PDA

View Full Version : Know When To Fold'em

KB549
05-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Long. Sorry. Been thinking about this for a while. I've said before that this is the ultimate high stakes poker game between UNM and the NCAA.

Assumption: The NCAA wasn't previously aware of the Tunsil/John Miller texts (not in NOA).

We know Tunsil's loaner cars and interest free loan is n the NOA. UNM admitted that and I believe them. This is the "nothing new" spin form Jan/Feb talking points. When the NCAA investigated and interviewed Tunsil, you know they asked him if he received any other non-permissible benefits. Still being a student-athlete, he would have said no. The step-father may not have spilled the beans at the time. If his intentions were to sue, he needed Tunsil to play a few games to keep the draft stock high.

UNM files for the extension. This helped them, but could be the nail in the coffin. Now, in their response, if the NOA includes anything about the Tunsil family living situation or impermissible benefits, the texts have to be addressed and admitted to or somehow explained away. They have to be wondering what other texts the hacker may have access to that could be worse than what has already been put out. So the ultimate question for them is do they admit and own up to paying him and his mom's utility bills OR roll the dice and hope nothing else comes out. If something else does come out that wasn't disclosed in their reply, the NCAA will hit their whole staff with show causes. Step dad is very likely a willing cooperator now (unless he has been "re-bought"). But failure to cooperate is admission of guilt.

If the NOA doesn't address this, they have to self report it and it brings a 2nd investigation onto campus (or 3rd, if you want to call it that). Again, this is high stakes poker. Admit to it and you have coaches/AD Dept PAYING or organizing payments to a player!!!! Deny it and if it gets proven with the hacker turning over the phone or through some other method, the NCAA will be looking to shut down your program.

Now you can change that assumption made in the beginning that the NCAA knew about the texts and they were in the NOA (highly unlikely because the coaches would have already been fired). UNM is still in the same boat, the Titanic. And they're bailing water with tablespoons.

This point has likely been made before, but is worth repeating. The UNM Administration probably can't decide who it wants to piss off. The football fans or the NCAA. Do they clean house and try to at least put on a show for the NCAA that they are not gong to have a shady program? Or double down on Freeze/Bdork even though it may backfire.

This is like a soap opera. For you Bear lurkers, my bet is 9 over 3. You will get to sign 9 over 3 years if your lucky. Not the other way around.

Reason2succeed
05-09-2016, 01:06 PM
The fans will be pissed. Not just because Bjork and Freeze got their program hammered by the NCAA but also because they were lied to the entire time by a snake oil salesman masquerading as a man of God. They're screwed. Great analysis.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-09-2016, 01:14 PM
The part that some people forget is that this is not only a football investigation. It spans across 2 other sports under the same athletic department. When you couple that fact with the authorized payments from coaches to football players with the knowledge of an assistant AD, as well as the speculated academic fraud, I just don't see any way that they don't get hit with Lack of Institutional Control. They are the poster child for non compliance, and at this point it just depends on how hard the NCAA wants to come down on them. Personally, I think the NCAA has no choice but to bury them. If they go easy on them, they leave the door open for the NCAA to become irrelevant, and that would mean a HUGE loss of money for the organization. They won't let that happen.

Ole Miss better enjoy this last winning season. I have a feeling they won't have another for a while after 2016.

Mjoelner34
05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
The step-father may not have spilled the beans at the time.

I don't know what all he told them but he has already stated that he didn't know about the text messages that came out on draft night or he would have mentioned that too.

Political Hack
05-09-2016, 01:38 PM
I think you can safely assume that your assumption is correct.

Reason2succeed
05-09-2016, 01:50 PM
The part that some people forget is that this is not only a football investigation. It spans across 2 other sports under the same athletic department. When you couple that fact with the authorized payments from coaches to football players with the knowledge of an assistant AD, as well as the speculated academic fraud, I just don't see any way that they don't get hit with Lack of Institutional Control. They are the poster child for non compliance, and at this point it just depends on how hard the NCAA wants to come down on them. Personally, I think the NCAA has no choice but to bury them. If they go easy on them, they leave the door open for the NCAA to become irrelevant, and that would mean a HUGE loss of money for the organization. They won't let that happen.

