PDA

View Full Version : If we can keep doing what we are doing

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Guys is there a reason to think we can't win the whole damn thing this year? I mean I hate to get the cart ahead of the horse but the coaches poll ranked us 4th this week with Florida, Texas A&M and Miami in front of us. We went 1-1 against in series against 2 of those 3 teams. And to be honest I think Miami is overrated in a weaker conference. Not saying they aren't good and they have some good wins but I think the ACC is weaker than the SEC by a long shot. If we can stay hot and finish strong with a little help from some other teams we could get make a run again. I know it's so soon to really say but I don't see any reason why we couldn't if some pitchers can figure it out by the end. I'm usually not that optimistic so I'm not trying to get my hopes up but let's be honest I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we went on to win the damn thing.

Martianlander
04-26-2016, 08:26 AM
I hope you are right but we have got to find a consistent third pitcher, then I'll be more optimistic.

MetEdDawg
04-26-2016, 08:30 AM
My biggest concern is the bullpen and any other starter past Hudson and Sexton. I'm not sure we've got the arms to win the whole thing. We can win a regional because of the talent we will be facing and we can win a Super Regional because we can win the 1st two games against any team in the country because of Hudson and Sexton. A third game would be questionable here.

If we get to the CWS, we could get through the winners bracket again with Hudson and Sexton, but against that type of competition, I'm not sure we could get through a 3rd or possibly 4th game to get to the finals.

However, I will say that we still have 4 weeks left and that this team does have a lot of the components to get to the CWS. We hit the hell out of the baseball and we have two legit weekend starters. We are very good defensively and we have good speed. We need a 3rd starter and at least one arm out of the bullpen to step up and get hot. If we can do that, yes I agree this team has the components to get to the CWS and make noise.

HSVDawg
04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
We can make some noise if we can find some reliable arms out of the bullpen and Sexton / Hudson get to be more consistent. But we have a long way to go. And regarding the ACC, they are not weaker than the SEC by a long shot. Both conferences are extremely strong and each should have at least 4 host sites and at least 3 national seeds.

lefty96
04-26-2016, 08:34 AM
I hope you are right but we have got to find a consistent third pitcher, then I'll be more optimistic.

This - if we had a 3rd pitcher, we'd be talking national championship.

BulldogBear
04-26-2016, 09:07 AM
My biggest concern is the bullpen and any other starter past Hudson and Sexton. I'm not sure we've got the arms to win the whole thing. We can win a regional because of the talent we will be facing and we can win a Super Regional because we can win the 1st two games against any team in the country because of Hudson and Sexton. A third game would be questionable here.

If we get to the CWS, we could get through the winners bracket again with Hudson and Sexton, but against that type of competition, I'm not sure we could get through a 3rd or possibly 4th game to get to the finals.

However, I will say that we still have 4 weeks left and that this team does have a lot of the components to get to the CWS. We hit the hell out of the baseball and we have two legit weekend starters. We are very good defensively and we have good speed. We need a 3rd starter and at least one arm out of the bullpen to step up and get hot. If we can do that, yes I agree this team has the components to get to the CWS and make noise.

Remember that if you get thru the first two games you get 3 days off before you play again. By the time you have to play your 4th game, you are back to your weekend rotation. If we can get there, we have a shot at th3 big one.

We are built for a winners bracket, but cannot falter. We're built to win 2 of 2. Not so much 2 of 3.

MarketingBully
04-26-2016, 09:21 AM
We have a third pitcher in Pilkington. That four run spot he gave up in the fourth was because of our infield. Once that happened, the flood gates opened up. That loss wasn't on the pitching as much as our infield lost concentration with our mentality on Sunday's after taking the first two of the series. I am very curious how Ryan Cyr does tonight as well. We have great young arms. Just will depend on if they mature enough to help us make a run at the end of the year. If they do that, we will have a chance if we get to Omaha. I will make another prediction and A&M doesn't make the CWS. They seem to choke in the super regionals.

