PDA

View Full Version : I heard a national guy describe OM perfectly yesterday

Coach34
04-30-2016, 12:02 PM
And I completely agree:

What OM fans dont realize is that nobody outside of Oxford, Miss views OM as some type of school that would attract top talent. To many people- OM suddenly signing all this top talent would be the equivalent to Purdue doing the same. And unless they are blatantly cheating- Purdue is never going to attract top talent.

Reason2succeed
04-30-2016, 12:08 PM
OM needs to be careful that they don't show their delusion to the entire world. If everyone realizes what their SEC brethren already it could be catastrophic for them. Imagine a school whose alums people are scared to hire because of a perception that they lack a grasp on reality.

ckDOG
04-30-2016, 12:12 PM
And I completely agree:

What OM fans dont realize is that nobody outside of Oxford, Miss views OM as some type of school that would attract top talent. To many people- OM suddenly signing all this top talent would be the equivalent to Purdue doing the same. And unless they are blatantly cheating- Purdue is never going to attract top talent.

Plus everybody outside of SEC country HATES the conference and thinks we get special protections. They know ole miss picking up their classes is bullshit and they can't wait for an SEC program to get nailed.

They bit off more than they can chew and it's glorious.

HSVDawg
04-30-2016, 12:34 PM
And I completely agree:

I agree in principle, but I don't really think Purdue is a valid comparison. OM is head and shoulders above them in program stature, as are we. The biggest thing isn't that they attracted the top talent, but how quickly they did so. A better comparison would be Clemson, which is another small school in a small rural town that also has accumulated some elite talent recently. However, Clemson slowly built up their brand and went from mediocre to elite recruiting over the course of about 6 or 7 years, not just one offseason. Is Clemson also cheating? You bet your ass they are, but they were smart about it and didn't start pissing in everyone's Cheerios in a 3 state radius in one recruiting cycle.

Coach34
04-30-2016, 12:49 PM
I agree in principle, but I don't really think Purdue is a valid comparison. OM is head and shoulders above them in program stature, as are we. .

Totally disagree. Not to the rest of the country we arent. In our SEC bubble we are. We are awful from 2001-2009 and people still remember that

Clemson has a NC belt and a few NYD bowls. That just happened to us recently

LC Dawg
04-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Totally disagree. Not to the rest of the country we arent. In our SEC bubble we are. We are awful from 2001-2009 and people still remember that

This is true. I think most of our fans understand this but no Ole Miss fans do. When we rose to #1 we were kind of a feel good story across the country because we had been bad for so long and we were beating programs the rest of the country hated to get to #1. We also did it with a lot of players that no one wanted, not with a highly publicized class that was obviously paid for. Ole Miss had a little bit of this feel good going for them because they promote themselves so well but the difference is they were hated in SEC circles because of the way they were going about it and flaunting it in everyone's face. Now the rest of the country is getting clued in to what we have all known for a long time.

HSVDawg
04-30-2016, 01:09 PM

So you don't remember Ole Miss going to back to back Cotton Bowls before the recruiting machine even kicked into high gear? Or us winning the West and winning 10 games in 98 and 99? When is the last time Purdue accomplished anything close to that? Shit, even when Brees was there they were a perreniel 7-4 / 8-3 team. I'm not saying I disagree with your point, just that Purdue is an awful comparison. And any college football fan inside MS or outside that thinks they have been on equal footing with State or OM in the past decade just flat out isn't paying attention.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2016, 01:10 PM
If we started signing the best players at every position getting a top 5 class, I would think we were cheating unless all the players were from MS, TN, LA, AL. We start getting guys from California and Michigan it would make you wonder.

HailState39110
04-30-2016, 01:16 PM
I've had the opportunity to speak to a few Ole Miss fans since Thursday night and all of them are very very concerned . They all now know what the rest of us have known the past 3 years , and that is their program is a house of cards .

This is the most concerning thing about trying to keep Freeze and staff in tact , is that no one (even the local media and their own damn fanbase ) can take them seriously anymore

It's over

jbjones
04-30-2016, 01:21 PM
It's over

I think so as well. It's kind of like fmbdawg17's hitler video...."They lost the day". Except it's no joke this time.

And I'm loving every second of it.

BulldogBear
04-30-2016, 01:44 PM
So you don't remember Ole Miss going to back to back Cotton Bowls before the recruiting machine even kicked into high gear? Or us winning the West and winning 10 games in 98 and 99? When is the last time Purdue accomplished anything close to that? Shit, even when Brees was there they were a perreniel 7-4 / 8-3 team. I'm not saying I disagree with your point, just that Purdue is an awful comparison. And any college football fan inside MS or outside that thinks they have been on equal footing with State or OM in the past decade just flat out isn't paying attention.

