PDA

View Full Version : Hell of a weekend for the Diamond Dawgs...

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Damn good job by Cohen and the boys to finally finish off a sweep. Didn't get to watch and only managed to listen to a couple of innings today. Heard that Hump, Grid, and Kruger combined on a helluva play to cut down a runner at the plate that was a big turning point in the game.

A quick look at the box score tells me Pilk had a good day. But why did we pull him after 4 and just 74 pitches thrown? Seems like he could've given us 1-2 more innings. Regardless, nice to see we've found a somewhat reliable third starter. DB looks like he had a really good day and may have finally flipped the switch.

Mangum just 1-5 on the day. What's wrong with him?****** Nate Lowe is en fuego right now.

Why is Robson batting 5th and Hump 7th? Even if it works, that's not good lineup construction. We're negating Robson's biggest asset in the 5 hole - his speed. Our arguably slowest runner in Collins is clogging the bases in front of him. Plus he's a slap hitter, not an RBI producer. We either need to put him back at 1 or 2 or hit him 9 where he can function as an extra leadoff hitter and turn the lineup over. Just my .02, though.

Regardless, it feels damn good to finally get that elusive sweep. Need to keep it up next weekend against Butch's Auburn crew. I'm guessing he'll have them a little extra motivated to play against us. Plus there's the target you expect from being a Top 3 team. We better bring our A game.

Taog Redloh
05-07-2016, 10:36 PM
So you finally admit you do not watch the games, instead you react emotionally to the box score? Makes perfect sense.

jbjones
05-07-2016, 10:37 PM
A quick look at the box score tells me Pilk had a good day. But why did we pull him after 4 and just 74 pitches thrown? Seems like he could've given us 1-2 more innings.

He possibly could have gone on, but if I remember correctly he got into some trouble...maybe a single and a walk, or something like that. I seem to remember there were 2 on with no outs, and that's when he was pulled. He's done a good job, though. Getting better, and I'm looking forward to it.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2016, 10:39 PM
So you finally admit you do not watch the games, instead you react emotionally to the box score? Makes perfect sense.

I had other things going on. Ya know, actually living life. Watched every pitch the last 2 nights. Why can't I ask some legit questions to get info? I'd tell you to stop being a douchenozzle, but that's your default setting and you don't have an off switch.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2016, 10:42 PM
He possibly could have gone on, but if I remember correctly he got into some trouble...maybe a single and a walk, or something like that. I seem to remember there were 2 on with no outs, and that's when he was pulled. He's done a good job, though. Getting better, and I'm looking forward to it.

Ah, someone who gets it. Thanks for the info. If we sent him back out and he was starting to struggle, then I have no problem giving him the hook. He's probably still building stamina at this level and might not be ready to throw 100+ pitches yet. Still need to keep trying to stretch him out, though.

Outside of that Alabama cluster**** last Saturday, hard to argue with the way Wes has managed our staff so far. You could quibble with giving Tatum so many chances or something like that, but for the most part he's done a helluva job.

jbjones
05-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Now that I'm worrying about it, I'm pretty sure the 1st run Mizzu scored was charged to Pilk.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Now that I'm worrying about it, I'm pretty sure the 1st run Mizzu scored was charged to Pilk.

Yeah, box score said he had 1 earned in 4 IP. Either way, I thought it looked like he'd had a good day. Figured he probably ran out of gas and probably got into a little bit of a jam. Regardless, nice to have a guy who's giving us 3-4 solid innings on "Sunday" as opposed to the shit show earlier in the season. Pilkington's emergence has really strengthened this team. Definitely makes me feel better about regional play, as long as we can stay in the winners' bracket.

RocketDawg
05-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I was only halfway watching at that point, but I think he was getting in some trouble. Good time to take him out. I couldn't understand why they took Brown out, but that worked out just fine ... 3 strikeouts in the 9th. I guess Cohen/Johnson know what they're doing.

RocketDawg
05-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Yeah, box score said he had 1 earned in 4 IP. Either way, I thought it looked like he'd had a good day. Figured he probably ran out of gas and probably got into a little bit of a jam. Regardless, nice to have a guy who's giving us 3-4 solid innings on "Sunday" as opposed to the shit show earlier in the season. Pilkington's emergence has really strengthened this team. Definitely makes me feel better about regional play, as long as we can stay in the winners' bracket.

