PDA

View Full Version : Jared Padgett

ZedFedder
05-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Padgett was a guy that many thought coming into the year could be an immediate impact guy. He has only pitched 2 1/3 innings this year. Will he be able to redshirt? Did we waste this year with him? Or, with our crazy depth in the freshman class, is he looking to leave? I was just wondering if you guys had any knowledge because this is a guy who had offers from FSU, Florida, and USCe. I hope he can stay and develop. This guy could have been a top 5 round pick. Thanks!

smootness
05-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I have no idea if he might leave or not, but I doubt the year will be wasted. He's probably leaving after 3 years if he stays anyway.

Steakonastick
05-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I heard rumors earlier he wanted to transfer. But I saw him with Ford, and Breaux in street clothes at Bama. So I would take him coming to away series is a plus for him staying.

redshirting pitchers is overrated. Unless they are coming off a injury it's almost pointless.

msstate7
05-08-2016, 07:41 PM
redshirting pitchers is overrated. Unless they are coming off a injury it's almost pointless.

Had we RS'd him, we could've held Luke Reynolds. Luke would've been a nice lh ph/dh guy

Hindsight though... Hard to tell which pitchers were gonna separate themselves

Steakonastick
05-08-2016, 07:48 PM
no if we had redshirted him Reynolds still would have not had made the travel roster. Pointless to have a junior with zero position to play.

Homedawg
05-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Had we RS'd him, we could've held Luke Reynolds. Luke would've been a nice lh ph/dh guy

Hindsight though... Hard to tell which pitchers were gonna separate themselves

This is wrong. Padgett is on baseball aid, counts against 35 no matter. Reynolds wasn't. Only 8 non baseball aid spots so the Reynolds for Padgett trade is not applicable.

msstate7
05-08-2016, 07:50 PM
This is wrong. Padgett is on baseball aid, counts against 35 no matter. Reynolds wasn't. Only 8 non baseball aid spots so the Reynolds for Padgett trade is not applicable.

So who did it come down to? Michael smith or Luke?

preachermatt83
05-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Padgett has a ton of talent. I wish we would have used him more.

Steakonastick
05-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Gordon. The only position Reynolds can play at a average level is first. And we all can agree Gordon might be our most important bench player just because his attitude.

Homedawg
05-08-2016, 07:54 PM
So who did it come down to? Michael smith or Luke?

You'd be shocked who is and isn't on baseball aid that are upper classmen. But I honestly can't answer your question. Wish I could.

Harrydawg
05-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Hell, I have been told that Dakota Hudson was not currently on baseball scholly, could that be possible?

msstate7
05-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Hell, I have been told that Dakota Hudson was not currently on baseball scholly, could that be possible?

He hasn't earned it**

Homedawg
05-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Maybe.....

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 08:44 PM
no if we had redshirted him Reynolds still would have not had made the travel roster. Pointless to have a junior with zero position to play.

I'm fairly certain Reynolds could play 2B, and we could sure use him there right about now.

Homedawg
05-08-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm fairly certain Reynolds could play 2B, and we could sure use him there right about now.
First, Reynolds wasn't a good defender to begin with. Not at third and certainly not at second. Also, you are missing the point, we kept 8 guys that weren't on baseball scholarship, he was the one that brought the least to the table, in our coaches eyes to help us. Remember we started the season w less than the full 35 because of zinn. Also, blaylock is being redshirted and he counts against it. In the meantime, we've lost Hughes for the year, Stovall for 4-6 weeks, and Padgett hasn't pitched in 2 months. Managing a college roster is tough.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 09:38 PM
The thing about Padgett is he pitched at a tiny school in Florida. Like Private school A size in Mississippi. He has more of an adjustment than most of our freshmen as a result. I know Padgett was drafted out of high school but I've always felt like Breaux and Small had a higher upside. Pilkington, Keegan James, and Ryan Cyr among others are ahead of him right now. People just need to be patient with our guys when they are freshmen. Jake Mangum is the exception rather than the rule for freshmen. Dakota Hudson is going to be a first round pick in about a month or so. He pitched in six games total as a freshman and he was also fairly highly rated coming out of high school- probably higher than Padgett. Padgett has pitched in four games this year.

He's not pitching because he's not ready yet. Padgett needs to go off and play summer ball this year and then come back in the fall and compete for a spot in the rotation or bullpen- and odds are good he will get one since we are losing Hudson, Sexton, Daniel Brown, Houston, and Humphreys among others.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 09:44 PM

If he has good enough grades it's very possible. Our dream guy would be someone with Hunter Renfroe's talent, Jake Mangum's ability to be an immediate impact guy, and Jeremy Jackson's IQ.

That's why Cohen doesn't tell Genespage who is and isn't a walk-on and why he got pissed at David Murray for continuing to ask about. We try to maximize our roster spots and money- so there is NO reason to attach the "walk-on" stigma to someone because it doesn't really matter in college baseball like it does in college football.

If a guy like Hunter Renfroe had a 4.0 GPA and a 35 on the ACT and could get a full academic scholarship to MSU, why would we give him an athletic scholarship? The only reason we would do that is if it was a case where we had to give him some athletic money to get to the 27 guys on athletic aid limit to be compliant.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 09:49 PM
First, Reynolds wasn't a good defender to begin with. Not at third and certainly not at second. Also, you are missing the point, we kept 8 guys that weren't on baseball scholarship, he was the one that brought the least to the table, in our coaches eyes to help us. Remember we started the season w less than the full 35 because of zinn. Also, blaylock is being redshirted and he counts against it. In the meantime, we've lost Hughes for the year, Stovall for 4-6 weeks, and Padgett hasn't pitched in 2 months. Managing a college roster is tough.

Reynolds also didn't hit very well in the scrimmages this year either. And I don't know who we would bench right now for Reynolds to be in the lineup. Lowe? No. Rooker, Humphreys, or Mangum? No. Kruger? No. And as you said he can't play second base. We would probably try Collins, Cody Brown, or Michael Smith first before that.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-08-2016, 09:57 PM
When is the last time Breaux has pitched? I'm guessing we haven't seen some guys due to not having many midweek games lately.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 10:02 PM
When is the last time Breaux has pitched? I'm guessing we haven't seen some guys due to not having many midweek games lately.

Game three vs. LSU.

It's not having midweek games and also guys in the bullpen being more consistent in general.

ZedFedder
05-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks for input everyone, especially Todd. I had forgotten about Padgett's high school size.