PDA

View Full Version : The way I see it, our main competition for a national seed....

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Are our friendly neighborhood Black Bears.

I say that based mainly on 4 things:
1) The SEC is in position to land as many as 4 national seeds, a historic number. I don't see any way there are more than 4 selected, however.
2) There are 6 potentially elite SEC teams deserving of national seed status most years in UF, USC, Vandy, TAMU, MSU, and OM. So at least two of those teams are going to be left out.
3) Texas A&M, Florida, and South Carolina appear to be locks at this point. Vandy appears to be the odd team out right now that has the most work to do down the stretch.
4) MSU and OM have very similar resumes for the 4th spot, but RIGHT NOW the edge belongs to OM. They have better record, higher RPI, much stronger nonconference SOS, and by the end of the season should have stronger overall SOS when looking at the 6 games left that each team has. They are also tied with us in the standings. All we really have going for us is our 3 out of 4 wins head to head, which is significant. But I don't think that is going to outweigh all of the other items above.

Bottom line is that there is a very strong chance we head into the final weekend still tied with OM for either first or second in the West. We all want to finish ahead of both them and A&M for the division title, but its much more important that we finish ahead of them to position ourselves better for that national seed. So I don't know about yall, but I'm rooting like hell for UGA today, UK next weekend, and A&M the final weekend. Not like anyone here should need another reason to root against OM, but there you go.

Maroons
05-08-2016, 09:57 AM
They are a legit threat, but right now we would get it based on winning 3 against them and our elite road series wins.

C222
05-08-2016, 09:57 AM
After looking at our SEC road record and beating them 3/4, I can't see any way they take OM over us if it came down to us two.

MarketingBully
05-08-2016, 10:03 AM
We are not in competition for Ole Miss for a national seed. They are going for hosting spot no doubt but they are not close to being in contention for a national seed. They don't have nearly the impressive series wins we do such as @UF. @Vandy, and @LSU. They will drop two against A&M and that will be that. We are a lock for a national seed if we don't **** it up by losing a series these last two weeks. I think 4-2 to 5-1 will sew it up. We are a projected 5 seed atm. That isn't even in the ball park of losing it.

drummerdawg
05-08-2016, 10:05 AM
We're not tied with them in the SEC standings. They still have another game today and if they lose we'll stay ahead of them.

Bullsy
05-08-2016, 10:13 AM
If we take care of business the last two weekends:
1. We will have won 9 of our 10 SEC series
2. Won all 5 road SEC series
3. Went 3-1 against OM
4. Series wins at Vandy, FL, & LSU

We are lock for a national seed if we go 4-2 or better the next two weeks

cheewgumm
05-08-2016, 10:19 AM
There is no way Ole Miss U should be ahead of us. Our wins are more impressive and we're ranked higher, and we beat them head to head.

Taog Redloh
05-08-2016, 10:22 AM
They shouldn't be, but yeah, they are. I cannot understand why they keep winning, they aren't that great by my eye. I honestly think it's a case of easy scheduling and gaming the RPI - I don't care the stats, their SOS is NOT better than ours, OOC or SEC. Their SEC schedule is probably the easiest in the conference, and they are playing everyone seemingly at their worst. I think their luck will probably run out in the postseason.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2016, 10:26 AM
We're a consensus Top 3 team. Assuming we take care of business the next two weekends, we're a national seed. Y'all are overthinking the hell out of this.

CJDAWG85
05-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Agree with WMD. It's ours to lose at this point. Just win.

blacklistedbully
05-08-2016, 10:54 AM
No way OM is in our class. You are putting too much emphasis on RPI. Yes. it is a factor, but not the only factor. If you look at last year's RPI for the NS, you'll see that.

Beyond the fact we have taken 3 of 4 from them, our record against RPI Top 50 is 15-11 vs their 10-11. Their RPI advantage over us is mostly due to the, "vs RPI 101-200, where we are 4-0-1 & they are 12-0.

