PDA

View Full Version : Big Softey getting sued by stepdad

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Not going to link the story since it's a CL article, but Big Softey's stepdad is officially suing him.

I think it's safe to assume he told the NCAA everything.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-27-2016, 10:42 AM
This could get ugly for the bears. A Starkville attorney is representing Miller, and the lawsuit subpoenas Freeze and Matt Luke to deposition. YIKES.

BulldogBear
04-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Not going to link the story since it's a CL article, but Big Softey's stepdad is officially suing him.

I think it's safe to assume he told the NCAA everything.

I don't know how to do the Joker eating popcorn gif or meme. But the spirit is there!

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Dear 8 lb Baby Jesus, please let the Beaver have to take the stand in a court trial about his knowledge of agents and payments to Tunsil, Amen.

SignalToNoise
04-27-2016, 10:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tLUDFVh.gif

DancingRabbit
04-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Mods can lock my other thread.

OXFORD — Former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil faces another lawsuit from his stepfather, Lindsey Miller, just days before Tunsil is expected to be taken early in the NFL draft.

A lawsuit filed late Tuesday at the Lafayette County Courthouse by Starkville attorney Matthew Wilson, who represents Miller, alleges that Tunsil attacked Miller last June and that Tunsil defamed Miller’s character. The lawsuit alleges these two things were an “intentional infliction of emotional distress.”

The lawsuit is only one side of the legal argument. Attempts to contact Wilson and Jimmy Sexton, Tunsil’s agent, were unsuccessful.

Miller and Tunsil filed domestic violence charges against each other last year. Tunsil alleged he attacked Miller after Miller attacked Tunsil’s mother, Desiree Polingo, and Miller alleged Tunsil attacked him unprovoked. Both sides dropped the charges last August.

Miller pleaded not guilty through his attorney about two weeks before the charges were mutually dropped, which occurred on the day of Tunsil’s arraignment.

STAY INFORMED: Sign up for The Clarion-Ledger’s Ole Miss newsletter

Miller claimed in a Lafayette County Sheriff’s Office arrest report obtained by The Clarion-Ledger the fight was a result of Miller’s warning Tunsil about having contact with agents.

Miller’s new lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages, attorney fees, pre- and post-judgment interest and all costs associated with the suit because of “past, present, and future bodily injury, pain & suffering, severe emotional distress, medical costs, damage to reputation, and/or other types of damages that he has incurred (and will likely continue to incur).”

According to the lawsuit, Polingo and Miller had a “heated conversation” about Tunsil’s relationship with agents but that it ended when Polingo walked outside. The lawsuit alleges that Tunsil then “rushed inside the house and, without legal justification, violently attacked” Miller.

MORE ACCUSATIONS: Tunsil's stepfather said player had contact with agents

“Defendant Tunsil pushed Mr. Miller against the wall in the hallway, causing him to fall,” the lawsuit reads. “The disabled Navy combat veteran was simply unable to protect himself from the unprovoked assault by the six-foot-five-inch, 305-pound, powerfully-strong offensive tackle.

“After Defendant Tunsil had completely overpowered the now-helpless Mr. Miller, the All-American offensive lineman pounded the disabled American veteran severely, striking him with his fists multiple times. It took approximately four men to pull Defendant Tunsil from him.”

The lawsuit alleges that Tunsil then “published a false account of the altercation to Ole Miss Head Football Coach Hugh Freeze, to other Ole Miss coaches, and/or to other persons in general,” saying that Tunsil was defending his mother. The lawsuit calls that a “fabrication.”

“The malicious words of Defendant Tunsil were designed, in whole or in part, to discredit Mr. Miller’s allegations to law enforcement while bolstering Defendant Tunsil’s reputation in the eyes of the general public,” the lawsuit reads. “Furthermore, Defendant Tunsil knew, or should have known, that Coach Hugh Freeze, in particular, would repeat his remarks to local, state, and/or national media given Defendant Tunsil’s critical role on the Ole Miss football team.

“In fact, Coach Freeze and/or others did just that. As a result, Defendant Tunsil’s malicious statements, as repeated by Coach Freeze and others, caused irreparable damage to Mr. Miller’s reputation, the nature and scope of which will be determined at trial.”

The lawsuit also requests depositions to be taken from Freeze, offensive line coach Matt Luke and assistant athletic director John Miller before the limitations period expires on June 28.

