PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dickie Scruggs University... was it worth it?

AlmostPositive
05-03-2016, 10:06 PM
You are about to become this decade's face of college football corruption. Drugs, cash, cars, and compliant Chi O's

You stand at least a 50-50 chance of losing your coach and AD.

You stand a one hundred per cent chance of crippling and embarrassing sanctions.

There are going to be hostile, energetic journalists crawling all over, probing everything they can. What do suppose they'll find?

I guess you can keep the Sugar Bowl rings but the win will be vacated. As will the last three Egg Bowls.

Oh for simpler times, when your football was mainly known for Confederate mascots and stealing hotel radios.

RealHastings
05-03-2016, 10:14 PM
I mean, let's look at the group we're talking about here.. Of course they'll say it was worth it. Spin baby spin.

TrapGame
05-03-2016, 10:15 PM
"It's only 9 over 3. That's all."

http://45.media.tumblr.com/c29d0f1bd3cf96e28837fbff47a8711f/tumblr_nxjvhp2l4G1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Johnson85
05-04-2016, 07:36 AM
You are about to become this decade's face of college football corruption. Drugs, cash, cars, and compliant Chi O's

You stand at least a 50-50 chance of losing your coach and AD.

You stand a one hundred per cent chance of crippling and embarrassing sanctions.

There are going to be hostile, energetic journalists crawling all over, probing everything they can. What do suppose they'll find?

I guess you can keep the Sugar Bowl rings but the win will be vacated. As will the last three Egg Bowls.

Oh for simpler times, when your football was mainly known for Confederate mascots and stealing hotel radios.

Realistically, anything other than the death penalty and it will have been worth it. They got two big bowl's in two years. Even if they spend the next decade recovering, they won't necessarily be any worse than they would have been without cheating. Would you rather have two good years where you're relevant and let's say 8 where you are terrible, or would you rather have 7 bowl years, with say a peak of 9 wins but mostly 6-8 win regular seasons, and then 3 years where you miss bowls. The second scenario could easily happen for UM without cheating (and arguably would be a good result), and at worst it's a toss up between the two options.

Even if it ends up sucking for UM for the next 8-10 years, looking at the whole picture, I'm not sure an objective person would look at it and say it doesn't pay to cheat.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-04-2016, 07:40 AM
How hilarious if OM had to disassociate from Dickie.

QuadrupleOption
05-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Realistically, anything other than the death penalty and it will have been worth it. They got two big bowl's in two years. Even if they spend the next decade recovering, they won't necessarily be any worse than they would have been without cheating. Would you rather have two good years where you're relevant and let's say 8 where you are terrible, or would you rather have 7 bowl years, with say a peak of 9 wins but mostly 6-8 win regular seasons, and then 3 years where you miss bowls. The second scenario could easily happen for UM without cheating (and arguably would be a good result), and at worst it's a toss up between the two options.

Even if it ends up sucking for UM for the next 8-10 years, looking at the whole picture, I'm not sure an objective person would look at it and say it doesn't pay to cheat.

Sorry but I'd take option 2 every time. You can build on that. With option 1 you'll never be able to do anything sustainable. Too boom or bust.

Bubb Rubb
05-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Sorry but I'd take option 2 every time. You can build on that. With option 1 you'll never be able to do anything sustainable. Too boom or bust.

Plus with option 1 you end up vacating wins in those good years.

Johnson85
05-04-2016, 08:03 AM

That's fair, but it can be pretty boom or bust regardless. UK had something probably pretty close to Option #2 with Brooks and still followed it up with something that looked like probation. Granted it's even harder to win at UK than at UM, but neither place is likely to have a long, sustained success. If you're the type program that is going to have some bust years regardless, is it really a bad idea to go all out for the peaks? I would argue that the difference between a 10 win season and an 8 win season is greater than the difference between a 5 win season and a 3 win season, which is probably what significant sanctions does to your valleys.

