PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! Just checked Warren Nolan site

State82
05-11-2016, 09:39 PM
We moved from 13 in RPI this morning to #8. Unbelievable!

Jacksondevildog
05-11-2016, 09:42 PM
That's a massive jump, especially this late in the year.

AlmostPositive
05-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Another indication of how bogus it is.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-11-2016, 09:43 PM
The strength of schedule tonight doesn't hurt so badly if you win. Missouri was bad, but the three wins offset that. The problem is that we can get swept by A&M and not get hurt, but get swept by Auburn or Missouri and we get crushed.

ScoobaDawg
05-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Was just coming to post this. WOW.

Mjoelner34
05-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Shhhhhh! Don't tell boydsworld.

Mississippi State

Remaining: 3 home, 4 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 13
ROWP: 0.460

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

0 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 16:

2 home wins, 3 road wins
3 home wins, 2 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.

smootness
05-11-2016, 09:48 PM
UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Vandy all lost in the last 2 days, and Texas Tech played a team in the 200s. If we just keep winning, we're going to be fine...as has been said a million times.

smootness
05-11-2016, 09:49 PM
The strength of schedule tonight doesn't hurt so badly if you win. Missouri was bad, but the three wins offset that. The problem is that we can get swept by A&M and not get hurt, but get swept by Auburn or Missouri and we get crushed.

Well, obviously. But if we get swept by either one, our RPI wouldn't matter much anyway. We would get knocked out of the conversation.

engie
05-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Road weighting. There's practically no difference between 8 and 13 right now in the actual numbers. Whereas sweeping Auburn wouldn't likely be enough to jump to (the current actual numerical rating) #7.

As someone that has always followed RPI incredibly closely -- our fanbase is suddenly losing their minds about nuances that have always existed and do not amount to anything in the scheme of things. When the night is over and we're #10 again -- everyone needs to relax. We win these next two series, we are a national seed. Not #8 either.

HSVDawg
05-11-2016, 09:50 PM
We moved from 13 in RPI this morning to #8. Unbelievable!

It certainly helps to play on the road. That being said, we are only 0.0002 ahead in the index of #'s 9 and 10 who are both actually tied with one another. Things could easily move around some more before we play again this weekend.

ScoobaDawg
05-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Alright lets sweep this weekend. Let NC State take 2 from Louisville and we will move up from #5 National Seed to #4.

Bully13
05-11-2016, 09:57 PM
We are bad ass mofkers

State82
05-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Road weighting. There's practically no difference between 8 and 13 right now in the actual numbers. Whereas sweeping Auburn wouldn't likely be enough to jump to (the current actual numerical rating) #7.

As someone that has always followed RPI incredibly closely -- our fanbase is suddenly losing their minds about nuances that have always existed and do not amount to anything in the scheme of things. When the night is over and we're #10 again -- everyone needs to relax. We win these next two series, we are a national seed. Not #8 either.

You're right but I didn't expect that kind of change based on what I've been seeing the last week or so. Just moving a spot or two would have been a pleasant surprise.

engie
05-11-2016, 10:09 PM
You're right but I didn't expect that kind of change based on what I've been seeing the last week or so. Just moving a spot or two would have been a pleasant surprise.

The way to really follow rpi is the actual number instead of the ranking. Gives you a much better idea overall.

State82
05-11-2016, 10:21 PM
The way to really follow rpi is the actual number instead of the ranking. Gives you a much better idea overall.

Yes, definitely. I called myself looking at that after the Sunday/Monday games and was thinking we were not in much of a position to make a move. I realize we won't stay where we are at present but no complaints whatsoever.

Todd4State
05-11-2016, 10:55 PM

I don't know about that. It looks like the games are done for today for the most part and we're still 8.

Todd4State
05-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Shhhhhh! Don't tell boydsworld.

Mississippi State

Remaining: 3 home, 4 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 13
ROWP: 0.460

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

0 home wins, 0 road wins

Top 16:

2 home wins, 3 road wins
3 home wins, 2 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.

Like I said the other day- people need to remember those numbers are fluid. That's why you don't see any of the college baseball experts using that particular feature from Boyd's World- at least not publically.

Todd4State
05-11-2016, 11:00 PM

My guess as to what happened was the ACC lost EVERY single game tonight except for one. Two of those were LSU over Notre Dame on the road. Apparently that bumped both MSU and LSU way up- and I guess we caught the wave because we won two at LSU.

That or RPI thinks a whole lot more about Troy than I do. Of course, this also could explain why Ole Miss's RPI is so high. Just schedule one really good team (Louisville) and play one decent mid major one time in a tournament (Coastal Carolina) and then play garbage for the most part and BOOM- RPI #7.

Todd4State
05-11-2016, 11:05 PM

Exactly. That's why I have said we can afford to play SWAC teams but we can't afford to lose to them. Again, see Ole Miss. They played a freaking weekend series against Grambling and then later on played Arkansas Pine Bluff and their RPI is higher than ours. And we only played Alcorn and Valley once apiece. Now if Ole Miss had lost any of those games, they would be toast.

smootness
05-11-2016, 11:07 PM
My guess as to what happened was the ACC lost EVERY single game tonight except for one. Two of those were LSU over Notre Dame on the road. Apparently that bumped both MSU and LSU way up- and I guess we caught the wave because we won two at LSU.

That or RPI thinks a whole lot more about Troy than I do. Of course, this also could explain why Ole Miss's RPI is so high. Just schedule one really good team (Louisville) and play one decent mid major one time in a tournament (Coastal Carolina) and then play garbage for the most part and BOOM- RPI #7.

It's pretty simple. Losses by several of the teams right above us knocked them down enough for us to jump them with a road win over a decent team. Everyone is bunched together for the most part, and it could swing back the other way again fairly easily.