MarketingBully
04-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Can Humphries become a legitimate closer? Can Rigby give us more innings? Can Daniel Brown develop into an inning eater out of the bullpen? Can Breaux continue to develop? Can Houston give us great innings out of the pen? If you answer yes to these questions our bullpen all of a sudden becomes a strength.

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 09:27 AM
We need Houston to pitch like he did against UF and Daniel Brown to continue to bring it. Hump needs to be our closer but he just needs to pitch the 9th unless it is the championship game of a Regional, SR, or national title. We need some freshmen to step up. Pilk is about where most good freshmen pitchers are, good once thru the lineup and then things get dicey. Get Robson and Alexander back and it improves our offense tremendously and our late inning defense. Alexander is probably one of the best defensive SS in the SEC but unfortunately hits like most freshmen do.

If Hudson and Sexton are both on, our offense is good enough to win a series against anyone in the country which we have already proven multiple times. When you get in the postseason a lot of times it is just the team that wants it the most. I like our team makeup in that respect. We are night and day different from last year.

mic
04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
We need Houston to pitch like he did against UF and Daniel Brown to continue to bring it. Hump needs to be our closer but he just needs to pitch the 9th unless it is the championship game of a Regional, SR, or national title. We need some freshmen to step up. Pilk is about where most good freshmen pitchers are, good once thru the lineup and then things get dicey. Get Robson and Alexander back and it improves our offense tremendously and our late inning defense. Alexander is probably one of the best defensive SS in the SEC but unfortunately hits like most freshmen do.

If Hudson and Sexton are both on, our offense is good enough to win a series against anyone in the country which we have already proven multiple times. When you get in the postseason a lot of times it is just the team that wants it the most. I like our team makeup in that respect. We are night and day different from last year.

It's time to turn the page on Houston.... And hopefully the page has already been turned on Tatum..
Just run the freshman out there and give them a shot...
Im not sure how Alexander improves or offense...
I agree with Brown.. Keep his ass in the pen for long or short relief along with Rigby.. And if we need Hump in the 9th he has to be ready to go...

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 09:35 AM
It's time to turn the page on Houston.... And hopefully the page has already been turned on Tatum..
Just run the freshman out there and give them a shot...
Im not sure how Alexander improves or offense...
I agree with Brown.. Keep his ass in the pen for long or short relief along with Rigby.. And if we need Hump in the 9th he has to be ready to go...

Didn't word it correctly, Robson improves our offense and Alexander will improve our late inning defense. I will say Alexander has some pop in his bat and he isn't much worse than Stovall and Holland.

MarketingBully
04-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Is Jared Padgett hurt? If not, we should give him more chances. A kid who turned down a third round draft day to come to college deserves more then a couple of appearances unless he is hurt.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-26-2016, 09:43 AM
A few things need to happen:

1) Bullpen has to step up. We need at least two guys to pitch to their abilities. Can't have a hit or miss situation. They have to come through.
2) Need Robson to come back and be his old self. Hopefully his injury won't linger and keep him from being 100%.
3) Need the infield to make the routine plays. Collins has to at least make the routine plays. I've given up on him moving 2 steps to his left or right and diving to make a stop on a hard hit ball. He is too slow to react. If teams were smart they would lay down bunts towards him all day and I'm not sure he'd ever make a play. Not even worth mentioning his approach at the plate. Gridley has improved tremendously, but is still a middle of the pack SEC shortstop at best. Stovall has done a great job defensively, making his first error this past weekend. He could be sharper on his relay in double play balls. That will come. Lowe has exceeded my expectations at first, save for the brain fart on the pop up on Sunday.
4) L.A. needs to get back healthy. Could use his glove.
5) I wish we could give Marrero a few games off. I'm afraid he's beginning to hit the freshman wall. His hitting has taken a nose dive lately.
6) Lastly, just need to get hot at the right time. It happens every year....a couple of teams are just hot when it matters most.

MarketingBully
04-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Didn't word it correctly, Robson improves our offense and Alexander will improve our late inning defense. I will say Alexander has some pop in his bat and he isn't much worse than Stovall and Holland.

