PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft express blurb on Newman's combine showing

Irondawg
05-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Malik Newman: While he was a bit better Friday than Thursday, Newman still had a lot of the same struggles that marred him at Mississippi State. He's a streaky shooter, doesn't have a great feel for the game and is a bit small for a shot-making two-guard with marginal results. Newman would greatly benefit from returning to school as trying to fight his way onto a team (either as a second-round pick or undrafted free agent) at age 19 is no easy task. If he is absolutely set on staying in the draft, his best bet may end up being a one-year, D-League draft and stash player.

RougeDawg
05-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Basically what we all saw all season. A kid who wasn't even in the top 2-3 best players on his collegiate team, thinking he's a one and done guy.

Is the same guy who gave Bear "advice", also advising Malik?

Coach34
05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
The problem starts at the top. Dad has been told for 5 years now his kid is one and done....they gonna be rich. Wellllll, that didn't work out so now they need some acceptance of where they are.

Dawg61
05-16-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm tired of this story. When does it end?

sorrydog
05-16-2016, 02:46 PM
So the results are in and.....
we want you back Malik! Come back home and let's make MSU basketball Great Again!!

ScoobaDawg
05-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm tired of this story. When does it end?

Then ignore it....
the correct answer is

June 13 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 p.m. ET)

So at 3:59 central... He will decide.

Irondawg
05-16-2016, 03:55 PM
I watched his second combine game and agree with the comment that he has no feel for the game. He would get past his guy off the dribble and then have no idea what do do next and would end up in the lane and just kick it out most of the time. Zero defensive awareness as we witnessed in NCAA games.

He's so hard to project because of that. You'll see some talent flashes but other than outside shooting none of the rest of his game comes together well. That's the one thing that stood out about Q - his natural sense of court awareness and that's what helped him have such a great freshman season.

I watch him and I just really wonder about the potential growth curve. He didn't act (at MSU or combine) like an alpha dog scorer and he doesn't do enough other things to be anything other than a zone buster secondary player. At the same time you see a guy who's pure athletic talent is not off from the rest of the guys at an invite only NBA combine.

Something just needs to click for him on the type of player he wants to be for him to succeed at any level in my opinion.

mparkerfd20
05-16-2016, 04:37 PM
I'd rather he stay in the draft to be completely honest.

blacklistedbully
05-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I'd rather he stay in the draft to be completely honest.

C'mon, man. Give him another year under Howland and watch what he can turn into. Ben would turn him into a much better player with more time.

Thrill1
05-16-2016, 04:51 PM
He's a streaky shooter, doesn't have a great feel for the game and is a bit small for a shot-making two-guard with marginal results. Newman would greatly benefit from returning to school ...

Well this settles it. He's gone.

BB30
05-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Question for NBA draft followers. I don't remember where they had him projected out of high school. Was he a projected late 1st round guy or was he a 2nd round guy out of high school?

maroonmania
05-16-2016, 05:20 PM
The problem starts at the top. Dad has been told for 5 years now his kid is one and done....they gonna be rich. Wellllll, that didn't work out so now they need some acceptance of where they are.

Being quite honest, this is a case of what the "one year in college" rule was supposed to help. If a guy could be drafted straight from HS then yes, Malik would have been a high first rounder and likely a total bust for that organization (or at least a bust from the perspective of what a high first rounder is suppose to be). This is the type thing that was killing the NBA with quality of play and killing individual franchises that invested all this money in guys that were nowhere near ready to contribute. Just having guys play one year against D1 collegiate competition exposes a player's weaknesses and the overall quality of their game against real competition where an NBA team can tell so much more about what they are getting in a player. Malik may stay in and go as either a late second rounder or undrafted but his overall game is not developed enough yet to truly be NBA ready. That much is obvious to most anyone.

shannondawg
05-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Being quite honest, this is a case of what the "one year in college" rule was supposed to help. If a guy could be drafted straight from HS then yes, Malik would have been a high first rounder and likely a total bust for that organization (or at least a bust from the perspective of what a high first rounder is suppose to be). This is the type thing that was killing the NBA with quality of play and killing individual franchises that invested all this money in guys that were nowhere near ready to contribute. Just having guys play one year against D1 collegiate competition exposes a player's weaknesses and the overall quality of their game against real competition where an NBA team can tell so much more about what they are getting in a player. Malik may stay in and go as either a late second rounder or undrafted but his overall game is not developed enough yet to truly be NBA ready. That much is obvious to most anyone.

Except Malik and Horatio!