PDA

View Full Version : SEC West tiebreakers

blacklistedbully
05-15-2016, 11:55 AM
If I am understanding the rules correctly, there is no way we can win the West if it involves a tie with aTm, including a 3-way because the first rule in a 3-way is winning % vs other teams tied for 1st.

The worst aTm could do is 3-3. We would be 2-4.

I have not been able to find an official tiebreaker for regular season champ.

In any case, we are going to have to decide if we could pull for UNM vs aTm if it means an SEC West Division banner.

spiritual_machine2005
05-15-2016, 11:58 AM
I have absolutely no problem routing for UM to win a game or two if it gives us the west or the whole SEC.

engie
05-15-2016, 12:16 PM
There are no tie breakers for the division or overall sec title. Only for seeding in a tournament that none of us really care about results-wise this season

State82
05-15-2016, 01:01 PM
I have absolutely no problem routing for UM to win a game or two if it gives us the west or the whole SEC.

Same here. Absolutely I would pull for them to win if it means first place in any situation, ties or not. As far as Hoover goes, I just want to avoid playing on Tuesday. After that, whatever happens is fine with me. Although I would prefer not going 2 and out.

weblow
05-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Any of you that think this team is going to go into Hoover and not try to win the whole damn thing don't know this team.

Also, I hope he majority of our fan base shows up and wants us to win in Hoover. I don't understand how some don't give a damn if we win there or not.

State82
05-15-2016, 01:56 PM
I'll be in Hoover when it starts Tuesday week and I will be pulling hard for us to win every time we step on the field. But, the big prize lies 900 miles to our west. That's the reason I'm fine with using the week in Hoover for however the staff wants to utilize that time on the field to make the team better. Be that getting young guys playing time, innings for little used arms, or whatever.

Dawg496
05-15-2016, 02:52 PM
What if tamu goes 2-0 with a rainout next weekend, and we finish 4-0?

Also obviously tamu has to lose today.

engie
05-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Hoover means nothing. And has been to some extent inversely proportional to what happens the following week under this regime. Go -- get our 3 starters their weekly starts -- and get ready to chase the real prize.

State82
05-15-2016, 03:19 PM

We take sole possession of first place on percentage points. In that scenario A&M would have a 0.690 winning percentage and we would be 0.700

BulldogBear
05-15-2016, 03:20 PM

Actually that would depend on today. If they lose to USCe they would be 20-9 and we would be 21-9, so we would win. If they win today they would be 21-8 and we would be 21-9, so they would win.

HSVDawg
05-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Hoover means nothing. And has been to some extent inversely proportional to what happens the following week under this regime. Go -- get our 3 starters their weekly starts -- and get ready to chase the real prize.

I don't know if that's 100% accurate. We had a nice run in Hoover prior to our run to the national championship series in 2013. In fact, we only lost once but it was in the single elimination portion of the bracket to a Vandy team that was loaded. The only time it was inversely proportional was in 2012 when we won the whole tourney with a team that was pretty limited offensively, and then ran into a hot hitting Samford team that we hust didn't match up well with at all. Truthfully, I don't think Hoover has much to do with anything that happens after.

weblow
05-15-2016, 04:01 PM
I don't know if that's 100% accurate. We had a nice run in Hoover prior to our run to the national championship series in 2013. In fact, we only lost once but it was in the single elimination portion of the bracket to a Vandy team that was loaded. The only time it was inversely proportional was in 2012 when we won the whole tourney with a team that was pretty limited offensively, and then ran into a hot hitting Samford team that we hust didn't match up well with at all. Truthfully, I don't think Hoover has much to do with anything that happens after.
It is our damn conf tourney. I think that means something. Our future for regionals will already be decided. It is about pride and playing to win. We won't kill our pitchers or anything like that but we play to win. Anything less is bullshit.

blacklistedbully
05-15-2016, 04:28 PM
There are no tie breakers for the division or overall sec title. Only for seeding in a tournament that none of us really care about results-wise this season

I think you're wrong about this. I'm pretty sure there are tiebreakers for Division Championships. As far as seeding for the tourney goes the 2 division-winners and the next 2 best records get first-round byes, I believe.