Ole Miss better enjoy this last winning season. I have a feeling they won't have another for a while after 2016.

Bingo! One thing you may have missed though. In addition to all of this OM has been caught lying during this investigation. Any lenience that they could have received for willingness to comply ought to be out of the window. At this point I wouldn't even accept self-imposed penalties if I were an NCAA investigator. Their entire allegation should be classified as aggravated cases and draw the maximum sanctions.

TrapGame
05-09-2016, 01:58 PM
They've already pissed off the NCAA. It doesn't matter if the fans get pissed now. They were, imo, going to get maybe a two year probation with serious recruiting sanctions but still able to weather the storm. Now, they're looking at sanctions one step under the death penalty. The NCAA is showing no mercy because they have to save face on this one.

LockeDawg
05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
They've already pissed off the NCAA. It doesn't matter if the fans get pissed now. They were, imo, going to get maybe a two year probation with serious recruiting sanctions but still able to weather the storm. Now, they're looking at sanctions one step under the death penalty. The NCAA is showing no mercy because they have to save face on this one.At a minimum they should get tagged with a Failure to Monitor from the NCAA. When the university not only fails to monitor their highest profile student-athletes but their own Asst Athletic Director then the issues are widespread lack of institutional control.

TrapGame
05-09-2016, 02:28 PM
At a minimum they should get tagged with a Failure to Monitor from the NCAA. When the university not only fails to monitor their highest profile student-athletes but their own Asst Athletic Director then the issues are widespread lack of institutional control.

Oh yeah, after the asst. AD greasing Tunsil fiasco anything short of LOIC is a joke. And, heck with what...3 or 4 sports under the NCAA microscope?...an LOIC should be expected at this point.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2016, 02:51 PM
Lack of institutional control? I may be seeing things but to me it looks more like institutional control of organized cheating. We are talking about an assistant coach and an assistant AD are we not?

AlSwearengen
05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Being from MS, we all know who runs things at olemiss and how they are run. I don't know how olemiss fans can logically get mad at anyone for whatever they get from the ncaa.

Recruit-a-palooza is a good example. I applaud their fans for showing up and putting on a good show. But, even the ones that just show up and don't hand out goodies know what is going on.

lastmajordog
05-09-2016, 03:46 PM
The fans will be pissed. Not just because Bjork and Freeze got their program hammered by the NCAA but also because they were lied to the entire time by a snake oil salesman masquerading as a man of God. They're screwed. Great analysis.

To admit the university had made a mistake or purposefully done something wrong is admitting the unfathomable, that UNM is no better than anyone else....NOT HAPPENING.

billbulldogs
05-09-2016, 03:50 PM
First of all I am no damn troll.

I love State and bleed maroon and white

I made that thread earlier because I am sick and tired of Ole Miss still getting high level recruits even while they are under this much crap.

All you people respond with when somebody has the guts to ask this question is (oh they cheating) or (hey your a troll)

Well thats bull shit and a cop out.

And now they got another 4 star and we still singing the same damn tune

Somebody please give me one damn logical answer to why they are still getting who and what they want.

Because it makes no damn sense at all. Yall can hate me, but im still gonna ask it.

HOW ARE THEY STILL RECRUITING LIKE THIS WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN TROUBLE!?

PS: sorry if i pissed yall off with that thread, it wasnt my intentions.

TrapGame
05-09-2016, 03:54 PM

I made that thread earlier because I am sick and tired of Ole Miss still getting high level recruits even while they are under this much crap.

All you people respond with when somebody has the guts to ask this question is (oh they cheating) or (hey your a troll)

Somebody please give me one damn logical answer to why they are still getting who and what they want.

Because it makes no damn sense at all. Yall can hate me, but im still gonna ask it.

