PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen criticism

messageboardsuperhero
04-28-2016, 10:42 AM
One of the biggest criticisms Cohen has had recently is his bad record against rivals LSU and UM- which was a justified issue.

This year we finished 5-2 against those teams. Credit where it is due- we beat up on our baseball rivals pretty well in 2016.

BrunswickDawg
04-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Only reason we are winning is those teams are having down years.** #movinggoalpost

Tbonewannabe
04-28-2016, 11:22 AM
As horrible as we were last year, we have made a 180. Cohen for the most part is not making many mistakes in his calls. I think he knew his team wasn't built for the new ball last year and tried to overmanage. We almost have an entirely new team this year. We had a rough start with our pitching but I attribute most of that to Wes coming in so late he didn't know what his pitching staff could do. We also gave a lot of freshmen a chance to see what they could do.

I don't see how Cohen isn't a National Coach of the Year candidate.

maroonmania
04-28-2016, 11:28 AM
One of the biggest criticisms Cohen has had recently is his bad record against rivals LSU and UM- which was a justified issue.

This year we finished 5-2 against those teams. Credit where it is due- we beat up on our baseball rivals pretty well in 2016.

Well for all the John Cohen micromanaging and everything else, the main reason Cohen has not beaten those teams a lot in the past is that they have just had more good baseball players than us. I do believe that is slowly turning around though and this past year's recruiting class has raised our overall talent level significantly.

Tbonewannabe
04-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Well for all the John Cohen micromanaging and everything else, the main reason Cohen has not beaten those teams a lot in the past is that they have just had more good baseball players than us. I do believe that is slowly turning around though and this past year's recruiting class has raised our overall talent level significantly.

Cohen is actually recruiting at a high level now. Hopefully we have a great run in the CWS this year and get great momentum going for the next decade. We get the Carnegie Hall of Baseball built and things will definitely be going in the right direction.

HoopsDawg
04-28-2016, 11:37 AM

We also haven't started 40 different lineups this year which is nice. He also has bunted a little less especially early in games. We still get too many guys cut down on the bases but no one is perfect.

engie
04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
So people still have carts pulling horses on the "tinkering" issue?

If your car is running bad -- are you just going to leave it alone and hope it gets better?

Of course he's going to tinker more when we suck and less when we are really good. That's how it works. Cohen's screwing around isn't the cause for sucking -- it's the effect from it.

Coach34
04-28-2016, 12:04 PM
We've slowed down on all the bunting- that's been a great fix by him. He still can't help himself sometimes- but it's better

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2016, 12:06 PM

Yep. Still not happy we didn't sweep Northern Miss, but 5-2 is damn good. It's nice to kick the ass of both our baseball rivals. LSU even moreso than Northern Miss, imo. Hopefully we're starting a new trend against LSU. Losing 20 of the last 30 series against them is awful.

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2016, 12:08 PM
We also haven't started 40 different lineups this year which is nice. He also has bunted a little less especially early in games. We still get too many guys cut down on the bases but no one is perfect.

It still blows my mind we went 82 games in a row without the same lineup. Cohen has definitely "let 'em play" more this season, though. Props to him for that.

AlSwearengen
04-28-2016, 12:12 PM
I am liking what I am seeing lately. Hopefully our talent level continues to improve and he doesn't feel the need to play outside of the box so often.

The biggest thing to me is a pretty consistent lineup.

Taog Redloh
04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
It still blows my mind we went 82 games in a row without the same lineup. Cohen has definitely "let 'em play" more this season, though. Props to him for that.

Do you all still not realize that we simply have better players this year, and a core that has risen above the others? We did not have that last year, thus the tinkering.

Taog Redloh
04-28-2016, 12:34 PM

If your car is running bad -- are you just going to leave it alone and hope it gets better?

Of course he's going to tinker more when we suck and less when we are really good. That's how it works. Cohen's screwing around isn't the cause for sucking -- it's the effect from it.

No, they really don't realize it. Still amazes me.

Coach34
04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Well- to be honest- we never use the same line up 2 games in a row

shoeless joe
04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
No, they really don't realize it. Still amazes me.

It's not a question of realizing anything.