Mid tier B1G schools don't compare to mid tier SEC schools. That's true but that's not was he was saying. He was making the comparison to a school that was about the same place in their respective conferences' traditional (in last 30-40 years) hierarchy. It would be like Purdue or Minnesota very suddenly (too suddenly) landing recruits like they were Ohio State. Similar comparisons would be:

Oregon State - Pac 12

Duke/WF - ACC

Iowa State or Texas Tech - Big 12

These programs, like us, may find ways to do more with less but it would be bizarre for them to be suddenly reeling in recruits like they were USCw, OU, or the Seminoles.

DownwardDawg
04-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Back to back cotton bowls at 8-4. 8-4 don't sniff a cotton bowl today.

Spiderman
04-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Back to back cotton bowls at 8-4. 8-4 don't sniff a cotton bowl today.

9-3 also didn't used to sniff Sugar Bowls.

Things fall in place for those bastards

BossDawg
04-30-2016, 02:09 PM
I've had the opportunity to speak to a few Ole Miss fans since Thursday night and all of them are very very concerned . They all now know what the rest of us have known the past 3 years , and that is their program is a house of cards .

Good. They deserve every piece of humble pie they're forced to eat. Those delusional bastards have been flapping their gums entirely too long and their pride and desperation have come full circle.

HSVDawg
04-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Mid tier B1G schools don't compare to mid tier SEC schools. That's true but that's not was he was saying. He was making the comparison to a school that was about the same place in their respective conferences' traditional (in last 30-40 years) hierarchy. It would be like Purdue or Minnesota very suddenly (too suddenly) landing recruits like they were Ohio State. Similar comparisons would be:

Oregon State - Pac 12

Duke/WF - ACC

Iowa State or Texas Tech - Big 12

These programs, like us, may find ways to do more with less but it would be bizarre for them to be suddenly reeling in recruits like they were USCw, OU, or the Seminoles.

I think Vandy or UK are better comparisons to all those teams you mentioned. Big difference between mid tier and a cellar dweller, which is what Purdue is.

Bodaski
04-30-2016, 03:17 PM

Here is my issue with the 2 cotton bowls. Nutt took advantage of the Oregeron/ David Sanders/Freeze shenanigans prior to his arrival.

Coach34
04-30-2016, 03:32 PM
I think Vandy or UK are better comparisons to all those teams you mentioned. Big difference between mid tier and a cellar dweller, which is what Purdue is.

Purdue won the Conference title in 2000

None of us have have won the SEC.

Purdue has been to 9 bowl games since 2000
State has been to 9 bowl games
OM to has been to 9 bowl games

It's a very valid comparision. While we may think a State-OM should be like Clemson- people around the country do not. aGAIN- this guy is stating on how the rest of the country views OM. Nobody looks at them as being relevant or able to bring in top talent without cheating. Hell, Peyton Manning wouldnt even go there cause they sucked.

bulldawg28
04-30-2016, 05:59 PM

It's a very valid comparision. While we may think a State-OM should be like Clemson- people around the country do not. aGAIN- this guy is stating on how the rest of the country views OM. Nobody looks at them as being relevant or able to bring in top talent without cheating. Hell, Peyton Manning wouldnt even go there cause they sucked.

Great comparison. Purdue had Drew Brees Ole Miss had Eli.

Coach34
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
exactly- its the perfect comparision

Harrydawg
04-30-2016, 08:45 PM
9-3 also didn't used to sniff Sugar Bowls.

Things fall in place for those bastards

This, the Sugar Bowl is not the Sugar Bowl since the BCS........it's just a nice bowl now, same as Orange

HSVDawg
04-30-2016, 09:07 PM

I never said Ole Miss or State should be like Clemson. I just threw that out as an example of what it normally looks like when a longstanding mediocre team starts to accumulate elite talent. It's a gradual process over several years of incremental improvements in recruiting, not an overnight sensation like what happened at Ole Miss. And even when done correctly, it isn't easy or necessarily repeatable in other places. If Ole Miss had a top 20 class in 2013 instead of a top 5 class, followed by a few top 15 classes in 2014 - 2016, then maybe broke through with a class like they had in '13 in '17, nobody would have batted an eyelash. And yes, I realize Clemson won a NC in the early 80's, but they were very much an also-ran program in the ACC for over 2 decades afterwards until Dabo started building them into a contender.

However, I did not realize Purdue had won the Big 10 although I don't really equate that to an SEC title. But I'll concede your point that it was a more fair comparison than I originally assumed.