PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell: reg season baseball champs > reg season basketball champs

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Obviously this is a matter of personal preference.

For me, the baseball post season doesn't dwarf the previous three months the way the NCAA Basketball Tournament does.

Nationally, the difference in publicity and promotion is a 100-1 in favor of college basketball, but I'm not overly concerned with that.

I couldn't tell you if we won the SEC in '96 or not. Whether we did or didn't would't change how enjoyable that run was...

On the other hand: SEC Basketball Tournament > the Baseball version in a walk.

Meanwhile, all is going according to plan, and unless the weather screws us, we'll be happy Saturday afternoon.

MadDawg
05-18-2016, 11:27 AM
SEC baseball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SEC basketball

And I don't think I put enough "greater than" signs in there.

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2016, 11:29 AM

For me, the baseball post season doesn't dwarf the previous three months the way the NCAA Basketball Tournament does.

Nationally, the difference in publicity and promotion in a 100-1 in favor of college basketball, but I'm not overly concerned with that.

I couldn't tell you if we won the SEC in '96 or not. Whether we did or didn't would't change how enjoyable that run was...

Meanwhile, all is going according to plan, and unless the weather screws us, we'll be happy Saturday afternoon.

SELL in bulk. College baseball is a minor sport with basically regional appeal. College basketball is a major nationwide sport.

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Sell, they are equally irrelevant. Obviously it's more prestigious to win baseball because that would mean you're a better team. But ultimately, in my mind, your seeding in the tournament is more important.

I qualify programs based on things like number of national seeds, regional hosts, and Omaha appearances. Not SEC titles.

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 11:31 AM
SELL in bulk. College baseball is a minor sport with basically regional appeal. College basketball is a major nationwide sport.

"Major" and "minor" is only matter of what other people like in other places. I do not care at all about that.

Johnson85
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Nationally, the difference in publicity and promotion in a 100-1 in favor of college basketball, but I'm not overly concerned with that.

It all comes down to how pissed you'd be with a regular season champ that craps out in the NCAA tournament. I'd be much more pissed about the basketball team crapping out in the NCAA tournament, but that's probably just because I like basketball more. If we were to win the SEC and then crap out in a regional, would baseball fans still think of it as a good season ended by a fluke loss or two in the post season? Or would they be pissed like basketball fans?

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Sell, they are equally irrelevant.

Hardly irrelevant. It's partially analogous to winning a pennant.. not the ultimate goal, but something to be legitimately proud of. There is no reason to demean the achievement just because there are larger accomplishments for a select few.

Is getting to Omaha irrelevant if you don't win?

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 11:36 AM
"Major" and "minor" is only matter of what other people like in other places. I do not care at all about that.

Agreed. Already been 2 responses based on people's sports preferences, and I think that has no bearing. The two sports are identical in the fact that it's all about the postseason tournament.

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Hardly irrelevant. It's partially analogous to winning a pennant.. not the ultimate goal, but something to be legitimately proud of. There is no reason to demean the achievement just because there are larger accomplishment for a select few.

Is getting to Omaha irrelevant if you don't win?

No, but it's all about perception. Postseason accolades are seen as a more successful season.

If you're judging a PROGRAM trajectory.....then I think the regular season success is more telling.

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Sell.

Baseball is for foreigners and old men.**

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 11:42 AM
No, but it's all about perception. Postseason accolades are seen as a more successful season.

If you're judging a PROGRAM trajectory.....then I think the regular season success is more telling.

I guess there are a lot of ways to look at it, as you suggest.

How about the pleasure of week after week of high level play -- which our guys have given us for the most part this year -- versus the end of year crescendo? Obviously, the end of the year is more intense and memorable, but at age 60 I will take my satisfactions where I can.

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Sell.

Baseball is for foreigners and old men.**

Yer thinkin' about kick soccer, but it's foreigners and women and children

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Agreed. Already been 2 responses based on people's sports preferences, and I think that has no bearing. The two sports are identical in the fact that it's all about the postseason tournament.

But the two sports are NOT identical in national stature. College baseball is and always will be a minor sport overall.

TrapGame
05-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Yer thinkin' about kick soccer, but it's foreigners and women and children

Soccer is for communists and third world countries.

HSVDawg
05-18-2016, 12:23 PM

In terms of overall signifigance, the basketball championship is far more prestigious just due to the visibility of the sport.

In terms of overall difficulty to achieve, the baseball championship is far more prestigious because SEC baseball as a whole is so much better and more competitive than SEC basketball.

In the end its in the eye of the beholder. I'm pretty biased myself because I was in school in 2004 when we made that great run to the regular season basketball title, and I'll never forget how much fun it was that entire year and especially in Coleman Coliseum when Timmy hit the shot to clinch the title. It was especially significant considering how terrible we were in football at that time, and how mediocre we were in baseball at least compared to now. Getting bounced by Xavier was certainly disappointing but it in no way cheapened the season for me. This season in baseball, as fun as its been, doesn't even come close to that 2004 run in basketball in terms of excitement.

War Machine Dawg
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Buy in bulk. SEC baseball may be tougher than SEC football. SEC basketball is barely mid-major quality outside of 2-3 teams. Winning the baseball title is wayyyyyy harder and more impressive.

drunkernhelldawg
05-18-2016, 01:03 PM
People took first notice of us when we dominated Kentucky for the SEC Tournament Championship. That's when our run got on the national radar.

AlmostPositive
05-18-2016, 01:25 PM
People took first notice of us when we dominated Kentucky for the SEC Tournament Championship. That's when our run got on the national radar.

That is the way I remember it too. If it had been anyone but Kemtucky, we wouldn't have gotten that early notoriety.

Political Hack
05-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Final Four > Omaha

Omaha > Sweet 16

The rest is a consolation prize that's just nice to have. That said, I'll take an SEC championship in either.

Commercecomet24
05-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Buy in bulk. SEC baseball may be tougher than SEC football. SEC basketball is barely mid-major quality outside of 2-3 teams. Winning the baseball title is wayyyyyy harder and more impressive.

Agree completely! Quality of play throughout the sec in baseball is of even higher quality than sec football. Running that gauntlet and coming out on top is truly an accomplishment!

I buy in bulk as well!

Taog Redloh
05-18-2016, 02:03 PM
But the two sports are NOT identical in national stature. College baseball is and always will be a minor sport overall.

But that's not what he asked. He asked about the most prestigious, relative to the sport.

dickiedawg
05-18-2016, 07:32 PM
This isn't a direct answer to the question but the rest of the thread made me think about this.
But if you tell me right now we'd win the SEC outright but lose in a super regional at home I would take that in the long run. This year is a little more difficult because we legitimately have a chance to win in Omaha. But if we were to only do one, losing the regular season title would be a bigger missed opportunity.

State82
05-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Put me in WMD's camp

RocketDawg
05-19-2016, 06:32 AM
SEC baseball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SEC basketball

And I don't think I put enough "greater than" signs in there.

I was wondering how the big three sports rank recently, and decided it could be determined by head coaches' salaries. At MSU, it's Mullen, Howland, then Cohen and I think that's true at all SEC schools other than Kentucky where it's Calipari, FB, then baseball.

mcain31
05-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Sell