PDA

View Full Version : D1baseball chat starts at 1:30

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:13 PM
http://www.d1baseball.com/d1chat.php

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Comment From Brian
Who do you guys think will come out on top in the SEC Race this weekend?
via?9 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Brian,
I still like Florida's chances, but wouldn't be surprised if either Miss State or A&M win it. Miss State could sweep, and I think A&M could at home against Ole Miss as well. For Ole Miss, it really needs to win that opener with Bramlett on the mound.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Comment From Brian
How big has it been for #hailstate to have found their Sunday starter in Pilkington the last 4 or 5 weeks?
via?8 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Brian,
Huge, before it was sone of those situations where you had two quality starters, and that situation became magnified when Dakota Hudson went through his little struggles. Now, that's a really quality 1-2-3 rotation.
via?8 minutes ago

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Comment From KD
With Texas Tech clinching the Big 12 without playing a game this weekend, are they a hard lock for a National Seed now, assuming they win the home series against suddenly hot WVU?
via?5 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
The only chance Texas Tech has to not get a national seed is if it losses the WVU series or has enough losses in the conference tournament to fall below the 16-18 mark in the RPI. As awesome as this team is, being in the 20s RPI-wise might be a bad recipe. With that said, Tech only needs one win this weekend to stay in the Top 16. That bodes well. Tech also cannot get to the Top 8 as of now, according to Boyds World's Needs report.
via?5 minutes ago

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Comment From Zach
After Mississippi States sweep of Auburn, what do you think of their chances of securing a national seed and how are they looking as a team right now?
via?less than a minute ago

Kendall Rogers:
Zach -- No slip ups against Arkansas this weekend and I think they ultimately join the locked discussion with Florida and A&M. UF and the Aggies are pretty much locked up at this point.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Comment From Josh
Will a sweep lock Mississippi State as a national seed

Aaron Fitt:
I think the Bulldogs are already almost a lock. As long as they don't get swept at home by Arkansas this weekend, I think they're golden. Heck, even if they did get swept this weekend, they'd still have a decent shot at a national seed.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Comment From Guest
Where does the ACC host/nat seed race stand? In particular, is there anything Miami and Louisville need to do to lock a National Seed up? Also, has UVA moved into pole position for the 3rd nat seed?
via?3 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Guest,
I think Miami and Louisville are pretty much done deals at this point. With that said, the final spot from the ACC is pretty much up in the air right now and anyone would go grab it, assuming the ACC is a three national seed league. i would give the edge to Virginia right now with the way it is playing ... It's a tough, tough call, however.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Comment From Rebel
If Ole Miss wins one game in College Station this weekend, how do they look for a national seed?
via?3 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Won't be a national seed with one win in college station.
via?3 minutes ago

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Comment From Jason
I understand this is all guesswork on your parts. But looking at baseball across the country, will the committee actually name 7 SEC teams as regional hosts. Right now you have to think 5 are locks, Fla, A&M, SC, Miss and Miss. St., with LSU and Vandy clearly two of the best 16 teams in the country. With the West Coast so subpar this year, do you think this could happen?
via?8 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Kendall and Kyle both think this is a real possibility, I believe. But I really don't see it happening. I do agree that those seven teams are among the best 16 teams in the country... but the way this even is set up, you just have to have some geographic and conference variety. I mean, if 14 of the country's best 16 teams are in the ACC or SEC (and honestly, that might very well be true), should we have 14 regionals in those two leagues? I don't think so. If all the best teams in the NFL happen to be in the AFC, should we just not let the NFC have any playoff teams? I mean, you have to compare teams in their regions and leagues, that's the way all team sports are set up. If you happen to be the 10th-best team in the country, and you're in a league that has six other better teams -- too bad for you. Finish in the top six next time. I say all this believing that Vanderbilt is unlikely to host if the season ended today -- even though I think Vanderbilt is one of the most talented teams in the country. Vanderbilt could be a No. 2 seed in a regional that has a very legitimate chance to win the national championship because of its pitching. But that doesn't mean they should host as the 7th team in the SEC.
via?8 minutes ago

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 02:20 PM
4 New
Comment From Eddie
Kendall, a little confused by your answer back on the LSU question. He asked about hosting and being a national seed. I agree a national seed would take a series win/sweep over Florida and at least a top 2 finish in Hoover. But I would have to think hosting a sub would be a pretty decent bet right now, barring getting swept by Florida and a poor performance in Hoover.
via?5 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Eddie -- Yeah, maybe I read it wrong. I feel good about LSU hosting right now. Lose the UF series and I think they need to play well in Hoover, but remember, the last couple of host sites are always pretty fluid the next couple of weeks.

