PDA

View Full Version : Pitching and defense has got to get better.....

Taog Redloh
05-16-2016, 10:02 AM
I know people salivate over bombs but we've got to get the ERA and errors down if we want to make noise in Omaha. Our BA is a good bit up, so yeah that'll offset some of it, but we are going to run up against some great pitchers and we have to be able to match that late in games. I think we can probably win a regional and super regional at home, but beyond that is gonna be tough.

Gavin Collins has got to quit making dumb errors.

Rigby, Brown and Smith have got to throw strikes.

That's all.

AlmostPositive
05-16-2016, 10:07 AM
We are playing well enough at the moment to beat any team we face.

If you just prefer complaining, I would start with base-running.

Bullsy
05-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I think we are especially missing a closer. Maybe Hump looks good sometimes but not always

DancingRabbit
05-16-2016, 10:11 AM
We've cut down on the walks. Need to keep that trend going.

Tighten up the defense and stupid base-running brain farts and we can win close games against good teams.

Taog Redloh
05-16-2016, 10:13 AM
I think we are especially missing a closer. Maybe Hump looks good sometimes but not always

Agreed. Scares me. I mean his ERA is 6 and SEC ERA is like 8. May just depend on how he feels because when he's on he's near un-hittable.

Tbonewannabe
05-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Agreed. Scares me. I mean his ERA is 6 and SEC ERA is like 8. May just depend on how he feels because when he's on he's near un-hittable.

Noticed his last outing that he struck out the side, he was hitting 94-95. Yesterday he was hitting 89-90. I really hope it was just an off day and not that his arm is getting tired.

msstate7
05-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Noticed his last outing that he struck out the side, he was hitting 94-95. Yesterday he was hitting 89-90. I really hope it was just an off day and not that his arm is getting tired.

That's a lot of difference. What was the deal with his arm during the bama series?

Gutter Cobreh
05-16-2016, 10:43 AM
At what point do some of you actually enjoy what is happening with the baseball team?

For everything that is holy, step back away from the analysis and nitpicking details to death. Simply enjoy the ride!!!

For the life of me, I can not grasp how we're number 4 in the country and looking a national seed yet hop on here and all the "experts" are ready and willing to point out minor flaws. We win Friday, but it wasn't by enough. We win Saturday, but we could lose Sunday and not sweep. We win yesterday, and my god we don't have a closer, our ERA is too high, and we make too many errors.

Hint - there will always be something negative to point out if you allow yourself. Instead, how about we enjoy this team for what they are doing and support them in a positive way!!!!

msstate7
05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
At what point do some of you actually enjoy what is happening with the baseball team?

For everything that is holy, step back away from the analysis and nitpicking details to death. Simply enjoy the ride!!!

For the life of me, I can not grasp how we're number 4 in the country and looking a national seed yet hop on here and all the "experts" are ready and willing to point out minor flaws. We win Friday, but it wasn't by enough. We win Saturday, but we could lose Sunday and not sweep. We win yesterday, and my god we don't have a closer, our ERA is too high, and we make too many errors.

Hint - there will always be something negative to point out if you allow yourself. Instead, how about we enjoy this team for what they are doing and support them in a positive way!!!!

For the life of me, I can't understand how people can't overlook others critiquing the baseball team. I just don't understand why people have to complain about others complaining

Taog Redloh
05-16-2016, 10:55 AM
That's a lot of difference. What was the deal with his arm during the bama series?

Same thing, just didn't feel 'on'. Against Mizzou, like Tbonewannabe said, he was deadly. Humphreys actually said after the game that he just felt great.

drunkernhelldawg
05-16-2016, 11:08 AM
I did think Sexton was sliding just before giving up the homer in the fifth Saturday. Luckily, we scored enough that it didn't matter. I think sometimes Cohen gives up a little to keep his long term in order. Overall, gotta have a lot of faith in our team at this point.

Also in that same inning,, would have already had three outs without a bad throw to second earlier in the inning. Went for the lead runner instead of taking the sure out. Cost us three runs.

Hypnodawg
05-16-2016, 11:12 AM
He seemed to be sweating a lot and it was the third game. I'm guessing he was tired.

GreenheadDawg
05-16-2016, 11:14 AM

I hate to be the Debbie downer but I agree with you. I'm not very optimistic on how deep we can go post season purely because of our bullpen. Our starters aren't going to throw complete games in Omaha. I seriously turn the channel when Rigby comes in, dude scares the shit out of me. He leaves way to many pitches up

Taog Redloh
05-16-2016, 11:15 AM
I did think Sexton was sliding just before giving up the homer in the fifth Saturday. Luckily, we scored enough that it didn't matter.
Agreed....I would have went and gotten him. We always take out our guys 2 guys too late. One thing I like about Bianco is he yanks the pitchers quickly.

tcdog70
05-16-2016, 11:22 AM
I hope the Stupid base running stops. How many times did we thrown out at second? This weekend.

BiscuitEater
05-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Gavin Collins has got to quit making dumb errors.

Disagree Goat. Collins has been MUCH improved lately. Unless I missed one, last error I can recall was the first game against Missouri. Meanwhile, he saved the 2nd Missou game with a great play on a high chopper with tying runner on 3rd.

