PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Rings

LC Dawg
05-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Serious question. If Mississippi State won an Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, or even a national championship would you buy a ring to commemorate the occasion? My cousin just sent me a picture of his newly arrived Sugar Bowl ring and I honestly think it's pretty silly. I always thought rings were reserved for players, coaches, and select athletic department officials.

PassInterference
05-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Everybody gets a trophy. Or a ring.

I wouldn't do it.

MedDawg
05-10-2016, 09:42 PM

MedDawg
05-10-2016, 09:43 PM
To commemorate our bowl win I'm gonna buy some khakis from Belk.

Jack Lambert
05-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Serious question. If Mississippi State won an Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, or even a national championship would you buy a ring to commemorate the occasion? My cousin just sent me a picture of his newly arrived Sugar Bowl ring and I honestly think it's pretty silly. I always thought rings were reserved for players, coaches, and select athletic department officials.

I hate to be the one to tell you they do get rings for every bowl games. I have seen four of them on a former MSU QB. It happens at Miss State. I have seen them.

LC Dawg
05-10-2016, 09:49 PM
To commemorate our bowl win I'm gonna buy some khakis from Belk.
That's a good idea. I'm still wearing my McRae's khakis but as soon as they're gone I'm doing that.

Tbonewannabe
05-10-2016, 09:52 PM
I hate to be the one to tell you they do get rings for every bowl games. I have seen four of them on a former MSU QB. It happens at Miss State. I have seen them.
Typically the teams get rings if they win a bowl game. UM was the first time I have heard of the team getting a ring from an ass whipping in the Peach bowl.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
05-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Was just thinking this earlier. There's a facebook ad advertising for om fans to get one. I'm fine with the players and staff getting them but it should be for a win. As far as fans go, I realize it's a possible revenue generator but it's dumb as hell for the common fan to wear a ring like they had something to do with the bowl win. I can't wait til I see some bozo with one so I can ask them what position they played or what stats they had in the game.

TUSK
05-10-2016, 09:55 PM
no way.... even if i could get someone design it, I think it'd be too heavy for me and would look gawdy...

Skydawg1
05-10-2016, 09:57 PM
Your cousin wasted money buying a worthless "fan" ring. What he should have done is just wait for them to start popping up on Ebay. Actual players' rings. They'll be there soon enough as rent becomes due, etc.

LC Dawg
05-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Your cousin wasted money buying a worthless "fan" ring. What he should have done is just wait for them to start popping up on Ebay. Actual players' rings. They'll be there soon enough as rent becomes due, etc.
Nope. Student Opportunity Fund takes care of that.

State82
05-10-2016, 10:15 PM
One of the dumber things I've heard of with regard to souvenir purchases.

Howboutdemdogs
05-10-2016, 10:30 PM
It won't happen when rent it due,,,,,it will happen now when the utility bill is due. No more water bills or electric bills will be be paid, due to self imposed sanctions.

KB549
05-10-2016, 10:33 PM
I worked with a guy back in 2002 who was on the Sugar Bowl committee. He had access to left over swag that they were trying to clear out. I bought a Sugar Bowl watch for $50, kept it a year or two and sold it on eBay to a Florida fan (if memory serves me correctly) for like $225. Technically, it was the same swag that the players received. I wished I had bought all of them he had.

Corn Bread
05-10-2016, 11:25 PM
I worked with a guy back in 2002 who was on the Sugar Bowl committee. He had access to left over swag that they were trying to clear out. I bought a Sugar Bowl watch for $50, kept it a year or two and sold it on eBay to a Florida fan (if memory serves me correctly) for like $225. Technically, it was the same swag that the players received. I wished I had bought all of them he had.

Jack is correct regarding bowl rings. Tyler Russell wore a maroon colored ring after their bowl victory. If a bowl ring is a must for you ebay has them all day long, fakes and the real deal.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't buy it because it's just not my thing. I would never wear it. Just give me a Sugar Bowl t-shirt and I would probably be happy.

Plus, it's probably pretty expensive I would imagine.

I think the rings should be reserved for those actually within the program like players, coaches, team personnel people like the managers, etc. You know- people that actually contributed to winning the games and not winning the party.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 11:45 PM
no way.... even if i could get someone design it, I think it'd be too heavy for me and would look gawdy...

You should totally go to Oxford next year and pull the Joe Montana deal and say "Oh, you have a Peach Bowl Ring" and then flash like five fingers of National Championship rings in the Grove.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 11:45 PM

Pretty sure they could get Tunsil's and the Nkemdiche brothers right now.

RocketDawg
05-11-2016, 06:50 AM
No I would not. I wouldn't even buy a tee shirt.

Johnson85
05-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Wouldn't buy it and I don't get the people who would. If I wanted a souvenir, it would be the ticket stubs (assuming I actually went to the game). A souvenir ring would be just a more expensive version of the Sports illustrated commemorative books or whatever they used to advertise for, along with a subscription, after each championship in a major sport. I can understand people buying players rings off Ebay, although also not my thing.

Boodawg
05-11-2016, 07:18 AM
That's very silly and laughable at the same time. Never heard of anyone doing that. Who's gonna be impressed by that? Which I'm sure is the purpose of him getting it, to show it off.

Dawgface
05-11-2016, 07:26 AM
If we win a NC I'll just drink myself into oblivion. No rings for me.

BulldogBear
05-11-2016, 07:40 AM
That's very silly and laughable at the same time. Never heard of anyone doing that. Who's gonna be impressed by that? Which I'm sure is the purpose of him getting it, to show it off.

