PDA

View Full Version : Fitz

BB30
05-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Don't know if it has been posted or not but Athlon ranked Fitz the 10th best QB in the SEC. Had Kelly 1st and Brandon Harris 3rd. Harris being ranked that high solely based on tenure as the starting QB is a little crazy in my opinion. He has been downright terrible. Kelly is solid but it will be interesting to see how he handles all the changes along the line and losing Treadwell. I think the scheme they run will benefit him. As for Fitz I think he will wind up better than 10th by the seasons end. Not sure where I would have him at the start of the season though. Thoughts?

JDog13
05-12-2016, 05:09 PM
/fart

QuadrupleOption
05-12-2016, 05:33 PM
I can't argue with Kelly being first. He was the 2nd best QB in the conference last year and #1 has graduated and plays for the Cowboys now. I'm not sure if he will be as productive this year as he was last year but they have talent.

Harris I think at best is one of those guys that you ask to be a game manager - he's not going to win games for you all by himself.

Reason2succeed
05-12-2016, 05:56 PM
I think Athlon is just selling magazines by "literally" throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

IMissJack
05-12-2016, 07:16 PM
I doubt Dak was ranked much higher than that prior to his first year of starting.

RealHastings
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
What a joke. I'm a better QB than Brandon Harris (and I'm not very good). Even though we've yet to see Fitz as a starter, I'd take him any day of the week over Harris. I really wonder sometimes how they come up with this stuff.

basedog
05-12-2016, 10:20 PM
I have a friend who lives out of state, he says he heard from a parent who's son is on scholarship, players don't like Fitz. Said he was cocky, a loner and not liked. I have heard just the opposite. Has anyone heard Fitz isn't a leader, not liked, cocky and a loner?

Political Hack
05-12-2016, 11:25 PM
I have a friend who lives out of state, he says he heard from a parent who's son is on scholarship, players don't like Fitz. Said he was cocky, a loner and not liked. I have heard just the opposite. Has anyone heard Fitz isn't a leader, not liked, cocky and a loner?

He's not a rah rah guy.

preachermatt83
05-12-2016, 11:57 PM

The few players that I know like him.

sandwolf
05-13-2016, 01:36 AM

David Murray posted something similar to this on Genes Page within the last few months. I don't remember exactly what he posted, but what I took from it was that Fitz is cocky enough for it to be off-putting to other players at times and that it is something that he needs to work on.

Harrydawg
05-13-2016, 02:49 AM
Fitz is enjoying college life, maybe too much at times. Yes, he is extremely cocky - some people will be rubbed the wrong way by his brand of confidence. I heard a story about Mullen getting in his face during a spring practice and telling him that he was nearly as good as he thinks he is........

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2016, 06:06 AM
Fitz is enjoying college life, maybe too much at times. Yes, he is extremely cocky - some people will be rubbed the wrong way by his brand of confidence. I heard a story about Mullen getting in his face during a spring practice and telling him that he was nearly as good as he thinks he is........

So you mean he is a typical QB? I am sure guys are having to adjust from our atypical once in a generation QB to a different guy. A lot of that will go away once the position is settled. If he wins, the players will love the cockiness. If he loses, it will be another story.

mic
05-13-2016, 06:09 AM
[QUOTE=basedog;552686]I have a friend who lives out of state, he says he heard from a parent who's son is on scholarship, players don't like Fitz. Said he was cocky, a loner and not liked. I have heard just the opposite. Has anyone heard Fitz isn't a leader, not liked, cocky and a loner?[/QUOTE

Fitz and Gabe Myles live together..
I hope he is cocky.. He better be..

bulldawg28
05-13-2016, 07:00 AM
So you mean he is a typical QB? I am sure guys are having to adjust from our atypical once in a generation QB to a different guy. A lot of that will go away once the position is settled. If he wins, the players will love the cockiness. If he loses, it will be another story.

BS...That's old school. If he's cocky he won't win the team over nor the spot for that matter. Confident you need cocky ....NO.

Schultzy
05-13-2016, 07:06 AM
We're worried about our QB being cocky? No wonder we fold like a cheap suit in the big games.

