PDA

View Full Version : This unfortunate tibit got lost in the headlines...

fmbdawg17
04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
On Wednesday, the NCAA approved a ban on postseason events in Mississippi based on HB1523. Unlike the state flag ban, this particular ban would apply to non-predetermined postseason events, such as baseball regionals and the basketball tournament. The particular Mississippi school selected for hosting would have to prove that it is "an inclusive and welcoming environment towards diversity" before they could move ahead with hosting.

Thoughts?

MadDawg
04-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Must be nice to be able to withhold services from those with whom you disagree.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?43017-Not-a-politcal-post

Irondawg
Well it would be a bit hard for a university to prove they weren't welcoming diversity in my opion. A college campus is about the most diverse place you can find and certainly aren't applying HB1523 to anything they do. So it may be much to do about nothing

Irondawg
04-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Must be nice to be able to withhold services from those with whom you disagree.

I've always found it a bit ironic how that works

It_Could_Happen
04-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Don't know if this helps but a few days ago the SA/Student Sentate approved a bill basically stating that MSU itself doesn't agree with the bill and I guess saying we won't honor it maybe? Not really sure what it meant but it's on the reflector Twitter page if you want to read about it

dawgoneyall
04-29-2016, 03:31 PM
On Wednesday, the NCAA approved a ban on postseason events in Mississippi based on HB1523. Unlike the state flag ban, this particular ban would apply to non-predetermined postseason events, such as baseball regionals and the basketball tournament. The particular Mississippi school selected for hosting would have to prove that it is "an inclusive and welcoming environment towards diversity" before they could move ahead with hosting.

Thoughts?

I think MSU allows anyone who wants to pee to pee. Maybe I missed where the LGBT group wasn"t allowed to pee.

maroonmania
04-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Forgetting the merits of HB1523 or lack thereof, its utterly ridiculous that the NCAA punishes member institutions because of something a state government does. And apparently these bans only happen if you aren't liberal enough. What would the reaction be if the NCAA banned postseason events in Colorado because they legalized pot?

MarcoRubio
04-29-2016, 03:43 PM
bulllshit. The NCAA needs to stay out of politics. None of their business. These are complex issues outside of the control of the member schools.

Beside the fact that this whole thing has been blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. EVERYBODY has rights. Your rights end where mine begin. No one, government, activists, angry mobs, universities, etc should be allowed to force one individual to do anything that's outside of their personal beliefs for another individual.

A green peace hippie bake shop shouldn't have to bake a company cake for Exxon Mobil.

An elderly black photographer shouldn't have to take pics at a skinhead rally.

Glen shouldn't have to provide delivery service for Negan.

A rabbi shouldn't have to marry an Islamic couple.

Rosie O'Donnell shouldn't have to host Donald Trump.

This is a free country. Not sure how people can justify forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to (other than pay taxes). If any of the above happens, the market will take care of it...no need for the government to get involved. The sad part is that a law has to be passed to protect common sense.

dawgoneyall
04-29-2016, 03:43 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?43017-Not-a-politcal-post

This is absolutely sports related. Not even close.