PDA

View Full Version : Malik about to play ESPN2 - Blue team 4:15

YoungB
05-12-2016, 04:15 PM
nm

YoungB
05-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Assist, Turnover, scored on, poor d, then hits back to back 3s.

msstate7
05-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Assist, Turnover, scored on, poor d, then hits back to back 3s.

6 pts, assist, TO still?

YoungB
05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
6 pts, assist, TO still?

Only saw his first run.

YoungB
05-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Boxscore

http://stats.nba.com/draftcombine/#!/scrimmages/thursday/?game=2

He was just another guy. Did not standout.

MafiaDawg
05-12-2016, 07:10 PM
He was last on his team in scoring. 9 players all played even minutes. He had 6 of 109. I have no doubts he could probably beat most of them in HORSE but he needs another year to work on creating his own shot.

maroonmania
05-12-2016, 09:50 PM
He was last on his team in scoring. 9 players all played even minutes. He had 6 of 109. I have no doubts he could probably beat most of them in HORSE but he needs another year to work on creating his own shot.

Just being honest, whether he comes back or not, I watched him play in post-season HS all-star games last year (including McD's) and I watched him play for us this past season and I'm looking at that box score from today. Based on what I've seen I would just have to say that while he is a good player for his age, he is nowhere near the overall player he was built up to be during his HS career. Best thing you can say about Malik is he has a nice outside shot.

djaymsu5
05-12-2016, 11:38 PM
Just being honest, whether he comes back or not, I watched him play in post-season HS all-star games last year (including McD's) and I watched him play for us this past season and I'm looking at that box score from today. Based on what I've seen I would just have to say that while he is a good player for his age, he is nowhere near the overall player he was built up to be during his HS career. Best thing you can say about Malik is he has a nice outside shot.

And in my opinion he needs to use that to his advantage and try to be the next Ray Allen. He needs to quit worrying about being a PG and just be a pure shooter. That's where his money is and where his future could be. The quicker he understands that the better

louisvilledawg
05-13-2016, 09:03 AM

Agree. I remember watching the McD AA Game and thinking that he didn't look like a top 5 overall player. I think he's a very talented player yes, but not as dynamic as I had hoped.

HSVDawg
05-13-2016, 10:25 AM

The thing Malik needs to work on most is finishing around the basket. He showed unreal athleticism knifing through the lane at times last year, but then would whiff on the layup. That kind of thing can be worked on, but its also a mentality change that is needed. He was simply too passive last year on both ends of the floor. Settling for 3's early in the shot clock and loafing around on defense were the biggest indicators of that. All that stuff is typical of most freshmen. He really just needs another year in the gym against guys that can challenge him to be more of a finisher and to help him break through and have more confidence and more aggressive attitude on the court. Hopefully he realizes that.

Political Hack
05-13-2016, 10:55 AM
He need to go to the 2 and work on moving without the ball in husbands. He'd drop 30 a game that way. He's a mid-#range guy. He's not a finisher at the rim and he's not a set shooter. He's more dynamic than that. He needs to forget the 3-point line exist and develop his midrange jump shot, which includes knowing how to move without the ball. He's an exceptional talent, but he's not focused on the right developmental areas in my opinion. Everybody wants to dunk it and shoot the 3. He could make a hell of a living by killing it from 10-18 feet out coming off of ball screens and working to get his own shot late in the shot clock.

shannondawg
05-13-2016, 03:03 PM
He's not playing today, only mention of him in sidebar was he needed to do more. he was 2 of 8 from the 3.

lawdawg
05-13-2016, 03:29 PM
He need to go to the 2 and work on moving without the ball in husbands. He'd drop 30 a game that way. He's a mid-#range guy. He's not a finisher at the rim and he's not a set shooter. He's more dynamic than that. He needs to forget the 3-point line exist and develop his midrange jump shot, which includes knowing how to move without the ball. He's an exceptional talent, but he's not focused on the right developmental areas in my opinion. Everybody wants to dunk it and shoot the 3. He could make a hell of a living by killing it from 10-18 feet out coming off of ball screens and working to get his own shot late in the shot clock.

for Team USA in the FIBA 18U world championships. His mid-range game was money. The problem at MSU is that we had no way to combat teams settling into a 2-3 zone, and with that, there were no open mid-range shots and coming off screens didn't do much good. Hopefully, that changes this year.

MarketingBully
05-13-2016, 04:07 PM
for Team USA in the FIBA 18U world championships. His mid-range game was money. The problem at MSU is that we had no way to combat teams settling into a 2-3 zone, and with that, there were no open mid-range shots and coming off screens didn't do much good. Hopefully, that changes this year.

Look who we had to attack it. A bunch of seniors who are now gone. This year if he comes back it will be a great guard combo of him and Q. Our best starting five will include a combination of IJ at the point, Malik at the SG and Q as the starting SF with Kegler and Herard starting in the post. I would like that starting five and we would have many options off the bench. You would have four of the five that can hit threes as opposed to some of them "thinking" they could hit threes.

MarketingBully
05-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Btw, this really sounds like a guy dead set on going to the NBA no matter what. I expect he will be back if he is not a first rounder.

"Why not take advantage of their rule of I can have a chance to see what they're thinking, gather all the information they're giving?" Newman said. "And if I have to go back to school, I'll go back and correct those things so that next year I can be in the NBA."