The committee is not going to allow OM vs 101-200 to trump our road wins at UF, Vandy, LSU, & the aforementioned 3 for 4 vs OM, including one at a neutral site.

scottycameron
05-08-2016, 10:54 AM
If we close strong I don't see anyway they could take a spot from us no matter how they close. Could they get a fifth? Possible I guess but I can't see that happening.
If we don't close I agree we could leave the door open for them a little, but that's only because you can't ever tell what metric the committee will lean on this year. They can and will move the goalposts depending on the final outcome they want.

Bully13
05-08-2016, 10:59 AM
I fully expect tsun to get a seed that is less than their record. This will be an indication shot fired from the NCAA'S light artillery as to what will eventually rain down on their out of control corrupt athletic administration. For a program so disrespectful and arrogant as to stoop to the level of cheating on women's sports, there is no reason to believe their baseball team plays by the rules.

I wouldn't worry about the cheaters up north.

Coach34
05-08-2016, 11:03 AM
We control our own destiny- win and we got it. Go 3-3 and we got problems

Bully13
05-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Ha!...Scotty bringing the heat

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 11:56 AM
No way OM is in our class. You are putting too much emphasis on RPI. Yes. it is a factor, but not the only factor. If you look at last year's RPI for the NS, you'll see that.

Beyond the fact we have taken 3 of 4 from them, our record against RPI Top 50 is 15-11 vs their 10-11. Their RPI advantage over us is mostly due to the, "vs RPI 101-200, where we are 4-0-1 & they are 12-0.

The committee is not going to allow OM vs 101-200 to trump our road wins at UF, Vandy, LSU, & the aforementioned 3 for 4 vs OM, including one at a neutral site.

You are correct that RPI is just one factor. Head to head is also just one factor. Lets just list all of them out to show the whole picture:
1) RPI - Advantage OM
2) Record - Advantage OM
3) Head to Head - Advantage MSU
4) SOS - Advantage OM
5) Nonconference SOS - Advantage OM
6) Conference standings - Either advantage MSU or a wash after today
7) Marquee series wins - Advantage MSU

See, even if OM loses today, that is still 4 of 7 key metrics CURRENTLY in their favor. It's not nearly as cut and dry as many of you make it out to be. Even if we finish 5-1, OM could conceivably finish 6-1 if they take 2 of 3 from A&M, and A&M could sweep USC and you have a 3 way tie for first place in the west and 3 teams with 20 wins. And in that scenario, we might not get a national seed even with 20 wins. We need to root against them, period. This isn't a hard concept.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 11:58 AM
We're a consensus Top 3 team. Assuming we take care of business the next two weekends, we're a national seed. Y'all are overthinking the hell out of this.

Consensus top 3 team according to the polls, which the NCAA has proven time and time again that they do not even give two shits about. Polls mean less than nothing in their selection process in any sport.

Coach34
05-08-2016, 12:15 PM
You are correct that RPI is just one factor. Head to head is also just one factor. Lets just list all of them out to show the whole picture:
1) RPI - Advantage OM
2) Record - Advantage OM
3) Head to Head - Advantage MSU
4) SOS - Advantage OM
5) Nonconference SOS - Advantage OM
6) Conference standings - Either advantage MSU or a wash after today
7) Marquee series wins - Advantage MSU

See, even if OM loses today, that is still 4 of 7 key metrics CURRENTLY in their favor. It's not nearly as cut and dry as many of you make it out to be. Even if we finish 5-1, OM could conceivably finish 6-1 if they take 2 of 3 from A&M, and A&M could sweep USC and you have a 3 way tie for first place in the west and 3 teams with 20 wins. And in that scenario, we might not get a national seed even with 20 wins. We need to root against them, period. This isn't a hard concept.

What about top 50 wins? Top 25 wins?

Advantage State

Saltydog
05-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I've been saying the same thing for two weeks, to no avail. People can deny it all they want, they are a legit threat to get a national seed if they continue to win. Should they win today, which I think they win and then end up beating aTm 2/3 they'll have a good case.