Like many others earlier in this thread I would not. In fact I didn't even know you could. Thought somethIng like that was reserved for thr ones that actually had something to do with the football program. Seems like douchebaggery to me.

Dawgbite
05-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Like many others earlier in this thread I would not. In fact I didn't even know you could. Thought somethIng like that was reserved for thr ones that actually had something to do with the football program. Seems like douchebaggery to me.

This is the only answer for any fan with a ounce of self respect. With correct spelling of course!

Jack Lambert
05-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Typically the teams get rings if they win a bowl game. UM was the first time I have heard of the team getting a ring from an ass whipping in the Peach bowl.

State got one for the ass whipping at the last Gator Bowl.

Jack Lambert
05-11-2016, 08:00 AM

What happen to the pieces of glass from the NC trophy that got broken? I am surprise Bama didn't auction those off.

State82
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM

One of the most UNM things ever.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2016, 09:07 AM
State got one for the ass whipping at the last Gator Bowl.

First time I am hearing about it. I guess if you are allowed to give the players something for their hard work, you do it. I have no problem with it but it is like a participation trophy. If I was a player, I am not sure I would keep it. Probably would just put it on ebay.

AusTexDawg
05-11-2016, 09:23 AM
I think the rings should be reserved for those actually within the program like players, coaches, team personnel people like the managers, etc. You know- people that actually contributed to winning the games and not winning the party.

^This

Jack Lambert
05-11-2016, 09:39 AM
First time I am hearing about it. I guess if you are allowed to give the players something for their hard work, you do it. I have no problem with it but it is like a participation trophy. If I was a player, I am not sure I would keep it. Probably would just put it on ebay.

The guy who had the rings was at state five years but had four rings and he was in Mullen's first recruiting class. I am almost sure he said two of the rings were Gator Bowl rings. I remember joking about a mistake he made in the Second Gator Bowl and said that he wish folks would forget about that.

MSUDawg99
05-11-2016, 09:53 AM

That's not the question he's asking. He's asking if YOU, AS A FAN, would buy a ring if MSU won the Orange Bowl. Personally I think that's the king of all douchbaggery to do that. Why would you BUY (not earn, no less) a ring for a game you didn't participate in? That's the gheyest thing I've ever heard & also the most Ole Siss thing I've ever heard. Somehow I'm not surprised that your cousin did. Sorry, dude, I know it's #fam but good Lord that's ghey!

MSUDawg99
05-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Ha! I just read your response & I see we are on the same page of terminology today. I said similar.

Jack Lambert
05-11-2016, 09:59 AM
That's not the question he's asking. He's asking if YOU, AS A FAN, would buy a ring if MSU won the Orange Bowl. Personally I think that's the king of all douchbaggery to do that. Why would you BUY (not earn, no less) a ring for a game you didn't participate in? That's the gheyest thing I've ever heard & also the most Ole Siss thing I've ever heard. Somehow I'm not surprised that your cousin did. Sorry, dude, I know it's #fam but good Lord that's ghey!

I would not but I did buy a T shirt.

BulldogBear
05-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Ha! I just read your response & I see we are on the same page of terminology today. I said similar.

Ha! I like to think I invented it, especially when paired with "general," as in the general douchebaggery that emits from the Grove, but I'm willing to share! Another one that's come up recently is coining the recruiting activities and invoking of Christ whilst spinning these shenanigans as the general slimeballery coming out of Miss Oxford Junior College!

RougeDawg
05-11-2016, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't buy it because it's just not my thing. I would never wear it. Just give me a Sugar Bowl t-shirt and I would probably be happy.

Plus, it's probably pretty expensive I would imagine.

I believe you forgot what fan base we are speaking of. Those asshats are more influential in who actually signs and makes it to campus than Bucky.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2016, 01:37 PM
The guy who had the rings was at state five years but had four rings and he was in Mullen's first recruiting class. I am almost sure he said two of the rings were Gator Bowl rings. I remember joking about a mistake he made in the Second Gator Bowl and said that he wish folks would forget about that.

I don't see how anyone could point out one mistake for the 2nd Gator Bowl when the whole team played like crap. Now that I think about it, if I was a player I might keep a ring from a bowl game loss. Getting to a bowl game is the result of a good season so the ring might mean more about the season than just one game.

RougeDawg
05-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Im sure it'll be the topic of discussion at hundreds of "Seersucker Society" gatherings across Mississippi.

Jack Lambert
05-11-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't see how anyone could point out one mistake for the 2nd Gator Bowl when the whole team played like crap. Now that I think about it, if I was a player I might keep a ring from a bowl game loss. Getting to a bowl game is the result of a good season so the ring might mean more about the season than just one game.

The rings looked really nice but were not all that expensive. If I remember correctly he had his state 5a ring on as well. He brought them to show them to me. It wasn't like he wears them.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2016, 03:20 PM
The rings looked really nice but were not all that expensive. If I remember correctly he had his state 5a ring on as well. He brought them to show them to me. It wasn't like he wears them.

I would think of it more like a trophy than an actual ring to wear. You don't see people wear them often unless it is for a reason. I actually got my picture taken with Joe Gibbs while holding his superbowl ring. I imagine most bowl rings don't have very expensive stones in them.

Bothrops
05-11-2016, 04:00 PM

Players only, players only.

Corn Bread
05-11-2016, 10:18 PM

99 I agree with you. You only earn a ring if you either play, coach, or management of some type. A fan ring is like the youth soccer trophy ball that spins for participating. Means you suck, but you earned it. Damn problem with youth today.