View Full Version : Another must-read on Tunsil

Coach34
05-03-2016, 09:06 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dawg_post/status/727490162012250113

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2016, 09:10 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dawg_post/status/727490162012250113

I just read this and was about to post.

it appears that Ole Miss has pissed off everyone with their cheating. Its pretty sad what is about to happen in Oxford all in the name of greed.

starkvegasdawg
05-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Paging Chuck. You're now on the clock for another spin story.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 09:33 AM
The UGA angle is fascinating. Content of that article plus UGA's prez in 2013 (Adams?) being highly pissed about losing Tunsil and the way it went down. Adams then leaves UGA post and goes to work for the NCAA, coincidentally. Now Adams is the prez at Pepperdine and sits on the NCAA Committee on Infractions. It's just so epic.

jbjones
05-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Its pretty sad what is about to happen in Oxford all in the name of greed.

No, it's not sad at all.

starkvegasdawg
05-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Just had a thought. In that article it said Tunsil wanted to sign with UGA but couldn't. Not the first time we've heard something like that. That got me to wondering why they couldn't. I could come up with two possibilities. 1. They were promised large sums of money that their family badly needed and knew they'd never see a red cent if they didn't sign. 2. They got the players on record accepting illegal benfits which would destroy their eligibility if word got out so they were blackmailed into signing with them.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Just had a thought. In that article it said Tunsil wanted to sign with UGA but couldn't. Not the first time we've heard something like that. That got me to wondering why they couldn't. I could come up with two possibilities. 1. They were promised large sums of money that their family badly needed and knew they'd never see a red cent if they didn't sign. 2. They got the players on record accepting illegal benfits which would destroy their eligibility if word got out so they were blackmailed into signing with them.

Im going with #1. The leaked text convo revealed what seemed to be pre-agreed upon monthly payments for rent, likely for Tunsil's mother. I doubt UGA's scholly offer included rent for mom to live in town.

Bubb Rubb
05-03-2016, 09:40 AM

When I hear a statement like that, I immediately think that either a family member was bought and is making the recruit go elsewhere (which is what I suspected with cam), or arrangements have been made to provide for the family that are already in motion (which is what I suspect here - new living arrangements for the mom, etc.).

Ole Miss has to be scared shitless right now. Lindsey Miller absolutely has the goods. I still say that all of this started when Freeze threw him under the bus as a domestic abuser. But here is the takeaway - this is only a part of the total case file the NCAA has working right now.

BrunswickDawg
05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Pretty sure that the infamous "Network" (http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?28032-The-Ole-Miss-Recruiting-Playbook) thread by C34 covers how they do it. Another "Elitedawgs Conspiracy" coming home to roost.

Maroons
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
But here is the takeaway - this is only a part of the total case file the NCAA has working right now.

Yep, it's almost easy now to forget about the academic fraud, impermissible contact, etc.

Coach34
05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
He said it because a deal was in place one he signed with OM

lefty96
05-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Im going with #1. The leaked text convo revealed what seemed to be pre-agreed upon monthly payments for rent, likely for Tunsil's mother. I doubt UGA's scholly offer included rent for mom to live in town.

I thought the same, that text conversation to me indicated that there was a standing agreement that something be paid on the regular.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Freeze doesn't have time to speak to the media at an FCA event. Interesting. It will also be interesting to see if he participates in the teleconference Thursday.

Pollodawg
05-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Of course Freeze doesn't have time to talk with the media. The entire narrative that they sold their souls to create is being eviscerated.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Freeze doesn't have time to speak to the media at an FCA event. Interesting. It will also be interesting to see if he participates in the teleconference Thursday.

Has Freeze ever not talked to the media? He usually uses that as a selling point on his program. Pretty telling that he is refusing to speak to the media. It will be interesting if he comes down with "an allergic reaction" the day he is supposed to talk on the SEC conference call.

TrapGame
05-03-2016, 10:15 AM
No, it's not sad at all.

Damn straight, I ain't shedding any tears.

Of course Freeze doesn't have time to talk with the media. The entire narrative that they sold their souls to create is being eviscerated.

I think Freeze is worried about keeping his job at this point. The silence is deafening.

Pollodawg
05-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Damn straight, I ain't shedding any tears.

I think Freeze is worried about keeping his job at this point. The silence is deafening.

For the first time ever, I think this aint far from right. Come one, NCAA, give old Pollo a reason to pop that champagne.

Beaver
05-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Meanwhile, Jill Freeze is approaching sainthood via MS Christian Living -- Link (http://mschristianliving.com/2016/covers/jill-freeze-life-calling/)

Seriously though, I don't know anything about Jill so I can't say anything about her. But with Hugh, I just don't get it. Is he just too ignorant to understand what's going on inside his program? Or does he really think the things going on in his program are "Christ-like"? He seems genuine with his faith, I don't think he's a 100% pretender. Maybe he's just severely misguided and is able to rationalize everything in his mind. On the other hand, I may be giving him too much credit...

