PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report: Mother's Day Edition

BeastMan
05-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Slept a little later than what I intended and didn't really leave the dock til 630ish. Wind was very manageable and there was plenty of incoming tide moving until noon so we decided to chase some trout. Thought maybe since it was Mother's Day, it wouldn't be crazy so we stopped at Isle Au Pitre only the find a dozen boats in the general area we would have fished. Water was plenty good enough for trout do we decided to stay on the exterior islands of the marsh and ran right to Brush Island. Within 10 mins of trolling I'm buttoned up to a nice red (24ish inches) and after a long fight where I cleared trolling motor & he ran under the boat, he came off right at the boat. Was pretty bummed because I was doing all kinds of gymnastics during the fight. Another hour and a half of covering dang near everything at Brush we had 1 trout.

Made a switch to plan redfish and I've finally gotten to the point where I have a few holes that are consistent producers if the conditions are right. Today was picture perfect for this one pond. It has to be a high tide to get in there and a south wind makes the shoreline I like the wind blown shore. We had all that. We power poled down at the first pocket and got 2 reds. Moved over 50 yards to another pocket and picked up 4-5 more. After we'd pick up a few it would stop and then we'd creep down a ways and start hooking up again. After fishing this shoreline in 5 increments we had 13 reds in the box. We circled back to spot #1 and had our last 2 quickly. We got our 15 slot reds in about 2 hours. Also had 3-4 good fish get off and landed 3-4 rats. Was a great redfish day.

All fish were caught on live cocahoe minnows 1.5 feet under a cork. What made this day so gratifying is that this isn't a "community hole". It's a spot we found scouting around with a friend. Have been back a handful of times in different situations and know when it's on or not through trial and error. I made a point to jig fish this area once just to learn where the oyster shells were and actually didn't catch a fish that time (b/c it was wrong tide). Today happened to be the day all the conditions lined up for this spot. Now I just need 2 or 3 spots like this for every wind and tide scenario lol.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/DFC57CE1-033A-4DD5-8030-583A9BC7F1ED_zpsvq4xid8n.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/276C5909-C89B-40ED-A8C0-8C83A2CCB8C8_zpsfs3qpf9o.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/C2444E8D-30A0-45B9-9510-529397B2B33A_zpsokwcks5f.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/128F80C9-E97A-49A5-A590-33D2F5A2B308_zpsyhpz7oty.jpg

Uncle Ruckus
05-09-2016, 06:10 AM
That's a good haul man. I can't wait to get back in. The fishing is about to start getting awesome.

BrunswickDawg
05-09-2016, 08:10 AM
That is an awesome day of fishing. That water looks like glass. What are the tide swings in that area?

The biggest challenge to fishing here in general are the huge tide swings we have. A calm, normal day will see a 7-10 difference between low and high depending on where you are. If you have wind, a storm system, moon phases, or heavy inland rains, we can see 12-16 foot swings. It makes running into a hole like the one you describe very tricky - you will get stuck and it happens fast. Makes me wish sometimes I had gone for mountain living and trout streams instead.

BeastMan
05-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Down here it's nothing like that tide wise. 2 feet is about the biggest you'll see. For example the pond I'm talking about was 3 feet at its deepest yesterday. And that's with the tide putting a foot and a half of water and the south wind helping push water in. With a north wind and low tide, forget about it. It may be 10 inches for a quarter mile to get back there.

One of my bucket list fishing trips is a redfish trip on the east coast in Ga or SC fishing that flood tide in the grass. There is nothing down here like that.

SpeckleDawg
05-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Very nice report and even better haul! It was a beautiful weekend on the coast. I see lots of redfish in the cooking threads coming soon.

State82
05-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Top notch BeastMan. Excellent job