HOW ARE THEY STILL RECRUITING LIKE THIS WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN TROUBLE!?

They don't give a damn anymore.

and...

If they were to stop hauling in 4*/ 5* players all of a sudden and go to bringing in nothing but 2*/3* then we'd know all that big time recruiting was a lie.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2016, 03:57 PM

Not like they have a ass kicking class going right now. Are they even top 50?

billbulldogs
05-09-2016, 04:00 PM
They don't give a damn anymore.

and...

If they were to stop hauling in 4*/ 5* players all of a sudden and go to bringing in nothing but 2*/3* then we'd know all that big time recruiting was a lie.

Okay but then what does this say about the kids? Wouldn't they know damn well what they are getting themselves into? I mean they could literally go anywhere in the country 10x better then Ole Piss.Yet they still pickin them. Are they that naive to where they still gonna go there despite the shit show that is coming there? OR do they know something we dont and perhaps Ole Piss may be getting away with it after all? .... this has to make you ponder.....and it makes me frustrated

billbulldogs
05-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Not like they have a ass kicking class going right now. Are they even top 50?

Well Coatney was a big get for them that is eligible for 2016 and this kid they just got is a 4 star for 2017....and they both committed after this Tunsil shit storm....ideally when players would usually stay as far as possible away from a program that should be burning in flames

I_Spy
05-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Use this as a guide... Real preaching

The right choice moves you forward and you continue forward or move...
The wrong choices repeats or stays stuck or same old same old

So this OM thing is a rudimentary type of read. This story.

...and as always, Hail State

mic
05-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Well Coatney was a big get for them that is eligible for 2016 and this kid they just got is a 4 star for 2017....and they both committed after this Tunsil shit storm....ideally when players would usually stay as far as possible away from a program that should be burning in flames

One don't bank on Coatney being able to contribute much this year if any... And it's not because of the depth chart there
Two the kid they just got a commit from , I give him less than 10% chance of sticking...

I_Spy
05-09-2016, 04:16 PM
So Just for the sake of protecting wisdom and valuable information, life theories work, they should oust Freeze, ban OM for a good bit and force them into finally changing their ways.

To lead is to be the example. Of leadership

archdog
05-09-2016, 04:19 PM
They've already pissed off the NCAA. It doesn't matter if the fans get pissed now. They were, imo, going to get maybe a two year probation with serious recruiting sanctions but still able to weather the storm. Now, they're looking at sanctions one step under the death penalty. The NCAA is showing no mercy because they have to save face on this one.

And all the way in the background, we though Redmond had a terrible punishment. This one better be worse than a guy missing over half his college career for a pOS mustang on the cheap.

Central Pork
05-09-2016, 04:30 PM
After how the NCAA handled the Cam Newton deal, you have to be skeptic they will hammer anyone. They made new rules to cover it.

But, the Ole Miss deal is different. The paying recruits to visit is the one thing that should get them hammered. IMO

I_Spy
05-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Again, the right choices, Redmond probably be a NFL difference maker, move you forward

Bad choices move you backward or stuck generally

Proven I think already

It goes beyond what everyone does bc OM is crisis program the last few years or zero leadership. Logic alone tells you...their results or truly lack thereof

It would be stupid not to hammer OM at this point. I mean

MSUDawg99
05-09-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't know what all he told them but he has already stated that he didn't know about the text messages that came out on draft night or he would have mentioned that too.

Did he say he didn't know anything or did he say he wasn't the hacker responsible for releasing the info from the phone? I thought it was the latter?

Dawgology
05-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Again, the right choices, Redmond probably be a NFL difference maker, move you forward

Bad choices move you backward or stuck generally

Proven I think already

It goes beyond what everyone does bc OM is crisis program the last few years or zero leadership. Logic alone tells you...their results or truly lack thereof

It would be stupid not to hammer OM at this point. I mean

When I read your comments.
I feel like
I'm reading
Haiku
Poetry...

