PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Injuries

Political Hack
05-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Stoval is likely going to be out around 6 weeks.

Luke Alexander has a broken bone in his glove hand. I'm not sure what that means for him and his time frames for being back, but I sure as hell wasn't happy to hear it.

With the injuries mounting, don't be surprised if Cohen looks towards some upperclassmen to move positions. So, don't be shocked if we see some guys playing new positions soon.

Dallas_Dawg
05-02-2016, 09:18 AM
So Gridley stays at short, Holland to 2B?
Sounds like this is the only option

HoopsDawg
05-02-2016, 09:20 AM
So Gridley stays at short, Holland to 2B?
Sounds like this is the only option

We are already doing that. If we want to get our best bats in the lineup, Collins would have to move to 2nd and Hump to 3rd.

CadaverDawg
05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
We are already doing that. If we want to get our best bats in the lineup, Collins would have to move to 2nd and Hump to 3rd.

Yep. Kinda what I was thinking. But I bet Cohen Willet Holland try to prove himself at the plate a few more games first

maroonmania
05-02-2016, 09:36 AM

And that's a scary thought. Imagine having Collins limited range at 2B rather than 3B. Holland has the ability to hit better than he has, don't really know what is wrong with him at the plate.

HoopsDawg
05-02-2016, 09:37 AM
And that's a scary thought. Imagine having Collins limited range at 2B rather than 3B. Holland has the ability to hit better than he has, don't really know what is wrong with him at the plate.

Yep, he's just got to step it up.

Political Hack
05-02-2016, 09:55 AM
We've got better options at 2nd than Collins. He'll put speed there and we have a lot of OF guys that played IF in high school. He'll find someone to fill the gap that's more than just a warm body.

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Can't do it on the infield. We have to play solid defense up the middle. It's got to be Gridley and Holland at this point, until Alexander comes back.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Before the season started I swear I thought Kruger played C and 2B. Now checking his profile and just says C. Guess Im mis remembering.

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Kruger certainly puts us in a lurch. I'd like his bat but we need Marrero's defense. Only way to get them both in is to move someone to 2B who will be a liability. So I guess the question is, what position is most important? Hell if I know at this point, that's why we pay Cohen. I'd stick with Holland at 2B for the time being to see if he improves, because we know he has the ability.

HoopsDawg
05-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Kruger certainly puts us in a lurch. I'd like his bat but we need Marrero's defense. Only way to get them both in is to move someone to 2B who will be a liability. So I guess the question is, what position is most important? Hell if I know at this point, that's why we pay Cohen. I'd stick with Holland at 2B for the time being to see if he improves, because we know he has the ability.

I don't see much of a drop off if any with Kruger over Marrero at this point. Marerro gets it to 2nd a little quicker but Kruger is better at blocking balls.

ScoobaDawg
05-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Before the season started I swear I thought Kruger played C and 2B. Now checking his profile and just says C. Guess Im mis remembering.

He hasn't played it this season at least.

2b Ryan Gridley/MS
2b Hunter Stovall/MS
2b John Holland/MS
2b Gavin Collins/MS
2b Luke Alexander/MS

Gavin started once, vs Nicholls St but had to move over to 3b to get the error machine Reid off 3rd.

maroonmania
05-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Just calling it like it is, another injury to a middle infielder right now would really be damaging to our team. Still kind of miffed about the Stovall injury because it appeared that it was largely caused by the Bama first baseman having his foot way too far over on the bag which gave Stovall very little room to plant when he stepped on the bag as he ran. Was the finally diagnosis a hyperextended knee strain?

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Just calling it like it is, another injury to a middle infielder right now would really be damaging to our team. Still kind of miffed about the Stovall injury because it appeared that it was largely caused by the Bama first baseman having his foot way too far over on the bag which gave Stovall very little room to plant when he stepped on the bag as he ran. Was the finally diagnosis a hyperextended knee strain?

To be fair, it's not like Stovall was tearing it up out there. We're really about in the same position, without depth. Stovall, Alexander and Marrero are all going to be big time superstars for this team the next two years, but the only freshmen that absolutely HAVE to play at this point are Mangum and Pilkington.

Wonder if we could convince Luke Reynolds to come back lolzzz

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Collins doesn't have the quickness or footwork to play 2nd in my opinion. There's more than just taking ground balls at 2nd. I can't imagine him trying to turn a double play on a ball hit to short. He's just too slow to react to things. He can't get to balls hit two steps to his left or right at third. How many bunts has he fielded cleanly and thrown the guy out? I can recall only one. Think it came against Bama or LSU. There is just a lack of quickness with him.