The lawsuit requests Freeze’s deposition because it alleges Tunsil discussed the situation with Freeze and then “Coach Freeze and (an) anonymous source effectively announced to millions of people via a national cable network [ESPN] that Mr. Miller had assaulted his wife.”

Luke and Miller were requested because they took Tunsil to the sheriff’s office last June and “may have independent knowledge of the facts of this matter.”

Tunsil has been widely projected to be among the top five selections in Thursday’s NFL draft in Chicago following a successful three-year career at Ole Miss. The left tackle allowed just two sacks in 29 games and declared for the draft after his junior season.

He served a seven-game suspension at the start of the season for accepting impermissible benefits, including use of three separate loaner vehicles over a six-month period without payment, a four-month, interest-free promissory note on a $3,000 down payment for purchasing a used vehicle and two nights’ worth of lodging at a local home, among other things.

BeardoMSU
04-27-2016, 10:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ah6jN8Y.gif

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Matthew Wilson is doing a great job for UM since they love it when the truth comes out.

Howboutdemdogs
04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Dayuhm! As Flounder said, "Oh boy, is this great". My day has been made. Pass the popcorn please.

Johnson85
04-27-2016, 10:59 AM
...Coach Hugh Freeze, in particular, would repeat his remarks to local, state, and/or national media given Defendant Tunsil’s critical role on the Ole Miss football team.

“In fact, Coach Freeze and/or others did just that. As a result, Defendant Tunsil’s malicious statements, as repeated by Coach Freeze and others, caused irreparable damage to Mr. Miller’s reputation, the nature and scope of which will be determined at trial.”

Freeze wading into the matter publicly was a really dumb and short sighted move. It was obviously dumb to throw someody under the bus that very likely had knowledge of what impermissible benefits Tunsil received in order to sign, but it was also stupid to repeat a potentially slanderous statement without knowing the facts.

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2016, 11:00 AM
The Ole Miss football program is in a full blown shit storm now and doesn't know which way is up. Multiple violations, show causes, academic fraud, head coach getting subpoenaed, loaner cars, lawsuits, pay for play, burner phones, etc....

We aren't talking about one problem or incident here folks, we are talking about different allegations and threats coming from North, South, East, and West. Not sure how they fight and explain all of them.

For example, it's easy to explain away one incident by saying it was a mistake, the facts are wrong, etc.... But when the same person get accused of numerous wrong doings across multiple platforms, doesn't it just become obvious that that person is up to no good?

MadDawg
04-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Am I the only one thinking Miller could possibly have an independent claim against Freeze. It was actually Freezus that did the most damage to Miller's reputation by going on ESPN and saying basically he was a wife beater.

Dolphus Raymond
04-27-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm confident all this coming to light is a "good thing". Lot of "good things" going on in Oxford recently.

Dawgology
04-27-2016, 11:14 AM
The Ole Miss football program is in a full blown shit storm now and doesn't know which way is up. Multiple violations, show causes, academic fraud, head coach getting subpoenaed, loaner cars, lawsuits, pay for play, burner phones, etc....

We aren't talking about one problem or incident here folks, we are talking about different allegations and threats coming from North, South, East, and West. Not sure how they fight and explain all of them.

For example, it's easy to explain away one incident by saying it was a mistake, the facts are wrong, etc.... But when the same person get accused of numerous wrong doings across multiple platforms, doesn't it just become obvious that that person is up to no good?

This is why when Freeze posted his twitter comment about "not being bullied" I didn't take it as they were getting out of NCAA problems. He simply shoots his mouth off without thinking...A LOT! I've a feeling in a few months he will sincerely wish he had NEVER put that tweet out there.

Bodaski
04-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Like I said in my post yesterday, anything negative OM makes my days that much more "bearable".

starkvegasdawg
04-27-2016, 11:19 AM
STAY INFORMED: Sign up for The Clarion-Ledger?s Ole Miss newsletter

Isn't that the CL? Do they have a supplement?

Coach34
04-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Like I said in my post yesterday, anything negative OM makes my days that much more "bearable".

You may be cured by May at this rate

TrapGame
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
This is going to be epic. I might need more popcorn.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Johnson85
04-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Am I the only one thinking Miller could possibly have an independent claim against Freeze. It was actually Freezus that did the most damage to Miller's reputation by going on ESPN and saying basically he was a wife beater.

