PDA

View Full Version : Need some restaurant help in Starkville

BulldogBear
05-02-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm going to be in town four days for the SEC Softball Tournament next week and am sort of planning my itinerary for dining... you know... the important stuff. I have tended during football season to go to my favorite places as a creature of habit. This is a golden opportunity to try some new stuff...places I haven't been before. I'm going to have three opportunities for a new place, 2 lunch and 1 dinner. I already have my eye on Commodore Bob's for one meal. I also have never been to Central Station Grill. That's two. I'm taking suggestions for a third. If I can grab a quick meal for a 3rd new lunch if time allows I may go to Bully's Burgers and Wings. Whichever new place I choose for dinner that will be Friday night so it's important that there are lots of TVs for baseball and wifi so I can have the Arkansas game going.

Dawg496
05-02-2016, 07:09 PM
I like the Grill a lot.. Try that for dinner maybe.

What else is on your itinerary?

BulldogDX55
05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be in town four days for the SEC Softball Tournament next week and am sort of planning my itinerary for dining... you know... the important stuff. I have tended during football season to go to my favorite places as a creature of habit. This is a golden opportunity to try some new stuff...places I haven't been before. I'm going to have three opportunities for a new place, 2 lunch and 1 dinner. I already have my eye on Commodore Bob's for one meal. I also have never been to Central Station Grill. That's two. I'm taking suggestions for a third. If I can grab a quick meal for a 3rd new lunch if time allows I may go to Bully's Burgers and Wings. Whichever new place I choose for dinner that will be Friday night so it's important that there are lots of TVs for baseball and wifi so I can have the Arkansas game going.

Are you mixing up Bully's Burgers and Wings with Bulldog Burger Co.? Because the former is an alright place for their lunch specials, and the latter is absolutely amazing and blows the first out of the water. If you can only pick one of the two, YOU MUST choose Bulldog Burger Co.

Fred Garvin
05-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Have not been disappointed by Commodore Bobs

BulldogBear
05-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Are you mixing up Bully's Burgers and Wings with Bulldog Burger Co.? Because the former is an alright place for their lunch specials, and the latter is absolutely amazing and blows the first out of the water. If you can only pick one of the two, YOU MUST choose Bulldog Burger Co.

I'm not familiar with that one. Tell me more!

BulldogBear
05-02-2016, 07:20 PM
I like the Grill a lot.. Try that for dinner maybe.

What else is on your itinerary?

Commoder Bob's, Central Station Grill, and one other. The Friday night dinner just needs to have TV and hopefully wifi.

RichardHarrow
05-02-2016, 07:21 PM

I second this. Bulldog burger is legit, but don't go if you intend to catch a buzz. Upon ordering my 4th beer the waitress said "that's your 4th beer so I'll have to tell my manager.". I thought she was joking.....she wasn't. Anyway, the food is awesome. And you can't go wrong with restaurant Tyler blue plate

drummerdawg
05-02-2016, 07:23 PM

I was gonna recommend this one too. It's where Bulldog Deli used to be and if you like burgers you won't be disappointed.

It_Could_Happen
05-02-2016, 07:33 PM
I was gonna recommend this one too. It's where Bulldog Deli used to be and if you like burgers you won't be disappointed.

Bulldog burger is really good. Two brothers smoked meats is one of my favorites as well. Right across the street from bulldog burger behind drifters.

BulldogDX55
05-02-2016, 07:35 PM

I'm posting from there right now. Let me just put it this way- better than Mugshots food, for $1-$2 less per person (apps run abou $5, burgers are $9-$11), and the lone dessert item is a salted caramel home made bread pudding that is made from Shipley's Donuts.

civildawg
05-02-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry, but the grill has been terrible ever since it moved in the new location. Everything is smaller and more expensive.

Homedawg
05-02-2016, 07:39 PM
The camp house for lunch is different. Bulldog burger as they said is a thumbs up.

jbjones
05-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Go to the brewery, take a tour. Have some samples.

Mayhew Junction (http://mayhewjunction.com/home.html)

I'm pretty sure they are doing tours on the weekends. I can't remember if they have food there or not...still haven't done the tour yet. Definitely on my list.

DawgHouseUnited
05-02-2016, 07:52 PM
What's the word on rosey babys? I used to like that place long ago..

Steakonastick
05-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Lunch- two brothers
Dinner- Comodore Bobs
Lunch- Bulldog Burger

fccee1
05-02-2016, 08:19 PM
I like City Bagel for Italian on the nights that do that.
It is BYOB.

