PDA

View Full Version : From D1Baseball chat today....

CadaverDawg
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
This was a question asked by an OM fan, then answered by Kendall Rodgers. Haha

Comment From Tom (Austin, TX)
If Mississippi State beats Troy on Wednesday and wins its final two series, but doesn?t sweep either, how well would Ole Miss have to perform down the stretch to pass MSU in the National Seed race?

Kendall Rogers:
Tom,
They wouldn?t. If Miss State takes care of its business, the Bulldogs will and absolutely should be a national seed over Ole Miss. Sorry, the Bulldogs have the better resume right now

Much like last week's Twitter poll...that didn't have the outcome the Bear fan expected.

starkvegasdawg
05-09-2016, 02:42 PM
I bet Tom had to have a jaeger bomb and Robitussin to take the sting out of that.

AlmostPositive
05-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Maybe one day Ole Miss fans will learn to just stop fishing for compliments.

BeardoMSU
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I imagine Tom was furiously yelling this at his computer screen after KR's answer, lol....

But OM gotz people skillz!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1f/69/e6/1f69e6f0401a6f212c4be0a4cf7f0137.jpg

smootness
05-09-2016, 02:46 PM
It's pretty funny that they don't care so much about being a national seed unless they knock us out in the process.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2016, 02:47 PM

Funny you said that because every time HtH Has someone on to talk Miss State or Ole Miss Dick always do that. The ole miss way.

BeardoMSU
05-09-2016, 02:48 PM

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/tumblr_n9ij0ekqmc1setsv8o1_400.gif

BulldogBear
05-09-2016, 02:50 PM
I imagine Tom was furiously yelling this at his computer screen after KR's answer, lol....

But OM gotz people skillz!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1f/69/e6/1f69e6f0401a6f212c4be0a4cf7f0137.jpg

That's one of the best scenes of that movie!

Commercecomet24
05-09-2016, 02:51 PM
This was a question asked by an OM fan, then answered by Kendall Rodgers. Haha

Comment From Tom (Austin, TX)
If Mississippi State beats Troy on Wednesday and wins its final two series, but doesn?t sweep either, how well would Ole Miss have to perform down the stretch to pass MSU in the National Seed race?

Kendall Rogers:
Tom,
They wouldn?t. If Miss State takes care of its business, the Bulldogs will and absolutely should be a national seed over Ole Miss. Sorry, the Bulldogs have the better resume right now

Much like last week's Twitter poll...that didn't have the outcome the Bear fan expected.

Now thats some good stuff right there! I bet it will take ole Tom weeks to recover from that! They are so pompous and arrogant, nobody else in the country cares about UNM.

CadaverDawg
05-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Here's the chat transcript link....

http://www.d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseballs-weekly-chat-may-9/

It's not hard to pick out the Rebels...they are the ones trying to add Ole Miss to all the National Seed questions, haha.

I will say this though...Kendall nor Aaron give us much shot at winning the SEC or even the West as of today.

smootness
05-09-2016, 03:07 PM

It's not hard to pick out the Rebels...they are the ones trying to add Ole Miss to all the National Seed questions, haha.

I will say this though...Kendall nor Aaron give us much shot at winning the SEC or even the West as of today.

And they shouldn't. It's possible but certainly not likely.

ScoobaDawg
05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
The better question was this one..where Kendall shows how STRONG a chance we have to be a National Seed. He ranks as the 3rd strongest team in the SEC above USC.

Comment From Andrew
Any thoughts on who gets the 3 SEC national seeds? Assuming Florida is the only locked in one, how would you rank the candidates with the best possibilities between A&M, USC, Miss St and Miss? Did last weekend take Vandy out of the discussion?

Kendall Rogers:
Andrew,
Don’t think Vandy is out of the discussion, unless it loses the Florida series, which for me, is kind of an elimination series for their small NS chances to begin with.
For me? Ranking those teams NS-wise:

1) Florida
2) Texas A&M
3) Mississippi State
4) South Carolina

ScoobaDawg
05-09-2016, 03:10 PM

No they didn't but if we sweep and they go only 4-2 .... We will just slip right up the middle.

smootness
05-09-2016, 03:10 PM
He wanks

TMI

ScoobaDawg
05-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Another important note to watch in the next few days as more predictions come out. The ACC passed the SEC for #1 RPI Conference. . Will the ACC get 4 National Seeds instead of the SEC Getting 4 and then TX Tech gets the last one. Or do we both get one and Tx Tech gets knocked out.

