PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
05-04-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm feeling much better about the future. Here's what some of our young guys are doing lately...

Wisler (last 3 starts -- LAD, BoSox, NYM)...

19.2 ip 9 h 5 er 7 bb 13 k 2.34 era (all 5 er vs BoSox)

Teheran (last 3 starts -- LAD, BoSox, ChC)...

19.1 14 h 3 er 4 bb 20 k 1.41 era

Blair (2nd mlb start vs ChC)...

6.0 ip 2 h 1 er 3 bb 3 k

Viz (year stats)...

10.1 ip 16 k 0.87 era

Shae Simmons will be back before long.

This staff is rounding into form with young guys leading the way.

Mallex smith (last 7 games)...

.381/.409/.667

Small sample, but mallex has taken about a month to adjust at every stop and seems to be doing the same at mlb level. His defense is much better than expected.

FF (last 15)...

.333/.394/.517

I was genuinely worried about FF's wrist, but he seems to be fine.

Inciarte will be back soon.

We've got to find some power for RF bc I think inciarte and mallex can be good hitters and plus defenders in LF (mallex) and CF (inciarte).

With Albies, Swanson, and Ruiz knocking on the door, the future looks bright.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 07:40 AM
I hope they figure out how to handle Albies and Swanson so that both make it into the lineup. Swanson has potential to be a Chipper/Freddie type "face of the franchise" - but Albies is just a straight baller.

Swanson is 4 for 12, with a HR and 5 RBIS in 3 games with the M-Braves. Puts him at .333/.434/.544 with 13 2B (most in pro ball right now) for the season.
And Albies is arguably doing better. Swanson is "my boy", so I am biased.

msstate7
05-04-2016, 07:50 AM
I hope they figure out how to handle Albies and Swanson so that both make it into the lineup. Swanson has potential to be a Chipper/Freddie type "face of the franchise" - but Albies is just a straight baller.

Swanson is 4 for 12, with a HR and 5 RBIS in 3 games with the M-Braves. Puts him at .333/.434/.544 with 13 2B (most in pro ball right now) for the season.

I've gotten over my vandy hate when it comes to Swanson.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I've gotten over my vandy hate when it comes to Swanson.
Swanson's grandmother was my kindergarten teacher, and we both played SS for the Marietta Blue Devils (about 20 years apart). No way I could hate him - even when he was kicking our ass.

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2016, 08:20 AM

So does one get moved to 2B and the other left at SS or can one of them play 3rd?

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Do you have a prediction for what the lineup will look like opening day 2017 in the new park?

Really Clark?
05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
So does one get moved to 2B and the other left at SS or can one of them play 3rd?

They will be the middle infielders of the future. The Braves are keeping both at SS right now though while moving them up the organizational ladder and trying to decide which one will make the move to second.

trob115
05-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Albies has the better arm. I think Swanson should be moved to 2nd.

msstate7
05-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Do you have a prediction for what the lineup will look like opening day 2017 in the new park?

I think the only locks (barring trades) are Swanson, Albies, inciarte, and FF.

Wisler, Teheran, and Blair as SPs

msstate7
05-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Albies has the better arm. I think Swanson should be moved to 2nd.

Albies has 2 errors in a week at SS. I'm not worried... Just saying

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 08:49 AM
They will be the middle infielders of the future. The Braves are keeping both at SS right now though while moving them up the organizational ladder and trying to decide which one will make the move to second.

This is spot on, and how the Braves have handled having multiple top SS prospects over the years. Remember, Chipper was a SS until he reached the bigs. If you are talented enough to be playing SS in the high minors, you can transition to 2B, 3B or outfield. The Braves have tended to have a player make that transition during winter ball or spring training. I would bet they will make that decision at the end of this year. Personally, I would put Swanson at 3B. Seems like a waste to have his D at 2B. With him and Ozzie locking down that side, they would be tough to beat - a lot like Chipper and Furcal.

msstate7
05-04-2016, 08:54 AM
This is spot on, and how the Braves have handled having multiple top SS prospects over the years. Remember, Chipper was a SS until he reached the bigs. If you are talented enough to be playing SS in the high minors, you can transition to 2B, 3B or outfield. The Braves have tended to have a player make that transition during winter ball or spring training. I would bet they will make that decision at the end of this year. Personally, I would put Swanson at 3B. Seems like a waste to have his D at 2B. With him and Ozzie locking down that side, they would be tough to beat - a lot like Chipper and Furcal.

You're probably slighting rio Ruiz some...

AAA (age 21) .337/.411/.495

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Probably - but that is a good problem to have. Braves are basically the 1989/1990 Braves right now - except there are more good bats in the system then they had then. '89 Richmond Braves had Gant, Justice, Cabrera, & Lemke; Greenville had Brian Hunter; Klesko and Eddie Perez in A ball. The core was close, we just had to feel the pain for 2 years before they started making the show.

louisvilledawg
05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Did yall see the homer ruiz hit the other night? it was a freaking moonshot.

How is Austin Riley progressing? I know he's young, but think they had him in their top 10 prospects pre season

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Did yall see the homer ruiz hit the other night? it was a freaking moonshot.