A lot of big baseball folks at MSU don't like Cohen because they heard somebody more important than them say they don't like Cohen. They were vocal and felt justified early on. Then when succes came they had to find something to latch on to. And then with a falter last season they feel justified again.

Thats really is all there is to it. Mob mentality. It's quite funny when someone I know wants to talk baseball and they spout ED talking points because that's all they've got.

BiscuitEater
04-28-2016, 12:49 PM
There are ZERO perfect coaches. We and everyone else, gets the GOOD with the BAD (or, what WE wish would change about him)

You either have to learn to live with what that coach .. or get another coach. Have read roughly 1.5M posts on MSU boards cussing, fussing and bitc**ng .. demanding Mullen "to fire Hevesy." Looks like as long as Dan is around, MSU is gonna have Hevesy around.

Same with Cohen. He's going to tinker. He is going to bunt when Coach34 thinks he shouldn't. As long as he is the HC, he gets to make those decisions.

BiscuitEater
04-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Thats really is all there is to it. Mob mentality.

I like going back to re-read those posts .. These posts are after the THIRD game of the 55 game season on 20 Feb ..

No Mora Excuses

Cohen sucks. That's all there is to it.

At least there's no false hope with this team... We suck

Way to ruin an otherwise good weekend. I freaking hate Cohen ball.

Welp I think we have the inverse Mullen here. Cohen can recruit but is a terrible coach apparently. Has no idea how to field a competent team

If we can't beat FAU, it's going to be a long season in the SEC.

We can hope and spin all we want, but we've already seen enough through 3 games to come to this conclusion... Oh no, we suck again!!

But one of my very favorites is from the VERY first inning of the VERY first SEC game against Vandy. Coach34 starts this thread .. 03-18-2016

I want Cohen fired

Leadoff double in the 1st ******* inning and we then ask our best hitter to bunt- IN THE 1st INNING

He should be fired before the 2nd inning starts. Hoooooo-leeeeee-shit

Taog Redloh
04-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Ouch....there is some lose in that post......lololololzzz

HoopsDawg
04-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Ouch....there is some lose in that post......lololololzzz

I'll defend Coach34 here, taking quotes out of game threads is a little unfair. Those are spur of the moment, emotional posts.

Taog Redloh
04-28-2016, 02:16 PM
I'll defend Coach34 here, taking quotes out of game threads is a little unfair. Those are spur of the moment, emotional posts.

Yeah I can go with that......the whole point of those threads is to be emotional in one place without it spewed all over the board.

confucius say
04-28-2016, 02:30 PM

I agree. Game threads get crazy and people vent. But I did ask him three weeks ago if he still wanted Cohen fired and he said yes regardless of how this year turns out. Interesting.

bulldogcountry1
04-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Sometimes a car runs bad BECAUSE of the mechanic.

engie
04-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Thats really is all there is to it. Mob mentality. It's quite funny when someone I know wants to talk baseball and they spout ED talking points because that's all they've got.

I find it difficult to really discuss baseball in general. I get better viewpoints from "OM fans"(that learned the game from the same place I did) than I do from all but a handful of State fans online that prettymuch all know who they are. A couple really good perspectives. A whole lot of crap to wade through. No one probably remembers me giving the perspective of a (now former) OM coach on our team saying that he thought we could be really good next(this) year though...

Want some solid gold -- scroll to about page 370(right after the OM sweep) and go to reading threads.

engie
04-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Sometimes a car runs bad BECAUSE of the mechanic.

If it was running correctly -- it never goes to the mechanic in the first place. So, at worst, the mechanic failed to fix a problem that was already present.

If the mechanic was the chief car builder for whoever came in 2nd in NASCAR points 3 seasons ago -- on a very disadvantaged team -- that mechanic gets the benefit of the doubt if the first thing he fixes on the car doesn't correct the problem.

Virgil Caine
04-28-2016, 02:55 PM
I assume this point has already been made, but MLB managers consistently use >81. Tony La Russa averaged >100. Using different lineups all of the time is commonplace.

MSUDawg99
04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Do you all still not realize that we simply have better players this year, and a core that has risen above the others? We did not have that last year, thus the tinkering.

