PDA

View Full Version : You can't make this stuff up..

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 11:16 AM
An Ole Misser just told me from his own mouth these words. "Yes we cheated and yes it was freeze but no matter what the punishment is as long as it's not a post season ban then it was worth it". That's gonna be the new OM stance when they have to admit it's bad. Too bad for him that a post season ban is likely.

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Kind of an odd stance. A steep reduction of scholarships is in essence a delayed postseason ban and far more damaging than just a one year bowl ban.

starkvegasdawg
05-13-2016, 11:21 AM
An Ole Misser just told me from his own mouth these words. "Yes we cheated and yes it was freeze but no matter what the punishment is as long as it's not a post season ban then it was worth it". That's gonna be the new OM stance when they have to admit it's bad. Too bad for him that a post season ban is likely.

At least he's honest. All they care about is how they are perceived. Nothing else matters. So as long as they can flaunt around the Sugar Bowl trophy and know they can go to other bowl games then they will always think it is worth it. Hell, how many on this board would take a slap on the wrist for a NY6 bowl victory and heartbeat from missing the SECCG? Show of hands.

msstate7
05-13-2016, 11:26 AM
I can kinda see where he's coming from. Before freeze, they stunk... Real bad. After that terrible stretch, a few really strong years would be worth it if you can't get there playing fair. If they would've beat Arkansas last year, they'd most likely have been sec champs and it would've been worth it for sure imo

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Even if the wins are vacated? I don't agree. Big Reduction of scholarships is detrimental.

Brando
05-13-2016, 11:33 AM
9 over 3. We didnt cheat. All in WBB and track.****

TrapGame
05-13-2016, 11:34 AM
The post season ban may be the least of their concerns when it all comes out.

SailingDawg
05-13-2016, 11:35 AM
I can kinda see where he's coming from. Before freeze, they stunk... Real bad. After that terrible stretch, a few really strong years would be worth it if you can't get there playing fair. If they would've beat Arkansas last year, they'd most likely have been sec champs and it would've been worth it for sure imo

But they didn't win the West, or the SEC, and should have with all that talent. In the end the five star egos get in the way of working towards a goal as a team.

As a State fan for many years I've been happy with our successes of late. I'd rather have players who are coach-able and are proud of their relationship with the university than some elite whose family sells their soul(s) to a false prophet.

Hunkaburningdawg
05-13-2016, 01:36 PM
If they don't cheat, we kick their ass annually.

maroonmania
05-13-2016, 01:40 PM
I can kinda see where he's coming from. Before freeze, they stunk... Real bad.

But, but, but, 3 Cotton Bowls.

Mjoelner34
05-13-2016, 01:49 PM
He's pretty much right. The minimum realistic goal of every team is to go to a bowl every year. Unless you take that prize away, they can still claim it and flaunt it to recruits. Scholly limits will hurt and make it harder to get to a bowl but imagine how hard it will be to sell the program when you have to tell a recruit that there is zero chance he'll ever play in a bowl game or championship game if he signs with you.

They can vacate wins all damn day and it won't matter one bit. I don't care if they have to give back the Sugar Bowl trophy from last year. I saw them beat the ever living shit out of Okie State on the field and that's what recruits will remember too.

AlmostPositive
05-13-2016, 02:12 PM
I believe the NCAA will change their minds about whether it was worth it or not.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I believe the NCAA will change their minds about whether it was worth it or not.

This is actually the biggest thing at stake in this case. The NCAA must make it known that cheating isn't worth it.

1. The Miami case was about an agent and benefits, not about systematic cheating by Miami to gain an edge.

2. The USC case was about Reggie Bush living in a house he wasn't paying for and, again, somewhat inadvertent. I'm not sure USC purposefully organized this.

IMO, letting it be known that cheating isn't worth it has to be the NCAA's number one goal in this investigation. This is potentially the most organized, systematic cheating that has ever happened. OM won't get the death penalty but think you could argue that they've cheated on a broader scale than SMU

MaroonFlounder
05-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Who needs scholarships when there is so much money under the table and thru underground "resources "?

BossDawg
05-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Even if the wins are vacated? I don't agree. Big Reduction of scholarships is detrimental.

This is what I don't understand. How are they gonna get away from this? Aren't they supposed to vacate wins if they played an ineligible player? I think it goes without saying that, at the very least, Tunsil was ineligible.

Either way, as far as what preachermatt's UM friend told him, he's just spitting out anything to try and make you think this isn't bothering him. It's eating him up inside, he just doesn't want anyone to know that.

TrapGame
05-13-2016, 02:47 PM
This is actually the biggest thing at stake in this case. The NCAA must make it known that cheating isn't worth it.

