PDA

View Full Version : Looking at it now Chris Jones...

miketice
04-30-2016, 07:26 AM
should have stayed. He cost himself millions. The DT depth in this draft was stupid deep. It's not like he's gonna be poor. But there is not a doubt in my mind he would be top ten next year. And the NCAA/Brackey (sp?) fckd Redmond as bad as I have ever seen.

Reason2succeed
04-30-2016, 07:31 AM
No use looking at that now. Plus it's always easy to say that a guy should have stayed from the outside in. Conventional wisdom is that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. You never know what would have happened had he stayed another year: injury, legal problem, no change in his play or draft status. Mullen knows what he is doing. As great as these players are there a more players coming out of high school or sitting on our bench that want playing time so the more guys you can send to the draft early the better. I love wish him well.

Churchill
04-30-2016, 07:39 AM
I think some of these guys mentally commit to the draft well before they announce it. When they do this at least some start to let their class work slide to the point that they would have to become academically eligible all over to play another year. Not saying that`s the case with Jones but you never know.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Also the rookie contracts aren't as big as they used to be. The faster he gets to his 2nd contract the better.

He probably could have been a top 10 or even top 5 but we also just watched Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack go in the 2nd when both should have been top 3 without the injury.

maroonmania
04-30-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm Ok with Jones' decision though because at least he was picked reasonably high. You never know what kind of injury or whatever could have happened that would impact him negatively next year. The real despair for me is over losing 2 guys early that could have really helped us this Fall that may not even get drafted. And of course that's Bear Wilson and Benni Brown. Don't mind losing guys that have a good reason to go early and get draft grades that justify departing but those 2 guys definitely should have finished out their college careers.

Coach34
04-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Disagree- Redmond stayed and cost himself because of his ACL- Redmond comes out after 2014- he is guaranteed 2nd round and maybe gets in the end of the 1st with a great Combine and workouts.

Jones gets hurt and he is ****ed. It's all a calculated gamble

Percho
04-30-2016, 09:57 AM
When do you establish yourself as a great player worth millions and shut it down as to not get injured? Second year in the crib, sixth grade, sophomore, senior, freshman year of college. When do you decide; It's all about the money!

miketice
04-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Disagree- Redmond stayed and cost himself because of his ACL- Redmond comes out after 2014- he is guaranteed 2nd round and maybe gets in the end of the 1st with a great Combine and workouts.

Jones gets hurt and he is ****ed. It's all a calculated gamble

I'm not saying there wouldn't have been a risk. But the reward would have been MILLIONS.15.62 million projected for #10 pick this year (more next year I'm sure).And he would have been insured with Lloyds in case of injury without a doubt. Plus he would have a degree. As for getting to the next contract...He could wreck himself in the NFL this year and never see it. But he's in now and he's going to be rich so it worked out for him. Great bulldog.