PDA

View Full Version : Engie or someone who knows, how will we be set next year, after draft casualties?

IMissJack
05-16-2016, 07:55 PM
I assume with the way Cohen has been recruiting, we will have some good youngsters to step in.

dickiedawg
05-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Hard to say without knowing who all will leave. Our whole lineup just about is draft eligible, plus our top 2 starters.

engie
05-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Next year will be a transition year toward another peak year in 2018. How far we step back is going to depend on the growth on the pitching staff and a few of the hitters this summer, as well as the incoming guys.

This is a peak -- 2018 will be a peak -- what happens in the middle can still be pretty dang good -- but I'd expect less.

Todd4State
05-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Depends on how the pitchers do this summer. I'll take a very early wild guess for fun.

Weekend guys- Small, Breaux, Pilkington

Midweek- Cyr, Keegan James, Mitchell Miller if he comes to school, Mason Robbins if he comes to school.

Top relief guys- Jacob Barton (JUCO), Rigby, Billingsley, Paul Young, Tatum, Colin Holderman (JUCO), Padgett, Keegan James, Ashcraft, Self.

Catchers- Kruger, Marrero

1B- Gordon or Rooker but there is a chance Lowe comes back.
2B- Gridley
3B- Harrison Bragg (JUCO)
SS- Luke Alexander

LF- Mangum
CF- Robson
RF- Hopefully Chance Goldwater (JUCO)

DH- Rooker/Gordon

What it comes down to is how the JUCO guys perform and if the guys that are freshmen now can make a jump to the rotation.

Brando
05-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Todd you really see Self as a relief guy? I would rhink he should be given the chance in the midweek rotation first, but I think he eventually moves into maybe a Sunday role, if he even makes it here. I have heard very, VERY good things about this kid.

Todd4State
05-16-2016, 11:38 PM
As a freshman- yes. I do think he will be a SEC weekend guy eventually as his career progresses. We have a LOT of young talent as far as pitching goes. And as I have said in the past before- I usually don't like to heap high expectations on any freshman because you just never know how they are going to perform and how quickly they are going to adjust. It's just not fair to them to do so.

Now, if Self comes in and is able to take that mantle, I absolutely have no problem with it.

It_Could_Happen
05-17-2016, 01:14 AM
Out of the 3 you named, I would have Pilkington going on Fridays.

Bothrops
05-17-2016, 01:22 AM
Do we expect Collins to be gone?

somebodyshotmypaw
05-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Depends on how the pitchers do this summer. I'll take a very early wild guess for fun.

Midweek- Cyr, Keegan James, Mitchell Miller if he comes to school, Mason Robbins if he comes to school.

Top relief guys- Jacob Barton (JUCO), Rigby, Billingsley, Paul Young, Tatum, Colin Holderman (JUCO), Padgett, Keegan James, Ashcraft, Self.

2B- Gridley
SS- Luke Alexander

LF- Mangum
CF- Robson

DH- Rooker/Gordon

What it comes down to is how the JUCO guys perform and if the guys that are freshmen now can make a jump to the rotation.

What about Hunter Stovall and Noah Hughes? You don't have them listed at all. Where do they fit?

Homedawg
05-17-2016, 07:21 AM
What about Hunter Stovall and Noah Hughes? You don't have them listed at all. Where do they fit?

Stovall will be in the picture. Noah will be coming off of arm surgery. Good chance he redshirts next year.

engie
05-17-2016, 07:23 AM
If that many seniors come back, I will revise my position a little.

Really don't like giving one until we've made it thru the draft and into the early part of the summer where I can see which light bulbs are turning on. Although I still think 2018 is the next true peak year.

DogDaddy
05-17-2016, 09:00 AM

2B- Gridley
SS- Luke Alexander

LF- Mangum
CF- Robson

DH- Rooker/Gordon

IMO I don't think there's anyway on earth Robson is back and I'm very doubtful on Rooker. But if he is back, he'll be one of the OF not 1b.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2016, 09:37 AM
IMO I don't think there's anyway on earth Robson is back and I'm very doubtful on Rooker. But if he is back, he'll be one of the OF not 1b.

Rooker, Robson, and Kruger will all be gone.