My opinion .. our Staff ERA has gone from 4.51 last year to 3.45 this year while our slugging has soared to .457. EVERY hitting stat (HR, 3B, 2B and hits) has improved. Opp ERA is now 6.15 and that is against some good teams.

Right now .. A&M and MSU are the most complete baseball teams and NOBODY wants to play either.

msstate7
05-16-2016, 11:24 AM
Disagree Goat. Collins has been MUCH improved lately. Unless I missed one, last error I can recall was the first game against Missouri. Meanwhile, he saved the 2nd Missou game with a great play on a high chopper with tying runner on 3rd.

My opinion .. our Staff ERA has gone from 4.51 last year to 3.45 this year while our slugging has soared to .457. EVERY hitting stat (HR, 3B, 2B and hits) has improved. Opp ERA is now 6.15 and that is against some good teams.

Right now .. A&M and MSU are the most complete baseball teams and NOBODY wants to play either.

Collins should've been charged with an error this weekend. That "hit" was pretty dang generous

mstatefan91
05-16-2016, 11:29 AM

To be fair, Hump is not really a pitcher. The fact that he can come in and give us a few outs is amazing. Unfortunately, it means that he is not always going to be on.

So yes, you are right. We are missing a Holder (who always scared the crap out of me lol).

tcdog70
05-16-2016, 11:52 AM
I hope the Stupid base running stops. How many times did we thrown out at second? This weekend.

Brando
05-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Hump seems to do a hell of alot bettet when he actually plays the game in RF then comes in to close. The last 2 bad outings he has had, he sat the bench and then came in to close. Maybe he just takes more time to get loose and stuff. Hell I dont know. I do however know this team is HOT right now. Our bullpen has been better. Starters are going longer in the game. We are hitting excellent and have really really good clutch hitting with 2 outs when needed. The only thing I think is mental mistakes like base running or the thig where Lowe threw to 2nd when we had a big lead and should have just stepped on 1st for the out. He instead threw to LF and kept there inning alive. We will be going up against teams that if given the chance, can make games interesting quickly!
Collins should have been charged with an error Saturday. Instead the scorer gave dude a hit, prolly due to the fact that it scored a run or 2 I believe. He needs to clean it up a little, but he is much bettef than he was. He has aldo got to learn to quit trying to pull a 500 ft bomb everytime he swings. Sometimes, like the first pitcher yesterday, you gotta go with that outside pitch and take it to LF. Lowe does an amazing job of this. Collins seems to try way too hard AFTER someone else huts a bomb. He did it in the abat after Kruger hit one yesterday.
Overall, I think we are a very, very, dangerous team who could win the whole damn thing. We are meshing right now and as long as Cohen doesnt meddle and ruin the vide, were going to continue to be that way.

Oh, and F$&# Ole Piss....

maroonmania
05-16-2016, 01:45 PM
We've cut down on the walks. Need to keep that trend going.

Tighten up the defense and stupid base-running brain farts and we can win close games against good teams.

Baserunning blunders are what infuriate me. The reason being is that the only thing it takes to avoid them is to USE YOUR BRAIN. IF you hit a single right to the outfielder DON'T try to take second and get thrown out by 10 feet. IF you are on second and the ball doesn't leave the infield DON'T try to score and get thrown out at home by 10 feet. I mean just giving outs away on the basepath by doing something stupid is 100% avoidable for the most part. Now if we have a guy try to take an extra base where it makes sense to do so (like Humphreys did this past weekend on the ball off the wall) and the opposition makes a great throw to get you then OK, you tip your cap and move on, but on a lot of our baserunning outs it is nothing more than good ole everyday stupidity.

On defense, I wish in particular that our infield defense was better but every guy out there is trying to make a play on a ball and if a guy is just not a great defensive infielder there is not much that anyone can do about that. I mean you just have to live with it when they are the best option for that position on the team and they boot a ball. Physical errors are a lot easier to live with than mental errors that are uncalled for.

WPDawg
05-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Some people just have to "joe morgan" the situation until absolute perfection is achieved. Personally, I have enjoyed this team's evolution into a solid outfit. Going to be fun to see how far they can go.

HoopsDawg
05-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Baserunning blunders are what infuriate me. The reason being is that the only thing it takes to avoid them is to USE YOUR BRAIN. IF you hit a single right to the outfielder DON'T try to take second and get thrown out by 10 feet. IF you are on second and the ball doesn't leave the infield DON'T try to score and get thrown out at home by 10 feet. I mean just giving outs away on the basepath by doing something stupid is 100% avoidable for the most part. Now if we have a guy try to take an extra base where it makes sense to do so (like Humphreys did this past weekend on the ball off the wall) and the opposition makes a great throw to get you then OK, you tip your cap and move on, but on a lot of our baserunning outs it is nothing more than good ole everyday stupidity.

On defense, I wish in particular that our infield defense was better but every guy out there is trying to make a play on a ball and if a guy is just not a great defensive infielder there is not much that anyone can do about that. I mean you just have to live with it when they are the best option for that position on the team and they boot a ball. Physical errors are a lot easier to live with than mental errors that are uncalled for.

I endorse this post.