I think I agree with this. A good point was brought up by Carskadon this a.m. on BSR...some meals require a lot of tinkering to make them taste good but when you have a Grade A select cut piece of steak then it doesn't require a lot of tinkering cause it's already good for most part by itself...thus less tinkering. The players we had last year weren't that great out of the gate. This years team bodes with confidence & athletic ability. When pitchers require a talk or pitching change, Cohen is letting Wes Johnson do that by himself. Wasn't like that in years past. Guess there was some lack of trust or micro-managing. Yes Coach Johnson was hired late in the process cause Butch Thompson was hired on to AUB late in the process but I think things are moving along nicely with our pitching staff. Be interesting what he can do with these current Freshman pitchers in years to come when he has a full off season to work with them.

Coach34
04-28-2016, 03:29 PM
If he was still bunting in the 1st inning- I'd still want him fired

We've gotten a lot better since we stopped that shit

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2016, 03:37 PM

Hey dumbass, that 82 game stretch spanned a full season and a half. It included the 2014 team, which had a large portion of the '13 team back. Like it or not, there's a reason it's called #Cohening. We can chicken and egg this shit to death, but all that really matters is Cohen has managed to keep himself out of the way more this season and we're playing better.

engie
04-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Here you go again with the "winning in spite of the coach1!!1" bs...

Taog Redloh
04-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Hey dumbass, that 82 game stretch spanned a full season and a half. It included the 2014 team, which had a large portion of the '13 team back. Like it or not, there's a reason it's called #Cohening. We can chicken and egg this shit to death, but all that really matters is Cohen has managed to keep himself out of the way more this season and we're playing better.

Terrible retort. You should have just kept quiet.

Last time I checked, the hitting sucked in 2014 too. The guys who were supposed to rise up and lead (Rea and Detz) slipped on a banana peel.

You have NO point. We all know he tinkered with the lineup. Not sure what else you are trying to prove, except that you are a loud-mouthed fool who refuses to admit/accept when he's wrong.

MarketingBully
04-28-2016, 04:34 PM
My end goal in baseball is win a national championship. Cohen got us to the championship series in 2013. If he can get us a National Seed this year and make it to CWS, I am all for keeping him and letting him continue to build off this freshman class. I think when these freshmen are juniors (if he continues to recruit at a high level), we will have at least one national title and then all of this arguing will be moot. For all the bitching any of us fans do (including me), if Cohen led us to a national title we would no longer bitch at all.

engie
04-28-2016, 05:25 PM
If Cohen led us to a national title we would no longer bitch at all.
A title wouldn't even buy him a full year on here. Probably would buy him 2-3 bad losses...

Dawg61
04-28-2016, 06:04 PM
A title wouldn't even buy him a full year on here. Probably would buy him 2-3 bad losses...

Engie stop being a douche. I know that's an impossible request though. Cohen was awful last year and the beginning of this year. His players are winning DESPITE him. We are a much better team when Cohen passes out on ambient during the entire game.

engie
04-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Engie stop being a douche. I know that's an impossible request though
Is this similar to asking you to stop being an idiot?

Cohen was awful last year and the beginning of this year. His players are winning DESPITE him. We are a much better team when Cohen passes out on ambient during the entire game.
Echoing a position I literally just mocked 2 posts ago -- while pretending my next post was outlandish -- yet being too stupid to realize that you are actually proving it true.

What's the dubmass coach that was supposed to miss the tournament and be fired this year ranked again? Hell, we had people ready to fire him for the aTm series -- when he didn't even manage to fall out of the top 10.

Dawg61
04-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Cohen's team is no doubt saving his bacon for him this year. When they stop whenever that is. He goneeeeee

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Here you go again with the "winning in spite of the coach1!!1" bs...

No, we actually aren't winning in spite of him. He went out and got some guys who can play and has mostly turned them loose. That's called "improvement" and he's earned the credit for it. And the evidence is all right in front of your damn eyes that he's #meddling less this season and we're playing better. But every time he inserts himself into the game by #meddling, it goes to shit. Let's just look back to Wednesday when he managed to take the bat out of Mangum's hands because he bunted Gridley to get to Stovall. But he's pushed the right buttons to get Ws and deserves the credit for that.