Coach34
05-08-2016, 12:17 PM
We will finish ranked higher than them
We will finish ahead of them in the West
We have beaten them 3/4
We have more quality wins

They arent getting anything over us

Coach34
05-08-2016, 12:18 PM
I've been saying the same thing for two weeks, to no avail. People can deny it all they want, they are a legit threat to get a national seed if they continue to win. Should they win today, which I think they win and then end up beating aTm 2/3 they'll have a good case.

dont count on them beating Kentucky- they arent bad. Beat SC yesterday

Steakonastick
05-08-2016, 12:18 PM
If we tie the knod goes to us because we beat them on the field 3 out of 4 times. It's not like their rpi and strength of schedule are 20 points lower then us.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 12:25 PM
What about top 50 wins? Top 25 wins?

Advantage State

Top 50 is currently in our favor, but that could easily change over the next 6-7 games. For instance, right now Alabama is #50 and UK is #53. If those flip around by the end of the year, OM's top 50 win total could see a net gain of a couple of wins and ours could go down by 2. Also, any win they have over A&M adds to their top 50 total, and a win for them today over UGA gives them another Top 50 win. Conversely, all our remaining opponents are so far outside the Top 50 that they have no chance to climb in there. Therefore our current Top 50 record is going to either remain constant or get worse, no matter what. All the more reason we need to root for them to lose.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 12:29 PM
We will finish ranked higher than them
We will finish ahead of them in the West
We have beaten them 3/4
We have more quality wins

They arent getting anything over us

I hope all of that happens, that is why I'm rooting against them (even against A&M). That's all I'm saying.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 12:33 PM
If we tie the knod goes to us because we beat them on the field 3 out of 4 times. It's not like their rpi and strength of schedule are 20 points lower then us.

You're only talking about the nod for Hoover, not the selection process. The NCAA does mot acknowledge conference tiebreaker rules at all when selecting teams. And besides, if it ends up with us, OM, and A&M all tied (which is very possible) then the head to head becomes a wash no matter how you look at it.

Steakonastick
05-08-2016, 12:56 PM
You also forget our rpi and strength of schedule will go up in the sec tourney.

engie
05-08-2016, 01:07 PM
4) SOS - Advantage OM

Look again

MarketingBully
05-08-2016, 01:14 PM
I get the feeling some of these chicken littles are thinking we won't finish strong even though we already played all of our hardest series already this year. Enjoy the last two weeks asshats. We are going to do something we haven't done in a long long time which is get a national seed. Quit coming up with negative bullshit to try to ruin the rest of our fans vibes because you know that when we do get a national seed and Ole Miss only hosts this thread is friggin bookmarked!

smootness
05-08-2016, 01:19 PM

This. There is no national analyst who has them ahead of us right now.

Bully13
05-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I think hsv is the only chicken little asshat in the thread unless I missed somebody else

msbulldog
05-08-2016, 01:24 PM
it seems that Georgia is ending this discussion, up 1-0 B4 bases juiced 1 out

msbulldog
05-08-2016, 01:29 PM
5-0 now still B4 1 out.

AlmostPositive
05-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Winning/losing three out of four should making choosing between otherwise comparable teams very easy.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 01:58 PM
it seems that Georgia is ending this discussion, up 1-0 B4 bases juiced 1 out

Good. Hopefully it continues and UK picks up where they left off next weekend.

BulldogBear
05-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Georgia 10, Ole Miss 0

ETA: Updated score

MarketingBully
05-08-2016, 02:40 PM
I think hsv is the only chicken little asshat in the thread unless I missed somebody else

It's more then HSV. Like I said, Ole Miss is trying for hosting but they have no shot at a national seed.

BulldogBear
05-08-2016, 02:44 PM
UGA leads 13-1

Bullsy
05-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I'll take any bet for any amount if you want to put your money OM getting a national seed over us.

Let me know

BulldogBear
05-08-2016, 03:20 PM
I'll take any bet for any amount if you want to put your money OM getting a national seed over us.

