PDA

View Full Version : Love the full page rebel season ticket ad on the back of the CL HS preview.......

Goat Holder
08-18-2013, 03:06 PM
If any of you still think that the CL is biased in both directions, probably about time to pull the trigger on your MSU fan-dom.

coastdoglover
08-18-2013, 03:49 PM
If any of you still think that the CL is biased in both directions, probably about time to pull the trigger on your MSU fan-dom.

Same thing in Sun Herald on the coast for $325.00 season tickets. Must not be as many drinking the kool aid as folks thought.

engie
08-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Believe the only time they ever sold out season tickets was 2009... Maybe 2003...

They also only sell about half the student tickets compared to us though, so they have an extra 8-10k season tickets available at the present time...

Simple fact is that they've never consistently filled the stadium. Not even on the best year.

Thrill1
08-18-2013, 04:31 PM
You know what an "ad" is right? They paid for that. Big bucks probably. They've been putting them almost daily in the Daily Journal as well. There may be other times when bias comes into play at the CL & other outlets across the state, but ads just aren't it.

And Engie is dead on, just the fact that they're still having to spend $$ on those ads is sad. Ours have been sold out for at least a month. Funny, I thought they had all the "momentum."

Mullen'EmOver
08-18-2013, 04:34 PM

Shit like this is why I dropped my subscription back in 2003. Havent looked back sense. Complete garbage that they spew and dont even try to hide it anymore. Had to stop following Jonah Hill and Talty on twitter although I wanted to keep following just because its comical at this point its so obvious. If the Dispatch keeps it up, I'll call in my cancellation pretty soon and I've been subscribing there sense 95.

bgdog
08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
It's an ad right? ad as in short for advertisement? What's the problem here?

messageboardsuperhero
08-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I have no idea why they are planning on announcing a stadium expansion soon. Maybe to keep up with us? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure the Texas game was their first sell-out since 2009 or something like that, and even then it took about 10k Longhorn fans to do that. They hardly ever fill up their stadium. An expansion just seems totally pointless for them.

Miles4MSU75
08-19-2013, 02:13 AM

J Talty is in I am Hugo Sleeze money club

Mullen'EmOver
08-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Yeah but it's all so the state newspaper and they should think about what ALL there readers want to see when they open the paper. If it is going to piss off over half the readers plus the 7 southern miss fans that are left than they shouldn't allow the ad in my opinion. Just poor business taste.

maroonmania
08-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Seriously, does anyone under 50 actually read a physical newspaper anymore?

Jack Lambert
08-19-2013, 08:56 AM

I can see the disappointment in the eyes of the paper guy every time he knocks on my door trying to sell a subscription to me. He asks me "how am I getting my news" and "I say on line at the CL". He then says that "I have to pay for that" and I tell him "no I don't". It's free all the time. He says "no you have to pay to go to the CL" and "I say no you don't". The he ask me "how? and I say" figure it out yourself".

The secret is delete you browsing history every time you get locked out and you free trial starts over. Maybe I should not say that.

PassInterference
08-19-2013, 09:18 AM
The paper itself is awful. Just a few local articles stuff with wire stories and ads. And the physical size of the paper continues to shrink. We used to buy the weekend paper for the coupons, but that has dried up too. I get more sales & coupons info as junk mail in my mailbox than you can get in the Sunday CL.

I'd be real interested to know the CL's subscriber and revenue numbers. I'm curious has laying off staff over the years and having the internet set, as well as the pay wall, helped or hurt them.

I can say I look at the CL probably 10x less than I used to since the pay wall went up.

I get most of my local news from the local TV news websites, Jackson Jambalaya and such.

DawgInMemphis
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah but it's all so the state newspaper and they should think about what ALL there readers want to see when they open the paper. If it is going to piss off over half the readers plus the 7 southern miss fans that are left than they shouldn't allow the ad in my opinion. Just poor business taste.

It's an ad, one I'm sure UM paid a good deal for. If a newspaper can sell ad space, it will - they need all the money they can get. This in no way shows bias to UM over State from the CL.

Dawgdom
08-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Not sure if serious...

SignalToNoise
08-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Not sure if serious...

I think MullenEmOver is a plant from another board. Most of his posts have been pretty terrible.

DawgInMemphis
08-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I think MullenEmOver is a plant from another board. Most of his posts have been pretty terrible.

Haha. Perhaps we've been trolled. That's a catchy username though - Mullen'EmOver.

RougeDawg
08-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I have no idea why they are planning on announcing a stadium expansion soon. Maybe to keep up with us? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure the Texas game was their first sell-out since 2009 or something like that, and even then it took about 10k Longhorn fans to do that. They hardly ever fill up their stadium. An expansion just seems totally pointless for them.

I think you're on to something. They only announced stadium expansion after we revealed our new stadium project. They were all in on the new basketball arena, until ole MSU actually put into motion football expansion. Then Knee-jerk U announce their own stadium expansion. Kinda like their Knee-jerk field level boxes this year. They claim to be the leaders, yet react to everything we do.

Marooned
08-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Have you seen their football stadium "proposal"? It's a copy of our "Phase 3 Renderings" of what DWS could be in another 20 years, around 80,000 capacity. They are selling it on the rant like its a done deal but, as the newspaper ad and their "buts in seats" crowds show they can't fill what they have now. But it is all about perception with them so if they expand and have 20,000 empty seats then they will probably Baylor Tarp the sections and advertise for Brooks Brothers or Taco Bell.

PassInterference
08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Their announced stadium expansion is a carrot for basketball.

fishwater99
08-19-2013, 12:16 PM

I do and have since during college... It has gotten worse but I still need reading material in the bathroom...

Thrill1
08-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Thought this also. Especially the very detailed descriptions of last year's Vandy-um game.

ScoobaDawg
08-19-2013, 12:34 PM

and if you look again he is now gone.