PDA

View Full Version : What are some cues you will look for in the Oklahoma State game

cheewgumm
08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
that will make you say

A) "Ok, things are gonna be alright"?

or

2) "Oh no, we're in trouble."?

Mine:

Things gonna be alright - - Everything for me centers around our OL. If we can run, and it looks like our OL is in good shape and can establish a running game, I'll feel like things are gonna be ok.

Oh no - If we can't run, I'll be worried. Also, if all our pass patterns are 10 yrds...I'll also worry.

Belegal
08-16-2013, 06:03 PM
The score

BossDawg
08-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I wanna see some damn fire and motivation from the players. I wanna see them attack the ball on defense, cut the "finesse" out on offense and just go apeshit. And when the going gets tough, I damn sure don't want to see Dan Mullen looking like a falcon just snatched up his new puppy either.

NorCalDawg
08-16-2013, 06:10 PM
I will go with that and add:

Things gonna be alright - consistent pressure on opposing teams QB and DL stuffing the run.

Oh no! - secondary getting torched with the big play.

Political Hack
08-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Great: We control the LOS on both sides. It's the only way we win.

Uh oh: Our offense can't run the ball.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-16-2013, 06:11 PM
1. If We can convert 3rd downs on offense and Our D line actually comes off the ball low and causes disruption.
2. If we have a stupid penalty that keeps a drive alive for them early in the game and they score or an early TO from Russell.

NorCalDawg
08-16-2013, 06:12 PM
" I damn sure don't want to see Dan Mullen looking like a falcon just snatched up his new puppy either."

I laughed.

Ronny
08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
..if we still have last year's pass rush OSU is going to beat us 45-14.

After that, the overall willingness to hit people.

In other words, I will be focused on our defense. There must be drastic improvement if we plan to stay in the game.

If our defense is still playing like girly-men as they did in last year's Egg & Gator bowls, OSU is going to **** us up bad.

I'm not worried about the offense. We have the speed to break some big plays which will keep OSU off balance.

MSUDawg4Life
08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
1. I want to see a defense that is fundamentally sound. Stop the run. Pressure the QB. Wrap up tackles. The hype is cool, but doesn't mean anything if they aren't sound.
2. I want to see us be able to run the ball with authority. Of course, that would mean the OL is playing well.

Having the passing game in sync would be gravy to me at this point. However, if they could also pitch and catch well in the first game I'd feel really good about this season.

HancockCountyDog
08-16-2013, 06:38 PM
If our front four can generate pressure on the QB. If they can we win by 10+.

If they can't, it will be closer, like a lot closer.

Dawgowar
08-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Going well?

I see the OSU Punter on the field kicking at least four times in each half.
I see the OSU QB eating turf.
I see...and mind you this is on the level of the apocalypse - More than one MSU WR go over 100 yards in a single game...free at last! Free at last!

The things I will see if things go badly -
The OSU Kicker hitting five PAT's
My Vette speedometer at 90MPH heading west from Houston in the 3rd quarter. My post game chant of "Why didn't I go to Nebraska thirty years ago?"

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Two things will tell the story:

1. Is our OLine getting push? If so, it should be a good day for the offense.

2. Can we get pressure without having to blitz? If so, it's a good day for the D.

Bottom line, these OOC games are won in the trenches. Other things to watch are turnovers and penalties to stall drives. We can't afford to give OSU's offense extra possessions from sheer stupidity. If we do, they'll run us out of Reliant Stadium.

From a purely game plan standpoint, how physical are we trying to be on offense? If we aren't trying to smash it down their throats with the OL and the run game, then it's time to question Mullen as coach. You've got to physically pound away at these soft Big 12 Ds the way other teams did to us last year. Normally I say that Time of Possession is an overrated stat, but in this game, it's something to keep an eye on as well. The best thing we can do is play keep away from OSUs offense. Honestly, we should bust out the 2010 Florida gameplan. Run, run, run, run, run, run, run. And when we get tired of running, run some more for good measure. Shorten the game, keep the clock moving, try to wear down their D. That's our best shot at winning this game. If we try to get into a track meet and outscore OSU, it'll be a long damn day.

FlabLoser
08-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm looking for our running game. I'm looking for a pass rush. I'm looking for the defense to to make them punt after 3-5 plays a few times during the game.

Based on reports from spring practice, I'm also looking for Russell be his regular self. Getting a little nervous about that.

hacker
08-16-2013, 08:35 PM
lol, I'm going to base it on which team is scoring more touchdowns and kicking more field goals.

RougeDawg
08-16-2013, 08:39 PM
looks like it is bringing pressure, even when it isn't. Bringing and disguising defensive pressure is the key to having a great college defense because college QB's arent seasoned to deal with it. Also want to see us establish the run early, thus setting up play action. Also want to see some quick 3 step drop quick hitter timing passes early (slants, hooks, outs, etc.). Doing these things will allow us to open it up on offense.

My "OH SHIT" thought will come if we play Defense on our heels, letting the offense dictate what happens.

I do not doubt that our offense will score on them. The key to the game is defensive stops and our offense running the ball/clock.