BossDawg
05-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Okay but then what does this say about the kids? Wouldn't they know damn well what they are getting themselves into? I mean they could literally go anywhere in the country 10x better then Ole Piss.Yet they still pickin them. Are they that naive to where they still gonna go there despite the shit show that is coming there? OR do they know something we dont and perhaps Ole Piss may be getting away with it after all? .... this has to make you ponder.....and it makes me frustrated

Kids their age are just damn gullible and will believe pretty much anything you tell them, and Freeze is a pretty good snake oil salesman, too. You have to give him that. Also, there's plenty of time left for these guys to decommit. Everything appears to be OK now because UM technically isn't in trouble, yet. Once the NCAA hands down penalties though.......

Another note, earlier I read where this 4 star guy they got today was from Baton Rouge and didn't have an offer from LSU. That's kinda weird.

BossDawg
05-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Coatney is evidently a big risk and has gotten into a little trouble here and there, so teams like Bama have backed off of him. That's just grapevine talk though. I don't think he was a "huge, we GOTTA get this guy" recruit by any stretch of the imagination either.

Dolphus Raymond
05-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Three sports with major violations tells even the most pessimistic that LOIC is a given. The AD is a dead man walking.

BulldogBear
05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
When I read your comments.
I feel like
I'm reading
Haiku
Poetry...

I was thinking it was Yoda's "special" cousin

ETA: I suppose it could be poetry from Yoda's people, a people we still know nothing of....their poetry, all that's left there is

Dawgowar
05-09-2016, 06:12 PM
I was thinking it was Yoda's "special" cousin

ETA: I suppose it could be poetry from Yoda's people, a people we still know nothing of....their poetry, all that's left there is

Recruit Bears they do.

billbulldogs
05-09-2016, 06:14 PM
So Just for the sake of protecting wisdom and valuable information, life theories work, they should oust Freeze, ban OM for a good bit and force them into finally changing their ways.

To lead is to be the example. Of leadership

Why do you talk like yoda?

billbulldogs
05-09-2016, 06:22 PM
But yoda's cousin aside .... I appreciate y'all answering that without jumping down my throat

jbjones
05-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Why do you talk like yoda?

Naw man, it's not Yoda...it's a hidden motivational speech! Or something.

Of leadership!!

http://tibbee-creek.com/images/leadership.jpeg

msbulldog
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Long. Sorry. Been thinking about this for a while. I've said before that this is the ultimate high stakes poker game between UNM and the NCAA.

Assumption: The NCAA wasn't previously aware of the Tunsil/John Miller texts (not in NOA).

We know Tunsil's loaner cars and interest free loan is n the NOA. UNM admitted that and I believe them. This is the "nothing new" spin form Jan/Feb talking points. When the NCAA investigated and interviewed Tunsil, you know they asked him if he received any other non-permissible benefits. Still being a student-athlete, he would have said no. The step-father may not have spilled the beans at the time. If his intentions were to sue, he needed Tunsil to play a few games to keep the draft stock high.

UNM files for the extension. This helped them, but could be the nail in the coffin. Now, in their response, if the NOA includes anything about the Tunsil family living situation or impermissible benefits, the texts have to be addressed and admitted to or somehow explained away. They have to be wondering what other texts the hacker may have access to that could be worse than what has already been put out. So the ultimate question for them is do they admit and own up to paying him and his mom's utility bills OR roll the dice and hope nothing else comes out. If something else does come out that wasn't disclosed in their reply, the NCAA will hit their whole staff with show causes. Step dad is very likely a willing cooperator now (unless he has been "re-bought"). But failure to cooperate is admission of guilt.

If the NOA doesn't address this, they have to self report it and it brings a 2nd investigation onto campus (or 3rd, if you want to call it that). Again, this is high stakes poker. Admit to it and you have coaches/AD Dept PAYING or organizing payments to a player!!!! Deny it and if it gets proven with the hacker turning over the phone or through some other method, the NCAA will be looking to shut down your program.