1. The Miami case was about an agent and benefits, not about systematic cheating by Miami to gain an edge.

2. The USC case was about Reggie Bush living in a house he wasn't paying for and, again, somewhat inadvertent. I'm not sure USC purposefully organized this.

IMO, letting it be known that cheating isn't worth it has to be the NCAA's number one goal in this investigation. This is potentially the most organized, systematic cheating that has ever happened. OM won't get the death penalty but think you could argue that they've cheated on a broader scale than SMU

Yeah, this isn't Redmond level stuff here. It's twenty times worse. The NCAA has to make an example out of om or the entire college football world is gonna turn into a Mad Max movie.

ScreenCaptureThis
05-13-2016, 02:52 PM
This is what I don't understand. How are they gonna get away from this? Aren't they supposed to vacate wins if they played an ineligible player? I think it goes without saying that, at the very least, Tunsil was ineligible.

Either way, as far as what preachermatt's UM friend told him, he's just spitting out anything to try and make you think this isn't bothering him. It's eating him up inside, he just doesn't want anyone to know that.

Absolutely!

And I'm just not sold on the Sugar Bowl being this great big WOW factor. It's great to mention it, but I can't see a recruit saying "WOW, you won the Sugar Bowl? I'm in!!!" When they're heading to Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, etc and looking at National Championship trophies combine with SEC trophies.

They're out-recruiting the big boys based on $$$ and $$$ alone. Once the magnifying glass was placed on them, I think you'll see that the best recruits they pull will be those that they were pulling before this push. Same reason they're currently sitting around the 45th spot right now.

War Machine Dawg
05-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, this isn't Redmond level stuff here. It's twenty times worse. The NCAA has to make an example out of om or the entire college football world is gonna turn into a Mad Max movie.

This is really the crux of the issue. If the NCAA doesn't absolutely drop the hammer on Northern Miss, it is literally anything goes in college football. If you think it's bad now, you won't even be able to imagine what will go on if the NCAA doesn't take a stand. We're about to find out if the NCAA still believes itself to be relevant or if it's going to commit suicide.

And the thought just occurred to me as I'm typing: If this level of systemic cheating is allowed to continue, the farce of "amateur athletics" will be forever dead. Just declare these guys semi-pro after HS, do away with college affiliation, and pay them. Because that's what it'll be, except with the headache of taxpayer funding propping up semi-pro sports. And that's an absolute scam to use tax payer dollars for that purpose.

TrapGame
05-13-2016, 03:18 PM
This is really the crux of the issue. If the NCAA doesn't absolutely drop the hammer on Northern Miss, it is literally anything goes in college football. If you think it's bad now, you won't even be able to imagine what will go on if the NCAA doesn't take a stand. We're about to find out if the NCAA still believes itself to be relevant or if it's going to commit suicide.

And the thought just occurred to me as I'm typing: If this level of systemic cheating is allowed to continue, the farce of "amateur athletics" will be forever dead. Just declare these guys semi-pro after HS, do away with college affiliation, and pay them. Because that's what it'll be, except with the headache of taxpayer funding propping up semi-pro sports. And that's an absolute scam to use tax payer dollars for that purpose.

Pay them and have a college draft.

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Pay them and have a college draft.

No!!!

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 03:24 PM

Great post.

TrapGame
05-13-2016, 03:49 PM
No!!!

Why not?

msstate7
05-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Why not?

I think a kid should have a say so if where they go to college. Let's say Jim bob is an UA all American with a 4.0 gpa and 1600 sat. Jim Bob wants to play football at Stanford and get a world class degree in the process, but he gets drafted by a school (won't name one) with terrible academics. I don't think this is fair to jim bob

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 04:05 PM
I think a kid should have a say so if where they go to college. Let's say Jim bob is an UA all American with a 4.0 gpa and 1600 sat. Jim Bob wants to play football at Stanford and get a world class degree in the process, but he gets drafted by a school (won't name one) with terrible academics. I don't think this is fair to jim bob

Yup

maroonmania
05-13-2016, 04:08 PM

If there is not going to be any rule enforcement then it SHOULD be anything goes. That would be the most fair way. Then, everyone might not have equal resources but everyone would have equal opportunity. Right now you apparently have some schools attempting to play by the rules and then you have some schools intentionally skirting every rule out there to get players. Nothing fair about that.

TrapGame
05-13-2016, 05:22 PM

Oh yeah, I agree completely. I was just being contrary to mess with preacher.

AlmostPositive
05-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Best case scenario: Ole Miss gets the Walking Death penalty so we can watch them writhe for 12 months. Then the second NOA comes and there's nothing left to do but plow the Grove under for half a decade.