Having said all of that, I do commend him on having a better stroke at the plate against Bama. He was going with the pitch and not trying to pull everything. I hope he can see how that helps him. He will still get his bombs as we saw on Friday when the pitcher puts one in his wheelhouse. But he has to take what the pitcher gives him and wait for his spots on pulling a ball.

BorneDawg
05-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Luke will have off season surgery and will have to miss playing summer ball in Cali. Hate it for him. He will bounce back but not sure how much he can do the rest of the season. They had it so taped up and padded it hurt his feel in the glove. Maybe they can figure it out soon!!

State82
05-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Can't do it on the infield. We have to play solid defense up the middle. It's got to be Gridley and Holland at this point, until Alexander comes back.

I agree. We can't be screwing around in the infield at this juncture. Gotta play defense.

HoopsDawg
05-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Luke will have off season surgery and will have to miss playing summer ball in Cali. Hate it for him. He will bounce back but not sure how much he can do the rest of the season. They had it so taped up and padded it hurt his feel in the glove. Maybe they can figure it out soon!!

That sucks. Sounds like they should go ahead and shut him down and have the surgery.

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 03:55 PM
That sucks. Sounds like they should go ahead and shut him down and have the surgery.

Agreed. If he's not 100% then we may as well go with a senior who has played a lot of games. We'll just have to move Collins there if someone else gets hurt.

maroonmania
05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
To be fair, it's not like Stovall was tearing it up out there. We're really about in the same position, without depth. Stovall, Alexander and Marrero are all going to be big time superstars for this team the next two years, but the only freshmen that absolutely HAVE to play at this point are Mangum and Pilkington.

Wonder if we could convince Luke Reynolds to come back lolzzz

At this point I'm not really talking about offensive being the issue. So even though Stovall wasn't tearing it up he was an above average middle infielder. If we lose Gridley or Holland at this point then our defense up the middle is going to suck big time and that was the damaging part I was talking about.

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 05:15 PM
At this point I'm not really talking about offensive being the issue. So even though Stovall wasn't tearing it up he was an above average middle infielder. If we lose Gridley or Holland at this point then our defense up the middle is going to suck big time and that was the damaging part I was talking about.

Stovall was sucking at 2B too.

Homedawg
05-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Stovall was sucking at 2B too.

He is a true fr and he has had some ups and downs, but he brings the most to the table. He's had some big hits too, double at lsu for one. The versatility he brings adds a lot we can do moves wise too. I think he's a gritty little sob too. Gonna be a good one

Dawg496
05-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Rather than 2B, have any of the OF played SS? Move Gridley to 2B and fill in the SS spot.

Damn it'd be nice to have Frazier or Pirtle on this team.

djaymsu5
05-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Can Hump not play short anymore? I know he was a stud in highschool there. Surely he still can play in the middle more so than Gavin.

djaymsu5
05-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Sure would be nice to have Luke Reynolds or Delvin Zinn right about now.

bulldogcountry1
05-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Did Mike Smith play any MIF in JUCO?

Taog Redloh
05-02-2016, 08:46 PM
He is a true fr and he has had some ups and downs, but he brings the most to the table. He's had some big hits too, double at lsu for one. The versatility he brings adds a lot we can do moves wise too. I think he's a gritty little sob too. Gonna be a good one

I agree. Don't take my words as hatin' on him. Just the facts at this juncture. He was my favorite signee.

maroonmania
05-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Can Hump not play short anymore? I know he was a stud in highschool there. Surely he still can play in the middle more so than Gavin.

Now that his arm has healed you would think that might be an option. I'll bet Hump has played a LOT more middle infield over his time in baseball than Collins ever has. Hump is a much more natural infielder than outfielder if you ask me based on watching him play. Batting wise our best option would be to have Hump play 2nd and Gridley at SS and then play either Rooker or Cody Brown in LF and you could DH Kruger or DH either Rooker or Brown when they are not in the OF and Kruger is catching. Could then bring in Holland when Hump pitches.

Homedawg
05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Look people, hump, smith, nobody on our roster is being moved to short or second. Collins can be strictly an emergency whatever I suppose, but if it's more than an inning in the middle our season is done. I sometimes wonder if y'all have seen a game. Good grief.

maroonmania
05-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Look people, hump, smith, nobody on our roster is being moved to short or second. Collins can be strictly an emergency whatever I suppose, but if it's more than an inning in the middle our season is done. I sometimes wonder if y'all have seen a game. Good grief.