HSVDawg
05-15-2016, 04:49 PM
It is our damn conf tourney. I think that means something. Our future for regionals will already be decided. It is about pride and playing to win. We won't kill our pitchers or anything like that but we play to win. Anything less is bullshit.

Agree 100%.

engie
05-15-2016, 04:50 PM
I think you're wrong about this. I'm pretty sure there are tiebreakers for Division Championships. As far as seeding for the tourney goes the 2 division-winners and the next 2 best records get first-round byes, I believe.

IF we tie for the division -- we will get a SEC West Championship trophy from the conference office.

engie
05-15-2016, 04:53 PM

And how many games did we play there in 2013? The answer in that is the perfect amount -- which is what I called for then -- and what I'm also calling for now.

Hoover does not mean much. It's a consolation prize for teams that aren't playing for more that really shouldn't even exist anymore. We're about to be a national seed -- in the best season most of us remember -- and are one injury away from being totally screwed in the middle infield. I do not want to play 5 games there extending pitchers, catchers, and tempting fate with Holland/Gridley. Hoover means nothing when you are a team that can legitimately win a national title. And winning it all there extends the bullpen and pitching staff further than is even possible in regionals, supers, or in Omaha. No thanks. Get the 3 starters work, throw the midweek crew if we win all of the first 3, and take it to the house.

Todd4State
05-15-2016, 05:02 PM
And how many games did we play there in 2013? The answer in that is the perfect amount -- which is what I called for then -- and what I'm also calling for now.

Hoover does not mean much. It's a consolation prize for teams that aren't playing for more that really shouldn't even exist anymore. We're about to be a national seed -- in the best season most of us remember -- and are one injury away from being totally screwed in the middle infield. I do not want to play 5 games there. It means nothing. And winning it all there extends the bullpen and pitching staff further than is even possible in regionals, supers, or in Omaha. No thanks. Get the 3 starters work, throw the midweek crew if we win the first 3, and take it to the house.

It's a money making racket for the SEC. I'm not a big fan of the SEC Tournament.

AlmostPositive
05-15-2016, 05:15 PM
8-4 South Carolina in the 5th...we don't need no stinkin' tiebreakers.

HSVDawg
05-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Hoover does not mean much. It's a consolation prize for teams that aren't playing for more that really shouldn't even exist anymore. We're about to be a national seed -- in the best season most of us remember -- and are one injury away from being totally screwed in the middle infield. I do not want to play 5 games there extending pitchers, catchers, and tempting fate with Holland/Gridley. Hoover means nothing when you are a team that can legitimately win a national title. And winning it all there extends the bullpen and pitching staff further than is even possible in regionals, supers, or in Omaha. No thanks. Get the 3 starters work, throw the midweek crew if we win all of the first 3, and take it to the house.

Well if we get a first round bye like most think we will, it's not possible for us to play more than 4 games if we win the first two. If we lose one of the first two, we run the risk of not getting all our starters work if we don't win the other one. So it's a little bit of a slippery slope. In the end, you're talking about the difference between playing 3 games or 4 most likely, and I don't think that is much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. But your point about injuries to the middle infield is a valid one, and you should have led with that instead of implying that deep run in Hoover increases chances of an early exit from the regionals.

Todd4State
05-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Well if we get a first round bye like most think we will, it's not possible for us to play more than 4 games if we win the first two. If we lose one of the first two, we run the risk of not getting all our starters work if we don't win the other one. So it's a little bit of a slippery slope. In the end, you're talking about the difference between playing 3 games or 4 most likely, and I don't think that is much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. But your point about injuries to the middle infield is a valid one, and you should have led with that instead of implying that deep run in Hoover increases chances of an early exit from the regionals.

The tricky thing is you don't want to just let your starters rest for a week. I would definitely try to win it if I was Cohen, but I also wouldn't lose sleep over not winning it. I would just throw Dakota and Sexton like normal and I sure wouldn't extend them much past 100 pitches. If we win the first two, we get Friday off. That helps your staff.

The problem with 2012 was we had to go through the losers bracket. And we had to play some extra inning games that were pretty emotional/high stress. THAT was our problem that year.