Let me know

Also sounds like we need to page ScoobDawg

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Let me know

I don't think anyone is predicting them to finish with a national seed over us. My honest prediction is they finish 3-3 (win 2 of 3 against UK, and lose 2 of 3 to A&M). If that happens, and we finish 4-2 or better, then we are good. But it's not a foregone conclusion, and they have pretty much the same opportunity to finish strong and get themselves a national seed as we do. The only difference is their final two opponents are much tougher than ours. It's as simple as rooting for us to win 1st, root for OM to lose 2nd, then root for TAMU to lose 3rd. No reason not to root for them to lose as many as possible.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Let me know

With you. All my vCash on us being a national seed over Northern Miss, assuming we take care of bidness.

(Not that it matters now that UGA is beating the holy hell out of them)

blacklistedbully
05-08-2016, 04:36 PM
1) RPI - Advantage OM Small advantage, and the committee will know exactly why, and I suspect discount their place
2) Record - Advantage OM Not record vs ranked opponents. The committee will realize RPI is useful, but not infallible. Advantage MSU
3) Head to Head - Advantage MSU HUGE advantage MSU)
4) SOS - Advantage OM Very minor, if at all. As b4, the committee will not look past our record vs the best teams, and our record on-the-road, and I don't think they will are that much about #275 vs #175.
5) Nonconference SOS - Advantage OM Not so sure, as Oregon has bounced back a bit
6) Conference standings - Either advantage MSU or a wash after today Advantage MSU.Committee will see that OM did not play UF or Vandy, & got swept by SCar. we got swept by TAMU, but have plenty to offset. OM had a home series win vs Louisville, the absolute worst road team in the T25, literally having lost 4 of 5 road series. Plus, we are currently ahead, and OM still has TAMU
7) Marquee series wins - Advantage MSU Big advantage MSU

My corrections in bold above.

We just need to not lay-an-egg. Ole Miss will not surpass us unless they win out and we lose a series. Maybe, maybe if they go 2-1 vs both UK & TAMU & we lose a series, but even then, I'm not so sure. All true Bulldogs pull for an Ole Miss loss no matter the circumstances.

This is not a hard concept.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 08:31 PM
My corrections in bold above.

We just need to not lay-an-egg. Ole Miss will not surpass us unless they win out and we lose a series. Maybe, maybe if they go 2-1 vs both UK & TAMU & we lose a series, but even then, I'm not so sure. All true Bulldogs pull for an Ole Miss loss no matter the circumstances.

This is not a hard concept.

First off, you could not be more wrong on nonconference SOS. OM is at 46 right now and we are at 196. That is a massive advantage their way and that isn't changing with each of us only having one game left. Their overall SOS is going to finish ahead of ours as well even though they are 4 spots back right now. They close with 6 games against top 50 teams and we close with 6 games against teams outside the Top 100. Also, Oregon is 22-19 with an RPI of 88. I wouldn't call that "picking it up". You also claim that the committee isn't going to weigh their wins over teams in the 101-200 range moreso than our wins against the 200-300 teams, but you have absolutely no way of knowing that. You're expecting an organization known for its extraordinary lack of common sense and consistency to exhibit those traits for us.

The whole point of my original post was that going into today, it was a possible toss up between our two resumes. All of us MSU fans could pick and choose things we think the committee should weigh more heavily that gives us the edge (like record vs. Top 50 or head to head), and OM fans could have done the same thing with their team with things like overall record, RPI, SOS, and nonconference SOS. Funny how that works. The point was that it wasn't cut and dry either way, and a nonbiased third party wouldn't have had much argument regardless of which team the NCAA picked if the season ended today and it was just down to those two teams. But then OM lost to UGA and that obviously helped tilt things more in our favor. Regardless, it still helps us for them to drop a few more games in addition to us winning our last 2 series. Like C34 has said numerous times, it doesn't help us if the committee has anything they need to think about with us vs. other teams at the selection table.

And finally I'll say that all true Bulldogs pull for whats best for MSU regardless of the circumstances. In this case that also aligns with OM losing, but thats not always the case.

