PDA

View Full Version : Governor's Cup Winners Thoughts

Todd4State
04-26-2016, 11:14 PM
First of all always great to win and get our trophy back to Starkville where it belongs AWESOME JOB by our entire team. Ole Miss is a good team and it was pretty tense the entire game.

Our pitching was OUTSTANDING tonight. I was nervous when I saw that we were starting Cyr against a good SEC team in a sold out environment- but he stepped up and delivered. He still has a Bluto ERA of 0.00. Houston was really good too- that's who I thought we would start mainly because he started last week and I would have been more comfortable going in with him, and it looks like now neither would have been a bad choice. There weren't very many hard hit balls hit off of either one of them and even though we got into some jams, they pitched their asses off and got out of them.

I am especially proud of Jacob Billingsley. I remember watching him work out in the bullpen during the Oregon series in pre-game and he was having a lot of problems with his leg left and just his mechanics in general. To see how far he has come and to pitch like he did tonight- he earned the MVP. He was outstanding tonight. His breaking ball was totally filthy and he was throwing it for strikes. Hopefully this will boost him going forward because Lord knows we need people to step up and be consistent. And going forward, I do expect our bullpen to get better. I think our woes are a combination of having a new pitching coach coming in late in the pre-season with a totally different philosophy, playing some really good hitting teams, and having a lot of inexperienced guys. What it has caused is inconsistency in the bullpen- but I see guys that have come a LOOONNG way and are looking better. I think we are about to see the fruits of that very soon- Humphreys, Brown, hopefully Rigby, and now hopefully Houston and Billingsley. And it will be interesting to see what we do with Cyr. He has to start figuring into the equation as well.

While Kruger had a rough night at the plate hitting I thought he looked outstanding catching tonight. Elih as good as he is has some freshman moments every now and then. Kruger kept every ball in front of him and shut down their running game all night long. He did a great job. He still needs to learn how to hit sliders though.

Lowe and Collins had some good at bats- Lowe drove in a run I believe. Gavin had a solid single later in the game. Gavin was lucky on a couple of plays- but he made them. I felt bad for Lowe when he missed that ball that floated over his head for a hit with a runner moving when he had to hold the guy on first base. Those were the kinds of things that happened against LSU on Sunday that led to us falling apart. Tonight each time something weird happened, we stepped up and snuffed it out.

Stovall should make SportsCenter for his catch to end that rally. We did have some bad luck in that inning to get those runners on, but it evened out on that play. That is a guy that was a catcher in high school last year. He's going to be really good for us as well. Gridley was solid and had a really nice solid single.

Rooker had a tough night at the plate. Mangum was awesome again. You don't see the leadoff hitter intentionally walked very often- we need to get Robson back so that the next time we are in that situation it's Lowe, Humphreys, or Rooker hitting behind him. Jake made a HUGE play on a diving catch. The man has become my favorite player on the team. And we get to see him for two more years. Humphreys did a NICE job of hitting to go opposite field to drive in our first run of the game and give us the lead early putting the pressure on them. Cody Brown did a nice job getting the SAC bunt down- but we have to execute better to drive those runs in when given an opportunity like that. When the infield is in, the WORST thing you can do is strike out. Put the ball in play and force the issue.

The only bad thing about tonight was I thought we ran ourselves out of some innings trying to steal some bases and messing up some hit and runs. Ole Miss actually did a good job of that tonight to their credit- they pulled a couple of hit and runs off very well. We did an even better job of getting out of trouble though. And that was ultimately the difference in the game for us.

The good news for us is we only have ONE OOC game left at Troy. That means that we can basically focus on SEC play for the most part and maybe even more importantly it means our bullpen will be even more rested in general. Alabama this weekend is going to be tough for our hitters- they have been terrible during midweek so them losing to Samford or anyone else is not a surprise. But they have been good on the weekend- they have a series win over LSU. They have struggled hitting the ball throughout the season. We may see some games kind of like tonight where we have to muster enough offense and then play good defense to win but pitch well. On Thursday it's going to be two Golden Spike Award candidates going up against each other in Hudson and Bramlett. I'll be happy with two out of three just because it is on the road and I think Alabama is a very good team. Plus everytime we play them, something weird seems to happen and we lose a game.

In closing, I saw an interview yesterday that Ryan Cyr did that made me smile. Someone asked him why we have been so good on the road. His response was "Well, you know- on the road we get to bat first. And we just like to punch people in the mouth first if we can." Paraphrased.

Enjoy work tomorrow my friends, and as Jackie Sherrill used to say- you can drink your coffee proudly from your MSU mug at work tomorrow. Proud of OUR MSU baseball team- and look forward to finishing the year strong. Hail State!

blacklistedbully
04-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Good write-up, Todd.

