PDA

View Full Version : Will Ole Miss lose the "Dan Werner exception" that makes Farrar a full time crooter?

PassInterference
05-17-2016, 12:16 PM
I understand that years ago, Ole Miss petitioned the NCAA to allow Dan Werner's recruiting duties to be allocated to Barney Farrar. Their selling point was that Dan Werner has a special needs child to care for and Dan can't be away from home for long stretches as recruiters need to do. That is understandable. NCAA granted this exception and allowed Barney Farrar to have Dan Werner's recruiting responsibilities.

But was this the right thing to do?

With all due respect to Dan Werner, letting Barney do the crootin has been unfair to the rest of college football. You see, Barney Farrar doesn't have to concern himself with coaching football. He has no position players. Has no offense or defense to coordinate. All those those coaching duties that keep coaches busy are non-starters for Barney. Barney gets to be a full-time crooter.

You wonder how Nkemdiche and their other big croots were Facebook-messaged 800 times each during their recruitment? There are rumors that graduate assistants did it. But it also helps to have a guy who's only job is "High School & Junior College relations" (recruiting).

Other schools don't have the luxury of a full-time recruiter who is unencumbered by coaching.

There should be no surprise that Barney Farrar's name was among those that have come up in Ole Miss's NCAA scandal. It seems predictable that the one full time crooter on staff would be a guy who's name came up in that.

I hope after the NCAA hammers Ole Miss, they also retract the Dan Werner deal that empowered Barney Farrar. Don't be an enabler, NCAA.

AlmostPositive
05-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Ole Miss is going to lose a lot things, special and otherwise. Like football scholarships, positive publicity, any semblance of integrity, kept-boy journalists, bowl victories, their current staff... the list goes on and on.

Saltydog
05-17-2016, 12:28 PM
the devil.

Johnson85
05-17-2016, 12:34 PM
I understand that years ago, Ole Miss petitioned the NCAA to allow Dan Werner's recruiting duties to be allocated to Barney Farrar. Their selling point was that Dan Werner has a special needs child to care for and Dan can't be away from home for long stretches as recruiters need to do. That is understandable. NCAA granted this exception and allowed Barney Farrar to have Dan Werner's recruiting responsibilities.

With all due respect to Dan Werner, letting Barney do the crootin has been unfair to the rest of college football. You see, Barney Farrar doesn't have to concern himself with coaching football. He has no position players. Has no offense or defense to coordinate. All those those coaching duties that keep coaches busy are non-starters for Barney. Barney gets to be a full-time crooter.

You wonder how Nkemdiche and their other big croots were Facebook-messaged 800 times each during their recruitment? There are rumors that graduate assistants did it. But it also helps to have a guy who's only job is "High School & Junior College relations" (recruiting).

Other schools don't have the luxury of a full-time recruiter who is unencumbered by coaching.

There should be no surprise that Barney Farrar's name was among those that have come up in Ole Miss's NCAA scandal. It seems predictable that the one full time crooter on staff would be a guy who's name came up in that.

I hope after the NCAA hammers Ole Miss, they also retract the Dan Werner deal that empowered Barney Farrar. Don't be an enabler, NCAA.

Did ole miss need an exception? I thought the only limitation was that you could only have a certain number of people be certified to recruit off campus. I was thinking Byrne or somebody took the test to be certified to recruit off campus for the transition between Croom and Mullen.

HSVDawg
05-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Did ole miss need an exception? I thought the only limitation was that you could only have a certain number of people be certified to recruit off campus. I was thinking Byrne or somebody took the test to be certified to recruit off campus for the transition between Croom and Mullen.

This is correct. There was no exception granted. You get a certain number of coaches that are allowed to recruit off campus and no more than that. It's unconventional to not have both of your coordinators granted that status, but each program can do as they please as long as they don't go over the quota. Personally I think it'd be nice if we stripped Hevesy of the privilege of going off campus and hired a recruiting guru of our own to fill that role.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-17-2016, 12:58 PM
http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2014/02/07/is-barney-farrar-ole-miss-secret-recruiting-star/

"Farrar is the assistant athletics director for high school and junior college relations for Ole Miss. In a typical situation, a person in that role wouldn’t go on the road and recruit, but Farrar does. The reason is that offensive coordinator Dan Werner doesn’t do much recruiting on the road due to a family situation.
NCAA bylaws allow you to replace a coach on the road due to extenuating circumstances and the SEC determined that Farrar replacing Werner on the road fit those requirements, according to Ole Miss compliance director Matt Ball."

mic
05-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Everything the do is dirty ..

Jack Lambert
05-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Yeah leave it to ole miss to use a kid's disability to cheat at recruiting.

maroonmania
05-17-2016, 01:22 PM

The exception should have NEVER been allowed. You don't change the rules for one institution. Are you telling me that no other assistant coaches out there have personal situations that make it difficult to travel? You know what people do that have jobs that require travel that don't want to travel? They find a different job, they don't go tell the boss that they need to keep the job that requires travel but need someone else to do their traveling for them.

AlmostPositive
05-17-2016, 01:28 PM
http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2014/02/07/is-barney-farrar-ole-miss-secret-recruiting-star/

"Farrar is the assistant athletics director for high school and junior college relations for Ole Miss. In a typical situation, a person in that role wouldn’t go on the road and recruit, but Farrar does. The reason is that offensive coordinator Dan Werner doesn’t do much recruiting on the road due to a family situation.
NCAA bylaws allow you to replace a coach on the road due to extenuating circumstances and the SEC determined that Farrar replacing Werner on the road fit those requirements, according to Ole Miss compliance director Matt Ball."

aka "bagman"

TrapGame
05-17-2016, 01:30 PM
The exception should have NEVER been allowed. You don't change the rules for one institution. Are you telling me that no other assistant coaches out there have personal situations that make it difficult to travel? You know what people do that have jobs that require travel that don't want to travel? They find a different job, they don't go tell the boss that they need to keep the job that requires travel but need someone else to do their traveling for them.

Too bad one of those filthy rich Plantation alums couldn't help Werner out. Throw him some side cash to help his kid and allow him to do his job. I thought they were in the people heppin' bid'ness.

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Can you imagine how awesome it would be to replace Hevesy on the recruiting trail with Brad Peterson?

TrapGame
05-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Can you imagine how awesome it would be to replace Hevesy on the recruiting trail with Brad Peterson?

Would it work if we said it was just Hevesy that was special needs?

maroonmania
05-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Can you imagine how awesome it would be to replace Hevesy on the recruiting trail with __________?

FIFY

Johnson85
05-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Is Hevesy being a guy that recruits hate an "extenuating circumstance"?

Coach34
05-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Would it work if we said it was just Hevesy that was special needs?

ive been laughing at this for 5 mins now