Also like to go to West Point to Anthony's

BeastMan
05-02-2016, 08:19 PM
If you haven't done Italian/pizza night at City Bagel Wednesday-Friday, you haven't dined in Starkville correctly. Besides that, Veranda and Restaurant Tyler are 1a and 1b for dinner. BBQ Grilled Cheese at Petty's was more than likely manna from the Old Testament imo. Late night bar food it's Dave's Dark Horse Tavern by a long shot.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/820A4597-3A9A-4D94-9B5D-733CD3468649_zps8mgtzbvu.jpg

fccee1
05-02-2016, 08:26 PM
man that deep dish pizza at dave's is great. be prepared to wait an hour for it. they do have plenty to drink during the wait and will not tell the manager when you have had 4

BeastMan
05-02-2016, 08:28 PM
man that deep dish pizza at dave's is great. be prepared to wait an hour for it. they do have plenty to drink during the wait and will not tell the manager when you have had 4

I saw we both posted about CB's Italian night at 8:19. Great minds sir, great minds. Now you post about Dave's Deep Dish...

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2015/06/Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

I seen it dawg
05-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Get a maple bacon biscuit or 6 in the morning at The Biscuit Lady downtown.

Political Hack
05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Veranda, Restaurant Tyler, and Anthony's would be my 3 nights. You can bring in your own wine at Anthony's too.

fccee1
05-02-2016, 09:12 PM
breakfast on saturday one ham and cheese and one chocolate croisant from deregios bread.

fccee1
05-02-2016, 09:15 PM
I saw we both posted about CB's Italian night at 8:19. Great minds sir, great minds. Now you post about Dave's Deep Dish...

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2015/06/Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

My wife and I plan every trip we take around where we will eat. been spending alot more time in Starkville learning some new places there.

BulldogBear
05-02-2016, 10:11 PM
What's the word on rosey babys? I used to like that place long ago..

I've heard it has gone downhill

Bulldog burger is really good. Two brothers smoked meats is one of my favorites as well. Right across the street from bulldog burger behind drifters.

What's atmosphere like at Two Brothers? Is it more lunch or dinner?

Veranda, Restaurant Tyler, and Anthony's would be my 3 nights. You can bring in your own wine at Anthony's too.

Been to Veranda so that's out. I've heard good things about Restaurant Tyler.

If you haven't done Italian/pizza night at City Bagel Wednesday-Friday, you haven't dined in Starkville correctly. Besides that, Veranda and Restaurant Tyler are 1a and 1b for dinner. BBQ Grilled Cheese at Petty's was more than likely manna from the Old Testament imo. Late night bar food it's Dave's Dark Horse Tavern by a long shot.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/820A4597-3A9A-4D94-9B5D-733CD3468649_zps8mgtzbvu.jpg

I love Petty's but have been there millions of times and often get stuff to take home anytime I'm passing through Starkville. Haven't been to Italian/Pizza night at City Bagel. Do they have wifi?

Political Hack
05-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Stromboli's is a must if youve never done it and looking for pizza, calzones, etc... Order the Stromboli though.

ScottH
05-02-2016, 11:32 PM
When is City Bagel closing? Not yet I assume.

It_Could_Happen
05-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Two Bros is
Good either way. Great for watching a game and grabbing a drink. Service is really good and food is outstanding. I would say more lunch because it's a lot
Of BBQ/burgers. Get the pulled pork grilled cheese with debris fries and the pimento cheese fritter appetizer.

dickiedawg
05-03-2016, 04:46 AM
Been to Veranda so that's out. I've heard good things about Restaurant Tyler.

If you've never been to Restaurant Tyler, please move that to the top of your lunch list. It's probably Starkville's best restaurant.
There's a lot of good recommendations in this thread and I can/will add to that, but lunch at Tyler is a must in my opinion.

Skip Bully's Burgers and Wings, as it's utterly forgettable. Bulldog burger Co. Is good as others have said, but The Dawghouse (old state theatre) is a great option, too, with plenty of TVs. Bulldog Burger is still in the "brand new" phase and likely to be packed out. If the weather's nice they have a big patio which helps.

2 brothers is a good recommendation, definitely different. I like their smoked wings or pork loin sliders (warm).

I'd make Central Station Grill your Friday night spot. TVs in the bar area and I'm pretty sure wifi. Food consistently delivers. It won't blow you away probably for one meal but everything is good.

Another thing to consider is Jean Cafe is back. I've not eaten at the new location but the old place was fantastic. It's Chinese if you're not familiar.

The restaurant scene has really come a long way in Starkville.

AROB44
05-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Haven't heard that. Sure hope not.