MedDawg
05-09-2016, 03:25 PM
If State goes 2-1 against both Auburn and Arkansas but OM sweeps both UK and A&M, then they might be/should be considered over us. Maybe even 2-1 vs UK and sweeping @A&M. Anything else better for State or worse for OM and our 3-1 record vs OM trumps their RPI and overall record advantage.

maroonmania
05-09-2016, 03:47 PM
If State goes 2-1 against both Auburn and Arkansas but OM sweeps both UK and A&M, then they might be/should be considered over us. Maybe even 2-1 vs UK and sweeping @A&M. Anything else better for State or worse for OM and our 3-1 record vs OM trumps their RPI and overall record advantage.

If UNM sweeps UK and TA&M then yes, they would very much be in the discussion to get a national seed. And they should be as that would be a very impressive feat and would get them to 20 SEC wins. At 5-1 we are a lock as a National Seed regardless of what anyone else does. At 4-2 for us it could get dicey but only if you had a team that is considered behind us do some amazing things like I mentioned with UNM.

smootness
05-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Another important note to watch in the next few days as more predictions come out. The ACC passed the SEC for #1 RPI Conference. . Will the ACC get 4 National Seeds instead of the SEC Getting 4 and then TX Tech gets the last one. Or do we both get one and Tx Tech gets knocked out.

I don't really understand why he focused on that. That shouldn't matter in determining national seeds. They should just be looking at each individual team. Heck, every selection committee ever has claimed they don't look at conference when making their decision.

vv83
05-09-2016, 04:32 PM
When do the regionals start? (what date would be the first post SEC Tourney game we play)

bhamdawgfan
05-09-2016, 04:47 PM
When do the regionals start? (what date would be the first post SEC Tourney game we play)

Will be either the Friday or Saturday following the SEC tourney depending on how the selection goes.

State82
05-09-2016, 04:49 PM

Friday, June 3.

vv83
05-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Oh wow never realized it started so late. Always thought it was the last weekend in May not early June. Thanks

MSUDawg99
05-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Fri. June 3rd - Sun. June 5th are the Reg's.

MSUDawg99
05-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh wow never realized it started so late. Always thought it was the last weekend in May not early June. Thanks

Last wknd in May is the SEC tourney

BulldogBear
05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
TMI

because he's only the 3rd strongest

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 05:54 PM
It's pretty funny that they don't care so much about being a national seed unless they knock us out in the process.

What is sad is that would involve their team being swept by Texas A&M most likely and probably costing them a regional host bid in the process.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 05:57 PM

I think it's because we're closer than they think and they don't realize it yet or they just want to see how things materialize this week. They are basically trying to cover 300 teams.

MedDawg
05-09-2016, 06:44 PM
I don't really understand why he focused on that. That shouldn't matter in determining national seeds. They should just be looking at each individual team. Heck, every selection committee ever has claimed they don't look at conference when making their decision.

I've been looking at the conference rpi's on warrenolan and the SEC and ACC have been going back and forth between #1 and #2 every week, so it's not new or noteworthy that one conference is barely higher than the other.

Right now the ACC is 0.5788 and the SEC is 0.5739. The SEC will pass them on Tuesday because the SEC non-conference opponents are better, but it still won't mean much.

maroonmania
05-09-2016, 09:06 PM
I've been looking at the conference rpi's on warrenolan and the SEC and ACC have been going back and forth between #1 and #2 every week, so it's not new or noteworthy that one conference is barely higher than the other.

Right now the ACC is 0.5788 and the SEC is 0.5739. The SEC will pass them on Tuesday because the SEC non-conference opponents are better, but it still won't mean much.

For national seeds it really shouldn't matter in overall conference RPI, it should just matter in comparing each conference's top 4.

missouridawg
05-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I think it's because we're closer than they think and they don't realize it yet or they just want to see how things materialize this week. They are basically trying to cover 300 teams.

I thought I saw Kendall tweet last night that he could easily see us winning it all. Especially considering that you don't need to be terribly deep in the pitching staff at Omaha because of all the off days built into the schedule.

Todd4State
05-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I thought I saw Kendall tweet last night that he could easily see us winning it all. Especially considering that you don't need to be terribly deep in the pitching staff at Omaha because of all the off days built into the schedule.

I did hear that. I don't think he dislikes us or anything like that- if anything he seems to like MSU. He's put out a ton of stories on D1 baseball about us. If we get a National Seed would definitely could make another run. IMO we have one of if not the biggest homefield advantages in a regional situation- up there with LSU. I'll never forget our fans intimidating Clemson- which is a good baseball school that has good crowds. I remember I was sitting by the bullpen and Clemson was making a pitching change and as soon as the gate swung open our fans were on top of the guy talking smack and the pitcher's eyes were HUGE like saucers. He didn't do too well.