He might've been left in but we couldn't score. I don't know how many runners we left on base, but it was a bunch. Got lots of hits but could't get them around. LSU is doing the same thing tonight, but worse. But they're losing the game (but have the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 9th).

the59dawg
05-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Damn good job by Cohen and the boys to finally finish off a sweep. Didn't get to watch and only managed to listen to a couple of innings today. Heard that Hump, Grid, and Kruger combined on a helluva play to cut down a runner at the plate that was a big turning point in the game.

A quick look at the box score tells me Pilk had a good day. But why did we pull him after 4 and just 74 pitches thrown? Seems like he could've given us 1-2 more innings. Regardless, nice to see we've found a somewhat reliable third starter. DB looks like he had a really good day and may have finally flipped the switch.

Mangum just 1-5 on the day. What's wrong with him?****** Nate Lowe is en fuego right now.

Why is Robson batting 5th and Hump 7th? Even if it works, that's not good lineup construction. We're negating Robson's biggest asset in the 5 hole - his speed. Our arguably slowest runner in Collins is clogging the bases in front of him. Plus he's a slap hitter, not an RBI producer. We either need to put him back at 1 or 2 or hit him 9 where he can function as an extra leadoff hitter and turn the lineup over. Just my .02, though.

Regardless, it feels damn good to finally get that elusive sweep. Need to keep it up next weekend against Butch's Auburn crew. I'm guessing he'll have them a little extra motivated to play against us. Plus there's the target you expect from being a Top 3 team. We better bring our A game.

Robson was batting 2nd behind Mangum today. Rooker 3rd, Hump was cleanup, then Gavin. Weren't getting the two out hits today except for the one by Hump for run #3. Heck we had 8 hits 1st 4 innings and couldn't get them in. We had 2 on with 2 out the first 4 or 5 innings and only scored 2.

CadaverDawg
05-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Robson was batting 2nd behind Mangum today. Rooker 3rd, Hump was cleanup, then Gavin. Weren't getting the two out hits today except for the one by Hump for run #3. Heck we had 8 hits 1st 4 innings and couldn't get them in. We had 2 on with 2 out the first 4 or 5 innings and only scored 2.

Nope, Robson batted 5th today. Kruger was 2nd. Robson batted in front of Rooker & Hump for some Cohening reason

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 12:07 AM

It should have been unearned because all Holland had to do was flip it to second and we get out of that unscathed.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Pilkington and Daniel Brown. 1.29 ERA since moving to the bullpen by my math. Humphreys has an ERA of 0.00 since his first outing against LSU.

Todd4State
05-08-2016, 12:15 AM
He might've been left in but we couldn't score. I don't know how many runners we left on base, but it was a bunch. Got lots of hits but could't get them around. LSU is doing the same thing tonight, but worse. But they're losing the game (but have the bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 9th).

I think some of that was because of Robson being down in the lineup and not being locked in. I think it's time to move him up to leadoff or 9th.

maroonmania
05-08-2016, 07:39 AM
We didn't give up any earned runs today because the one run Mizzou scored was on a 2 out error by Holland.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2016, 10:15 AM
We didn't give up any earned runs today because the one run Mizzou scored was on a 2 out error by Holland.

That's not what the box score says. You can claim it should have been an E and I'll believe you, but the official ruling was an earned run.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Pilkington and Daniel Brown. 1.29 ERA since moving to the bullpen by my math. Humphreys has an ERA of 0.00 since his first outing against LSU.

I didn't mention DB because we were discussing starting pitching in general and Pilkington specifically. But yes, DB stepping up has been just as huge for us. Like engie said about Sexton on Friday night, you can see the difference in DB mentally now. He's not coming in hoping to get guys out anymore; he expects to get them out. It's subtle, but it's a very important difference.

drunkernhelldawg
05-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Everything I've seen says the run is unearned. Maybe the box score is wrong on that point, or maybe everybody else is wrong.

Not surprising that we struggled at the plate this weekend. Far from easy to perform day after day. Got our work cut out for us to keep it going for two more weeks plus through the postseason. Excited to be in position for a chance. Hope we're tough enough and lucky enough to reap the rewards.

dawgoneyall
05-08-2016, 11:55 AM
That's not what the box score says. You can claim it should have been an E and I'll believe you, but the official ruling was an earned run.

Can't anticipate a double play. Fielder's choice.

smootness
05-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Robson was batting 2nd behind Mangum today. Rooker 3rd, Hump was cleanup, then Gavin.

What....the....

Robson batted 5th, Rooker 6th, Humphreys 7th...and Collins 4th. But close.

RocketCityDawg
05-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Can't anticipate a double play. Fielder's choice.

The box score at HailState.com says it was unearned. It wasn't assuming a double play. There were already 2 outs. Holland dropped it and didn't get anybody out.