ScreenCaptureThis
05-04-2016, 08:44 AM
I tend to disagree. 10 wins is great and all, but if you're going to go for the all-or-nothing approach, you need to appear in the CFB national championship. How many people can name who was in the NYD bowls in the last 5 years? How many non-CFB enthusiasts can do the same? TV is more concerned about the casual fan than they are of the folks like us because they know we'll watch CFB, regardless of how any team is doing. OM is not the type of team the casual fan would turn on when they were playing because they had a 10-win season or two. People still turn on Auburn games despite them being horrible the last few years, and I would argue that came from their NC run.

And I would argue that there is very little difference between an 8-win season and a 10-win season in the grand scheme of things, unless the 10 win season comes with a division/conference championship. Otherwise, you're a top 5-15 team that nobody will remember in a few years, unless you keep up the pace.

If you're going to go all in and disregard any sanctions coming your way, it better be for a NC game appearance or it's not worth it. Not for 2 years of decent success. Just my opinion though.

Johnson85
05-04-2016, 09:06 AM
I tend to disagree. 10 wins is great and all, but if you're going to go for the all-or-nothing approach, you need to appear in the CFB national championship. How many people can name who was in the NYD bowls in the last 5 years? How many non-CFB enthusiasts can do the same? TV is more concerned about the casual fan than they are of the folks like us because they know we'll watch CFB, regardless of how any team is doing. OM is not the type of team the casual fan would turn on when they were playing because they had a 10-win season or two. People still turn on Auburn games despite them being horrible the last few years, and I would argue that came from their NC run.

And I would argue that there is very little difference between an 8-win season and a 10-win season in the grand scheme of things, unless the 10 win season comes with a division/conference championship. Otherwise, you're a top 5-15 team that nobody will remember in a few years, unless you keep up the pace.

If you're going to go all in and disregard any sanctions coming your way, it better be for a NC game appearance or it's not worth it. Not for 2 years of decent success. Just my opinion though.

You're never going to get a guarantee, but UM had as good a shot as you can buy last year. All they have to do is beat memphis and stop Arkansas on 4th and 28, and they're in the SEC championship game playing for a playoff spot. Granted they didn't have any business beating Bama and weren't competitive with Florida, so the reality is that they never had a legitimate shot, but it's as good of a shot as they can realistically get.

And again, you have to compare it to where they'd likely be without cheating. They could still end up with extended periods of suckage even without sanctions (hell, that is the norm post integration, although maybe it wouldn't be now with the rise of the SEC), so to me the downside is relatively small compared to the upside.

I'm not saying I'd pick their approach, I'm just saying if you look at the whole picture, it's very unlikely that cheating will end up being an awful tradeoff. Maybe it ends up being a bad choice, but not a terrible one.

Jack Lambert
05-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I don't think it was worth for them but it would have been worth it to if we had paid Newton 180k we would have won the NC that year.

msudawglb
05-04-2016, 09:40 AM
They did keep us from the playoffs....one win from playing Bama for the NC on a neutral field. And they kept us from the Sugar Bowl last year. Those two things are what burn me the most with them cheating.

gtowndawg
05-04-2016, 09:51 AM
All they have to do is beat memphis and stop Arkansas on 4th and 28,

Thank you Hunter Henry

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/0239ec73fe71c24ac8600603a28e4bc20c68012f/c=0-67-3057-2365&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/11/07/JacksonMS/JacksonMS/635825286622418114-20151107-tdc-mb6-2828.JPG-GBQCG625U.1.jpg

blacklistedbully
05-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Don't discount the importance of having all that extra practice time that comes with getting a bowl game. You don't get that with scenario 1. Remember, even with the over-the-top success of 2013's recruiting class, had we not shit-the-bed against them in 2012, they don't get a bowl, and that could have impacted their 2013 season.

RougeDawg
05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Don't discount the importance of having all that extra practice time that comes with getting a bowl game. You don't get that with scenario 1. Remember, even with the over-the-top success of 2013's recruiting class, had we not shit-the-bed against them in 2012, they don't get a bowl, and that could have impacted their 2013 season.

This all day. People seem to forget we jump started their run toward that 13 class.