DownwardDawg
05-13-2016, 07:09 AM
BS...That's old school. If he's cocky he won't win the team over nor the spot for that matter. Confident you need cocky ....NO.

You complimented him when u said its old school. Old school is great. Generation snowflake may have trouble understanding this. Maybe they will organize a protest.

bulldawg28
05-13-2016, 07:11 AM
We're worried about our QB being cocky? No wonder we fold like a cheap suit in the big games.

It's more team chemistry the concern. I've never played with a cocky Qb that won a lot of games besides highschool and the team still hated him.

Reason2succeed
05-13-2016, 07:30 AM
When the badly needed development of the offense depends upon players' voluntary willingly getting together over the summer to practice together, how players view the QB personally is important.

It's a fine line between confidence and cockiness. It usually is a matter of being grateful and polite to others while maintaining that there is nothing that you cannot do. My suggestion would be for him to find ways to show his appreciation to other people from the lunch ladies, his OL (who likely get him sacked to much), his WRs and RBs, to his coaches.

Spiderman
05-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Don't know if it has been posted or not but Athlon ranked Fitz the 10th best QB in the SEC. Had Kelly 1st and Brandon Harris 3rd. Harris being ranked that high solely based on tenure as the starting QB is a little crazy in my opinion. He has been downright terrible. Kelly is solid but it will be interesting to see how he handles all the changes along the line and losing Treadwell. I think the scheme they run will benefit him. As for Fitz I think he will wind up better than 10th by the seasons end. Not sure where I would have him at the start of the season though. Thoughts?

Where would Williams rank? Because I'm betting he starts the 1st game if all stays the same as of right now

RiverCityDawg
05-13-2016, 07:53 AM
David Murray posted something similar to this on Genes Page within the last few months. I don't remember exactly what he posted, but what I took from it was that Fitz is cocky enough for it to be off-putting to other players at times and that it is something that he needs to work on.

I believe it was the spring game last year or maybe even the year before that he took it in the endzone from about 3 out on a QB keeper and lowered his shoulder on Chris Jones on the way in. He was wearing a green jersey so Chris just met him with a thud instead of crushing him. They exchanged some good natured words over it, but they were both all smiles. I remember thinking then that this Fitzgereld guy had some moxy. Whether that is something that the players like or something that turns people off as cockiness, we'll see. If he gets in there and leads us to TDs and W's, I suspect everyone will think it's great. If he is the starter and we lose to USCe I'm sure we'll hear about how much of a jerk he is.

I've been thinking Fitz will be the guy, but I'm starting to have this odd feeling that Tiano is going to win the job at some point in the year.

BB30
05-13-2016, 07:55 AM
Getting knocked around a little bit will fix some of that. I would assume most kids that sign an SEC scholarship to play QB probably come in pretty cocky.

Dawgfan77
05-13-2016, 08:03 AM

I started a thread earlier and this is kinda what I was referring to. I have been told the same. Also heard ES is who coaches wabtcto win the job but needs to grow up and mature. The players love tiano

Bubb Rubb
05-13-2016, 08:13 AM
I believe it was the spring game last year or maybe even the year before that he took it in the endzone from about 3 out on a QB keeper and lowered his shoulder on Chris Jones on the way in. He was wearing a green jersey so Chris just met him with a thud instead of crushing him. They exchanged some good natured words over it, but they were both all smiles. I remember thinking then that this Fitzgereld guy had some moxy. Whether that is something that the players like or something that turns people off as cockiness, we'll see. If he gets in there and leads us to TDs and W's, I suspect everyone will think it's great. If he is the starter and we lose to USCe I'm sure we'll hear about how much of a jerk he is.

I've been thinking Fitz will be the guy, but I'm starting to have this odd feeling that Tiano is going to win the job at some point in the year.

I think we will see Tiano running a bunch of the goal line and short yardage sets.