BeastMan
05-03-2016, 07:29 AM
When is City Bagel closing? Not yet I assume.

Not closing. Joe and Mary are retiring and Ty bought it. He's keeping it open and building a mixed use development http://starkvilledailynews.com/content/city-bagel-cafe-changes-hands-set-large-mixed-use-development

Tbonewannabe
05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm posting from there right now. Let me just put it this way- better than Mugshots food, for $1-$2 less per person (apps run abou $5, burgers are $9-$11), and the lone dessert item is a salted caramel home made bread pudding that is made from Shipley's Donuts.

I think I just became diabetic from reading that sentence.

mic
05-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Get a maple bacon biscuit or 6 in the morning at The Biscuit Lady downtown.

Just better get there before 8:30.. Those don't last long...

BulldogBear
05-03-2016, 03:09 PM
If you've never been to Restaurant Tyler, please move that to the top of your lunch list. It's probably Starkville's best restaurant.
There's a lot of good recommendations in this thread and I can/will add to that, but lunch at Tyler is a must in my opinion.

2 brothers is a good recommendation, definitely different. I like their smoked wings or pork loin sliders (warm).

I'd make Central Station Grill your Friday night spot. TVs in the bar area and I'm pretty sure wifi. Food consistently delivers. It won't blow you away probably for one meal but everything is good.

Done, done, and done, all three have made the final cut.

Two Bros is
Good either way. Great for watching a game and grabbing a drink. Service is really good and food is outstanding. I would say more lunch because it's a lot
Of BBQ/burgers. Get the pulled pork grilled cheese with debris fries and the pimento cheese fritter appetizer.

See above. I want to try the wings as dickie suggested and those two sound great as well. I don't know what to think of the duck sliders. I'm interested but not high on cabbage.

My wife and I plan every trip we take around where we will eat. been spending alot more time in Starkville learning some new places there.

That's the only way to plan!

Lunch- two brothers
Dinner- Comodore Bobs
Lunch- Bulldog Burger

Commodore Bob's has made the final cut as well. I'm going to hold off on Bulldog Burger Company till a baseball regional or football season. If it were a Tourney, BBC is the good team on the bubble that didn't make it in!!

So, here it is:

3 Lunches - Commodore Bob's (Thursday or Friday), Two Brothers (Thursday or Friday), and Restaurant Tyler (Saturday)

1 Dinner - Central Station Grill (Saturday)

I still have more questions thought it'll have to be later today

I seen it dawg
05-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Just better get there before 8:30.. Those don't last long...

Perfect before a round at Waverly

MSUDawg99
05-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Commoder Bob's, Central Station Grill, and one other. The Friday night dinner just needs to have TV and hopefully wifi.

The Camphouse has good lunch. Restaurant Tyler is also a good one. I don't know where you usually go though.

MSUDawg99
05-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Nm

BrunswickDawg
05-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Can't believe no one recommended Danvers or Allgoods. What is this world coming to?***

BulldogBear
05-03-2016, 05:14 PM
The Camphouse has good lunch. Restaurant Tyler is also a good one. I don't know where you usually go though.

The Camphouse is going on the baseball/football next time list!!

ETDawg
05-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Going to Starkville Friday to watch Friday and Saturday's games. I've eaten at Veranda, Stromboli's, City Bagel, Starkville Caf?, Oby's, La Terraza, Lost Pizza, Harveys, Little Dooey, CS Grill, StagerIN, Firehouse Subs, Sweet Peppers and a few more that I can't remember and most of the above more than once.

Haven't eaten at Christie's and several of the ones mentioned above. I need to try The Biscuit Shop, Two Brothers, Bulldog Bros, R Tyler.

Will try to hit one or more on Friday, Saturday, Sunday morn. So many good ones and so little time

(Gonna start with LFL on Friday evening :) )

dawgwhisperer
05-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Don't go to that sysco restaurant. Go to Bulldog Burger, Commodore Bob's, and Two Brother's Smoked meat. Two Brothers is about 10 feet away from Commodore Bob's. Get any of the appetizers. They are unreal.

drummerdawg
05-04-2016, 08:58 AM
I haven't been there yet but The Beer Garden seems like a cool place to try out.

http://www.historichotelchester.com/beer_garden.php

BulldogBear
05-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Done, done, and done, all three have made the final cut.

See above. I want to try the wings as dickie suggested and those two sound great as well. I don't know what to think of the duck sliders. I'm interested but not high on cabbage.

That's the only way to plan!

Commodore Bob's has made the final cut as well. I'm going to hold off on Bulldog Burger Company till a baseball regional or football season. If it were a Tourney, BBC is the good team on the bubble that didn't make it in!!

