PDA

View Full Version : What was the RPI of the 8 national seeds last year?

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up. I have seen a couple of posters say that RPI is just a tool, but I know one year, the 16 host teams had the top 17 RPI's in the country. In baseball, it seems like they rely on it way more than Basketball.

MetEdDawg
04-27-2016, 09:51 AM
My research shows UC Santa Barbara hosted as the #24 RPI last year and that was the lowest. Teams like Virginia and Radford had Top 15 RPI's and did not host.

ETA: They also had a SOS of 62. Considering UCLA and CSF hosted, that was not a gimmie regional due to lack of west coast regionals. However they went 2 and through in their regional because they got buzz sawed by Virginia.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Nat'l Seed/Team/Record/RPI

#1. UCLA (42-14) #7
#2. LSU (48-10) #3
#3. Louisville (43-16) #13
#4. Florida (44-16) #1
#5. Miami (44-14) #2
#6. Illinois (47-8-1) #12
#7. TCU (43-11) #6
#8. Missouri State (45-10) #9

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Nat'l Seed/Team/Record/RPI

#1. UCLA (42-14) #7
#2. LSU (48-10) #3
#3. Louisville (43-16) #13
#4. Florida (44-16) #1
#5. Miami (44-14) #2
#6. Illinois (47-8-1) #12
#7. TCU (43-11) #6
#8. Missouri State (45-10) #9

Yikes, worst RPI was 13. We better not fall below 15 if we want a national seed. Missouri State, what a joke.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Yikes, worst RPI was 13. We better not fall below 15 if we want a national seed. Missouri State, what a joke.
Well it's probably gonna happen bc our SOS is about to take a serious hit after this weekend

BulldogBear
04-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Well it's probably gonna happen bc our SOS is about to take a serious hit after this weekend

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all that. It seems like it would hurt big schools like SEC schools that play a lot of OOC home games and make them look worse in RPI. Conversely, it helps schools like Northern and Midwestern look better because they have to play a lot of earl season road games. So, I just did a little calculation. Throw out the tie more or less. I know our own performance is only 25% but lets look at what our adjusted record would be. We have 18 wins in Starkville, 4 at neutral sites, and 6 on the road. That drops from 28 to 24.4. Our losses (I don't remember what was where but I already calculated it) rise from 13 to 14.8.

So, according to the RPI adjustment, our record is 24.4-14.8, or more or less that we are viewed as a 24-15-1 team, not a 28-13-1 team. So, 50% is opponents strength. But we play a lot of SEC teams that likely have the same problem we have, a lot of home games that don't count as a full win and are magnified if they lose. How, do we end up rated so high? You can't even look at our SEC opponents without adjusting their overall records downward a few wins and add a loss or two. Still decent records but I guess everyone else's RPI sucks that bad. It seems like there's no such thing as a good RPI. Just a baseline of the Top40 or so and after that the sucking starts.

chef dixon
04-27-2016, 10:44 AM
We are worrying way too much about being a national seed

dickiedawg
04-27-2016, 10:54 AM
It's an attainable goal, one that, oh by the way, we've never accomplished since the tournament expanded.
Obviously it's not the end of the world if we don't make it but it would represent our most successful regular season of at least the last 18 years.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-27-2016, 10:55 AM

And every weekend after likely...

Team/RPI/SOS

Bama 48 22
Mizzou 98 44
Auburn 114 19
Arkansas 85 90

bulldogcountry1
04-27-2016, 10:57 AM
We are worrying way too much about being a national seed

Agreed. We've only even hosted once in a coon's age, but everyone seems to have forgotten that.

preachermatt83
04-27-2016, 11:10 AM
We will only be a nat seed if we win all 4 Series that are left and sweep 2 of them. Other than that no chance. If we lose more than one of the 4 series we will be in danger of not hosting.

PMDawg
04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
If we win each series left then we may be able to play our way to a national seed in the SECT.

engie
04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Our SOS is now projected to fall to #12. Hardly a big deal. If we win the rest of our series, we will be a national seed.

HSVDawg
04-27-2016, 12:49 PM

The flip side to that is that each additional game means incrementally less than the ones before it in terms of the RPI calculation. That is especially true towards the end of the season. All teams are starting to settle into a subset of where they will finish in the RPI, and that subset gets smaller and smaller with each passing game. Right now I'd guestimate that our RPI could get as high as #6 or #7 if we finish red hot, or possibly drop to the low 20's if we have a disappointing finish.

We are definitely in the gray area now where we are on the tightrope between a national seed and just a first round host site. If we continue winning, our RPI should stay high enough for a national seed even though our SOS will definitely drop some.

smootness
04-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Our SOS is now projected to fall to #12. Hardly a big deal. If we win the rest of our series, we will be a national seed.