Now you can change that assumption made in the beginning that the NCAA knew about the texts and they were in the NOA (highly unlikely because the coaches would have already been fired). UNM is still in the same boat, the Titanic. And they're bailing water with tablespoons.

This point has likely been made before, but is worth repeating. The UNM Administration probably can't decide who it wants to piss off. The football fans or the NCAA. Do they clean house and try to at least put on a show for the NCAA that they are not gong to have a shady program? Or double down on Freeze/Bdork even though it may backfire.

This is like a soap opera. For you Bear lurkers, my bet is 9 over 3. You will get to sign 9 over 3 years if your lucky. Not the other way around.

If you play poker, you would enjoy the Texas Hold-em game between the NCAA & UNM at the table as a fly on the wall. good post.

Taog Redloh
05-09-2016, 07:25 PM
This guy is a troll. Used to post on nafoom.

Trolls are gettin' smarter

msbulldog
05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Bingo! One thing you may have missed though. In addition to all of this OM has been caught lying during this investigation. Any lenience that they could have received for willingness to comply ought to be out of the window. At this point I wouldn't even accept self-imposed penalties if I were an NCAA investigator. Their entire allegation should be classified as aggravated cases and draw the maximum sanctions.

The fallacy of your argument is that they have lied to the public, we don't know if they have lied to the NCAA.

Mjoelner34
05-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Did he say he didn't know anything or did he say he wasn't the hacker responsible for releasing the info from the phone? I thought it was the latter?

Actually it was both. He denied hacking the account but he also said if he would have had that information, he would have told the NCAA. I think that's a sure sign that he didn't hold anything back when he talked to them earlier.

"If I had a picture of Laremy or Instagram -- I don't have Instagram or Twitter -- but if I had Instagram information, when I talked to the NCAA, I would have given that. ... I would have gave that information up then."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/15455498/miami-dolphins-laremy-tunsil-camp-investigating-social-media-access-surrounding-bong-video-alleged-ole-miss-text-messages

msbulldog
05-09-2016, 08:04 PM

If you play poker, you would enjoy the Texas Hold-em game between the NCAA & UNM at the table as a fly on the wall. good post.

RocketDawg
05-09-2016, 08:23 PM

Your post showed up twice. Strange ....

Reason2succeed
05-09-2016, 08:45 PM
The fallacy of your argument is that they have lied to the public, we don't know if they have lied to the NCAA.

If the NCAA is at all competent they would have asked Tunsil if he had received any other benefits other than the "L-owner car". I assume he said no. But then Hugh Freeze just confirmed to David Brandt that the accusation of electric bill money on top of the rent was not a part of the original investigation.

The NCAA also expects schools' compliance departments to self report infractions they find. In this case coaches who were on staff were directly paying Tunsil. Once again I'm sure the NCAA asked if everything had been disclosed.

Someone lied and OM had been caught in that lie.

Coach34
05-09-2016, 09:13 PM
But yoda's cousin aside .... I appreciate y'all answering that without jumping down my throat

Bill- why wouldn't they continue to recruit well? They haven't been hit with sanctions yet. Their coaches and Network keep telling recruits that all this isn't much and nothing is gonna happen to them. So recruits jump on board.

Until the NOA comes out and it becomes the big story- their recruiting isn't going to slow down

Reason2succeed
05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Bill- why wouldn't they continue to recruit well? They haven't been hit with sanctions yet. Their coaches and Network keep telling recruits that all this isn't much and nothing is gonna happen to them. So recruits jump on board.

Until the NOA comes out and it becomes the big story- their recruiting isn't going to slow down

Speaking of the NOA, how many days do we have before their 30 day extension is up and they are forced to release it?

scottycameron
05-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Speaking of the NOA, how many days do we have before their 30 day extension is up and they are forced to release it?

May 22. Be patient. Will be here sooner than you think.

Riotous Thinking
05-10-2016, 08:46 AM
May 22. Be patient. Will be here sooner than you think.