If Miller didn't assault his wife, he definitely has a claim against Freeze. Can't remember exactly what Freeze said, but I think I recall him being pretty explicit about Tunsil defending his mom. Even if he wasn't, I think the implication was strong enough that he would be liable. Not big on defamation law, so maybe there's an obvious exception, but it seems like implying that somebody is a wife beater would either be defeamation per se or relatively easy to show actual damages from.

ETA: Found a quote:

"We can confirm that Laremy Tunsil turned himself in and was arrested for a misdemeanor, domestic violence-simple assault," Freeze said in a statement released to ESPN. "The incident occurred Thursday night and involves Laremy defending his mother against his stepfather."

"Laremy realizes he could have handled it differently, but I am proud of him for standing up for his mother and protecting his family. Laremy and his mother have also pressed charges against the stepfather. As we gather more facts, we will act and make decisions accordingly."

Freeze better hope there was actually a physical threat made. I think the "protecting his family" would reasonably be interpreted as "protecting his family from physical danger", not from an argument.

tireddawg
04-27-2016, 11:30 AM
This is why when Freeze posted his twitter comment about "not being bullied" I didn't take it as they were getting out of NCAA problems. He simply shoots his mouth off without thinking...A LOT! I've a feeling in a few months he will sincerely wish he had NEVER put that tweet out there.

I would think he already wishes he didn't

gtowndawg
04-27-2016, 11:32 AM

I know we joke about a 30 for 30 but dang, I hope someone puts this all together. High entertainment value.

Liverpooldawg
04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Freeze under oath...................:D

Apoplectic
04-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Settlement coming soon!!

Liverpooldawg
04-27-2016, 11:39 AM
So if some of Tunsil's "friends" at UM settle this for him, is it a violation since he isn't a player there anymore.

bgover4
04-27-2016, 11:45 AM
So is there a chance that all the rumors of the TSUN coaches lawyering up have been from this and not for a show cause....I'm not sure which I would rather see. But if Bucky gets put on stand the judge better watch his gavel.

hailstate88
04-27-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm confident all this coming to light is a "good thing". Lot of "good things" going on in Oxford recently.

By good things you mean total meltdown and destruction

Jack Lambert
04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Freeze under oath...................:D

He would probably refuse using the excuse that by swearing on the bible is a sin.

By the way I think the whole thing was a set up by the Tunsils family to extort more money out of Ole Miss. The fight everything was a set up.

Gutter Cobreh
04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
No way this goes to trial. This is simply a ploy by the stepfather to get paid when Tunsil signs his contract. This will be settled out of court as soon as Tunsil receives his signing bonus.

I do tend to agree that the stepfather may have told the NCAA some things, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he was also waiting for this to drop so he could get paid and withheld most of the damaging information.

FISHDAWG
04-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Freeze wading into the matter publicly was a really dumb and short sighted move. It was obviously dumb to throw someody under the bus that very likely had knowledge of what impermissible benefits Tunsil received in order to sign, but it was also stupid to repeat a potentially slanderous statement without knowing the facts.

maybe this is why Freeze has retained an attorney

Coach Freeze and (an) anonymous source effectively announced to millions of people via a national cable network [ESPN] that Mr. Miller had assaulted his wife.?

Coach34
04-27-2016, 12:18 PM
No way this goes to trial. This is simply a ploy by the stepfather to get paid when Tunsil signs his contract. This will be settled out of court as soon as Tunsil receives his signing bonus.

I do tend to agree that the stepfather may have told the NCAA some things, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he was also waiting for this to drop so he could get paid and withheld most of the damaging information.

him telling the NCAA everything was never going to hurt Tonsil's draft stock

basedog
04-27-2016, 12:32 PM
This is going to be epic. I might need more popcorn.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Dude BIG PLUS 1

LMBO!

Leroy Jenkins
04-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Cue Bdork, "We can't wait to tell our story". They should just put that on a continuous loop.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-27-2016, 12:58 PM
maybe this is why Freeze has retained an attorney

Coach Freeze and (an) anonymous source effectively announced to millions of people via a national cable network [ESPN] that Mr. Miller had assaulted his wife.?