So, here it is:

3 Lunches - Commodore Bob's (Thursday or Friday), Two Brothers (Thursday or Friday), and Restaurant Tyler (Saturday)

1 Dinner - Central Station Grill (Saturday)

I still have more questions thought it'll have to be later today

So, here's the basic idea. My in-laws live in Neshoba County and rather than come all the way back home or get a hotel, this is the logical solution. I'll be driving from Brandon to Starkville on the morning of the first day (Wednesday). It's four games and I really don't want to miss a single at bat of the opening round games. I like pulling for underdogs and that includes us in game 3 at 4:00pm. So, the first day I'm not going to try to run around. I'm just going to sample the concession fare at the new facility. It works out better that way anyway as far as timing as I'll be hitting Mary Lou's Biscuit Bar (Yusss!) in Louisville for breakfast about 8:00am-8:30am. In fact, there are four games on Wednesday AND Thursday with the last one ending no earlier than 9:00pm and that depends on weather, long games, and whether or not there are any run rule games. So, that's why I'm not planning dinner until Friday night as there are only two games, one at 2:00pm and one at 4:30pm. By they way, that is a misprint above, I meant to say Friday night is "dinner" night not Saturday night. Saturday's Championship game is at 4:00pm and I'm planning on just heading home afterwards.

Let me switch gears and go backwards. With only one game Saturday that's why I put lunch at Restaurant Tyler there, if for no other reason that it's the farthest of my lunch spots from the ball field and parking. I'll have plenty of time to catch what I hear is going to be an excellent lunch, have a beverage or three, and watch whatever early SEC baseball game is on before heading over to Nusz Park for the SEC Softball Championship game.

Friday is likewise not loaded with games. So, the plan is to head up in the morning and be at Two Brothers or Commodore Bob's right when they open, so I won't be rushed and can take it all in at my leisure before the first semi final game at 2:00pm.

Which brings me to Thursday's lunch. This is where I have to make a bit of a sacrifice. None of these places seem to open at 10:30am and for that matter I can't confirm whether Commodore Bob's opens at 11:00am or 11:30am. Their website says the open for lunch at 11:30am but then in another place is says they serve brunch from 11:00am to 2:00pm! So, I originally wasn't going to eat anywhere in particular for lunch Thursday either and probably just go to the Union (if any of those joints are open before 11:00am), but all the great suggestions have convinced me to do a squeeze play to try a 4th new place in the form of 3rd lunch spot on the roster. However, I really don't want to miss much more than half of the first game (which starts at 11:00am) on day 2, Thursday. But I don't want to be rushed either. An inning usually goes 20-30 minutes. At that rate I'm looking at wanting to get in for lunch at Two Brothers or C-Bob's and be out by 12:30pm at the latest without wolfing down my food. Which of those two places will I get in and out of on that kind of time table? And can anyone confirm whether C-Bob's opens at 11:00am? If they don't open till 11:30am, then that makes it simple, save C-Bob's for Friday and do Two Brothers on Thursday. Maybe there'll be a slight rain delay???

Speaking of that, I may had better have a back-up/add-on to catch a lunch or mid afternoon lunch/dinner on Wednesday or Thursday in case there is some down time from weather delays. Maybe then I could hit Bulldog Burger Co. instead of saving it for later. But there'll be more fans in town day 1 and day 2.

starkvegasdawg
05-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Speaking of places to eat...anyone know what they are turning Arby's in to?

LandDawg
05-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Eat fast food very little these days, but Arbys is my favortie. Going to miss it. Cookout's menu looks good though.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
You seem really organized. I respect that. I would never put to much planning into where I eat...

BulldogBear
05-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Well, it seems Restaurant Tyler isn't open for lunch on Saturdays, so that changes my plan a little. Guess I'll have to make it Friday and switch Commodore Bob's to Saturday. The tough decisions in life.***

Saltydog
05-05-2016, 06:40 PM
nt

BulldogBear
05-05-2016, 07:14 PM
You seem really organized. I respect that. I would never put to much planning into where I eat...

Thanks. I wish the explanation was that simple. I spent a lot of time being disorganized. So, it's learned behavior because I don't like reaping the "reward" of being disorganized. Because of that whenever I go on a trip, even if it's to the Clubhouse at the farm for a few nights, I always make a big check list. Getting to a the clubhouse and realizing at 0dark30 that you have a weapon but no ammo will make an OCD traveler out of you yet!! As far as planning trips goes, and in this case where to eat and when, with four kids I've been in maximize my time mode for over a decade. It's habit at this point.