PDA

View Full Version : 7 Miss. St. Bulldogs projected to go in 2016 NFL draft

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-27-2016, 03:33 AM
With the draft just a day away, here's a look at where our guys are being projected to go. I averaged 40 mock drafts to get average draft positions for 7 Mississippi State football products. Only 24 mocks went past rd 1, so Jones has a larger sample. I predict 6 of the 7 bulldogs listed here will be drafted.

Chris Jones
38 mocks, average draft position: 34th overall (2nd round-3rd pick)
Highest: 10th overall (1st round- 10th pick, Giants)
Lowest: 66th overall (3rd round - 3rd pick, Chargers)
Most popular picks: Broncos (1st round-31st pick, 5 mocks), Redskins (1st-21, 4 mocks)
Standard deviation: 15 picks; so pretty much everyone has him going b/w the 19th & 49th (2nd rd-18) pick
NFL.com grade: 6.2 (chance to become good NFL starter)
My projection: 1st rd - 28th pick to the Chiefs
I dont know that its the most likely, but the Chiefs 3-4 sticks out to me at as the best fit for CJ. I am hoping for Redskins w/ Preston Smith. I havent heard of any teams falling in love w/ him, but the ones that have are likely keeping it quiet.

Dak Prescott
22 mock avg: 84th overall (3rd-21)
Highest: 31st overall (1st-31, Broncos)
Lowest: 231st overall (7th-10, Dolphins)
Most popular picks: Broncos (2nd-31, 7 mocks; 3rd-31, 4 mocks), Cowboys (3rd-4, 3 mocks)
Standard deviation: 38 picks; over a round of variance so anywhere from mid 2nd to mid 4th
Median of 72nd overall (3rd-9) is probably more accurate than his average b/c of an obvious outlier where Pro Football Focus has him going in the 7th round
NFL.com grade: 5.46 (backup or eventual starter)
My projection: 2nd rd - 31st pick to the Broncos
They may get antsy & take Cook if hes available in the 1st but if not I expect Denver's front office to have their fingers crossed that Dak makes it to the last pick of the 2nd rd. If Denver passes, he wont get past Dallas at the top of the 3rd; & as much as I hate them, I think the cowboys would give him the best opportunity to come in & meet expectations.

Will Redmond
16 mock avg: 106th overall (4th-8)
Highest: 58th overall (2nd-27, Steelers)
Lowest: 183rd overall (6th-8, Buccaneers)
Most popular picks: Lions (3rd-32, 4 mocks), Jets (4th-20, 2 mocks)
Standard deviation: 34 picks, so firmly b/w early 3rd & late 4th rounds
NFL.com grade: 5.6 (backup or eventual starter)
My projection: 3rd rd-1st pick to the Titans
Probably wishful thinking as a Titans fan but I could see Deshea Townshend getting in our GMs ear & trying to pull in his former protege. If Will played a full Senior season (and/or had the chance to put a full college career on tape), hes a 1st round lock, & I hope Townshend is pitching that to our FO. No way the Lions let him get out of the 3rd round w/ a chance to hit jackpot on another MSU CB.

Beniquez Brown
11 mock avg: 131st overall (4th-33)
Highest: 54th overall (2nd-23, Vikings)
Lowest: 224th overall (7th-3, Chargers)
Most popular picks- Packers (2nd-26, 2 mocks; 4th-25, 2 mocks; 3rd-25)
Standard Deviation: 63 picks. Two rounds worth of variance, so hes projected all over the place.
NFL.com grade 5.23 (developmental prospect or special teams potential)
My projection: 3rd rd-25th pick to the Packers
The Packers reportedly have a 1st round grade on Beni so I expect them to grab him at some point. They could probably wait until the 4th & get him, but if they like as much as reported then they will go snag him. The Packers crush on him & his high standard deviation in picks may help explain his questionable decision to forego a SR year. He obviously got some very good feedback from someone, even though many see him as a day 3 pick.