Brando
05-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Holy Hell!! They answered my questuon. Put up what I asked bout Mangum and what they said.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Comment From Jim
If Florida State wins the series vs Miami do you think they have a chance at a National Seed?
via?21 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Yes, but that series is a must-win for them to have a shot.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Comment From Commodore Tiger
Bottom line: If the tournament selection were today, how many regionals and national seeds does the SEC get?
via?11 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Four national seeds, six hosts ... you could argue there could be 7, but I'm with Aaron, I don't see that happening really.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Comment From Luke
Where do you think Texas Tech would finish in the ACC & SEC this year?
via?10 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Oh, probably middle of the pack. I mean, the Red Raiders are pretty darn good -- I really like their offense... but I don't know that their rotation really stacks up against the best in those other leagues, especially the SEC. TTU is probably comparable to somebody like NC State or Virginia or Georgia Tech, all of whom also have good offenses but not as much depth in the rotation. Of course, all three of those teams also have at least one legit rotation horse (Brian Brown, Connor Jones and Brandon Gold), whereas I don't think Texas Tech really does.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Comment From Jordan
If Southern Miss can go to FIU this weekend and sweep the series and finish first in conference usa regular season. Do you think that will lock Hattiesburg in for a host? How far do you think USM can go into the tournament?
via?7 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Jordan,
I've said all along if the C-USA champ is Rice or USM, they will host. So, yep, win that series and win the league, and the Eagles are more than likely hosting.

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Comment From NMsucks
What do you think about Jake Mangum for Freshman of Year?
via?5 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Love Jake, but almost I'm impossible to not go with Seth Beer with his overall production.
via?5 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Beer, by the way, is still fourth in the nation in OPS.
via?5 minutes ago

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:03 PM
and that's all.

i didn't post every response.. just ones most of us would be interested in..SEC and national seed stuff.

Political Hack
05-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Awesome. Thanks for posting Scoob.

GreenheadDawg
05-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks for posting this scooba. I'm pretty pumped about the next several weeks. If our bullpen can nut up, this team can go far.

maroonmania
05-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Comment From Jason
I understand this is all guesswork on your parts. But looking at baseball across the country, will the committee actually name 7 SEC teams as regional hosts. Right now you have to think 5 are locks, Fla, A&M, SC, Miss and Miss. St., with LSU and Vandy clearly two of the best 16 teams in the country. With the West Coast so subpar this year, do you think this could happen?
via?8 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Kendall and Kyle both think this is a real possibility, I believe. But I really don't see it happening. I do agree that those seven teams are among the best 16 teams in the country... but the way this even is set up, you just have to have some geographic and conference variety. I mean, if 14 of the country's best 16 teams are in the ACC or SEC (and honestly, that might very well be true), should we have 14 regionals in those two leagues? I don't think so. If all the best teams in the NFL happen to be in the AFC, should we just not let the NFC have any playoff teams? I mean, you have to compare teams in their regions and leagues, that's the way all team sports are set up. If you happen to be the 10th-best team in the country, and you're in a league that has six other better teams -- too bad for you. Finish in the top six next time. I say all this believing that Vanderbilt is unlikely to host if the season ended today -- even though I think Vanderbilt is one of the most talented teams in the country. Vanderbilt could be a No. 2 seed in a regional that has a very legitimate chance to win the national championship because of its pitching. But that doesn't mean they should host as the 7th team in the SEC.
via?8 minutes ago

If the regionals are based on merit then whoever the best 16 teams are absolutely should get the regionals. But if its just about "spreading the wealth" to all parts of the country then I guess not.

blacklistedbully
05-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Comment From Rebel
If Ole Miss wins one game in College Station this weekend, how do they look for a national seed?
via?3 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
via?3 minutes ago

:rolleyes:

smootness
05-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Beer is a shoo-in for national FOY. But Mangum will be a shoo-in for SEC FOY.

maroonmania
05-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Comment From Rebel
via?3 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
via?3 minutes ago

Only a true jaded Bear fan would think they have a shot at a national seed with just one win this weekend at TA&M.