This.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
If we go 8-4 the final 4 SEC series, we just have to hope the committee uses some common sense and says these guys beat UF, Vandy, and LSU 2 out of 3 on the road. No one will have that on their resume.

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 01:00 PM
I think some of y'all are over-complicating it. Right now as of today, we are a National Seed. We have 4 more series against teams we can and should beat. It is going to be extremely hard to lose a National Seed if we win all 4 remaining series. Even if we were the #8 currently, it would take a team getting red freaking hot to jump a team that is winning every series and already considered a National Seed.

Plus this year is different in that the SEC and ACC are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

So in my opinion, just winning the rest of our series should wrap up a National Seed. Unless something crazy happens

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:02 PM
We need to pull for vandy and usce vs aTm, perhaps even om (spit!). If we win the west, we'll be a national seed imo. If we don't win the west, I don't think we'll be a national seed

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

I agree

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 01:03 PM
I think some of y'all are over-complicating it. Right now as of today, we are a National Seed. We have 4 more series against teams we can and should beat. It is going to be extremely hard to lose a National Seed if we win all 4 remaining series. Even if we were the #8 currently, it would take a team getting red freaking hot to jump a team that is winning every series and already considered a National Seed.

Plus this year is different in that the SEC and ACC are leaps and bounds ahead of the others.

So in my opinion, just winning the rest of our series should wrap up a National Seed. Unless something crazy happens

I wonder what's the worst RPI to be a national seed?

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Would the sec get 4 national seeds? I doubt it... Usce, Florida, and aTm are all ahead of us in sec standings and rpi at the moment

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 01:09 PM
I wonder what's the worst RPI to be a national seed?

Probably 20 something. Not sure.

But just like we can look at RPI history, how many times has a team not been a National Seed with 3+ series wins on the road of a National Seed or Host school + 18 or more SEC wins?

If we weren't currently considered a National Seed, I would agree that we need some sweeps and good fortune.....but right now we are likely the #5-#7 National Seed, so I can't see us winning every remaining series and dropping from the Top 8.

I may be crazy though

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Would the sec get 4 national seeds? I doubt it... Usce, Florida, and aTm are all ahead of us in sec standings and rpi at the moment

Yes, Kendall Rodgers even said he's starting to think that is likely. (Last week)

Plus all of those teams have to play one or both of the other, so we just need to keep winning series imo

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Yes, Kendall Rodgers even said he's starting to think that is likely. (Last week)

Could happen...

Personally I think we may be better off hosting regional and traveling for super. We seem to play better on the road. Not as cool for a fan, but really think we'd be better off

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Could happen...

Personally I think we may be better off hosting regional and traveling for super. We seem to play better on the road. Not as cool for a fan, but really think we'd be better off

True. I won't be crushed if that happens...we are a good road team like you said.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:15 PM

Plus all of those teams have to play one or both of the other, so we just need to keep winning series imo

That could help us with sec standings, but they'll strengthen rpi lead

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Probably 20 something. Not sure.

If we weren't currently considered a National Seed, I would agree that we need some sweeps and good fortune.....but right now we are likely the #5-#7 National Seed, so I can't see us winning every remaining series and dropping from the Top 8.

I may be crazy though

Baseball America just released their current projections and we aren't a national seed.

bulldogcountry1
04-27-2016, 01:22 PM
True. I won't be crushed if that happens...we are a good road team like you said.

And playing on the road in the supers would help our RPI.**

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Baseball America just released their current projections and we aren't a national seed.
We've got to pass aTm imo. Good news is they have a tough schedule left

sandwolf
04-27-2016, 03:56 PM

Apparently D1 Baseball has us projected as the #5 national seed paired up with the Southern Miss regional.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Apparently D1 Baseball has us projected as the #5 national seed paired up with the Southern Miss regional.

That would be a sweet draw

State82
04-27-2016, 05:39 PM
The one common characteristic of those national seeds is they are all well north of 40 wins. I haven't researched it for past years but my guess is almost all have had 40+ wins which we won't have. Not that there is anything magic about that number. My main objective is host. Then let the chips fall where they may. Host, and Cohen has earned his keep in my opinion.

CadaverDawg
04-27-2016, 05:45 PM
It could all become a moot point, because even if we aren't a National Seed we could still end up hosting a Super if a Natty Seed loses, which is very possible these days.

State82
04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
It could all become a moot point, because even if we aren't a National Seed we could still end up hosting a Super if a Natty Seed loses, which is very possible these days.

Yes. Just host the regional. Everything starts there.