PDA

View Full Version : Man I just don't get it. Will tonight's win do much to change?

klong-dog
04-26-2016, 10:29 PM
I know we need to keep winning. RPI is horse shit. Even winning our rpi will be tough to move up with the rest of our remaining opp and could possibly plummet losing to any of the remaining opp. Exception of Bama.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/

Original48
04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Our RPI will go down tonight due to beating a lower ranked top 15 team. Ole Miss' RPI will go up because the played a highly ranked team who has three top 10 road sec wins. In short I'm being sarcastic but I'm probably right.

Taog Redloh
04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
How do you not "get it"? Do you understand math?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_Percentage_Index

We all know RPI can be gamed. We just have to hope the committee understands that. RPI is a useful tool, but it is just that, a TOOL.

Taog Redloh
04-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Our RPI will go down tonight due to beating a lower ranked top 15 team. Ole Miss' RPI will go up because the played a highly ranked team who has three top 10 road sec wins.

That's not true. Our RPI will go up because 1 - we won.....and 2 - OM has a good winning percentage, and so does their opponents (obviously). Our RATING will go up, but our rank could go down, I suppose, though I doubt it.

Original48
04-26-2016, 10:44 PM
That's not true. Our RPI will go up because 1 - we won.....and 2 - OM has a good winning percentage, and so does their opponents (obviously). Our RATING will go up, but our rank could go down, I suppose, though I doubt it.
you seem almost as educated in these ratings as I don't

Todd4State
04-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Don't worry about RPI. It's just one thing that the committee looks at and it isn't an end all be all. Plus, our RPI is not bad at all. It's top 15- I would worry if it was 50 or worse.

Our SOS is really good plus we have a LOT of quality SEC road series wins, and some quality OOC wins over USM who might win C-USA and South Alabama who might win the Sun Belt.

The KEY for us right now is to take care of business going forward.

klong-dog
04-27-2016, 02:54 AM
Good points Todd, I have heard some announcers lately (seems like McDonald) say that they weigh so heavily on rpi. Regardless, our body of work can be put up against anyone to this point. Obviously we got to get at least 2 against Bama and stay rolling in the final 3 series.

sleepy dawg
04-27-2016, 09:23 AM
I know we need to keep winning. RPI is horse shit. Even winning our rpi will be tough to move up with the rest of our remaining opp and could possibly plummet losing to any of the remaining opp. Exception of Bama.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/

Our non conference RPI is 73. That's what has really hurt our overall this year... Those terrible ass losses don't just disappear.

Another good tool to go along with RPI is ELO CHESS rating, which is similar to what was used for computer BCS rankings by some models.
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2016/elochess

RPI (and other tools like it) aren't shit, they're just tools and a way to put things in a comparable model. No humans are going to be able to watch and remember every single game. These tools help us where we fall short with ability to watch and judge games in addition to bias-ness.

RPI, ELO, and human polls are all good tools, and I like to look and compare all of them. They all have value, but there is no perfect tool, and there never will be.

mic
04-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Win the series against Bama
Beat Troy
Sweep 1 maybe 2 of the next 3
And that should lock up a national seed..
I don't give a **** with the RPI says...

maroonmania
04-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Last night was great because to the committee its just as much another SEC win as an actual SEC win. I'm thinking 18-12 might even get us to a lower National Seed at this point. Of course a lot depends on what everyone else does as well that are all fighting for a Top 8 spot. We would almost have to go to pieces at this point not to be a Top 16 regional host.

Jack Lambert
04-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Last night was great because to the committee its just as much another SEC win as an actual SEC win. I'm thinking 18-12 might even get us to a lower National Seed at this point. Of course a lot depends on what everyone else does as well that are all fighting for a Top 8 spot. We would almost have to go to pieces at this point not to be a Top 16 regional host.

When you go to their prediction they got Ole Miss as the number 5 national seed.

Percho
04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
RPI should have an adjustment put in, relative to how young a team is that changes as the year progresses. I believe relative as to how our young pitching is coming along, games we lost early in the year we would win today. John plays a lot of young guys early for experience and to see where they are that should receive some factor into the total RPI.

ScoobaDawg
04-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Everyone is stressing over RPI too much... as it has been shown The committee will take teams outside the top 8. Plus its only one tool.
Just keep winning series. Sweeping Auburn and Arkansas might be the trick because losing to them would be a bad lose.. even if it is an sec team.

BrunswickDawg
04-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Everyone is stressing over RPI too much... as it has been shown The committee will take teams outside the top 8. Plus its only one tool.
Just keep winning series. Sweeping Auburn and Arkansas might be the trick because losing to them would be a bad lose.. even if it is an sec team.
Something to add to their thought process - MSU and A&M might be the only 2 teams to make through the SEC grind with only 1 series loss if we take care of business. That will speak volumns about our team.

maroonmania
04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
When you go to their prediction they got Ole Miss as the number 5 national seed.

Still season left to go but as of right now there is no way I could see OM as a national seed and us not be. OM is a farce to be at RPI #7. They are 2-8 against SEC teams currently with a .500 or better SEC record. They are essentially living off of beating a lot of lower division SEC teams and a series win over Louisville that happened a week into the season before Louisville got up and rolling.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 03:39 PM

17 you. You don't talk about the 17ing no hitter. Everyone make sure and remember if we fall apart down the stretch it was maroonmania who jinxed the shit out of us.

I agree but don't say that shit out loud or the Indians might hear.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Still season left to go but as of right now there is no way I could see OM as a national seed and us not be. OM is a farce to be at RPI #7. They are 2-8 against SEC teams currently with a .500 or better SEC record. They are essentially living off of beating a lot of lower division SEC teams and a series win over Louisville that happened a week into the season before Louisville got up and rolling.

We are also 3-1 against them with 1 win at a neutral site. I don't see anyway UM gets a National Seed. USCe, UF, A&M, and State are ahead of them if the committee knows anything about baseball. They would also have to beat out Vandy. USM might host a Regional and they are not going to have 3 Regionals in the state of MS.

maroonmania
04-27-2016, 03:56 PM
17 you. You don't talk about the 17ing no hitter. Everyone make sure and remember if we fall apart down the stretch it was maroonmania who jinxed the shit out of us.

I agree but don't say that shit out loud or the Indians might hear.

Uh oh, if we don't host I guess I may have to ban myself from the board for 30 days.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Uh oh, if we don't host I guess I may have to ban myself from the board for 30 days.

Just change your name to whatever Goat or WillJames doesn't have.

AlmostPositive
04-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Maybe I'm just dumb but lowering your assessment of a team simply because they beat a poor opponent is exactly as foolish as raising it because they lost to a great opponent.

ScoobaDawg
04-27-2016, 06:28 PM
another point to remember... the SEC tourny... to have a chance to be a national we need to make it to the finals if not win I would guess.

EdDawg
04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Unless it has changed in the past few years, hosting sites are chosen before the SEC championship game.