BulldogBear
04-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Good write-up, Todd.

+1

BossDawg
04-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Nevermind. You answered my question at the end.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
04-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Always enjoy reading your thoughts on the team.

Hail State...Hell Yeah!

msstate7
04-27-2016, 06:15 AM
We haven't allowed a midweek run since the 2nd inning vs Memphis 2 weeks ago. That's 30 straight scoreless innings by our midweek guys... Outstanding

raymond21
04-27-2016, 06:47 AM
We have had some bad looking at bats on Sunday and Tuesday. Lot of swing and misses on balls 2 ft off the plate

Dolphus Raymond
04-27-2016, 06:56 AM
"Bluto ERA of 0.00."
Nice.

BrunswickDawg
04-27-2016, 07:21 AM
"Bluto ERA of 0.00."
Nice.
"7 years of college down the drain."

The thing about this team is they are really starting to gel down the stretch - like almost all of Cohen's teams have. The difference between this year and any other year (including 2013) is that we had enough talent to get us through most of the early hiccups of a season and run an SEC gauntlet with they way our conference schedule was front loaded. All of this before we start to really shake out roles for the stretch drive in May. May is the month we have normally made our teams - look at the runs we made in '11, '12, & '13. If Cyr, Houston, and Pilk continue to be able to give us strong innings we are going to be a real force. This is going to be a fun couple of months!

Johnson85
04-27-2016, 07:34 AM
I am especially proud of Jacob Billingsley. I remember watching him work out in the bullpen during the Oregon series in pre-game and he was having a lot of problems with his leg left and just his mechanics in general. To see how far he has come and to pitch like he did tonight- he earned the MVP. He was outstanding tonight. His breaking ball was totally filthy and he was throwing it for strikes.

First time I've seen Billingsley on TV and I bet other teams will end up hating him if he becomes a bigger part of our pitching. From the moment he came out, something about him just screamed cocky a-hole to me. Don't know what it was, but I liked seeing it.

And it will be interesting to see what we do with Cyr. He has to start figuring into the equation as well. So explain the SEC roster thing. Is it like in football, where you can only dress out so many players for conference game, but for OOC games you can put a hundred on the sideline if you want to? If he has not been on the SEC roster, I'm assuming we're going to have to move him there, especially for the tournament. So I assume there is a position player on the bench somewhere that is about to get bumped?

Mangum was awesome again. You don't see the leadoff hitter intentionally walked very often- we need to get Robson back so that the next time we are in that situation it's Lowe, Humphreys, or Rooker hitting behind him. Jake made a HUGE play on a diving catch. The man has become my favorite player on the team. And we get to see him for two more years.

What are Mangum's pro prospects? Maybe a stupid question, but does his game translate well to the pros? Do his defense, athleticism, etc. all look to be pro quality, or is his ability to put the bat on the ball elite and he'll need to work on other places, etc? Just curious as somebody that doesn't put an eye on a baseball game when MSU isn't playing.

BB30
04-27-2016, 08:55 AM
First time I've seen Billingsley on TV and I bet other teams will end up hating him if he becomes a bigger part of our pitching. From the moment he came out, something about him just screamed cocky a-hole to me. Don't know what it was, but I liked seeing it.

So explain the SEC roster thing. Is it like in football, where you can only dress out so many players for conference game, but for OOC games you can put a hundred on the sideline if you want to? If he has not been on the SEC roster, I'm assuming we're going to have to move him there, especially for the tournament. So I assume there is a position player on the bench somewhere that is about to get bumped?

What are Mangum's pro prospects? Maybe a stupid question, but does his game translate well to the pros? Do his defense, athleticism, etc. all look to be pro quality, or is his ability to put the bat on the ball elite and he'll need to work on other places, etc? Just curious as somebody that doesn't put an eye on a baseball game when MSU isn't playing.

He definitely has some tools to work with that scouts will like. One thing that I think hurts him is his size. There is really only one position that he profiles with and that is CF, that will hurt him a little bit. It is a little to early to tell. If he continues to be this consistent my guess is a lot of teams will like him. I don't see him being a 1st rounder due to size and tools but could def be an Adam Frazier type at the plate. He has a little more size and could probably put on a few pounds. One thing that helps Adam is he is very versatile defensively you can move him around so he has some benefit as a utility guy. With Mangum being a lefty that kind of negates him being quite as versatile defensively. Obviously being a switch hitter will benefit him. In order to become an elite prospect (mid 1st rd type guy) He will have to find some more power. But overall I think he will end up profiling as a 5-12th rd pick. Its still really early so some things could change.