PassInterference
08-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I look for some Rebels to be held out week 1 due to NCAA investigations. If it doesn't happen, I'm holding Flab and Coach34 responsible for ****ing it up.

msstate7
08-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Going well?

I see the OSU Punter on the field kicking at least four times in each half.
I see the OSU QB eating turf.
I see...and mind you this is on the level of the apocalypse - More than one MSU WR go over 100 yards in a single game...free at last! Free at last!

The things I will see if things go badly -
The OSU Kicker hitting five PAT's
My Vette speedometer at 90MPH heading west from Houston in the 3rd quarter. My post game chant of "Why didn't I go to Nebraska thirty years ago?"

I laughed

dawg21
08-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Same here..pass rush was the first thing that popped into my head. Then running the ball as several have stated. I'll say "oh crap" if we get behind more than 14. I hope we have a better "relentless" attitude this year.

Boya
08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Bob Marley- run the ball and then execute play action

Brian devinner- Dline sucks

BHildreth3
08-16-2013, 09:32 PM
2 things for me...

1) Will Tyler come out confident? The last time he played in the bowl game it was awful. We should and better control the clock and speed the game up (keep OSU off the field). If we get into 2nd and 5, 3rd and 4s, things like that, then i think we will be fine.
2) On defense, we can't be scared to bring pressure from all over. It's the first game, their QB needs to get rattled.

The 1st Quarter needs to feel like it's the 4th. WE HAVE TO COME OUT QUICKLY AND HAVE LONG DRIVES THAT END WITH TDS.

dparker
08-16-2013, 09:53 PM
A screen pass.

Seriously, taking a longer view of the season, if we go back to last year's play calling it's going to be a long season. I'll be pumped with a more aggressive defense too.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Going good:

1. We have a successful physical running game

2. We are getting pressure on the QB

3. Tyler playing with confidence, making quick decision, and anticipation.

Going bad:

1. We are a finesse offense

2. We can't stop the run or get pressure on the QB

I obviously hope we win, but if we lose but do the top 3 things well, we will be competitive this season, still possibly go to a bowl, and upset someone good.

The secondary's performance will be more of a benchmark of where we are, but I suspect that unit will improve more than any other unit on our team as the season progresses. A bad showing in the first game won't leave me thinking the season is over.

SallyStansbury
08-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Things will be good if our drives can be sustained until touchdowns. Specifically, less predictability on offensive play calling.

Things will be bad if we see Dan on the sideline screaming into the headphones cussing Koennig, then babble after the game of "players didn't execute, nobody made plays....babble"

Coach 57
08-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Some of you guys who haven't seen this defense in practice are going to be happy. Especially after seeing the front four.

SallyStansbury
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
C57, do you think Boyd was limited last yr more by some zone containment scheme or just being double teamed because the other guys were ineffective? Thanks for your insight.

gravedigger
08-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Things ganna be alright: offense is quick and unpredictable. Qb's make plays.

Oh no: defense cannot get pressure and stop the run

gravedigger
08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Cut the finesse out of the offense. Really. You know sherrill hasn't been our coach for a decade. And what is an apeshit offense. Seriously.

LeakyD
08-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Score first. Digging a hole in tossup games always concerns me. Auburn in 2011 was a game we should've won. Even though we came back and took the lead in the Egg Bowl last year, it was frustrating to watch them score first like they usually do. I say take the ball first if given the opportunity.

engie
08-17-2013, 10:21 AM
C57, do you think Boyd was limited last yr more by some zone containment scheme or just being double teamed because the other guys were ineffective? Thanks for your insight.

He was constantly being doubled -- after having Fletcher draw the double the previous year(and us not having another DT that capitalized on this). The scheme didn't change from 2011 to 2012...

That's why his numbers did this:
2011: 51 tackles, 8TFL, 4.5sacks
2012: 33 tackles, 2.5TFL, 1.5sacks

sleepy dawg
08-17-2013, 10:38 AM
It's really simple for me.

A) We win.

2) We lose.

In my mind, this game could be a make or break on the season. We get a win here, and we are in really good shape heading into the rest of the season. We lose, we will be fighting trying to make a bowl.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-17-2013, 03:22 PM
The Good, Bad & the Ugly

The Good - beast attitude of the '99 defense

The Bad - play like any Croom team ( except maybe 2007)

The Ugly - repeat performance of the '98 OSU game

Coach 57
08-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Actually while both Boyd & Cox were doing there thing in 2011 Boyd commanded a double team and Cox was allowed freedoms to read & penetrate the gaps that he could wreck havok in. After Cox left Boyd was told it was "his turn" to get the recognition Cox got the previous year. The problem was that the guys that we were going to rely on to relieve pressure off of Boyd either weren't panning out for whatever reason (inject speculation here). The fact was Boyd never actually got his "turn". But he (as we are seeing now in the preseason) is & was a talented young man.

Dawg Tired
08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Let me elaborate. I feel like the first couple of tackles will tell the tail. Whichever defense shows the most aggression and success will probably set the tone for the game.

I envision some hopeful Cowboy running back on a piece of shit misdirection play getting his clock cleaned by an enraged Linebacker named Skinner. The refs give him a little time to get up. The trainers tell him to stay down as the announcers go to a commercial.

Something like that. (1 of 25) #platinumplus