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2016, 09:01 AM

That's not BS. People say the same about Staley. Look at a lot of great QBs out there and I am sure you would hear the same thing. Cam, Brady, Manning, etc.And if you had seen them as RSF or true F - I am sure you would have hear the same. In my experience, that cockiness is what makes them a QB - they want the ball, they want the limelight, they have the confidence to tell you. From a team perspective - that is and can be off putting - until you back that up in real games. Once he, or Staley, do it live, then they earn the respect of the team and cocky becomes confidence. They may not be best friends, but they will play for them.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-13-2016, 09:10 AM

A guy who I trust told me that he is not well liked by his teammates. I really hope this is untrue, but coming from who told me, I suspect it is.

Our O line isn't going to be great, and it wont help if they are just matador-ing D lineman to hit Fitz.

Buddy
05-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Talked to a current player yesterday. I asked him who was going to win the QB job and he said Fitz. He said that he thought all 4 would play in the opening game but that by midseason it would be all Fitz. He said Fitz was more talented than Dak.... stronger arm and faster. He didn't mention any attitude issues with Fitz but I didn't specifically ask him that. I asked him how good the team would be and he said, "it all depends on the offensive line". Even the players have figured that out!

Bdawg
05-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Talked to a current player yesterday. I asked him who was going to win the QB job and he said Fitz. He said that he thought all 4 would play in the opening game but that by midseason it would be all Fitz. He said Fitz was more talented than Dak.... stronger arm and faster. He didn't mention any attitude issues with Fitz but I didn't specifically ask him that. I asked him how good the team would be and he said, "it all depends on the offensive line". Even the players have figured that out!

Really like what your saying in Bold#1.
Bold #2 really has me worried also.

tcdog70
05-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Ha, never fails, message board trying to find negatives before we play a down. Shit, I watched Him last year and the Spring Game, He looks better than Dak did at this stage. Who gives a shit if he isn't Mr Congeniality? I just want the players to respect Him. I'm not judging off of what some Dude on a message Board said. Let's play a few and then we can Eat our own.

basedog
05-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Ha, never fails, message board trying to find negatives before we play a down. Shit, I watched Him last year and the Spring Game, He looks better than Dak did at this stage. Who gives a shit if he isn't Mr Congeniality? I just want the players to respect Him. I'm not judging off of what some Dude on a message Board said. Let's play a few and then we can Eat our own.

I have the same feelings as you. When my buddy told me this I was like whoa, I have read nothing but good things about Fitz. I was just asking, also I don't think anyone has said anything negative about Fitz, like you who cares as long as we are winning?

preachermatt83
05-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Truth!! Watch the guy o. The sidelines. Players are always around him.

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Anyone who has spent any time playing knows you don't always like your teammates. I played baseball with guys I wouldn't have poured water on if they were on fire away from the team. I respected the hell out of their ability if they were good and respected the team though. I can't imagine throwing 100 football players together and expect them to all sing kumbaya together. They are competitive, they have social klicks, and have different personalities. As long as they respect each other, it works.

blacklistedbully
05-13-2016, 11:48 AM
I think our QB is going to be one of the big surprises in the SEC this year, whether it is Fitz, Staley or Tiano. I believe whichever wins is going to be much better than anyone outside of Starkville is thinking.

By mid-season we'll start hearing sports media-types saying, "Who would have guessed State's QB situation would be so good so soon after the departure of Dak Prescott?"

bulldawg28
05-13-2016, 11:50 AM
That's not BS. People say the same about Staley. Look at a lot of great QBs out there and I am sure you would hear the same thing. Cam, Brady, Manning, etc.And if you had seen them as RSF or true F - I am sure you would have hear the same. In my experience, that cockiness is what makes them a QB - they want the ball, they want the limelight, they have the confidence to tell you. From a team perspective - that is and can be off putting - until you back that up in real games. Once he, or Staley, do it live, then they earn the respect of the team and cocky becomes confidence. They may not be best friends, but they will play for them.

The difference in the guys your calling cocky is they are proven vets with an outstanding work ethic. Fitz hasnt proven jack shit to be cocky about. A Qb must have confidence/ borderline cockiness. However, the team has to respect him for it to work. He needs to earn their respect with his behavior and work ethic before he earns it game day. I absolutely love Fitz!

bulldawg28
05-13-2016, 11:51 AM
I think our QB is going to be one of the big surprises in the SEC this year, whether it is Fitz, Staley or Tiano. I believe whichever wins is going to be much better than anyone outside of Starkville is thinking.

