PDA

View Full Version : Got to thinking about this OM mess

tireddawg
05-12-2016, 08:44 PM
If the OM staff are telling recruits/parents don't worry about the NCAA nothing's going to come of it, & are still offering recruits money, wouldn't the recruits/parents put 2 & 2 together & think, we'll they're offering us money so there must be something to it?

maroonmania
05-12-2016, 09:18 PM
The flaw in your logic is thinking that certain recruits and their families are worried about the NCAA situation. There are a significant number of recruits and parents who would tell you the NCAA is the problem, not schools that break rules like UNM. In fact, one of those types was a certain recruit and his family last year out of Starkville.

Liverpooldawg
05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
The flaw in your logic is thinking that certain recruits and their families are worried about the NCAA situation. There are a significant number of recruits and parents who would tell you the NCAA is the problem, not schools that break rules like UNM. In fact, one of those types was a certain recruit and his family last year out of Starkville.

If they have their hand out they don't care about the NCAA.

Bullsy
05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
There are kids that are looking to get paid. Those kids are OM's target.

State82
05-12-2016, 09:26 PM
The above responses to the OP are all spot on. Bingo.

Corn Bread
05-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Responded on the Bammer Buddy thread. TSUN recruitment has been brilliant. Think about it, Tunsils, Treadwell, and yes NKardasian. UM was a three year well paid work out for the NFL. There are 100 more behind them that will do the same thing for the money. Trophies, rings don't mean crap. Payola.

tireddawg
05-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Even if they eventually get caught & are deemed ineligible? Yeah I guess, cash is king. My mind just can't wrap around that.

Corn Bread
05-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Think about it. Specific elite recruits are targeted through out the nation. The social economic situation is known for each recruit they really want. Let the games begin.

Reason2succeed
05-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Even if they eventually get caught & are deemed ineligible? Yeah I guess, cash is king. My mind just can't wrap around that.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

The NFL is extremely hard to get to. Injuries and other extenuating circumstances can derail your career no matter how talented a player is. So, get while the getting is good.

Plus, some of these families come from economic situations where they have been waiting on another bread winner in the household for years. Along comes their son who is being courted by every college in the nation. In these families this son will most likely be the first person in that family to EVER attend college so they have absolutely no loyalty to any university even the in-state school.

A school like OM comes along offering far and above what anyone else is talking about and they backed it up with a backpack full of cash just for visiting. Yes, OM with their racist past, their lack of real football legacy, and unproven coaches become a major consideration in the minds of recruits across the nation.

BB30
05-13-2016, 08:31 AM
And looking at it they were very close to winning the west and had they got to Atlanta I think they would have beat Florida the second time around. If they get off with a wrist slap there is a fairly good chance that in the near future they win the west. I hate to admit it but the guys the get, while most were divas they were also dang good football players. IF they don't get hammered pretty good this is going to become a free for all in recruiting.

starkvegasdawg
05-13-2016, 08:50 AM
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

The NFL is extremely hard to get to. Injuries and other extenuating circumstances can derail your career no matter how talented a player is. So, get while the getting is good.

Plus, some of these families come from economic situations where they have been waiting on another bread winner in the household for years. Along comes their son who is being courted by every college in the nation. In these families this son will most likely be the first person in that family to EVER attend college so they have absolutely no loyalty to any university even the in-state school.

A school like OM comes along offering far and above what anyone else is talking about and they backed it up with a backpack full of cash just for visiting. Yes, OM with their racist past, their lack of real football legacy, and unproven coaches become a major consideration in the minds of recruits across the nation.

Then add in the endless girls on their knees on the recruiting visits and that just helps seal the deal They leave Sunday afternoon with one bag full of cash, another bag completely drained dry, and smile on their face you could see from space.

Reason2succeed
05-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Then add in the endless girls on their knees on the recruiting visits and that just helps seal the deal They leave Sunday afternoon with one bag full of cash, another bag completely drained dry, and smile on their face you could see from space.

Yeah we all know about that stuff but I was focusing on why for instance a single mom with other mouths to feed back at home would be eager to send their son to OM.

Also, I have to often even remind myself that the NCAA has "rules" not "laws". These players are not criminals for taking money. They are just breaking rules. Before we get upset about teenagers breaking rules for money go lecture Wall Street first.

Mjoelner34
05-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Also, I have to often even remind myself that the NCAA has "rules" not "laws". These players are not criminals for taking money. They are just breaking rules. Before we get upset about teenagers breaking rules for money go lecture Wall Street first.

While they are only breaking NCAA "rules", they are in fact, also breaking the law. What portion of the extra benefit$ have ever been put down on a tax form on April 15th? The answer, zero. If the NCAA really wanted to stop this crap, they could bring in the IRS with them. The NCAA could hammer the schools for breaking their "rules" and the IRS could fine the shit out of families who had their hand out and got cash or other material benefits and didn't report it.

Martianlander
05-13-2016, 09:36 AM
The line going around this morning from the unm people at work is "everybody cheats".

MadDawg
05-13-2016, 09:42 AM
The line going around this morning from the unm people at work is "everybody cheats".

When this becomes the party line, the end is near. It's the last ditch defense.

Jack Lambert
05-13-2016, 09:46 AM
While they are only breaking NCAA "rules", they are in fact, also breaking the law. What portion of the extra benefit$ have ever been put down on a tax form on April 15th? The answer, zero. If the NCAA really wanted to stop this crap, they could bring in the IRS with them. The NCAA could hammer the schools for breaking their "rules" and the IRS could fine the shit out of families who had their hand out and got cash or other material benefits and didn't report it.

The question that should be asked, "is the gift tax being paid?"

32 Dive
05-13-2016, 09:56 AM

"Laid, Paid, and Prayed"

I heard this by a Finebaum caller, in reference to Auburn some years ago. But it also applies in this context...

Political Hack
05-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Nm. Wrong thread.

Political Hack
05-13-2016, 10:05 AM
It worked for them last year ok.