Taveze Calhoun
6 mock avg: 175th overall (5th-38)
Highest: 100th overall (4th-2, Browns)
Undrafted in 4 seven-rounders
Standard Deviation: 49 picks; late 4th to early 7th
Most popular picks: Dolphins (2 mocks)
NFL.com grade 4.96 (50/50 chance of making roster)
My projection: 6th rd-11th pick to the Dolphins
This one is hard to peg but I think Calhoun did plenty to help himself at the combine, despite Mike Bonners 'Calhoun Underwhelms at the Combine' CL article. His biggest question was long speed & he ran a sub 4.6, enabling teams to trust what they see on tape. A tape with three years worth of quality starts in the SEC West will be enough to get him drafted.

Bear Wilson
7 mock avg: 180th overall (6th-5)
Highest: 91st overall (3rd-28, Patriots)
Undrafted in 2 seven-rounders
Standard Deviation: 50 picks - late 4th to late 6th
Most popular picks: Patriots & 49ers (2 mocks each)
NFL.com grade 5.29 (developmental prospect or special teams potential)
My projection: 6th rd-32nd pick to the 49ers
Chip Kelly values height & he will be looking to add weapons in this draft. Bear could do well running his slant in a quick read offense. I think just getting drafted will be a win for Bear at this point. IDK how much he could have improved his 40 if he stayed another year but he could have really used another year of improvement to show on tape in order to counter all the questions on his combine/pro day measurables.

Ryan Brown
3 mock avg: 209th (6th-34)
Highest: 189th overall (6th-14)
Lowest: 227th overall (7th-6)
Undrafted in 6 seven-rounders
Most popular picks: Cowboys (2 mocks)
NFL.com grade 4.5 (50/50 chance of making roster)
My projection: Undrafted
Despite a solid SR year to punctuate a great MSU career, injury concerns may keep Ryan from getting picked. The Raiders & Cowboys are reportedly high on him, so even if he doesnt get picked he should get an invite from one of them as a priority FA.

The draft is my favorite sporting event. Above the Super Bowl and even preseason week 4. As an MSU/Titans fan, Im looking forward to this one as much as ever with plenty of action from both teams. Mock drafts are notoriously inaccurate, but they can give an idea of what to expect. Last year I predicted 5 players would be drafted & I was correct. However, I was surprised by who actually got drafted. Although Kaleb Eulls & Justin Cox were consistently picked in mock drafts, neither was drafted. Matt Wells and Malcolm Johnson ended up being the bulldogs drafted, despite 0 appearances in the 30 mocks I compiled. Bottom line, by the end of the weekend, even by a conservative estimate, MSU will have put 10+ players in the NFL in the past two years. This should not go unnoticed. Ive gone over newspaper draft recaps since I was a kid trying to find MSU players & it was never this easy to find them.

The top storylines I'll be watching: Will MSU break the school record for number of players drafted (6)? Will they break last year?s record for number of players drafted in the 1st 6 rounds (5)? Will Chris Jones be drafted ahead of Robert Knemdiche as I predicted on signing day 2013? Will Dak be a day 2 pick? Will the fisher of men ever put as many players in an NFL draft as recruiting-averse Mullen? Can the Titans new front office use a slew of picks to rebuild a roster left in shambles by UNM grad & fired Titans GM, Ruston Webster?

I already let my household know that I will be firmly planted on the couch & in full control of the remote Thursday through Saturday night, so here's to many beers & few distractions.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-27-2016, 03:33 AM
And for the information-deprived readers up north, here’s Robert Knimdechie for comparison
32 mocks: 35th overall (2nd- 4)
Highest: 15th overall (Titans)
Lowest: 57th overall (2nd-26, Packers)
My projection: Free fall

And some stories to follow:
- Chris Jones will get drafted ahead of R Nkemdeichie (former #1 overall recruit)
- L Tunsil (former #3 overall recruit) will not be a top 5 draft pick
- L Treadwell (former #1 overall WR) will not be the 1st receiver drafted, maybe not even top 2.
- MSU will put more players in the NFL draft than UNM, again.

