PDA

View Full Version : Has a school ever successfully sued the NCAA?

MedDawg
05-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Coach34
05-03-2016, 12:23 PM
The SEC would frown upon OM doing that. I don't see it happening

Boodawg
05-03-2016, 12:23 PM
I've seen countless references by OM fans saying something like, "If the NCAA tries to punish Ole Miss on ________ without proof then Ole Miss will sue the hell out of them". Now it's "they can't use Tunsil's statement or OM will sue them".

I know Tarkanian and Neuheisel both sued the NCAA and won, but has a school ever sued and won against the NCAA for anything, much less a punishment for unproven infractions?

Not sure, but if they did, imagine what they'd do the next time NCAA finds proof of even a minor issue at the school.

AlmostPositive
05-03-2016, 12:25 PM
The possibility of Ole Miss suing is just twaddle to make them feel better.

If there were ever a trial, the NCAA would depose everybody connected.

Suing the NCAA over punishment would not even be a good idea if you were innocent. For Ole Miss, it would only make everything worse.

ScoobaDawg
05-03-2016, 12:28 PM
USC is still fighting with the NCAA in a lawsuit. Don't know what all has come of it.

Boodawg
05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
And subpoena power would come in to play then as well.

JoseBrown
05-03-2016, 12:30 PM
After the recent superman dance out of the window, and the more recent visual improper use of a gas mask I think the jury pool has been tainted.*** hahahaha! Couldn't happen to a better bunch!

TrapGame
05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't that work against OM to turn this into a legal matter? You'd have the discovery period and if anything turned up that actually was a criminal offense OM's world would be rocked to the core. It would go from disassociating boosters to those boosters going to jail for helping run a criminal enterprise.

Really Clark?
05-03-2016, 12:34 PM
USC is still fighting with the NCAA in a lawsuit. Don't know what all has come of it.

USC is not, Todd McNair is. That's who usually sues the NCAA. An individual who is penalized. Not usually a school.

BrunswickDawg
05-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I've seen countless references by OM fans saying something like, "If the NCAA tries to punish Ole Miss on ________ without proof then Ole Miss will sue the hell out of them". Now it's "they can't use Tunsil's statement or OM will sue them".

I know Tarkanian and Neuheisel both sued the NCAA and won, but has a school ever sued and won against the NCAA for anything, much less a punishment for unproven infractions?

Does this count???

Mississippi State was placed on probation by the NCAA prior to the 1975 season due to alleged improper benefits to student athletes. The school sought and won court approval to play in an adverse legal opinion to the NCAA. Regardless and after the fact, the NCAA forced the school to forfeit four wins and one tie 1975, as well as the entire 1976 and 1977 seasons.

MedDawg
05-03-2016, 12:42 PM

AlmostPositive
05-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I believe that was over Larry Gillard getting a discount on clothes that all students were entitled to. One of the more bogus NCCA offenses ever.

PLease OM, please sue the NCAA. The nation will love you for it.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2016, 01:45 PM

It worked out quite well for us back in the Bob Tyler days.**********

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm sure that Ole Miss would like nothing better than everyone involved in this to have to testify under oath. That would end well I'm sure.

ScottH
05-03-2016, 05:23 PM
And subpoena power would come in to play then as well.

The reason the guilty will NEVER sue the NCAA.

But boy howdy wouldn't it be fun.

Be sure and ask your Bear friends - " With all your reported lawyers and money, why don't y'all sue the NCAA?"

TUSK
05-03-2016, 05:53 PM

No... If Bammer didn't sue after getting raked over the coals with no "proof", then I doubt UM could... it's best just to write it off as "gettin' caught", and move along...

Ronnie Cockrell (one of our bagmen) did and won as an individual...