PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Board: Surround Sound

BeardoMSU
05-05-2016, 10:17 PM
I would have posted this in the OT forum, but only like 12 of us check that with frequency.

Does anyone have a surround sound receiver they'd be interested in selling me? Our apt. was struct by lightning the other night during the storm, frying my xbox1, directv box, internet router, and surround sound. I can take care of the other things, but I'm having trouble finding a used receiver to plug my speakers into.

It was a Sony 5.1 system, but any brand that can handle 5.1 will suffice. PM me if you want to do some bid'ness. I'm in Starkville, btw.

Thanks guys.

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Damn, Beardo. Hate to hear that. Lightning strikes suck. It's certainly not foolproof, but you might want to invest in a good surge protector after this.

Dawgowar
05-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I would have posted this in the OT forum, but only like 12 of us check that with frequency.

Does anyone have a surround sound receiver they'd be interested in selling me? Our apt. was struct by lightning the other night during the storm, frying my xbox1, directv box, internet router, and surround sound. I can take care of the other things, but I'm having trouble finding a used receiver to plug my speakers into.

It was a Sony 5.1 system, but any brand that can handle 5.1 will suffice. PM me if you want to do some bid'ness. I'm in Starkville, btw.

Thanks guys.

I had two Sony systems I bought at the outlet mall. When the receivers croaked I went on Amazon, searched 5.1 receiver and got an Onkyo for around $150. Had Bluetooth, wifi, answered the mail. Just checked and there appears to be plenty of range in price and brands.

BeardoMSU
05-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Damn, Beardo. Hate to hear that. Lightning strikes suck. It's certainly not foolproof, but you might want to invest in a good surge protector after this.

Thanks, WMD. Yeah, no kidding, lol. It was all plugged into a surge protector, but apparently that didn't matter. It was weird...only my entertainment system stuff was affected, my desktop was fine, as was all our other electronics.

BeardoMSU
05-05-2016, 10:46 PM
I had two Sony systems I bought at the outlet mall. When the receivers croaked I went on Amazon, searched 5.1 receiver and got an Onkyo for around $150. Had Bluetooth, wifi, answered the mail. Just checked and there appears to be plenty of range in price and brands.

Yeah, I looked at amazon and ebay. Is that a normal price for just a receiver, though? I think I paid like 200 for the whole system, new. Seems high to pay so much for just the receiver.

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks, WMD. Yeah, no kidding, lol. It was all plugged into a surge protector, but apparently that didn't matter. It was weird...only my entertainment system stuff was affected, my desktop was fine, as was all our other electronics.

Damn, that sucks worse. Like I said, not foolproof....mighta saved your other stuff, though.

Dawgowar
05-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I looked at amazon and ebay. Is that a normal price for just a receiver, though? I think I paid like 200 for the whole system, new. Seems high to pay so much for just the receiver.

Another option, Google Sony Outlet Mall Stores. We have one near my place in Texas. I have seen entire systems in there for less than $100. And yes those are normal ranges

engie
05-05-2016, 10:51 PM
I'd check with the surge protector supplier... A lot of them guarantee/cover such happenings.

I thought it ridiculous when I was instituting u-verse that everything we installed(commercially) only covered 80% of lightning strikes. That included trunk fibers responsible for thousands of att customers. The worst case scenario is apparently just financially unfeasible to account for.

Residential ground wires are generally good for 40ish% of lightning strikes. Prettymuch worthless in the scheme of things(or otherwise not notable because no one realizes when these things actually work how they are supposed to).

Have always considered starting another business "lightning proofing" homes. At least to meet commercial standards. The only issue is the sales pitch -- as previously stated. And the "warranty" to be a legitimate company. Lightning is so diverse that it has always scared me away from trying to capitalize on it.

engie
05-05-2016, 10:58 PM
You've always seemed like a sharp dude. Download the repair manual for the receiver. May take a little work but you can find it. Once you do, figure out the repair. The beauty of a circuit hit by a pulse is that it generally destroys in a single spot. Everyone with that receiver that has ever been hit by lightning will see the same failure most likely, and there is probably a pretty exact blueprint for the repair online. Usually, this stuff turns out to be a $5 and 2 solder trip to radio shack to have it good as new. I've run a couple side businesses in the past doing such things that generally do extremely well for a short period of time before the markets reach saturation. Wore out a car when the 3G iphones came out and no one in the jackson area would repair screens. Once there was competition, it was no longer worth it.

DancingRabbit
05-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Several used ones of this model under $100 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DAVTZ140-Home-Theater-System/dp/B007K5H4Z2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462536615&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+Surround+Sound