It will be interesting to see if any of the 2013 UNM signing class improved their draft stock by signing w/ Freeze & Co. Would Tunsil still be a top 3 lock w/o baggage from NCAA violations & having his name dragged through the mud by a former UNM teammate (out of love, of course)?
Would Kimdniche still be a lock as a top 5 pick if he had stuck w/ his commitment to Clemson & anchored a dominant defensive line on a CFB playoff run to the National Championship game? Or if he had played for a Dline coach w/ a NFL Draft resume consisting of players he actually coached? Or if he’d hadn't been in an environment where winning the party & skirting the drug test are part of winning the day?
Would L Treadwell still be a lock as the #1 receiver drafted if he’d been taught by “someone who was teaching the little nuances of the receiver position”, or “about the position as far as route running”? Or if he hadn’t suffered a severe leg injury playing in the tar pit UNM called a FieldTurf for nearly 10 years?
Would CJ Johnson still be a former 5-star on the verge of going undrafted had he based his college decision on pros & cons rather than blows from blondes? On a place w/ leaders to follow instead of white girls to swallow? On the right fits, not the white tits?

There is no direct measure of player development over a college career. However, if comparing HS rankings to rankings coming out of college is any indication, this draft should be a telling measure of the amount of player development going on at each of Mississippi’s SEC schools.

I seen it dawg
04-27-2016, 05:57 AM
Outstanding

djaymsu5
04-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Also if you happen to not be able to watch every round like me you can check HailState Football on Twitter and they will give updates usually of our picks. Even though they shouldn't be that hard to find.

Schultzy
04-27-2016, 07:50 AM
Outstanding

Seconded

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Great write up. Lately I have seen Chris Jones to Oakland at #14 in several mock drafts. I will be surprised if he makes it out of the 1st round. If he does it probably means teams are reaching for QBs which should make Dak go higher. Interesting that Green Bay is interested in Benni, hopefully they get him in the early rounds. I have seen a couple of mocks having Ragland to GB because they want Matthews back outside of course with Raji taking a year off who knows what direction they go with their 1st round pick.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-27-2016, 09:37 AM
"Would CJ Johnson still be a former 5-star on the verge of going undrafted had he based his college decision on pros & cons rather than blows from blondes? On a place w/ leaders to follow instead of white girls to swallow? On the right fits, not the white tits?"

This needs to be put....somewhere. Stick it to the front or something. This needs to be seen by all mankind. I'm printing it and framing it to put on my living room wall. Hell, I may get it printed and put on one of those car magnets on the side of my door where people can see it as I drive around.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2016, 09:52 AM
7 potential draft choices off of last year's team. I only see 3 off of this year's team: Nick James, Richie Brown, and Fred Ross. And I don't think any of those 3 are Top 3 round guys. That's one reason why I see a drop off this season.

HancockCountyDog
04-27-2016, 09:54 AM
With the draft just a day away, here's a look at where our guys are being projected to go. I averaged 40 mock drafts to get average draft positions for 7 Mississippi State football products. Only 24 mocks went past rd 1, so Jones has a larger sample. I predict 6 of the 7 bulldogs listed here will be drafted.

Chris Jones
38 mocks, average draft position: 34th overall (2nd round-3rd pick)
Highest: 10th overall (1st round- 10th pick, Giants)
Lowest: 66th overall (3rd round - 3rd pick, Chargers)
Most popular picks: Broncos (1st round-31st pick, 5 mocks), Redskins (1st-21, 4 mocks)
Standard deviation: 15 picks; so pretty much everyone has him going b/w the 19th & 49th (2nd rd-18) pick
NFL.com grade: 6.2 (chance to become good NFL starter)
My projection: 1st rd - 28th pick to the Chiefs
I dont know that its the most likely, but the Chiefs 3rd-4 sticks out to me at as the best fit for CJ. I am hoping for Redskins w/ Preston Smith. I havent heard of any teams falling in love w/ him, but the ones that have are likely keeping it quiet.

Dak Prescott
22 mock avg: 84th overall (3rd-21)
Highest: 31st overall (1st-31, Broncos)
Most popular picks: Broncos (2nd-31, 7 mocks; 3rd-31, 4 mocks), Cowboys (3rd-4, 3 mocks)
Standard deviation: 38 picks; over a round of variance so anywhere from mid 2nd to mid 4th
Median of 72nd overall (3rd-9) is probably more accurate than his average b/c of an obvious outlier where Pro Football Focus has him going in the 7th round
NFL.com grade: 5.46 (backup or eventual starter)
My projection: 2nd rd - 31st pick to the Broncos
They may get antsy & take Cook if hes available in the 1st but if not I expect Denver's front office to have their fingers crossed that Dak makes it to the last pick of the 2nd rd. If Denver passes, he wont get past Dallas at the top of the 3rd; & as much as I hate them, I think the cowboys would give him the best opportunity to come in & meet expectations.