So how does this work on the 22nd? Does the university have to release a statement with the full NOA or will it be a hacked and diced (redacted) version that everyone will see?

Bubb Rubb
05-10-2016, 08:54 AM

He was quoted in the ESPN story saying if he knew about them, he would have given them to the NCAA.

MSUDawg99
05-10-2016, 09:27 AM
He was quoted in the ESPN story saying if he knew about them, he would have given them to the NCAA.

Gotcha. Okay, thanks.

Original48
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM
So how does this work on the 22nd? Does the university have to release a statement with the full NOA or will it be a hacked and diced (redacted) version that everyone will see?
They request another 30 days.

dickiedawg
05-10-2016, 09:31 AM
There's no rule I'm aware of that they have to make that response public.

I imagine they'll release their "self-imposed" sanctions and convince the masses that's all there is to it. 9 over 3, 7 games for Tunsil, no visitors in April plus no spring game.
"We are thrilled to finally have this matter behind us."

Riotous Thinking
05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
There's no rule I'm aware of that they have to make that response public.

I imagine they'll release their "self-imposed" sanctions and convince the masses that's all there is to it. 9 over 3, 7 games for Tunsil, no visitors in April plus no spring game.
"We are thrilled to finally have this matter behind us."

So basically it will still be a wait and see game until after they go before the infractions committee and the NCAA releases their findings and penalties.

billbulldogs
05-10-2016, 10:28 AM

You ever bring anything relevant to this board besides calling folks a troll? ..... Troll.

Boodawg
05-10-2016, 10:46 AM
What about the FOIA? Doesn't that require a public institution to divulge the going ons?

scottycameron
05-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Not happening. Extension was filed by ex coach (read Vaughn). The NCAA won't grant another one. May 22 is it. The only question is if it's Friday or Monday. OM wants Friday late afternoon bad (obvious reasons), other party will probably want to wait as long as possible (Monday). Will interesting to see who wins out and how that plays out.

Taog Redloh
05-10-2016, 05:51 PM
You ever bring anything relevant to this board besides calling folks a troll? ..... Troll.

They see me trollin'......they hatin'.......

Bully13
05-10-2016, 06:13 PM

Have we abandoned enforcement?

RocketDawg
05-10-2016, 06:22 PM

They can't. Only one extension will be granted (read that somewhere in the official rules).

msbulldog
05-10-2016, 06:23 PM

According to a previous thread or story NCAA only allows 1 extension.

Bodaski
05-10-2016, 06:27 PM

What you may not know about Coatney, he has a sizable rap sheet. Was told we and Bama backed off because of his past.

spbdawg
05-10-2016, 06:29 PM
#

Original48
05-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Not happening. Extension was filed by ex coach (read Vaughn). The NCAA won't grant another one. May 22 is it. The only question is if it's Friday or Monday. OM wants Friday late afternoon bad (obvious reasons), other party will probably want to wait as long as possible (Monday). Will interesting to see who wins out and how that plays out.
I was being tongue in cheek...........sorta. It's hard not to anticipate yet another unforeseen delay with all that has transpired.

AlmostPositive
05-10-2016, 07:15 PM
The last extension worked out so well...

DancingRabbit
05-10-2016, 07:33 PM
To my knowledge, no school has ever responded to an NOA and kept it secret. I think the public and media pressure will intensify by an order of magnitude if they try.

But most schools respond to FOIA requests, so OM may continue to bring "new and creative ways of dealing with the NCAA".

For example, by rule I think David Saunders and the guy at Texas would get copies. Unless OM pays a handsome fee, they have no reason not to leak the documents.

ScoobaDawg
05-11-2016, 10:51 AM

No such user on Nafoom... Sure you aren't trolling?

MadDawg
05-11-2016, 12:39 PM
They can't. Only one extension will be granted (read that somewhere in the official rules).

Official rules. Official Rules?? You think those bastards care about "official rules"?!?!