PDA

View Full Version : I guess all you know it alls on our offensive line woes need to read this...

99jc
04-28-2016, 02:21 PM
ESPN doesn't think we are near as bad as many think. Ranking SEC offensive lines...........

7. Mississippi State: The Bulldogs are in good shape on the interior, with seniors Jamaal Clayborn and Devon Desper returning at center and right guard, respectively. Both started all last season. Justin Senior moved from right tackle to left tackle while the team plugged in new starters at left guard and right tackle, the one spot that seems most up for grabs going into the fall.

GreenheadDawg
04-28-2016, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what ESPN says. They probably thought they were discussing OM

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-28-2016, 02:27 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v_CgPsGY5Mw/hqdefault.jpg

Jack Lambert
04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what ESPN says. They probably thought they were discussing OM

I think Ole Miss will be in worse shape then us.

Coach34
04-28-2016, 02:36 PM
If we have the 7th best OL in the SEC we'll Win 9 games

Obviously I disagree with that assessment

thf24
04-28-2016, 02:40 PM
ESPN puts way too much stock in returning starters and number of starts. That said, I have a feeling we won't be as bad on the o-line as many think. Not great, but not as bad as last year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-28-2016, 02:44 PM
A little off topic, but what would it take for you (anyone) to think we have a good offensive line? We know our QB play is going to drop off, so I expect there to be more turnovers and sacks. I expect the running game to improve, but that may have more to do with maturity and better talent at the RB position.

Johnson85
04-28-2016, 02:44 PM
ESPN doesn't think we are near as bad as many think. Ranking SEC offensive lines...........

7. Mississippi State: The Bulldogs are in good shape on the interior, with seniors Jamaal Clayborn and Devon Desper returning at center and right guard, respectively. Both started all last season. Justin Senior moved from right tackle to left tackle while the team plugged in new starters at left guard and right tackle, the one spot that seems most up for grabs going into the fall.

Not to bash anybody, but citing Desper being back as a strong point doesn't seem like a good sign. I'm glad Desper is coming back, for us to get to 8 or more wins, Desper needs to be our weak spot on the line, not one of the strong parts. Now if Calhoun comes in better than Desper, and Jenkins or Rankin is better than Senior, then I'll feel like our Oline will be good enough to beat all but the elite D's, which I presume this year in the West would be LSU and Bama. Throw in simply getting outscored by a team or maybe two and that would get us 8 or 9 regular season wins.

Johnson85
04-28-2016, 02:46 PM
ESPN puts way too much stock in returning starters and number of starts. That said, I have a feeling we won't be as bad on the o-line as many think. Not great, but not as bad as last year.

I don't think we'll be any worse than last year, but I think Dak hid how bad we were on the line last year. We need Rankin or Jenkins to be better than Warren (I think this is likely) and Calhoun to be better than Malone (I think this is less likely, or he probably would have passed Desper last year) just for us to not slide back considerably.

MafiaDawg
04-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Calhoun should be better than Malone was. I was never impressed with Malone. He was serviceable at best. You know hev and Dan love playing upperclassman over younger more talented players.

PassInterference
04-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Preseason analysis = crootin stars + returning players.

They were wrong last year and they were wrong this year.

Johnson85
04-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Calhoun should be better than Malone was. I was never impressed with Malone. He was serviceable at best. You know hev and Dan love playing upperclassman over younger more talented players.

He certainly was disappointing last year, but he was still one of our better linemen for the last two years.

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2016, 03:45 PM

This. We found out last year that didn't mean jack shit. Desper sucks, and as long as he's starting/playing a majority of snaps, we're going to suck on the OL. We gotta get physical and mean up front - Desper ain't either of those.

gravedigger
04-28-2016, 04:00 PM
This. We found out last year that didn't mean jack shit. Desper sucks asshole, and as long as he's starting/playing a majority of snaps, we're going to suck on the OL. We gotta get physical and mean up front - Desper ain't either of those.

worst. Poster. Ever. And its not close.

BossDawg
04-28-2016, 04:09 PM
I'm hoping that with the dual-threat depth we have at quarterback and no senior QB that Mullen is trying to protect for the NFL that the QBs will be cut loose to do their thing this year. Hopefully Mullen will open things up more and get the QB's legs involved. That should help out the line, too.

I'm no football guru though, so that might be a dumb pipe dream.

RocketDawg
04-28-2016, 05:25 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v_CgPsGY5Mw/hqdefault.jpg

Bone jure.

JagDawg
04-28-2016, 05:47 PM
nevermind. Hard not to let things be personal

gravedigger
04-28-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm hoping that with the dual-threat depth we have at quarterback and no senior QB that Mullen is trying to protect for the NFL that the QBs will be cut loose to do their thing this year. Hopefully Mullen will open things up more and get the QB's legs involved. That should help out the line, too.

I'm no football guru though, so that might be a dumb pipe dream.

I think that is exactly what the will do.