AlmostPositive
05-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Tunsil is the reason Ole Miss is going to wish they never bought a player, but he is only one among many.

UGA (and a few other big boys in the college football universe) made sure it would all come tumbling down on their heads.

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Meanwhile, Jill Freeze is approaching sainthood via MS Christian Living -- Link (http://mschristianliving.com/2016/covers/jill-freeze-life-calling/)

Seriously though, I don't know anything about Jill so I can't say anything about her. But with Hugh, I just don't get it. Is he just too ignorant to understand what's going on inside his program? Or does he really think the things going on in his program are "Christ-like"? He seems genuine with his faith, I don't think he's a 100% pretender. Maybe he's just severely misguided and is able to rationalize everything in his mind. On the other hand, I may be giving him too much credit...

I have friends that have spoken with Briarcrest folks that have had something different to say about Saint Hugh. I personally think he is a snake oil salesman that would do whatever it takes including creating an image that works well in southern households.

Dawgology
05-03-2016, 10:49 AM

You've never been around a REAL conman/liar have you? Actually, you probably wouldn't have known you were. In my line of work I run up against them pretty regularly and I'm telling you now....Freeze throws up every red flag there is.

Reason2succeed
05-03-2016, 10:50 AM

1) Its very convenient for Hugh that a "hearts and minds" article dropped on May 1st with no author listed. They focus on his godly wife since his spiritual capital and reputation has been badly diminished. It seems like they are grasping at straws.

2) Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, and all of the fallen clergymen "seemed" authentic. That's the only reason why it works. I don't know about Hugh's eternal salvation. That's a higher pay grade than me but as far as his deeds, he is an absolute slime ball.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
I have friends that have spoken with Briarcrest folks that have had something different to say about Saint Hugh. I personally think he is a snake oil salesman that would do whatever it takes including creating an image that works well in southern households.

Same. We're talking about a guy that took a djembe (african ritual drum) and african prayer candles to a recruits house who's parents were african-born and very religious and prayed "for hours".

He tweeted on Sunday that we're all first rounders that "He paid it all for". As a Christian, it saddens me to see ppl cheapening the Word like that. Maybe Im just misinterpreting but seems in very poor taste on the surface and given the timing.

Tripp McNeely
05-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Same. We're talking about a guy that took a djembe (african ritual drum) and african prayer candles to a recruits house who's parents were african-born and very religious and prayed "for hours".

He tweeted on Sunday that we're all first rounders that "He paid it all for". As a Christian, it saddens me to see ppl cheapening the Word like that. Maybe Im just misinterpreting but seems in very poor taste on the surface and given the timing.

Whether his own personal faith is strong or not, we'll never have any way of knowing...the fact is, he uses that faith (or "faith"...whatever the case may be) as a recruiting tool, and then allows MASSIVE breaking of rules to go on in his program, with his knowledge (not very Christ-like) or possibly participation...and tries to cover it all up by touting that faith every chance he gets.

If you are or aren't a Christian, that narrative alone is enough for any person to wish the worst upon this program he's created.

Personally, I hope that his faith really is strong, and he finally has a "Saul on the road to Damascus"-type moment...and the om football program, gets the death penalty, is revived 5 years later and joins the Sun Belt.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/apr/29/recruiting-rewind-uga-recruit-nkemdiche-montravius/

You were also close with Laremy Tunsil? “He had told me he was signing with Georgia. That really (angered) me. That really (angered) a lot of people. He had told me for like a month before signing day – we had talked a lot – that he was coming to Georgia. He had pretty much told Geogria coaches that he was coming. Then a few days before signing day, I got a text saying he was going to Ole Miss and that he has got to do what he’s got to do. Then his phone shut off. I tried to talk to him a lot. I tried to call him a lot. But his phone was off. So, there was nothing you could do. I don’t know what happened. I guess he just fell in love with Ole Miss.” Have you talked to him since signing day? “No, I haven’t.”

Funniest story from a recruiting trip? “It was probably have to be seeing Robert Nkemdiche at Clemson. After the state championship game (in 2011, when Grayson beat Walton), I saw him at Clemson.. I had told some people that I had kicked his (butt), which I did. He had read some ESPN article where it said I had kicked his (butt). I guess he wasn’t happy about it. He came up to me with a bunch of his boys, and he was whining about it. He was like ‘I saw the article. That was cute.’ He showed me his state championship ring. I told him to ‘Go back and watch the film.’”

Beaver
05-03-2016, 11:36 AM
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/apr/29/recruiting-rewind-uga-recruit-nkemdiche-montravius/
Then his phone shut off. I tried to talk to him a lot. I tried to call him a lot. But his phone was off. So, there was nothing you could do.