SDDawg
05-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Correct.

blacklistedbully
05-08-2016, 09:08 PM
First off, you could not be more wrong on nonconference SOS. OM is at 46 right now and we are at 196. That is a massive advantage their way and that isn't changing with each of us only having one game left. Their overall SOS is going to finish ahead of ours as well even though they are 4 spots back right now. They close with 6 games against top 50 teams and we close with 6 games against teams outside the Top 100. Also, Oregon is 22-19 with an RPI of 88. I wouldn't call that "picking it up". You also claim that the committee isn't going to weigh their wins over teams in the 101-200 range moreso than our wins against the 200-300 teams, but you have absolutely no way of knowing that. You're expecting an organization known for its extraordinary lack of common sense and consistency to exhibit those traits for us.

The whole point of my original post was that going into today, it was a possible toss up between our two resumes. All of us MSU fans could pick and choose things we think the committee should weigh more heavily that gives us the edge (like record vs. Top 50 or head to head), and OM fans could have done the same thing with their team with things like overall record, RPI, SOS, and nonconference SOS. Funny how that works. The point was that it wasn't cut and dry either way, and a nonbiased third party wouldn't have had much argument regardless of which team the NCAA picked if the season ended today and it was just down to those two teams. But then OM lost to UGA and that obviously helped tilt things more in our favor. Regardless, it still helps us for them to drop a few more games in addition to us winning our last 2 series. Like C34 has said numerous times, it doesn't help us if the committee has anything they need to think about with us vs. other teams at the selection table.

And finally I'll say that all true Bulldogs pull for whats best for MSU regardless of the circumstances. In this case that also aligns with OM losing, but thats not always the case.

You are over-thinking things, IMO. Of course the committee has waffled a bit on how they weight things. But we are in a somewhat unique situation with our road series wins vs:

UF
Vandy
LSU

And our home series +1 neutral vs OM.

OM could win their remaining series yet still not match that. And no matter what they do, they will be facing 1-3 vs us this year. Last year a #12 RPI got a NS, and they didn't have quite what we've got going for us either.

Look at last year, when RPI #11 Illinois & #12 Louisville got in, while #4 Vandy & #5 aTm did not. Vandy's SOS rank was #2, while Illinois' was # 112. The point being, the committee is obviously not married to RPI or SOS. They are factors, but they don't preclude the committee from making judgement calls.

We'd be going in with one of the strongest cases ever for a, "judgement call" if it came down to us or OM.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 09:59 PM

When you have National experts from D1Baseball, Baseball America, and ESPN ALL saying we are a National Seed at this point and ALL are saying Ole Miss isn't- that says a lot to me.

The committee is inconsistent, but one thing that they are pretty consistent about is head to head and conference W/L record. We have both of those advantages over Ole Miss.

I'm pretty sure our fans value RPI a LOT more than the committee does. The reality is the committee sees it for what it is. They look at ALL of the factors. I mean, if it was simply all about numbers from Warren Nolan, all they wouldn't even meet as a committee.

Congrats to Ole Miss on guessing right and scheduling SEMO State and Louisville who has proven to be awful on the road.

HSVDawg
05-08-2016, 11:49 PM
When you have National experts from D1Baseball, Baseball America, and ESPN ALL saying we are a National Seed at this point and ALL are saying Ole Miss isn't- that says a lot to me.

The committee is inconsistent, but one thing that they are pretty consistent about is head to head and conference W/L record. We have both of those advantages over Ole Miss.

I'm pretty sure our fans value RPI a LOT more than the committee does. The reality is the committee sees it for what it is. They look at ALL of the factors. I mean, if it was simply all about numbers from Warren Nolan, all they wouldn't even meet as a committee.

Congrats to Ole Miss on guessing right and scheduling SEMO State and Louisville who has proven to be awful on the road.

I think this issue has gotten over complicated, so I'm just going to break it down to its simplest form. If Ole Miss wins out to finish 43-13, 20-10 in the SEC, and with a Top 5 RPI (all of that before the SEC tournament where they can further pad their resume), would they be a national seed regardless of what we do? I think the answer to that question is absolutely. So, we need them to lose a few games. I think they will lose a few more games. So do all the national experts you mentioned, which is why they don't predict them to be a national seed. So do the vast majority of other posters on the board here. But until that actually happens, they are still in the hunt right there with us because they are currently well positioned within all the metrics that the committee typically looks at. Thats the last thing I'll say about it.

