PDA

View Full Version : RPI ups to 7... We're 4 wins from a certain National Seed.

AlmostPositive
05-14-2016, 05:39 AM
http://www.d1baseball.com/rpi/

And if Vandy and Ole Miss give us a little help, there's a decent chance we're SEC champs.

In a perfect world, we'd clinch the title on May 22, which could be a fun day for other reasons.

MetEdDawg
05-14-2016, 06:28 AM
It would be nice if some of our current Top 100 RPI wins stay that way. Mizzou is currently 100. Troy is 95. Oregon is 93 (what a complete disaster and lack of help they've been, and Oklahoma is 88. I know it's little stuff at this point, but that's 8 wins of ours that have the chance to be lost from our Top 100 RPI category.

In addition, Arkansas is at 89. We knew the end of the schedule wasn't the hardest, but it would be nice if those guys could find a way to stay in the Top 100 RPI.

AlmostPositive
05-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Maybe I read it wrong... it's currently 8 at D1.

Bucky Dog
05-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Maybe I read it wrong... it's currently 8 at D1.

I think we dropped from 7 to 8. Maybe NCState jumped us and OM.

Coach34
05-14-2016, 07:53 AM
I think 2 wins gets us a national seed at this point- 4 may get us a top 4 seed

preachermatt83
05-14-2016, 09:07 AM
I think 2 wins gets us a national seed at this point- 4 may get us a top 4 seed

That would put us losing one of these last two series. We will not be a national seed if that's the case. We will have to win both series.

TheRef
05-14-2016, 09:10 AM
That would put us losing one of these last two series. We will not be a national seed if that's the case. We will have to win both series.

If we sweep, we are locked in as a national seed. This is direct from one of my most reliable contacts.

Brando
05-14-2016, 09:16 AM
We can loose a game in each series and get a seed.

State82
05-14-2016, 09:53 AM
If we sweep, we are locked in as a national seed. This is direct from one of my most reliable contacts.

Do you mean just sweep AU regardless of what happens against Arky?

State82
05-14-2016, 09:57 AM
We can loose a game in each series and get a seed.

I could see that.

State82
05-14-2016, 10:04 AM

If we only win 2 more it could also mean we lose both series. No way in my opinion do we get a national seed under that scenario. 2-3 between now and Hoover makes us have to play on Tuesday in the SEC tourney and takes us out of national seed discussion but would still keep our host spot, the way I figure.

blacklistedbully
05-14-2016, 10:39 AM
We are 3 wins from a Top 5 seed, IMO. If we go 2-3 the rest of the way, we may drop to #8, but it will depend on what other teams do.

FSU is about to be knocked out of the NS, having lost 3 straight, and 5 of their last 9 to unranked teams. That opens up another spot should would falter slightly.

smootness
05-14-2016, 10:42 AM
We are a lock to host, no question. And we don't have to do that much more to get a national seed. I think a lot of our fans think we're a borderline national seed as it stands now, and I don't know why. We would likely be the 4 or 5 seed if the season ended right now. If we win both these last 2 series, it's a no-brainer, and even if we lose one of them, I still think we would be in.

It literally doesn't matter at all what those teams near a 100 RPI on our schedule do.

State82
05-14-2016, 10:55 AM
We are a lock to host, no question. And we don't have to do that much more to get a national seed. I think a lot of our fans think we're a borderline national seed as it stands now, and I don't know why. We would likely be the 4 or 5 seed if the season ended right now. If we win both these last 2 series, it's a no-brainer, and even if we lose one of them, I still think we would be in.

It literally doesn't matter at all what those teams near a 100 RPI on our schedule do.

As it stands right now, if today was selection day, I don't think we are anywhere near borderline national seed. We should be solidly in as a mid seed. Top 8 RPI, average ranking of all 7 polls between 3-4, what more is there? However, drop one of these last two series and we may be borderline. Drop them both and we're probably out.

One thing I'm unsure about is how Hoover may impact things if at all. At least from our perspective.

Brando
05-14-2016, 10:58 AM

Finally someone gets it....

blacklistedbully
05-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Finally someone gets it....

Dude, this is the same thing I said. ;) You, me, Smoot and a few others have been consistently saying this for a while.

Also, eveybody keep in mind, SCar has lost 3 of their last 4, and still have 2 left vs aTm. Both SCar & FSU are in greater danger of losing their NS than we are at this point.

Brando
05-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Dude, this is the same thing I said. ;) You, me, Smoot and a few others have been consistently saying this for a while.

Also, eveybody keep in mind, SCar has lost 3 of their last 4, and still have 2 left vs aTm. Both SCar & FSU are in greater danger of losing their NS than we are at this point.

I think FSU is out unless they win the ACC tourny. I now believe that Texas Tech is in. To me we are playing for a top 5 seed instead of a seed at all. We win out which os sweeping both AU and Arky, and say we win the SEC tourny, we may very well be looking at a top 2 seed. We are still very much in the hunt for the SEC west title and possibly overall title(need alot of luck).

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Guys It's simple. We were up to the #5 National Seed earlier this week. Take care of business and go 3-2 rest of the way and we are golden. Sweep out and we get the benefit of likely winning the SEC overall.

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Yep... UM vs TAMU and USC vs Bama will determine who gets that 4th National Seed between USC and UM..assuming UK doesn't do us a favor this weekend.

djaymsu5
05-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Yep... UM vs TAMU and USC vs Bama will determine who gets that 4th National Seed between USC and UM..assuming UK doesn't do us a favor this weekend.