Well one more injury and someone will have to be moved. We will have no choice. And yes, all those times I've watched Hump play 2nd base in games he has looked terrible.*** Collins has no range and makes lots of fielding errors and we are living with that at 3rd but we can't in the middle of the infield. I have no real idea if Hump can play middle infield at this point in his career or not but he came to us as an infielder, not an outfielder. You can watch Humphreys in the OF and tell he's not all that comfortable out there. He looked totally lost trying to field that ball on the track this past Thursday night at Bama. Could have cost us big time.

djaymsu5
05-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Hump needs to be at second or short( which ever one he is more comfortable with) right now in practice getting adjusted to the infield. I can guarantee you he still knows how to play in the middle. He just needs to take hella ground balls in practice to get back used to the feel of it. I would have him start at whichever middle spot against Troy and see how he does. We will need someone else there for the depth nonetheless if something were to happen to Holland. We have plenty of outfielders

djaymsu5
05-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Now that his arm has healed you would think that might be an option. I'll bet Hump has played a LOT more middle infield over his time in baseball than Collins ever has. Hump is a much more natural infielder than outfielder if you ask me based on watching him play. Batting wise our best option would be to have Hump play 2nd and Gridley at SS and then play either Rooker or Cody Brown in LF and you could DH Kruger or DH either Rooker or Brown when they are not in the OF and Kruger is catching. Could then bring in Holland when Hump pitches.

Agree! And we need Cody Brown in the everyday line up at the bottom of the order. That is another one of those dirtbags that has grit. Love that kid! Also a veteran

Todd4State
05-02-2016, 10:38 PM

I agree with this. Humphreys did play SS in high school but so do most good prospects. That doesn't mean he can do it at a high level in the SEC. I have seen Humphreys play SS in high school and not once did I ever think he would be a SS in college. He looked like a 3B/OF to me and he has settled in as an OF. I don't believe he has the instincts and range to play SS at an adequate level in the SEC and I have no idea if he can turn a double play and infield pop ups would be a question as well.

People need to understand there is a HUGE difference between the SEC and 6A ball in Mississippi. And I highly doubt Humphreys or anyone else could learn a new position this late in the season. Look at how long it has taken Collins to adequately play third base.

Todd4State
05-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Well one more injury and someone will have to be moved. We will have no choice. And yes, all those times I've watched Hump play 2nd base in games he has looked terrible.*** Collins has no range and makes lots of fielding errors and we are living with that at 3rd but we can't in the middle of the infield. I have no real idea if Hump can play middle infield at this point in his career or not but he came to us as an infielder, not an outfielder. You can watch Humphreys in the OF and tell he's not all that comfortable out there. He looked totally lost trying to field that ball on the track this past Thursday night at Bama. Could have cost us big time.

Playing SS is a whole hell of a lot harder than playing left field.

This is a non issue. Cohen is going to go with Holland and if something happens we'll go with LA and hope for the best. He's not having surgery until after the season.

maroonmania
05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Playing SS is a whole hell of a lot harder than playing left field.

This is a non issue. Cohen is going to go with Holland and if something happens we'll go with LA and hope for the best. He's not having surgery until after the season.

Well first, I was suggesting Hump at 2nd not at SS but I understand the point. However, while I understand middle infield is a much more difficult defensive job than LF, if I just stuck Gridley out in LF he probably would not do all that well himself. Playing outfield requires its own special set of skills as well. Its pretty obvious right now that Hump is not a natural outfielder but even with that, maybe it is still his best position. I had always heard that he was moved to LF and taken out of his more natural INF position to protect his arm which he had had surgery on but now that he is back pitching that is a dead issue. But if you saw him in HS I will defer to your opinion that he is not an SEC middle infielder because I've only seen him play 3rd a couple of times early this year. Now I will say when I saw him at 3rd I actually thought he was a little better there than Collins was although Collins has significantly improved since early in the year. Hopefully Gridley and Holland will stay healthy and it won't be an issue we have to deal with.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 09:21 AM
As is, Id catch Kruger and DH Rooker for Holland at 2b. I don't think we'll see any major changes in the INF even if Holland gets hurt. As someone else said I think we'll just stick LA out there and hope for the best.

engie
05-03-2016, 09:31 AM
As is, Id catch Kruger and DH Rooker for Holland at 2b. I don't think we'll see any major changes in the INF even if Holland gets hurt. As someone else said I think we'll just stick LA out there and hope for the best.

Bet Dakota Hudson will smash getting his first ABs in 3 years...

HoopsDawg
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM

LOL

maroonmania
05-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Personally not convinced that LA's hand is healthy enough to play for long stretches.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 09:39 AM

yeah didnt think that one all the way through. LOL. Rep added.

Coldsleeve Jr.
05-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Personally not convinced that LA's hand is healthy enough to play for long stretches.

Im not either. Cohen would prob rather just disturb 1 position (2b) rather than multiple. If LA needs surgery and they're waiting until after the season, we must be hoping he can contribute with injury.