AlmostPositive
05-09-2016, 02:03 AM
I think this issue has gotten over complicated, so I'm just going to break it down to its simplest form. If Ole Miss wins out to finish 43-13, 20-10 in the SEC, and with a Top 5 RPI (all of that before the SEC tournament where they can further pad their resume), would they be a national seed regardless of what we do? I think the answer to that question is absolutely. So, we need them to lose a few games. I think they will lose a few more games. So do all the national experts you mentioned, which is why they don't predict them to be a national seed. So do the vast majority of other posters on the board here. But until that actually happens, they are still in the hunt right there with us because they are currently well positioned within all the metrics that the committee typically looks at. Thats the last thing I'll say about it.

This might be a little more compelling if you weren't posting it on a day when Ole Miss got blasted 13 - 2 by a lower tier SEC team. Ole Miss isn't winning out, and everyone knows it... much better chance of them losing out and not hosting.

RocketCityDawg
05-09-2016, 10:08 AM

Promise?

Political Hack
05-09-2016, 10:14 AM
If the selection committee takes a team with a slightly better RPI over us despite a 3-1 head to head record, they need their heads removed from their rectums.

Cohenz boyz will be a national seed barring a collapse.

Jack Lambert
05-09-2016, 10:18 AM
I think we are our own threat. If we win Troy and our last two series we are a national seed. We control our own destining. We are a lock for a host site.

MarketingBully
05-09-2016, 10:33 AM

Well if you are putting it that way, let's say we win out and win the west. We get a national seed regardless of what they do and the odd man out is A&M since you are saying they would be swept by Ole Miss. Two can play at this rediculous game you are playing.

AlmostPositive
05-09-2016, 10:44 AM
We are not in danger...we ARE the danger.

blacklistedbully
05-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Well if you are putting it that way, let's say we win out and win the west. We get a national seed regardless of what they do and the odd man out is A&M since you are saying they would be swept by Ole Miss. Two can play at this rediculous game you are playing.

Exactly! HVS, where you went wrong here isn't by saying UNM could earn a NS if they won out, it was saying Miss State is in danger of being supplanted, regardless of what we do. If we win our mid-week game and take the 2 remaining series, OM getting a NS would either mean a 5th SEC bid or taking one from aTm, a team that UNM would probably have to sweep.

Consider that our actual RPI # will be very close, and we'll have this going for us:

MSU 10-9 vs current NCAA T25
UNM 6-9 (9-9 if they sweep aTm)

MSU Road Series record vs T25 - 3-0
UNM - 0-1 (1-1 if they take aTm)

MSU Home Series record vs T25 - 1-1
UNM - 2-1

MSU Series record vs T25 - 4-1
UNM Series record vs T25 - 2-2 (3-2 if they take aTm)

Now let's take a look at record vs 5/9 NCAA RPI rankings:

Top 10 RPI
MSU 7-6
UNM 2-4 (If they swept aTm, 5-4)

T25 RPI
MSU 10-7
UNM 7-9 (10-9 if they swept aTm)

T50 RPI
MSU 13-10
UNM 9-10 (12-10 if they sweep both UK and aTm)

Even as the committee considers RPI, you know they're going to put more emphasis on how NS candidates fared against the higher RPI teams. Even if UNM wins the rest of their games, they won't be able to match our record vs T25 & T50 RPI, and they'd barely have a better record vs T10 (.56 vs .54).

And if we beat Troy, then win the series vs Auburn & UPig, we will not fall in-the-polls, giving them no help vs us.

And at the end, if it is even close, the committee will see MSU holding a 3-1 head-to-head advantage.

ScoobaDawg
05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
The Bears aren't who we need to be worried about. Tx Tech and NC State (huge series vs Louisville this weekend) are the two I would be watching besides the Mess of possibilities of US, TAMU, USC, and UF.