Even if we sweep out and UM sweeps out or takes 2/3 from Texas A&M which I doubt, how would we jump Florida? They would have to lose atleast 1 or not 2 from Vandy at home and I don't see that happening.

mstatefan91
05-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Vandy plays too conservatively to beat UF one time, let alone twice at UF...

Coach34
05-14-2016, 12:33 PM

disagree. We are a basic lock at this point. Plus- other teams lose also

BulldogBear
05-14-2016, 12:48 PM
disagree. We are a basic lock at this point. Plus- other teams lose also

I'm any case Matt's math is off. If we only win two more it is a mathematical certainty that we will one of the series.

preachermatt83
05-14-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm any case Matt's math is off. If we only win two more it is a mathematical certainty that we will one of the series.

Think you misread my post. I said we need to win both.

mstatefan91
05-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Just win.

Coach34
05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
If we only win 2 more it could also mean we lose both series..

We are up 1-0 on Auburn. It would be impossible to win 2 more games and lose both series

BulldogBear
05-14-2016, 01:26 PM

You did. Case of bad memory. It was State82's post I was thinking of. He was quoting yours!

Coach34
05-14-2016, 01:29 PM

and word is that we dont. We are closer to being a top 4 seed than not being a top 8 seed. 2 more wins and we are a top 8 seed. 4 ,more and we are top 5.

Brando
05-14-2016, 01:32 PM
and word is that we dont. We are closer to being a top 4 seed than not being a top 8 seed. 2 more wins and we are a top 8 seed. 4 ,more and we are top 5.

4 more wins and tourney chanpionship, I think we are prolly looking at a Top 2 seed. You never know. All we have to do is get hot in that tourney.

State82
05-14-2016, 01:41 PM
We are up 1-0 on Auburn. It would be impossible to win 2 more games and lose both series

Don't ask me where I came up with that. Ha! Must have been that dream I described in another thread that I had last night about losing after being up 4-0!

AlmostPositive
05-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Florida State is down 3-1 to Duke in the 8th.. apparently they have no interest in being a national seed. Just makes it a little easier for us.

Brando
05-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Don't ask me where I came up with that. Ha! Must have been that dream I described in another thread that I had last night about losing after being up 4-0!

Damn, that was some good Rum... haha

State82
05-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Damn, that was some good Rum... haha

No doubt, must try again.

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Even if we sweep out and UM sweeps out or takes 2/3 from Texas A&M which I doubt, how would we jump Florida? They would have to lose atleast 1 or not 2 from Vandy at home and I don't see that happening.

They do have to end the year AT LSU... let vandy get one and lsu get one. We win out.

Brando
05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
No doubt, must try again.

Just remember to save the score of the game somewhere so if you wake up, you wont be pissed off... haha

blacklistedbully
05-14-2016, 03:22 PM
FSU has now lost 4-in-a-row, and have lost the series at Duke. They end the reg season vs Miami. Put a fork in them...they are done.

Sadly, that makes UNM a prime candidate for a NS if they can finish off UK, and take at least 1 from aTm.

AlmostPositive
05-14-2016, 03:26 PM
You might be right but the selection committee would rather gnaw their arms off at the elbow than give the SEC five National Seeds. In the scenario we can get a national seed and bump OM out of getting one.. That is my idea of a twofer.

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
You might be right but the selection committee would rather gnaw their arms off at the elbow than give the SEC five National Seeds. In the scenario we can get a national seed and bump OM out of getting one.. That is my idea of a twofer.

There won't be 5 I don't think. If it will either be UM or USC.
D1baseball still thinks ACC will get 3 National seeds.
NC State was the other on the out. But they are playing Louisville this weekend and already lost the series. Don't know who would be up next.

State82
05-14-2016, 03:33 PM
FSU has now lost 4-in-a-row, and have lost the series at Duke. They end the reg season vs Miami. Put a fork in them...they are done.

Sadly, that makes UNM a prime candidate for a NS if they can finish off UK, and take at least 1 from aTm.

FSU has dropped 9 spots in RPI since Sunday. Brutal.

blacklistedbully
05-14-2016, 03:46 PM
UC Santa Barbara was in line, but they have lost 3 of last 4, I believe. It's getting to the point that the selection committee would have to go so far down the list to avoid a 5th SEC NS that it will look ridiculous. Seems to me, the 3 or 4 that could have been in contention with UNM have had crappy weeks, while UNM has continued to win.

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2016, 03:56 PM
UC Santa Barbara was in line, but they have lost 3 of last 4, I believe. It's getting to the point that the selection committee would have to go so far down the list to avoid a 5th SEC NS that it will look ridiculous. Seems to me, the 3 or 4 that could have been in contention with UNM have had crappy weeks, while UNM has continued to win.

UCSB hasn't been close to being a National Seed. they were in the talks for being a host for a week or so but they are back on the outside looking in for that.
If they have to have 3 ACC teams, it will be between FSU, NC State, and Virginia.

BulldogBear
05-14-2016, 04:12 PM
They just put a few scores up at the softball championship game. Saw UGA won first game of DH. Do we want them or Mizzou to win 2nd one?

State82
05-14-2016, 04:32 PM
They just put a few scores up at the softball championship game. Saw UGA won first game of DH. Do we want them or Mizzou to win 2nd one?

Not that it makes much difference but I would say Mizzou. They are just outside top 100 and UGA is firmly entrenched in top 50 so might as well pull for the Tigers.