How is Austin Riley progressing? I know he's young, but think they had him in their top 10 prospects pre season

.242/.283/.407 with 2HR and 11 RBI. 33Ks in 91 AB. He has a ways to go.

shoeless joe
05-04-2016, 10:11 AM
What's the latest on olivera? Is that officially a waist of Alex wood or not?

Beaver
05-04-2016, 10:14 AM
It's been fun getting to see Mallex improve each game just about. The future looks pretty bright for now. Competing for the playoffs in 2017 might be a stretch though.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2016, 10:20 AM
It's been fun getting to see Mallex improve each game just about. The future looks pretty bright for now. Competing for the playoffs in 2017 might be a stretch though.

It will be 2018. That's why I made the '89 comparison. If you had told me in '89 that the Braves would be 1 game from winning the WS in '91, I would have asked you how much crack you smoked.

Really Clark?
05-04-2016, 10:31 AM

His suspension is still on going and looks like it will be for a while. The Braves made some inquires about trading him but obviously he has no market right now. Wood is struggling somewhat since he was dealt to the Dodgers. 4.82 era right now with a drop in his K rate and big jump up in his Walk rate.

msstate7
05-04-2016, 10:32 AM
His suspension is still on going and looks like it will be for a while. The Braves made some inquires about trading him but obviously he has no market right now. Wood is struggling somewhat since he was dealt to the Dodgers. 4.82 era right now with a drop in his K rate and big jump up in his Walk rate.

Maybe paco and the draft pick will save a little face on that trade

smootness
05-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Personally, I would put Swanson at 3B. Seems like a waste to have his D at 2B.

2B is a more premium defensive position, and his bat will play much better at 2B also. Having those two bats at 2B and SS will be a huge advantage.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2016, 10:43 AM

They've already announced they'll keep advancing both and move one to 2B once they both reach the majors. My bet is Albies moves. Either way, both are going to be playing.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2016, 10:48 AM

Wood ain't the one we gave away in that trade. It's Perazza. Braves are trying to trade Olivera, but as one MLB exec said: "I can't believe they even asked." I hated that trade from the start. Give away a decent SP and your top position prospect from a system already super short on position prospects for a 30 year old Cuban who has never played a day in the majors. If the Braves wanted him so badly, they should've ponied up the cash during the free agent bidding war. We should've traded for Puig.

msstate7
05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Fredi to be replaced with bud black? I hope so

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/05/04/braves-manager-fredi-gonzalez-bud-black/83921076/

Really Clark?
05-05-2016, 03:06 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/05/04/braves-manager-fredi-gonzalez-bud-black/83921076/

Lot of smoke that Fredi may be gone pretty soon. Front office has had discussions and may elect internal for interim manager or may go ahead and bring Bud Black in. I think he would be a good manager for this club

Tbonewannabe
05-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Lot of smoke that Fredi may be gone pretty soon. Front office has had discussions and may elect internal for interim manager or may go ahead and bring Bud Black in. I think he would be a good manager for this club

Had a friend that actually drank a few beers with Fredi, he asked him if he was ready to be in the new stadium. Fredi just told him that he wasn't sure if he was going to be the manager by then. Makes you wonder if Fredi knew he was just a placeholder how does that affect your decisions in the season.

shoeless joe
05-05-2016, 04:52 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a change...and I like black but wouldn't be some outstandingly great hire IMO.

msstate7
05-05-2016, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a change...and I like black but wouldn't be some outstandingly great hire IMO.

Fredi to just about anyone would be an outstanding hire to me at this point haha

I know it's not all fredi's fault... Really a lot of it isn't fredi's fault, but it's time to go another direction

shoeless joe
05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Fredi to just about anyone would be an outstanding hire to me at this point haha

I know it's not all fredi's fault... Really a lot of it isn't fredi's fault, but it's time to go another direction

Nothing this year is on fredi, this team is horrid. But I think some new blood wouldn't be a bad thing. If they're gonna do it this early then might as well hire a replacement instead of going interim route.

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Word is Eddie Perez will be interim manager once we can Fredi. I actually like this move. Gives Eddie a chance to audition then we can reassess after the season when more candidates are available.

Bud Black doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, though. He'd be a decent hire, but not one that's going to get anyone pumped to come out to the new park. I'd rather take a chance on someone like Big Mac if we don't go with Eddie.

BoomBoom
05-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Word is Eddie Perez will be interim manager once we can Fredi. I actually like this move. Gives Eddie a chance to audition then we can reassess after the season when more candidates are available.

Bud Black doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, though. He'd be a decent hire, but not one that's going to get anyone pumped to come out to the new park. I'd rather take a chance on someone like Big Mac if we don't go with Eddie.

I can both believe and support that interim hire.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2016, 07:25 PM

If love to see Eddie get the shot. Hell, let Chipper do it - he at least always seemed to give a shit. Fredi has never seemed to.

Bring the crazy hand grenade guy up (he's managing the team Renfroe is on right now)

http://youtu.be/TGZUKHtW7vg