Anyway it sounds to me like he just may not think we will win the SEC. If things go well for us this weekend, he'll probably change his tune.

State82
05-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I just want that national seed in the worst way. Just to say we were one. You know, kinda like saying we were the first team in Mississippi to make the NCAA Final Four; or the first team in Mississippi to make the SEC Championship game in Atlanta; or, the first team in Mississippi to make the CWS Championship Series; or, the first team in Mississippi to be ranked #1 in the College Football Playoff rankings; or the first team in the nation to be ranked #1 in the CFP rankings; oh well, you get my drift. Gets kinda boring after a while, huh?

missouridawg
05-09-2016, 10:13 PM
I did hear that. I don't think he dislikes us or anything like that- if anything he seems to like MSU. He's put out a ton of stories on D1 baseball about us. If we get a National Seed would definitely could make another run. IMO we have one of if not the biggest homefield advantages in a regional situation- up there with LSU. I'll never forget our fans intimidating Clemson- which is a good baseball school that has good crowds. I remember I was sitting by the bullpen and Clemson was making a pitching change and as soon as the gate swung open our fans were on top of the guy talking smack and the pitcher's eyes were HUGE like saucers. He didn't do too well.

Anyway it sounds to me like he just may not think we will win the SEC. If things go well for us this weekend, he'll probably change his tune.

I get that on message boards, everyone likes to speculate on what's going to happen.... And everyone is going to be excited
about winning a championship... But I can't figure out why our fans are so optimistic about the overall SEC championship? We have to sweep two series... Or we have to have the conference leaders go 3-3 over their next 6 to allow us a chance. These seem like such long shots to me that, if Kendall was saying we dont have a shot at SEC reg season title, I'd agree with him. We are asking a LOT of our opponents in these scenarios.

AlmostPositive
05-09-2016, 10:29 PM
I get that on message boards, everyone likes to speculate on what's going to happen.... And everyone is going to be excited
about winning a championship... But I can't figure out why our fans are so optimistic about the overall SEC championship? We have to sweep two series... Or we have to have the conference leaders go 3-3 over their next 6 to allow us a chance. These seem like such long shots to me that, if Kendall was saying we dont have a shot at SEC reg season title, I'd agree with him. We are asking a LOT of our opponents in these scenarios.

All we have to is lose two fewer games than the teams ahead of us, all of whom play much harder schedules. I would say we are roughly as likely as anyone else to win it all or at least tie.

Todd4State
05-10-2016, 12:13 AM

I think it's because we have more than held our own vs most of the better teams in the SEC and some of the teams ahead of us have tough teams the next two weeks. South Carolina and Texas A&M will probably cannibalize each other. Or at least one or the other. That's guaranteed to take care of one team for us right there. Florida finishes with Vandy and at LSU. There is a very good chance they lose at least two out of those six. South Carolina then has to go on the road to Alabama who has a really good pitching staff plus South Carolina has not been nearly as good on the road minus the Ole Miss series.

No one is saying it's a shoe in and I think everyone understands it's a tough task to sweep or even go 5-1 the next two weeks. At the same time it's realistic and it's worth discussing. I think it's hard to not like where we are right now.

And at the same time if some National expert doesn't think we have a chance- that doesn't really bother me. If we take care of business this weekend they'll be talking about us having a chance next week.

dickiedawg
05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Ole Miss has been a national seed, but it's been a while.

engie
05-10-2016, 07:23 AM
I just want that national seed in the worst way. Just to say we were one. You know, kinda like saying we were the first team in Mississippi to make the NCAA Final Four; or the first team in Mississippi to make the SEC Championship game in Atlanta; or, the first team in Mississippi to make the CWS Championship Series; or, the first team in Mississippi to be ranked #1 in the College Football Playoff rankings; or the first team in the nation to be ranked #1 in the CFP rankings; oh well, you get my drift. Gets kinda boring after a while, huh?

Ole Miss was the #5 national seed in 2005 before losing to eventual national champions Texas in the supers.

State82
05-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Ole Miss was the #5 national seed in 2005 before losing to eventual national champions Texas in the supers.

Yes, I remember that now. Even more reason to go ahead and get one locked down.

smootness
05-10-2016, 10:45 AM
All we have to is lose two fewer games than the teams ahead of us, all of whom play much harder schedules. I would say we are roughly as likely as anyone else to win it all or at least tie.

In two series. No, we are not as likely as anyone else to win it. That's crazy.

DancingRabbit
05-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Can't tie FL or SC unless we have a rain-out.

That would really suck for us if a couple of winnable games got rained out.