PDA

View Full Version : Drew Bianco to LSU...

engie
05-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Interesting

msstate7
05-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Son as a player?

Political Hack
05-04-2016, 09:14 AM
That's crazy to me. Would love to have heard those conversations.

HSVDawg
05-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Interesting

For baseball or football? I remember watching him in the Oxford vs. SHS football game (he was a RB) and was actually pretty impressed with him. Hard runner between the tackles. He'd probably project more as a LB though in the SEC. He's a hell of a lot bigger than his dad too.

ETA: Just saw it was for baseball.

Thrill1
05-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Bianco said on radio last week that he wanted no part in coaching Drew. Very interesting, but I'll give him credit for letting the kid make his own decision.

DancingRabbit
05-04-2016, 09:23 AM
To their main rival? Ouch!

Jack Lambert
05-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I think it is a good move for both. Then again the entire Ole Miss Athletic department might get punished and he is looking after his son.

Mjoelner34
05-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I think they talked about this during the Starkville/Oxford game last fall that they didn't know where he was going but it wasn't going to be Ole Miss.

Johnson85
05-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Bianco said on radio last week that he wanted no part in coaching Drew. Very interesting, but I'll give him credit for letting the kid make his own decision.

I think that's smart of both of them. Having a son on the team introduces a lot of complications. It can strain the relationship between the father and son, and also introduces a different dynamic between teammates. Every decision regarding the son is open to second guessing regarding favoritism. I'm sure it works for plenty and does offer the huge reward of getting to coach/play together, but it's risky.

And baseball is probably the last sport I would want to do it in. In basketball and football, much more is dictated by athleticism and outside of QB, the second guessing over personnel decisions isn't nearly as prevalent. In baseball, it seems much less obvious how playing time should be allotted and plenty of players with an abundance of natural ability can't put it together for some reason. It's hard enough to determine how long to stick with a physically gifted player waiting for him to put it together without introducing the second guessing on favoritism.

Mjoelner34
05-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I think that's smart of both of them. Having a son on the team introduces a lot of complications. It can strain the relationship between the father and son, and also introduces a different dynamic between teammates. Every decision regarding the son is open to second guessing regarding favoritism. I'm sure it works for plenty and does offer the huge reward of getting to coach/play together, but it's risky.

And baseball is probably the last sport I would want to do it in. In basketball and football, much more is dictated by athleticism and outside of QB, the second guessing over personnel decisions isn't nearly as prevalent. In baseball, it seems much less obvious how playing time should be allotted and plenty of players with an abundance of natural ability can't put it together for some reason. It's hard enough to determine how long to stick with a physically gifted player waiting for him to put it together without introducing the second guessing on favoritism.

Doing this led to a great quote in basketball one time. It was Bobby Knight, whom I was never fond of. His kid was playing for him and pretty much single-handedly lost the game to which Knight said in the press conference afterwards: "I now know why some species eat their young."

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
well his dad played there so....

msstate7
05-04-2016, 09:42 AM
This could lead to some interesting situations...

Bianco up to bat. His dad probably knows his weaknesses more than anyone, so he could exploit them... Against his son. That would be tough

Lil bianco gets a huge double vs om... How do you not gleam with pride?

louisvilledawg
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Yeah i was just thinking what if one day he beats OM on a walk off homer to go to omaha or something haha. Mike would be happy and sad

shoeless joe
05-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Oxford is stacked with talent this year so I guess drew got lost in the shuffle but I never saw him as a D1 guy rite now...of course he's awful young.

Ben on the other hand could mash. Hated to see him get hurt.

BiscuitEater
05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Very interesting, but I'll give him credit for letting the kid make his own decision.

Actually, Coach Bianco made that decision 15 years ago. He didn't want any part of the OM fiasco that he replaced ..

OM baseball coach Pat Harrison, whose son, J.T. was an infielder at Ole Miss and split time with Ole Miss athletics legacy Chris Lotterhos, who hit 62 points higher than Harrison during the 1997 season. The two had identical fielding numbers, and Lottheros appeared in one more game.

Following the year, Lotterhos transferred to Mississippi State and was a starter for the Bulldogs’ College World Series team. Harrison hit .139 and .194 his following two seasons in Oxford. OM baseball fans revolted .. Harrison was fired & Bianco was hired. Lesson learned.

BiscuitEater
05-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Oxford is stacked with talent this year so I guess drew got lost in the shuffle but I never saw him as a D1 guy rite now...of course he's awful young.

Agree, he is a class of '18 BUT is already listed in top 100 (2018 class), as a 6-foot, 190 lbs. shortstop by Perfect Game.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2016, 11:51 AM
I wonder if OM fans would be so understanding if Bianco was the football coach & he had a top 100 player as a son. If he committed to LSU would they be so supportive of his decision.

starkvegasdawg
05-04-2016, 11:54 AM
I wonder if OM fans would be so understanding if Bianco was the football coach & he had a top 100 player as a son. If he committed to LSU would they be so supportive of his decision.

Peyton Manning says no and his dad wasn't even coach.

MedDawg
05-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Yeah i was just thinking what if one day he beats OM on a walk off homer to go to omaha or something haha. Mike would be happy and sad

in the bottom of the 6th for UNO against State in a regional to beat us and go to the CWS. Stuart Weidie, Dad is Wayne Weidie. http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/05/28/Stuart-Weidies-grand-slam-led-the-University-of-New/4744454564800/

In 1984 State went 45-16, 18-5 in the SEC. Rafael Palmeiro hit 29 HRs and won the SEC Triple Crown.

bulldogcountry1
05-04-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm just trying to picture the recruiting in-home visit with Maneiri and Bianco.

Bigedawg
05-04-2016, 01:06 PM
I just can't believe he is already a foot taller than his Dad. Oompa Loompa.

Thrill1
05-04-2016, 01:11 PM
in the bottom of the 6th for UNO against State in a regional to beat us and go to the CWS. Stuart Weidie, Dad is Wayne Weidie. http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/05/28/Stuart-Weidies-grand-slam-led-the-University-of-New/4744454564800/

Never knew that. Young Stuart must not have attended camp.*

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-04-2016, 01:20 PM
That's crazy to me. Would love to have heard those conversations.

Coach Bianco to LSU??????????????******************

mic
05-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Coach Bianco to LSU??????????????******************

You might can just leave it at
Coach Bianco to LSU ?

Political Hack
05-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Dad first. Profession second. Do what's best for your kid.

It actually gives me a new respect for him that he had the guts to do what's best for his kid rather than bring a top 100 player (who happens to be a stud SS) to Oxford.

BB30
05-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Kid can play and with baseball it was a smart decision. A lot more negatives than positives can come from playing for your dad.

Todd4State
05-04-2016, 06:33 PM
You might can just leave it at
Coach Bianco to LSU ?

I wouldn't be shocked if they come after Bianco whenever Manieri leaves.