Will Redmond
16 mock avg: 106th overall (4th-8)
Highest: 58th overall (2nd-27, Steelers)
Lowest: 183rd overall (6th-8, Buccaneers)
Most popular picks: Lions (3rd-32, 4 mocks), Jets (4th-20, 2 mocks)
Standard deviation: 34 picks, so firmly b/w early 3rd & late 4th rounds
NFL.com grade: 5.6 (backup or eventual starter)
My projection: 3rd rd-1st pick to the Titans
Probably wishful thinking as a Titans fan but I could see Deshea Townshend getting in our GMs ear & trying to pull in his former protege. If Will played a full Senior season (and/or had the chance to put a full college career on tape), hes a 1st round lock, & I hope Townshend is pitching that to our FO. No way the Lions let him get out of the 3rd round w/ a chance to hit jackpot on another MSU CB.

Beniquez Brown
11 mock avg: 131st overall (4th-33)
Highest: 54th overall (2nd-23, Vikings)
Lowest: 224th overall (7th-3, Chargers)
Most popular picks- Packers (2nd-26, 2 mocks; 4th-25, 2 mocks; 3rd-25)
Standard Deviation: 63 picks. Two rounds worth of variance, so hes projected all over the place.
NFL.com grade 5.23 (developmental prospect of special teams potential)
My projection: 3rd rd-25th pick to the Packers
The Packers reportedly have a 1st round grade on Beni so I expect them to grab him at some point. They could probably wait until the 4th & get him, but if they like as much as reported then they will go snag him. The Packers crush on him & his high standard deviation in picks may help explain his questionable decision to forego a SR year. He obviously got some very good feedback from someone, even though many see him as a day 3 pick.

Taveze Calhoun
6 mock avg: 175th overall (5th-38)
Highest: 100th overall (4th-2, Browns)
Undrafted in 4 seven-rounders
Standard Deviation: 49 picks; late 4th to early 7th
Most popular picks: Dolphins (2 mocks)
NFL.com grade 4.96 (50/50 chance of making roster)
My projection: 6th rd-11th pick to the Dolphins
This one is hard to peg but I think Calhoun did plenty to help himself at the combine, despite Mike Bonners 'Calhoun Underwhelms at the Combine' CL article. His biggest question was long speed & he ran a sub 4.6, enabling teams to trust what they see on tape. A tape with three years worth of quality starts in the SEC West will be enough to get him drafted.

Bear Wilson
7 mock avg: 180th overall (6th-5)
Highest: 91st overall (3rd-28, Patriots)
Undrafted in 2 seven-rounders
Standard Deviation: 50 picks - late 4th to late 6th
Most popular picks: Patriots & 49ers (2 mocks each)
NFL.com grade 5.29 (developmental prospect of special teams potential)
My projection: 6th rd-32nd pick to the 49ers
Chip Kelly values height & he will be looking to add weapons in this draft. Bear could do well running his slant in a quick read offense. I think just getting drafted will be a win for Bear at this point. IDK how much he could have improved his 40 if he stayed another year but he could have really used another year of improvement to show on tape in order to counter all the questions on his combine/pro day measurables.

Ryan Brown
3 mock avg: 209th (6th-34)
Highest: 189th overall (6th-14)
Lowest: 227th overall (7th-6)
Undrafted in 6 seven-rounders
Most popular picks: Cowboys (2 mocks)
NFL.com grade 4.5 (50/50 chance of making roster)
My projection: Undrafted
Despite a solid SR year to punctuate a great MSU career, injury concerns may keep Ryan from getting picked. The Raiders & Cowboys are reportedly high on him, so even if he doesnt get picked he should get an invite from one of them as a priority FA.

The draft is my favorite sporting event. Above the Super Bowl and even preseason week 4. As an MSU/Titans fan, Im looking forward to this one as much as ever with plenty of action from both teams. Mock drafts are notoriously inaccurate, but they can give an idea of what to expect. Last year I predicted 5 players would be drafted & I was correct. However, I was surprised by who actually got drafted. Although Kaleb Eulls & Justin Cox were consistently picked in mock drafts, neither was drafted. Matt Wells and Malcolm Johnson ended up being the bulldogs drafted, despite 0 appearances in the 30 mocks I compiled. Bottom line, by the end of the weekend, even by a conservative estimate, MSU will have put 10+ players in the NFL in the past two years. This should not go unnoticed. Ive gone over newspaper draft recaps since I was a kid trying to find MSU players & it was never this easy to find them.