Duckdog
04-27-2016, 09:20 AM
My thoughts??? We won, we didn't cheat GTHOM

Backwoodsdawg
04-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Well thought out as usual Todd, good job. There were some bad at bats last night from several but for the most part they all have had some really good ones at different times when we needed it. If we keep pitching and playing hard nosed defense like we have lately this group can go a long way!

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 10:51 AM
He definitely has some tools to work with that scouts will like. One thing that I think hurts him is his size. There is really only one position that he profiles with and that is CF, that will hurt him a little bit. It is a little to early to tell. If he continues to be this consistent my guess is a lot of teams will like him. I don't see him being a 1st rounder due to size and tools but could def be an Adam Frazier type at the plate. He has a little more size and could probably put on a few pounds. One thing that helps Adam is he is very versatile defensively you can move him around so he has some benefit as a utility guy. With Mangum being a lefty that kind of negates him being quite as versatile defensively. Obviously being a switch hitter will benefit him. In order to become an elite prospect (mid 1st rd type guy) He will have to find some more power. But overall I think he will end up profiling as a 5-12th rd pick. Its still really early so some things could change.

If he actually improves and keeps hitting .430 in the SEC and Postseason, I am not sure he has to hit homers to go in the first round. He needs to steal bases and keep getting on base at a 50% rate. Some team will take him in the first round if he does that for 3 years.

maroonmania
04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Well thought out as usual Todd, good job. There were some bad at bats last night from several but for the most part they all have had some really good ones at different times when we needed it. If we keep pitching and playing hard nosed defense like we have lately this group can go a long way!

Speaking of bad at bats, if I was a pitcher I would probably just feed Rooker a steady diet of low breaking balls that go into the dirt. He doesn't seem to be able to lay off of them.

BB30
04-27-2016, 11:29 AM
If he actually improves and keeps hitting .430 in the SEC and Postseason, I am not sure he has to hit homers to go in the first round. He needs to steal bases and keep getting on base at a 50% rate. Some team will take him in the first round if he does that for 3 years.

Possibly, and I hope he does wind up being a 1st rounder. I just don't see a huge difference in he and Adam Frazier at the plate and Frazier went as a Sr in the 6th although he did not have a strong jr season. You are correct if he continues to hit .430 it probably will not matter although that is unlikely. He has been great for us so far but I think it is a little premature to consider him an elite professional prospect as that is all about upside and potential. There are kids every year that don't go in the top 5 that hit for a great average and have some tools to work with. When your talking about the top 36-40 picks there is a ton of competition both at the college and highschool level. If he continues to hit at a .430 clip he probably does work his way into the 1st round.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Possibly, and I hope he does wind up being a 1st rounder. I just don't see a huge difference in he and Adam Frazier at the plate and Frazier went as a Sr in the 6th although he did not have a strong jr season. You are correct if he continues to hit .430 it probably will not matter although that is unlikely. He has been great for us so far but I think it is a little premature to consider him an elite professional prospect as that is all about upside and potential. There are kids every year that don't go in the top 5 that hit for a great average and have some tools to work with. When your talking about the top 36-40 picks there is a ton of competition both at the college and highschool level. If he continues to hit at a .430 clip he probably does work his way into the 1st round.

Mangum is listed at 6' 185 lbs. I don't think it's a stretch that he will be around 200 lbs in 2 years... This should lead to more power. If mangum does develop a little power, base stealing, and defense in cf, he could be a decent prospect. I think he has all the tools to accomplish all 3. Right now, mangum is slugging .540 with an ops of 1.030... Not bad

BB30
04-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Mangum is listed at 6' 185 lbs. I don't think it's a stretch that he will be around 200 lbs in 2 years... This should lead to more power. If mangum does develop a little power, base stealing, and defense in cf, he could be a decent prospect. I think he has all the tools to accomplish all 3. Right now, mangum is slugging .540 with an ops of 1.030... Not bad

No doubt there is some potential there.He has a couple of years to make that move and I hope he does. He is a lot of fun to watch.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
No doubt there is some potential there.He has a couple of years to make that move and I hope he does. He is a lot of fun to watch.

Mangum also has that Dustin Pedroia quality. He is just a gamer. It is kind of like in the NFL when they say he has a motor that doesn't stop.

BB30
04-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Mangum also has that Dustin Pedroia quality. He is just a gamer. It is kind of like in the NFL when they say he has a motor that doesn't stop.

For sure, he is a blast to watch play. Gets after it every pitch. No matter where he is selected I am sure he will have success.

lastmajordog
04-27-2016, 06:14 PM
"Harrumph"!! The Governor.....(Blazing Saddles)