If Neal had been allowed to keep asking questions...

Neal - "Laremy, did any of the coaches or staff members from Ole Miss provide you with some type of 'burner phone' during your recruitment?"

Tunsil - "I would have to say yes..."

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2016, 12:16 PM
I think part of the reason Tunsil signed with Ole Miss is because Ole Miss arranged a package deal with another player in exchange for that other player taking Tunsil's ACT for him. Ole Miss was the only place that Tunsil had a path to eligibility.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 12:22 PM
I think part of the reason Tunsil signed with Ole Miss is because Ole Miss arranged a package deal with another player in exchange for that other player taking Tunsil's ACT for him. Ole Miss was the only place that Tunsil had a path to eligibility.

Doesnt Laremy's brother have a football scholly at OM as a WR too? If memory serves he had like 12 catches for 200 yards senior year of high school. Im sure he was part of the package. Get to be "on the team" and go to school for free. Prob not a violation but certainly evidence of a package deal.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Doesnt Laremy's brother have a football scholly at OM as a WR too? If memory serves he had like 12 catches for 200 yards senior year of high school. Im sure he was part of the package. Get to be "on the team" and go to school for free. Prob not a violation but certainly evidence of a package deal.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/laremy_tunsil_856441.html

Brother of Ole Miss wide receiver Alex Weber

Mjoelner34
05-03-2016, 12:59 PM

They only started the package deal after the Tuohy's left Michael Oher's non-athletic siblings to live in a cardboard box under a bridge. I actually applaud them for standing up and taking care of the whole family. **

jumbo
05-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Tunsil is the reason Ole Miss is going to wish they never bought a player, but he is only one among many.

UGA (and a few other big boys in the college football universe) made sure it would all come tumbling down on their heads.

I stand by it that if they hadn't of gotten greedy and flipped Tunsil they probably wouldn't be under investigation right now.

They had legitimate ties for RK, Connor & Treadwell. Tunsil is the one with no link and I'm pretty sure never even visited Oxford.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I stand by it that if they hadn't of gotten greedy and flipped Tunsil they probably wouldn't be under investigation right now.

They had legitimate ties for RK, Connor & Treadwell. Tunsil is the one with no link and I'm pretty sure never even visited Oxford.

Don't forget Austin Gholson:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/prattville_ol_austin_golson_ch.html

""I took an official visit to Ole Miss, and I just loved it," Golson said shortly after his decision. "I felt like it was home and the place I wanted to be. I went back two weeks later and it felt even better.""

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/auburn_austin_golson_1.html

"The 6-foot-5, 305-pound native of nearby Prattville held an offer from Auburn in high school, but made an early commitment to Florida State when he was a sophomore. Golson stuck with the Seminoles throughout the majority of his recruitment before flipping to Ole Miss on National Signing Day for a chance at early playing time.

"It just felt like the right thing to do at the time," said Golson, who has no regrets about the college path he's chosen/. "And I enjoyed Ole Miss. It's just that Auburn's where my heart is and I'm glad to be back here.""

Political Hack
05-03-2016, 01:21 PM
There is nothing genuine about Freeze. He knows what it takes for Ole Miss to win in the SEC and he sold his soul to go get it.

Political Hack
05-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Don't forget Austin Gholson:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/prattville_ol_austin_golson_ch.html

""I took an official visit to Ole Miss, and I just loved it," Golson said shortly after his decision. "I felt like it was home and the place I wanted to be. I went back two weeks later and it felt even better.""

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/auburn_austin_golson_1.html

"The 6-foot-5, 305-pound native of nearby Prattville held an offer from Auburn in high school, but made an early commitment to Florida State when he was a sophomore. Golson stuck with the Seminoles throughout the majority of his recruitment before flipping to Ole Miss on National Signing Day for a chance at early playing time.

"It just felt like the right thing to do at the time," said Golson, who has no regrets about the college path he's chosen/. "And I enjoyed Ole Miss. It's just that Auburn's where my heart is and I'm glad to be back here.""

I have no clue how true it is, but I've heard that they actually arranged for him to kill a big buck one weekend while there. Like took a deer out to the woods so he could shoot it type arrangement... If that happened, it has to be one of the best examples I can think of when it comes to next level recruiting efforts.

starkvegasdawg
05-03-2016, 01:49 PM
I have no clue how true it is, but I've heard that they actually arranged for him to kill a big buck one weekend while there. Like took a deer out to the woods so he could shoot it type arrangement... If that happened, it has to be one of the best examples I can think of when it comes to next level recruiting efforts.

If that is true then the MDWFP would love to have a conversation with all those involved. You ain't been violated until you've been violated by a pissed off game warden.