Backwoodsdawg
05-17-2016, 10:26 AM

2B- Gridley
SS- Luke Alexander

LF- Mangum
CF- Robson

DH- Rooker/Gordon

Gridley will most likely be the SS again next year. He has beat out last years guy and Belmont way before he was hurt this year so I don't know what will happen. He has been about as solid a ss as you can ask for in my opinion. He does however need to work on quickness so he has a tad more range.

Taog Redloh
05-17-2016, 10:30 AM

2B- Gridley
SS- Luke Alexander

LF- Mangum
CF- Robson

DH- Rooker/Gordon

You have lost your mind. Stovall is going to be playing on the infield, brah, at whatever position Gridley is not. Robson is going pro, and Mangum is the CF. Marrero is going to catch 90% of the time. I don't expect Young back at all. I also think Padgett, if he doesn't transfer, will be in the mix for a rotation spot.

This is where you and I differ, when projecting players. Yeah we all miss a time or two (Reynolds), but I don't think you really want me to line up all your misses (I'll start with Barfield and Rigby if you decide to play that game).

Taog Redloh
05-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Do we expect Collins to be gone?

Yes.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Confidence Level on Returning after Draft (total guesses):

Robson 60%
Collins 40%
Hump 10%
Hudson 0%
Sexton 0%
Kruger 55%
Lowe 30%
Rooker 45%

messageboardsuperhero
05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Y'all are more pessimistic on Rooker than me. I think we have a good chance of keeping him, as he'd be a junior coming back and still have all his leverage.

We will see on some of these guys. We have a lot of draft risks but only a few I'd consider sure things to go. I expect us to lose most but keep a couple too.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Robson 60%
Collins 40%
Hump 10%
Hudson 0%
Sexton 0%
Kruger 55%
Lowe 30%
Rooker 45%

Rooker is the only 1 of those I see with even a chance to come back & I'm starting to think he's gone too.

Brando
05-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Just for shits and giggles, what if somehow we only lost Hudson who is a sure fire top 15 pick? What of everyone else decided to come back and go for it all. How dangerous would this team be!! (This will never happen, i understand that.)

Taog Redloh
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Rooker is the only 1 of those I see with even a chance to come back & I'm starting to think he's gone too.

Well they have to get drafted first in order to be "gone", and there's no guarantees all those guys get taken.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Yep, every player he listed is gone.

We will be pretty strong up the middle though with: Marrero, Mangum, Gridley and Stovall. And then Alexander can play 3B. Or Alexander can play SS with Gridley at 2B and Stovall at 3B. Either way, we are in good shape at 5 key positions. Finding a LF, RF, and 1B with all the other players should be relatively easy. We will just need some guys, particularly Ethan Small, to make some strides over the summer. If that happens, and another freshman emerges like Mangum this year, we will be solid. Agree that 2018 should be a peak year. Hopefully, it's in the new ball park.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Yep, every player he listed is gone.

We will be pretty strong up the middle though with: Marrero, Mangum, Gridley and Stovall. And then Alexander can play 3B. Or Alexander can play SS with Gridley at 2B and Stovall at 3B. Either way, we are in good shape at 5 key positions. Finding a LF, RF, and 1B with all the other players should be relatively easy. We will just need some guys, particularly Ethan Small, to make some strides over the summer. If that happens, and another freshman emerges like Mangum this year, we will be solid. Agree that 2018 should be a peak year. Hopefully, it's in the new ball park.

Cole Gordon will play 1b.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Cole Gordon will play 1b.

Probably. Not ready to give it to him just yet though.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Well they have to get drafted first in order to be "gone", and there's no guarantees all those guys get taken.

And they have to get drafted at an acceptable round vs strengthening resume another season. They'll all get drafted.

maroonmania
05-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Robson 60%
Collins 40%
Hump 10%
Hudson 0%
Sexton 0%
Kruger 55%
Lowe 30%
Rooker 45%

I expect Sexton to go but he is certainly not the 2nd most likely to go and his percentage of returning is significantly higher than several others on that list.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-17-2016, 02:43 PM
I expect Sexton to go but he is certainly not the 2nd most likely to go and his percentage of returning is significantly higher than several others on that list.

Pitcher is much more likely to go than an offensive player.

IMissJack
05-17-2016, 05:29 PM
And they have to get drafted at an acceptable round vs strengthening resume another season. They'll all get drafted.

Well, I know they are individually graded for the draft, but the higher we go, and the more noise we make this post season, the more looks they will get by scouts. Probably will move them all up, the higher we go.