The top storylines I'll be watching: Will MSU break the school record for number of players drafted (6)? Will they break last year?s record for number of players drafted in the 1st 6 rounds (5)? Will Chris Jones be drafted ahead of Robert Knemdiche as I predicted on signing day 2013? Will Dak be a day 2 pick? Will the fisher of men ever put as many players in an NFL draft as recruiting-averse Mullen? Can the Titans new front office use a slew of picks to rebuild a roster left in shambles by UNM grad & fired Titans GM, Ruston Webster?

I already let my household know that I will be firmly planted on the couch & in full control of the remote Thursday through Saturday night, so here's to many beers & few distractions.

Thanks for this, I really think Bear will make a roster, he offers a skill set that translates to the NFL.

parabrave
04-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks for this, I really think Bear will make a roster, he offers a skill set that translates to the NFL.

I think that Bear will be drafted and turned into a TE in the mold of J Whitten. He doesn't have the speed of a WR but he has 2 great attributes. he can jump and he can block downfield.

mic
04-27-2016, 10:15 AM
7 potential draft choices off of last year's team. I only see 3 off of this year's team: Nick James, Richie Brown, and Fred Ross. And I don't think any of those 3 are Top 3 round guys. That's one reason why I see a drop off this season.

Just because we only have a few Sr's that are draft guys doesn't mean there aren't future pros on the team... And if Ross has another soild year he is a possible first round guy..
And don't count out AJ, Calvin, Cleveland, Clayborn out of possible draft guys yet..

mic
04-27-2016, 10:16 AM
I think that Bear will be drafted and turned into a TE in the mold of J Whitten. He doesn't have the speed of a WR but he has 2 great attributes. he can jump and he can block downfield.

I'm more worried about Bear work ethic to make it in the pros than I am his speed... His size will make up a lot that he loses with his speed...

Coach34
04-27-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't see any way Dakota makes it past Dallas with the early 2nd round pick

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 10:37 AM

AJ Jefferson probably, he quietly had a good year. If Calvin keeps it up the whole year like he finished last year then he will probably get drafted also. Once again probably no Oline getting drafted. Hev has got to shape up or ship out but he is Mullen's boy. At least he isn't as incompetent as McCorvey.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 10:39 AM

I reaaaalllllly wish Denver would take him before Dallas can. If for nothing else because I hate Dallas and my buddy loves the Cowgirls almost as much as he loves State. It might make him too happy and he might stroke out.

deltadawg99
04-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Redmond would be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. If he goes in the 3rd round to the Lions, I'll have to become a Lions fan with he and Slay at DB.

I'm really afraid Bear is going to go slide into the late rounds or even go undrafted after his showing in workouts and it being such a deep WR class. Really wish he would have come back.

Coach34
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Dolphins love Redmond- something to keep an eye on

FanninDawg
04-27-2016, 03:29 PM

Why hasn't Justin Malone been discussed in any draft talk? I know he struggled @ LT but he was a very serviceable LG. He's got the size, not the meanness?

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Why hasn't Justin Malone been discussed in any draft talk? I know he struggled @ LT but he was a very serviceable LG. He's got the size, not the meanness?

Probably has to do with the fact our Oline looked like garbage the entire year. We weren't able to run it on anyone including our OOC games. When you are that bad of an Oline it looks bad on everyone. Malone would have had to blow up his pro day to overcome that.

Coach34
04-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Malone played his way out of the draft- but he will get a FA shot somewhere

djaymsu5
04-27-2016, 05:32 PM

I bet Calvin ends up on the list too

djaymsu5
04-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Dallas is looking to trade up to get two 1st round picks. Something to keep an eye on

Coach34
04-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Maybe they are really worried Denver will take Dakota

Dawgowar
04-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Dallas is looking to trade up to get two 1st round picks. Something to keep an eye on

Jerry does not have the Ammo and all three of his kids will restrain him if he tries.