PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Cheap Bourbon and Rye

SapperDawg
05-06-2016, 05:06 PM
My local booze store is owned and managed by one hellova nice guy that knows every wine and spirit in the place. He talked me into picking up a $15 bottle of seven year old bourbon a few weeks ago. Who can't spend $15, right? I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Virgin Bourbon, has an earthy smell in the glass, which I suspect is a product of the charcoal filtering. I was very disappointed in this bottle over the first few weeks. Nothing much to like. This one has really improved with some oxidation in the bottle. It has a higher rye content, which I like, and an easy burn on the backside. This drinks fine neat, but I am going to experiment with vatting it soon.

I have really expanded my rye collection over last year, and have eight in my collection right now. The Pikesville rye was an impulse buy after reading a review recently. It is the older brother (six years old) of Rittenhouse (four years) which I like very much. I paid $58 for this at the AL ABC store, and it is 100% worth it. One thing I really like in a whiskey is a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. This mostly comes out in the older bottles, but this one has it in spades. Lots of flavor and at 110 proof, a good burn on the backside.

I can see where the Pikesville will hold up well in a cocktail, but neat or on the rocks is where I like it best.

Recommendations:

Virgin Bourbon - tailgating, deer camp, party.

Pikesville should be an addition to your cabinet.

Hail State!

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/1B053879-5E88-4411-8234-602ACB455F0C_zpszbtu4mkk.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/1B053879-5E88-4411-8234-602ACB455F0C_zpszbtu4mkk.jpg.html)

State82
05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Hey SapperDawg, what do you know about this new one I've been seeing advertised on some of the outdoor tv programming lately. Tin Cup Whiskey? Don't know anything about it but the ad campaign is pretty cool.

SapperDawg
05-06-2016, 10:36 PM
I have purposely steered away from Tin Cup due to false advertising on their part. Claiming to be from CO, they source all their whiskey from Indiana. While they do cut it with Rocky Mountain water in CO, it is not made there.

False labeling and backstorys are a big deal in the bourbon community right now, and the reviews this one has recieved are not very good.

Of all the "western" whiskeys I have had, High West is only one I would reccomend. Breckenridge is generally highly rated, but I thought it was a bad pour.....got a bottle sitting hoping it gets better with time.

State82
05-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Wow. Had no idea about that. Very interesting.

SpeckleDawg
05-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Keep these threads up. Solid info!

BeardoMSU
05-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Ancient Ancient Age is a pretty good bourbon for ca. $13.

SapperDawg
05-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Ancient Ancient Age is a pretty good bourbon for ca. $13.

Yes it is, discovered AAA and its sister Ancient Age in KY a few years ago when I was on my "drinking off the bottom shelf" kick. Let's do a side by side:

AAA: No age statement, but is supposed to be about 6 years old, and it is the Buffalo Trace high rye mashbill (12-15% rye).
VB: Age stated as 7 years old, is made by Heaven Hill, and is about 13% rye in the mash.

Nose: VB has more nose, and is earthy. AAA is more fruity and less pronounced.
Mouthfeel: VB is significantly more viscus, while AAA is much lighter on the tongue.
Burn: VB has significantly more after burn (it is 101 proof vs 80 proof for AA).
Cocktail use: no doubt you have to go with VB due to the higher proof.
Easy sipping: AAA wins.

I enjoy both of these, and you can tell there is an age difference between the two. Much more character in the VB.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/9B983AF6-D14F-4A34-8DE7-EBD2BF1E5969_zpsl8zdhson.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/9B983AF6-D14F-4A34-8DE7-EBD2BF1E5969_zpsl8zdhson.jpg.html)

BeastMan
05-12-2016, 07:13 AM
These are great. Keep em up

BeardoMSU
05-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Sapper, probably a dumb question, but have you had W.L. Weller yet? It's a wheated bourbon made by Buffalo Trace, and basically the "poor man's" Pappy. Pretty awesome stuff for under $20.

SapperDawg
05-13-2016, 06:32 AM
Roger that. I have tried Pappy, Weller 12, these, and the Poor Man's Pappy. My take aways:

1. Weller SR and Antique are no Pappy.
2. Poor Mans Pappy is not a close approximation.
3. Weller 12 is good stuff if you can ever find it - not worth the after market prices.
4. Larceny is the best budget wheated bourbon on the market.

I will do a better review of these tonight.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/868EF918-2D2F-48EC-8E2D-036D4AA5518B_zpswtn9w8ve.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/868EF918-2D2F-48EC-8E2D-036D4AA5518B_zpswtn9w8ve.jpg.html)

SapperDawg
05-13-2016, 08:45 PM
The Weller story and review.

Pappy Van Winkle is the most sought after bourbon on the market. The 23 yo version is the only one I have not had, and is the only one that remains from the famous Stitzel Weller distillery. The Pappy brand was purchased by Buffalo Trace years ago, along with the SW juice, and has been on the market ever since. Pappy is a wheated bourbon, and BT has their own wheated recipie....W.L. Weller.

As the SW juice ran out, the younger Van Winkle vintages were filled with the BT wheated juice. As the word spread, W.L Weler 12 year old went from a $24 readily available purchase to non available and hundreds of $$ on the aftermarket. Part of this was the "poor man's pappy" recipe that has floated around the web for years. It is a mix of Weller 12 and Weller Antique to approximate the Pappy 10 year or Van Winkle Lot B mix---NOT PAPPY 23, 20, 15 OR 12.

This pretty much put a run on all Weller products that has continued to this day. All (Weller 12, Anitquie and Special Reserve) are sub $30 bottles. Matter of fact, the only one I would come close to $30 on is 12, the others are low 20's or high teens.

Weller SR (90 proof) and Antique (107 proof) are young, mass market wheated bourbons. I think the SR is much more drinkable than the Antique, as it just burns of alchohol and youth. I find neither especially flavorful. I got caught up in the everything Buffalo Trace and Weller in my early bourbon discovery days. It was a learning process, and please learn from my experiences. Try these in a bar. Do not purchase thinking you are getting something close to Van Winkle.

If you want to have something you enjoy drinking, get Larceny at $25 a bottle. It is a much more complex wheated bourbon, and is very smooth at 92 proof. They don't sell it here, so I buy it by the case in TN.