PDA

View Full Version : Polk and Cohen: match made in...

bulldogcountry1
05-04-2016, 08:43 AM
A friend and I were discussing this past weekend yesterday, mainly the coaching meltdown that was game 2. He mentioned that Cohen should have kept himself busy reading the media guide in the dugout, as opposed to meddling. This was in reference to the 2007 CWS when Polk was shown on camera reading the media guide while we were getting hammered in the elimination game. It got me thinking.

Are these two guy polar opposites in every way? Polk will always be remembered for his persistent craziness off the field, yet he was very predictable and passive during the games. He wasted so much time fighting the NCAA, typing letters, and whining about things he couldn't change during the down time. As for during the games, he was essentially textbook and loyal to his players, even to a fault. He liked to let players work through their struggles. Then there is Cohen who appears to be quite level-headed and focused off the field but tends to go off the reservation in the games. I don't think anyone will vote Cohen "Mr. Personality", but he seems basically normal off the field. At the very least, he is focused on his job and is motivated. Then, you look at his track record and you could make a long list of things he does during the games that no other coach at the D1 or professional level level would ever agree with.

It's amusing to think about these two guys working together. I'd like to imagine that Polk could offer a sanity check to Cohen in the dugout and Cohen could do the same for Polk otherwise. I suppose those questions have long been answered and we would just end up with non-stop frustration and embarrassment. I think the only thing they have in common is a very hard head.