Todd4State
05-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Only a true jaded Bear fan would think they have a shot at a national seed with just one win this weekend at TA&M.

They are in contention with South Carolina for the last National Seed from the SEC IMO. And South Carolina has Alabama on the road while they have to play Texas A&M on the road. Advantage South Carolina.

Coach34
05-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Aaron Fitt:
I think the Bulldogs are already almost a lock. As long as they don't get swept at home by Arkansas this weekend, I think they're golden. Heck, even if they did get swept this weekend, they'd still have a decent shot at a national seed.

thanks Aaron for backing up what I said this weekend

GreenheadDawg
05-16-2016, 06:18 PM
They are in contention with South Carolina for the last National Seed from the SEC IMO. And South Carolina has Alabama on the road while they have to play Texas A&M on the road. Advantage South Carolina.

And USC swept OM, correct?

AlmostPositive
05-16-2016, 06:25 PM

I'd have to say yeah. They did.

CadaverDawg
05-16-2016, 06:31 PM

In Oxford too

msbulldog
05-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks Scooba, best thread I've read in a while!

State82
05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Great job Scooba. Thanks for the thread.

preachermatt83
05-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Holy Hell!! They answered my questuon. Put up what I asked bout Mangum and what they said.

Comment From NMsucks
What do you think about Jake Mangum for Freshman of Year?
via?5 minutes ago

Kendall Rogers:
Love Jake, but almost I'm impossible to not go with Seth Beer with his overall production.
via?5 minutes ago

Aaron Fitt:
Beer, by the way, is still fourth in the nation in OPS.
via?5 minutes ago

Nice username Brando.

Brando
05-16-2016, 10:58 PM
thanks Aaron for backing up what I said this weekend

and rhs same thing. Few of us have been saying for awhile.

Brando
05-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Nice username Brando.

It took a long time to think of a handle to use***

DancingRabbit
05-16-2016, 11:08 PM

I chuckled. That will be in the Bulldog lexicon for a while.

Todd4State
05-16-2016, 11:34 PM

Yes- and that could be a sticking point for both. The other sticking point for both of them is their lack of quality road wins- but South Carolina probably has the edge there because of their sweep over Ole Miss. Ole Miss certainly could get a National Seed- but they're going to have to earn it this weekend because that's their last shot. Really the only things Ole Miss has that are impressive are home wins over Louisville, LSU, and a road win over Coastal Carolina.

My guess if I had to make a prediction as to what will happen- I think both South Carolina and Ole Miss host but either South Carolina gets the National Seed or neither of them get it and they just give the SEC three National Seeds to Florida, Texas A&M and MSU. And I would not be surprised at all if Alabama wins the South Carolina series.

ZedFedder
05-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Extremely thankful for you posting pertinent questions, Scooba. You da man!

Brando
05-17-2016, 09:14 AM
If NM wins the A&M series, they have a good shot at a seed. If they dont, they wont get a seed. They haveba loosing record against the top 25 rpi. They have hardly no good road wins. The only "challenge" they have had was USCe and they got that ass handed to them. They will have to really show out against A&M to make it. They will host tho.
But more imortantly, WE ARE a national seed and are tied for the SECW lead. The SEC overall is hovering right in front of our face. Oh and as usual NMsucks.

Backwoodsdawg
05-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Good job Scooba!

AlmostPositive
05-17-2016, 11:21 AM
If OM sweeps A&M in College Station, they will deserve a National Seed.

Sadly for them, it is less likely than Laremy Tunsil winning the Nobel Prize for Physics this year.