From rebs247: http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article/Freeze-Tunsil-Protecting-Mother-37966500

'Freeze provided the following statement to the media Saturday afternoon: “We can confirm that Laremy Tunsil turned himself in and was arrested for a misdemeanor, domestic violence-simple assault. The incident occurred Thursday night and involves Laremy defending his mother against his stepfather. Laremy realizes he could have handled it differently, but I am proud of him for standing up for his mother and protecting his family. Laremy and his mother have also pressed charges against the stepfather. As we gather more facts, we will act and make decisions accordingly.”'

Pollodawg
Cue Bdork, "We can't wait to tell our story". They should just put that on a continuous loop.

They're so anxious to tell their side of it that they keep filing extensions........amirite?

Maroonthirteen

This^^^^^ unfortunately. Step daddy has seen his cash cow leave the pasture and is looking for a way to grab a little cash while he can.

The twist is Softed may say "hell naw" to a settlement but the OM deep pockets will pay off step daddy before Freeze testifies in a trial.

Entertaining development though.

mic
Damn... The 30 for 30 may have a 2 part series it's going to be so long...

Pollodawg
04-27-2016, 12:59 PM
If I were Miller, I would sue Freeze for slander in a heartbeat.

TrapGame
04-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Damn... The 30 for 30 may have a 2 part series it's going to be so long...

Make it into a mini series with Gary Busey as Freeze.

https://personality-spr11.wikispaces.com/file/view/garybusey.jpg/221310296/garybusey.jpg

spiritual_machine2005
04-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Make it into a mini series with Gary Busey as Freeze.

https://personality-spr11.wikispaces.com/file/view/garybusey.jpg/221310296/garybusey.jpg

A little off topic...One of the reasons (among many) Gary Busey looks creepy is that he has no differentiation among his teeth. It's like he has a mouth full of molars!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-27-2016, 02:42 PM
I can't wait to hear the spin from little Dick this afternoon on H2H. I'm sure it will go something like this, "how convenient that a starkville lawyer would bring up this case just days before Tunsil is to get drafted....This is nothing more than a smear campaign...have some integrity, blah blah blah"

Someone remind me who served a supeana to a baseball HC on the field before a game with their rivals. Shirley om would never do anything like this.

War Machine Dawg
04-27-2016, 02:55 PM
I don't know how to do the Joker eating popcorn gif or meme. But the spirit is there!

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://i.imgur.com/rTjkVGl.gif

RocketDawg
04-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Mods can lock my other thread.

OXFORD ? Former Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil faces another lawsuit from his stepfather, Lindsey Miller, just days before Tunsil is expected to be taken early in the NFL draft.

A lawsuit filed late Tuesday at the Lafayette County Courthouse by Starkville attorney Matthew Wilson, who represents Miller, alleges that Tunsil attacked Miller last June and that Tunsil defamed Miller?s character. The lawsuit alleges these two things were an ?intentional infliction of emotional distress.?

The lawsuit is only one side of the legal argument. Attempts to contact Wilson and Jimmy Sexton, Tunsil?s agent, were unsuccessful.

Miller and Tunsil filed domestic violence charges against each other last year. Tunsil alleged he attacked Miller after Miller attacked Tunsil?s mother, Desiree Polingo, and Miller alleged Tunsil attacked him unprovoked. Both sides dropped the charges last August.

Miller pleaded not guilty through his attorney about two weeks before the charges were mutually dropped, which occurred on the day of Tunsil?s arraignment.

STAY INFORMED: Sign up for The Clarion-Ledger?s Ole Miss newsletter

Miller claimed in a Lafayette County Sheriff?s Office arrest report obtained by The Clarion-Ledger the fight was a result of Miller?s warning Tunsil about having contact with agents.

Miller?s new lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages, attorney fees, pre- and post-judgment interest and all costs associated with the suit because of ?past, present, and future bodily injury, pain & suffering, severe emotional distress, medical costs, damage to reputation, and/or other types of damages that he has incurred (and will likely continue to incur).?

According to the lawsuit, Polingo and Miller had a ?heated conversation? about Tunsil?s relationship with agents but that it ended when Polingo walked outside. The lawsuit alleges that Tunsil then ?rushed inside the house and, without legal justification, violently attacked? Miller.

MORE ACCUSATIONS: Tunsil's stepfather said player had contact with agents

?Defendant Tunsil pushed Mr. Miller against the wall in the hallway, causing him to fall,? the lawsuit reads. ?The disabled Navy combat veteran was simply unable to protect himself from the unprovoked assault by the six-foot-five-inch, 305-pound, powerfully-strong offensive tackle.

