PDA

View Full Version : Mangum vs Woodman

CadaverDawg
05-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Dude on Twitter is saying JB Woodman deserves the Ferriss more than Mangum. Using several stats like home runs & other power numbers.

So what say ye? Make your case for Mangum over Woodman.

I told him to ask someone outside of MS who JB Woodman is, and that might tell him all he needs to know.

Boy they hate being little bro. They'd rather win the Ferriss & steal our National Seed than win the CWS. Ha

AlmostPositive
05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Woodman is good... Mangum being a Freshman might work against him.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 05:51 PM
He'll be real disappointed to learn that Reid Humphreys has more extra base hits right now. Not including the three he had stolen this year. Not to mention a higher average as well.

Brent Rooker and Gavin Collins also have similar power numbers as well. Rooker of course having a higher average.

I don't think it matters- I think Dakota will probably win the Ferris this year.

What Mangum is doing as a freshman is remarkable. To compare the two accurately, I'm going to use OBS which is on base percentage + slugging.

I get 0.985 for Mangum (.521 SLG; .464 OBP)

And 0.950 for Woodman (.544 SLG; .406 OBP)

So, using that metric it shows that even though Woodman has a higher slugging percentage and thus more power when you look at both Mangum is the better player when all factors are considered.

Engine
05-09-2016, 06:10 PM
To compare the two accurately, I'm going to use OBS which is on base percentage + slugging.

That would be OPS. Obviously not your area of expertise

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
That would be OPS. Obviously not your area of expertise

Brain fart. But at least I know how to hit.

Steakonastick
05-09-2016, 06:30 PM
I expect Hudson wins the award unless he tanks his next two starts.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 06:41 PM
I expect Hudson wins the award unless he tanks his next two starts.

He would get my vote at this point too.

msbulldog
05-09-2016, 06:51 PM
The Ferriss should be for the player who makes the most difference for his team and some what for which team does the best. Dakota has made the difference for our team and MSU is the best team 3-1!

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 07:03 PM
The Ferriss should be for the player who makes the most difference for his team and some what for which team does the best. Dakota has made the difference for our team and MSU is the best team 3-1!

Obviously I said I would vote for Dakota, but I think Austin Sexton probably deserves a lot of consideration as well.

He has defeated Vandy on the road, Georgia, pitched about as well as Dakota did or better against Ole Miss at home, started the game where we first beat Florida (Hudson didn't), lost to A&M but had to leave early because of a hamstring pull, THEN came back and shut down LSU in Baton Rouge against their best pitcher, we lost to Alabama in his start but left with a shutout intact and should have stayed in, and now he outdueled Tanner Houck to key the sweep against Mizzou. His SEC only numbers are not quite as good as Hudson's, but they aren't that far off.

SEC Only:

Hudson- 3.18 ERA 5-2 record, 53 K's 11 BB's in 56.2 IP Team record in his SEC starts is 6-2 overall.

Sexton- 3.64 ERA 3-1 record, 40K's 12 BB's in 47 IP Team record in his SEC starts is also 6-2 overall.

FISHDAWG
05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
don't know if you are aware of it or not but H2H was using your info (sounded like they were referring to your tweets as they referenced Cadaverdawg) to discuss this today

CadaverDawg
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
don't know if you are aware of it or not but H2H was using your info (sounded like they were referring to your tweets as they referenced Cadaverdawg) to discuss this today

Ha, did not know that. Wasn't listening. Cliff notes?

JohnnyQuid
05-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Ha, did not know that. Wasn't listening. Cliff notes?

they asked Ben Mcdonald and he basically said for what he's meant to state it would be hard to vote against him. I didn't really hear Matt or Richard give an opinion might have been earlier in the show.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 08:26 PM

That's pretty cool. I'll have to look for it to see if I can listen to what they were saying.

RocketDawg
05-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Obviously I said I would vote for Dakota, but I think Austin Sexton probably deserves a lot of consideration as well.

He has defeated Vandy on the road, Georgia, pitched about as well as Dakota did or better against Ole Miss at home, started the game where we first beat Florida (Hudson didn't), lost to A&M but had to leave early because of a hamstring pull, THEN came back and shut down LSU in Baton Rouge against their best pitcher, we lost to Alabama in his start but left with a shutout intact and should have stayed in, and now he outdueled Tanner Houck to key the sweep against Mizzou. His SEC only numbers are not quite as good as Hudson's, but they aren't that far off.

