PDA

View Full Version : Excel boats

State82
05-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm still floundering around boatless after several years now but I just can't take it much longer. I had pretty much decided to go with the Xpress H20 Bay with a 115 Yammy but I have also been a little intrigued by the Excel line when I first saw them in a Louisiana Sportsman magazine a few years ago. Finally saw one on the lot yesterday at RJ's in Rankin County. They just picked up the Excel line and had a 22' with 150 on the lot. It's aluminum and very close to the Xpress but I'm not familiar with their hull design and wonder how it compares to the Xpress Hyperlift hull. I'm needing a "dual purpose" rig for the marsh and Ross Barnett but it will be used on Barnett and possibly some Mississippi Delta lakes more than south Louisiana. But my main emphasis for deciding on the exact setup will be the marsh where I'm in a camp. You guys know anything about the Excel line? They do kinda catch your eye for sure, but I don't know if I can talk myself out of the Xpress.

SpeckleDawg
05-14-2016, 09:12 AM
I don't have any input on the Excels as I don't know anyone with one, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Xpress Bays. That is exactly what I plan to purchase when in the somewhat near future. They are awesome boats for exactly what you mentioned. Don't think you could go wrong with the Xpress.

State82
05-14-2016, 10:28 AM
That's what I keep going back to SpeckleDawg. Hate to not get what I really had my mind set on and regret it later. Now, keep in mind this came from a salesman for the Excel, but he did say Xpress has had some problems with the console bolts loosening over time and Excel builds a stringer/support below the console to bolt it through. Not that it's a major deal and not something that would hinder me from buying one.

BeastMan
05-14-2016, 04:32 PM
I know one thing about Xpress bay boats, they are absolutely everywhere in south LA. I don't think that's by accident. The only consistent gripe I've seen is the storage not being dry. I haven't heard of the console issues.

ETA- I see Excel's bay boats have a Maroon and White color scheme. I'm sold**

State82
05-14-2016, 09:30 PM
I see Excel's bay boats have a Maroon and White color scheme. I'm sold**

Yep. That was the color of the one at RJ's in Rankin County. Sweet looking ship for sure.

Duckdawg
05-16-2016, 12:38 PM
I just bought a War Eagle 2170 Blackhawk CC from RJ's. When War Eagle was slow getting my boat in I almost bought that Excel they have there, if it hadn't been red I would have (my wife hates red). Glad I didn't after running that Blackhawk this weekend, thing is a tank. All the aluminum hull boats are comparable after doing looooots of research, it just depends the layout you want. I went with war eagle because I liked the openness of it, and I already have a 1648 that I absolutely love.

State82
05-16-2016, 09:49 PM
I just bought a War Eagle 2170 Blackhawk CC from RJ's. When War Eagle was slow getting my boat in I almost bought that Excel they have there, if it hadn't been red I would have (my wife hates red). Glad I didn't after running that Blackhawk this weekend, thing is a tank. All the aluminum hull boats are comparable after doing looooots of research, it just depends the layout you want. I went with war eagle because I liked the openness of it, and I already have a 1648 that I absolutely love.

Yeah that 2170 War Eagle is a sweet rig too. I looked at them pretty hard and have heard nothing but good things about the brand. Gets confusing after a while trying to make a decision.

Duckdawg
05-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Yeah that 2170 War Eagle is a sweet rig too. I looked at them pretty hard and have heard nothing but good things about the brand. Gets confusing after a while trying to make a decision.

I love it so far, taking it to Louisiana this weekend for its first run in the marsh. The only thing about war eagle, unless you want a camo boat it will take 8-10 weeks to get one. I ordered mine in white with tan interior on feb 29, I picked it up from RJ's last Thursday. Great boat though, and worth the wait.

State82
05-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I love it so far, taking it to Louisiana this weekend for its first run in the marsh. The only thing about war eagle, unless you want a camo boat it will take 8-10 weeks to get one. I ordered mine in white with tan interior on feb 29, I picked it up from RJ's last Thursday. Great boat though, and worth the wait.

They were cleaning it up when I went by there that day. Sweet ride! I looked at with Roff while I was there. I'm jealous! Have a safe trip to the marsh and good luck. Would like to be there myself but I can't miss DNF this weekend!

Duckdawg
05-19-2016, 08:56 AM
They were cleaning it up when I went by there that day. Sweet ride! I looked at with Roff while I was there. I'm jealous! Have a safe trip to the marsh and good luck. Would like to be there myself but I can't miss DNF this weekend!

Thanks, it turned out exactly like I had it envisioned, which is odd. And I'll say this, the guys at RJ's were great to deal with.

Duckdawg
05-26-2016, 01:52 PM
RJ's just got a brand new shipment of Excels in on Tuesday Speck. They were unloading em when I went by there that afternoon. Most were duck boats with mud motors on em, but did see one new CC.

State82
05-27-2016, 08:26 AM
RJ's just got a brand new shipment of Excels in on Tuesday Speck. They were unloading em when I went by there that afternoon. Most were duck boats with mud motors on em, but did see one new CC.

I'm pretty sure the CC is the 20' I wanted to see. They told they had one on the way. I'll have to go inspect.