?After Defendant Tunsil had completely overpowered the now-helpless Mr. Miller, the All-American offensive lineman pounded the disabled American veteran severely, striking him with his fists multiple times. It took approximately four men to pull Defendant Tunsil from him.?

The lawsuit alleges that Tunsil then ?published a false account of the altercation to Ole Miss Head Football Coach Hugh Freeze, to other Ole Miss coaches, and/or to other persons in general,? saying that Tunsil was defending his mother. The lawsuit calls that a ?fabrication.?

?The malicious words of Defendant Tunsil were designed, in whole or in part, to discredit Mr. Miller?s allegations to law enforcement while bolstering Defendant Tunsil?s reputation in the eyes of the general public,? the lawsuit reads. ?Furthermore, Defendant Tunsil knew, or should have known, that Coach Hugh Freeze, in particular, would repeat his remarks to local, state, and/or national media given Defendant Tunsil?s critical role on the Ole Miss football team.

?In fact, Coach Freeze and/or others did just that. As a result, Defendant Tunsil?s malicious statements, as repeated by Coach Freeze and others, caused irreparable damage to Mr. Miller?s reputation, the nature and scope of which will be determined at trial.?

The lawsuit also requests depositions to be taken from Freeze, offensive line coach Matt Luke and assistant athletic director John Miller before the limitations period expires on June 28.

The lawsuit requests Freeze?s deposition because it alleges Tunsil discussed the situation with Freeze and then ?Coach Freeze and (an) anonymous source effectively announced to millions of people via a national cable network [ESPN] that Mr. Miller had assaulted his wife.?

Luke and Miller were requested because they took Tunsil to the sheriff?s office last June and ?may have independent knowledge of the facts of this matter.?

Tunsil has been widely projected to be among the top five selections in Thursday?s NFL draft in Chicago following a successful three-year career at Ole Miss. The left tackle allowed just two sacks in 29 games and declared for the draft after his junior season.

He served a seven-game suspension at the start of the season for accepting impermissible benefits, including use of three separate loaner vehicles over a six-month period without payment, a four-month, interest-free promissory note on a $3,000 down payment for purchasing a used vehicle and two nights? worth of lodging at a local home, among other things.

It's hard to tell what the real truth in this since apparently so many lies have been told about this incident. What actually happened may not have even been told yet. The only common denominator seems to be part about talking to an agent.

Even if Freeze has to file a deposition, as it says in this article, I don't really see how that could indict him or even the OM football program for other misdeeds, and I suspect that in the deposition they won't be able to ask about the other blatant cheating that's been going on there for years ... just the Tunsil incident. If you can believe this article, about the only way that Freeze screwed up here was repeating the "protecting his mother" story when he didn't know if it was true or not.

MSU folks probably shouldn't get too optimistic based strictly on the content of this article.

Jarius
04-27-2016, 03:00 PM
This is obviously more good news for Ole Miss.

BossDawg
04-27-2016, 03:41 PM
"He served a seven-game suspension at the start of the season for accepting impermissible benefits, including use of three separate loaner vehicles over a six-month period without payment, a four-month, interest-free promissory note on a $3,000 down payment for purchasing a used vehicle and two nights? worth of lodging at a local home, among other things."

Hmmmmm......"other things". Do tell. Do tell.

spbdawg
04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
#

TrapGame
04-27-2016, 03:56 PM
If I were deposing Freeze, I'd ask about his long term relationship with Laremy and how they met. To help lay a foundation and describe their coach/player bond. Then I'd probe about his recruitment and commitment

Lawyer: So, Coach Freeze you're saying Leremy was sold after only one visit to Oxford?

Freeze: Yes, sir, he was completely sold on our football program.

Lawyer: Well, coach, you know for something to be sold it has to be paid for. How much was Leremy offered to sign with Ole Miss?

Freeze: Sir, I never offered....

Lawyer (Speaking over Freeze): Coach, I never said "you" offered. I asked how much was he offered. Was Leremy Tunsil offered money to sign with Ole Miss?

Freeze: ....(Silence)....

Lawyer: Now remember Coach Freeze you have taken an oath to tell the truth so help you God.

BulldogBear
04-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://i.imgur.com/rTjkVGl.gif

Thanks!!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-27-2016, 05:21 PM
And like clockwork, dICK on H2H is defaming Mr. Miler and inferring he is not a stand up guy.