PDA

View Full Version : Newman invited to NBA Combine

ScoobaDawg
04-30-2016, 07:00 PM
per Jeff Goodman twitter

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 8m8 minutes ago
Mississippi State?s Malik Newman has been invited to the NBA combine, source told ESPN.

msstate7
04-30-2016, 07:00 PM
He gone

whosyourdawgy
04-30-2016, 07:02 PM
I thought we already knew that he was going to the camp to test the waters. What's new here?

ScoobaDawg
04-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Just found a SI story breaking down if he should stay or go. They say he should come back
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/29/malik-newman-nba-draft-mississippi-state-bulldogs

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Gary Parrish had some good info on this last week. He said there will be just over 100 college players declaring early. There will be about 160 if you count seniors and foreigners. There is only 60 draft picks.

However he went on to say foreign teams and agents will be recruiting this pool hard as well. "What do you want to do next year? Biology II? Or play basketball for $80,000?" The agents work on them hard to sign an overseas contract, supposedly.

maroonmania
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Gary Parrish had some good info on this last week. He said there will be just over 100 college players declaring early. There will be about 160 if you count seniors and foreigners. There is only 60 draft picks.

However he went on to say foreign teams and agents will be recruiting this pool hard as well. "What do you want to do next year? Biology II? Or play basketball for $80,000?" The agents work on them hard to sign an overseas contract, supposedly.

Yep, and harder for a guy like Malik to accept staying in school when he has been hearing he is a pro since he was a Sophomore in HS.

State82
04-30-2016, 07:50 PM
A

I'll take $80,000 for 3 years, Alex.

dawgoneyall
04-30-2016, 08:14 PM
per Jeff Goodman twitter

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 8m8 minutes ago
Mississippi State?s Malik Newman has been invited to the NBA combine, source told ESPN.

Another who is about to make a mistake.

MarketingBully
04-30-2016, 08:38 PM
He should rephrase that and say $80K next year or millions if you wait one more year. If he isn't a first round draft pick and he stays in the draft, it's a mistake. You have to look at it long term and not short term. Going over seas would be stupid. With that said, he will come back if he isn't guaranteed being a first round pick.

dawgoneyall
04-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Umm.Umm.....

tireddawg
04-30-2016, 09:11 PM
I've always maintained that Malik is gone. I'll gladly eat crow if he stays but I just don't see it happening. I have no inside source or knowledge of the situation. My opinion is based on his recruitment, things said & he just didn't look like college was for him

Bully13
04-30-2016, 09:35 PM
I thought we already knew that he was going to the camp to test the waters. What's new here?

This. It's been discussed before. We've known he's gonna try out for a while. Malik will try out, evaluate the feedback then decide.

ScoobaDawg
04-30-2016, 09:48 PM

Not the same.. being invited to the Combine is different. Only 60 or so players get invited
"The invitation list is determined by a vote of the member teams of the NBA."

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2016, 10:39 PM
The full text of the conversation was....that Vernon asked Parrish why that many would stay in the draft knowing their odds were against them to be drafted. Parrish then mentioned the agents get in their ear and convince them to take an overseas contract.and.convince them they can come back to the NBA.

He didn't say he agreed or disagreed but that was the reality of the situation.