SEC Only:

Hudson- 3.18 ERA 5-2 record, 53 K's 11 BB's in 56.2 IP Team record in his SEC starts is 6-2 overall.

Sexton- 3.64 ERA 3-1 record, 40K's 12 BB's in 47 IP Team record in his SEC starts is also 6-2 overall.

What it boils down to is we have a lot of very good players.

JDog13
05-09-2016, 08:59 PM
Who is woodman and who does she play for?

BeardoMSU
05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Who is woodman and who does she play for?

She's second string FB for The London Silly Nannies.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 09:31 PM
What it boils down to is we have a lot of very good players.

You're right about that. And just like our 2013 team I think we're going to start to realize how good as these guys progress in pro ball.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Slight thread hijack: Mangum has to be SEC freshman of the year, right? Who else is even in the discussion?

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Slight thread hijack: Mangum has to be SEC freshman of the year, right? Who else is even in the discussion?

He gets my vote. Especially if he ends up leading the SEC in batting average.

dickiedawg
05-10-2016, 06:22 AM
I think Humphreys has to be in the discussion, too. I haven't looked at the numbers, but with the game on the line he's the guy I want to put it on, whether it's on the mound or at the plate.

It made me absolutely sick that we lost that Alabama game without sending him out there, until I found out about his arm soreness.

msstate7
05-10-2016, 06:34 AM
I think Humphreys has to be in the discussion, too. I haven't looked at the numbers, but with the game on the line he's the guy I want to put it on, whether it's on the mound or at the plate.

It made me absolutely sick that we lost that Alabama game without sending him out there, until I found out about his arm soreness.

As good as mangum and hump have been at the plate, I still want Lowe batting more than any of our players with the game on the line.

CadaverDawg
05-10-2016, 07:01 AM
As good as mangum and hump have been at the plate, I still want Lowe batting more than any of our players with the game on the line.

Hard to argue

msstate7
05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Speaking of mangum... He's headed to the cape

I seen it dawg
05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Brain fart. But at least I know how to hit.

Look breaking ball adjust to fastball.

CadaverDawg
05-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Speaking of mangum... He's headed to the cape

That's awesome. Any other summer league announcements?

I seen it dawg
05-10-2016, 08:08 AM

Lowe is the best hitter in the league. It's still inexplicable to me why the Missouri coach pitched to him with a base open Friday night when he hit the 2 out double to tie it.

I seen it dawg
05-10-2016, 08:10 AM

Should be. Will be a Freshman AA with AA consideration.

Homedawg
05-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Yep. Agree.

FISHDAWG
05-10-2016, 12:33 PM
That's pretty cool. I'll have to look for it to see if I can listen to what they were saying.

it was late in the show ... sometime around 5:00

mic
05-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Lowe is the best hitter in the league. It's still inexplicable to me why the Missouri coach pitched to him with a base open Friday night when he hit the 2 out double to tie it.

Agree... I wonder what his average is with 2 strikes...

MedDawg
05-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Dude on Twitter is saying JB Woodman deserves the Ferriss more than Mangum. Using several stats like home runs & other power numbers.

So what say ye? Make your case for Mangum over Woodman.

I told him to ask someone outside of MS who JB Woodman is, and that might tell him all he needs to know.

Boy they hate being little bro. They'd rather win the Ferriss & steal our National Seed than win the CWS. Ha

Here is the watch list for the 2016 Ferriss Award: http://msfame.com/news-updates/updated-may-9-c-spire-ferriss-trophy-watch-list/

Will Robertson, Delta State, Sr., OF: Leads Gulf South Conference in hitting at .446 with 27 doubles and eight home runs. Has batted in 69 runs and has a slugging percentage of .710.

MSUDawg99
05-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Here is the watch list for the 2016 Ferriss Award: http://msfame.com/news-updates/updated-may-9-c-spire-ferriss-trophy-watch-list/

Will Robertson, Delta State, Sr., OF: Leads Gulf South Conference in hitting at .446 with 27 doubles and eight home runs. Has batted in 69 runs and has a slugging percentage of .710.

Delta State just won the GSC champ again today with a win over UA-Huntsville 3-1.

JDog13
05-10-2016, 05:58 PM

Marrero would have that in the GSC.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Delta State just won the GSC champ again today with a win over UA-Huntsville 3-1.

Delta State just needs to go ahead and join D-1 as a baseball only member.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Marrero would have that in the GSC.

I do agree that level of competition has to factor in at some point. Not to take anything away from Robertson or any of the nominees from non-SEC schools.