By mid-season we'll start hearing sports media-types saying, "Who would have guessed State's QB situation would be so good so soon after the departure of Dak Prescott?"

I agree with this.

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
The difference in the guys your calling cocky is they are proven vets with an outstanding work ethic. Fitz hasnt proven jack shit to be cocky about. A Qb must have confidence/ borderline cockiness. However, the team has to respect him for it to work. He needs to earn their respect with his behavior and work ethic before he earns it game day. I absolutely love Fitz!

Most guys like that never turn off that attitude - doesn't matter if they are the starter or 3rd string, HS, college or pro. It's not like he is out there telling people he should have been starting over Dak. Now, if it got to the point that it did effect team chemistry, that's a problem. But, we don't have evidence of that. "Cocky and aloof", is different from "I hate that arrogant prick." The OP never mentioned - nor has anyone I have seen - said players don't respect him or his work ethic. I am sure it is strong or he wouldn't be the leader for the position right now. With 100 guys on the team (practice squad included), everyone is not going to be buddy buddy, and some guys will rub each other the wrong way. That is just life.

Can you tell we are in dead season? We (me included) are latching on to the smallest thing to have something to talk about.

Bully13
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
If we get big time unexpected qb production this year, the media will be blowing Dan big time. Would be well deserved too.

Pollodawg
05-13-2016, 12:28 PM
If we flop this season, it won't be because of Fitz.

Pollodawg
05-13-2016, 12:29 PM
And by flop, I mean anything less than eight or nine wins.

We have four easily winnable non cons plus, USCe UK, AU, and Arkansas, three/four of those being at home.

maroonmania
05-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Most guys like that never turn off that attitude - doesn't matter if they are the starter or 3rd string, HS, college or pro. It's not like he is out there telling people he should have been starting over Dak. Now, if it got to the point that it did effect team chemistry, that's a problem. But, we don't have evidence of that. "Cocky and aloof", is different from "I hate that arrogant prick." The OP never mentioned - nor has anyone I have seen - said players don't respect him or his work ethic. I am sure it is strong or he wouldn't be the leader for the position right now. With 100 guys on the team (practice squad included), everyone is not going to be buddy buddy, and some guys will rub each other the wrong way. That is just life.

Can you tell we are in dead season? We (me included) are latching on to the smallest thing to have something to talk about.

The biggest issue is can he lead the team and do his teammates play hard for him. If Fitz or whoever at QB has those 2 things going for them then it really doesn't matter how cocky they are or how likeable they are. If he is doing things though that make his teammates not want him succeed then THAT is a problem.

tcdog70
05-13-2016, 03:09 PM

i actually think Dan will play more than one QB all year. Depending on game situation. Sort of like Ok. State did. Game experience is huge and who knows when your Starter might get knocked out.

bulldawg28
05-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Lol...football can't get here fast enough!

djaymsu5
05-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Tiano is our future I'm telling you

Bully13
05-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Tiano is our future I'm telling you

I saw his only other offer was from Miami. ..camped at lot big time programs but didn't see any offers outside us and the hurricanes. ..wonder why. ..

Coach34
05-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Our QB is going to get knocked around a good bit. He better be cocky cause he is gonna take some shots.

I predict we we have a QB hurt this year and misses multiple games

Coach34
05-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I saw his only other offer was from Miami. ..camped at lot big time programs but didn't see any offers outside us and the hurricanes. ..wonder why. ..

Fitz didn't play QB until his Sr year of HS

Bully13
05-13-2016, 05:40 PM

Holy shit I didn't know that. Looks like we have another bear maybe. This time at qb. Very impressive to be challenging at this stage all things considered.

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2016, 06:01 PM
He was the leading receiver in our region his JR year. He is a damn good athlete.

Pollodawg
05-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Dude's basically a Ryan Tannehill clone.