PDA

View Full Version : Fun Fact: With 6 games to go, Utah is in first place in the PAC 12

HSVDawg
05-15-2016, 04:08 PM
In case anyone was wondering, Utah has an overall record of 19-25 and an RPI of 125. 14 of their 19 wins are in conference. How in the hell does that happen?

ScoobaDawg
05-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Just crazy... the West coast is horrible in baseball this season.

tireddawg
05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
They are and I've wondered why that is. Do any teams from the SEC recruit heavily in that area?

CadaverDawg
05-15-2016, 04:22 PM
They are and I've wondered why that is. Do any teams from the SEC recruit heavily in that area?

Collins & Kruger are from Cali. Not sure about other SEC schools out there though

msstate7
05-15-2016, 04:27 PM

I bet mlb does

Todd4State
05-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Here's the thing about baseball in the West- there are a LOT of good/above average teams and not a lot of just terrible teams like Jackson State. They basically all beat each other up. What some of the PAC 12 teams do scheduling wise would almost be like us playing all ACC, American, and C-USA teams every week midweek and then playing the SEC on the weekend.

There are some benefits to playing someone like UT-Martin in that it allows us to rest guys, get guys out of slumps and try different things. Teams like USC and Stanford don't have that luxury.

HSVDawg
05-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Here's the thing about baseball in the West- there are a LOT of good/above average teams and not a lot of just terrible teams like Jackson State. They basically all beat each other up. What some of the PAC 12 teams do scheduling wise would almost be like us playing all ACC, American, and C-USA teams every week midweek and then playing the SEC on the weekend.

There are some benefits to playing someone like UT-Martin in that it allows us to rest guys, get guys out of slumps and try different things. Teams like USC and Stanford don't have that luxury.

Does Houston Baptist fall in that category of not terrible teams? Because they beat Utah 3 out of 4. I don't disagree with your overall point, but Utah is still very much an anomoly this year. It does seem like the West as a whole is not having a good year if a team like that can rise up and potentially win the PAC 12.

tireddawg
05-15-2016, 05:58 PM

May be the case in most years but this year they suck

Todd4State
05-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Does Houston Baptist fall in that category of not terrible teams? Because they beat Utah 3 out of 4. I don't disagree with your overall point, but Utah is still very much an anomoly this year. It does seem like the West as a whole is not having a good year if a team like that can rise up and potentially win the PAC 12.

I think Houston Baptist is a bad team- but I also don't consider Utah a good team either. So yes, they are an anomaly. Of course I was talking about the West in general terms. I think Oregon State, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, and Fullerton are all good teams though. Whether they should host a regional or not, I just say give the West one and move along.

All of this is getting discussed because for some reason some of the college baseball people don't want the South to dominate- which to me is like not wanting the North to dominate in college hockey. But if the West only gets one representative, the South is going to look that much more dominant.