Yeah, stick LA at SS and move Gridley to second and put LA batting ninth. You can't play Gridley at shortstop if you have two foot radius Collins playing third. Just doesn't work. How many hits have gone through the 3b/SS side of the infield? I would reckon about 70% and most of the shots at third would have been routine plays for average SEC third basemen. If you want to know the real weakness of this team, it's third base defense.

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 09:50 AM

1) Bullpen has to step up. We need at least two guys to pitch to their abilities. Can't have a hit or miss situation. They have to come through.
2) Need Robson to come back and be his old self. Hopefully his injury won't linger and keep him from being 100%.
3) Need the infield to make the routine plays. Collins has to at least make the routine plays. I've given up on him moving 2 steps to his left or right and diving to make a stop on a hard hit ball. He is too slow to react. If teams were smart they would lay down bunts towards him all day and I'm not sure he'd ever make a play. Not even worth mentioning his approach at the plate. Gridley has improved tremendously, but is still a middle of the pack SEC shortstop at best. Stovall has done a great job defensively, making his first error this past weekend. He could be sharper on his relay in double play balls. That will come. Lowe has exceeded my expectations at first, save for the brain fart on the pop up on Sunday.
5) I wish we could give Marrero a few games off. I'm afraid he's beginning to hit the freshman wall. His hitting has taken a nose dive lately.
6) Lastly, just need to get hot at the right time. It happens every year....a couple of teams are just hot when it matters most.

Collins approach is pretty much no matter the situation, I am going to swing hard enough to give myself a hernia.

Kruger needs to be able to catch 1 game a weekend. That would get his bat in the lineup along with Rooker/Hump when Robson comes back. Kruger or Rooker is probably the odd man out if Marrero is catching. I figure it will be Hump, Robson, and Mangum in the outfield with either Rooker or Kruger DH. It just sucks because both are hitting the ball well and both bat from the right side.

mic
04-26-2016, 09:55 AM

#5 .. I agree.. Almost want to give the kid the night off tonight... But it's hard not to play him on the weekends... He is A+ catcher behind the dish for a freshman... but his swing was getting long and dragging this weekend..

msstate7
04-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Gonna be a ton of pressure on Hudson and sexton to win every postseason start. That doesn't always work out... Ask Stratton. We have to have some pitchers step up. Maybe cyr becomes one tonight

Cowboydawg
04-26-2016, 10:16 AM
How good would this team be with Austin Riley at 3rd? And providing another arm out of the bullpen or even starting? Wow what could've been.

msstate7
04-26-2016, 10:45 AM
How good would this team be with Austin Riley at 3rd? And providing another arm out of the bullpen or even starting? Wow what could've been.

I think we would be a better team had he just kept Luke Reynolds. Run a straight platoon at 3b between Luke and Gavin. There's also been key spots this year when a lh pinch hitter would've been great to have. We're rh heavy in the middle of our lineup and Luke would've been great to break them up. He hit .370 in sec play last year... Just not sure why he didn't suit up this year. Oh well...

Oh and Austin would've been fantastic

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
This - if we had a 3rd pitcher, we'd be talking national championship..

Backwoodsdawg
04-26-2016, 11:01 AM
I think we would be a better team had he just kept Luke Reynolds. Run a straight platoon at 3b between Luke and Gavin. There's also been key spots this year when a lh pinch hitter would've been great to have. We're rh heavy in the middle of our lineup and Luke would've been great to break them up. He hit .370 in sec play last year... Just not sure why he didn't suit up this year. Oh well...

Oh and Austin would've been fantastic

Reynolds is a good kid and swung a good bat during the fall and spring but he did have a pretty hard time fielding balls consistently at 3rd base more so than Collins for whatever reason. That has to be the only reason they red shirted him. That and they thought with time Gavin would become the best 3rd baseman in the SEC. Just my 2 cents.

msstate7
04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Reynolds is a good kid and swung a good bat during the fall and spring but he did have a pretty hard time fielding balls consistently at 3rd base more so than Collins for whatever reason. That has to be the only reason they red shirted him. That and they thought with time Gavin would become the best 3rd baseman in the SEC. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, Luke's defense had to be the issue. Still think he would've been valuable as a lh ph.

Backwoodsdawg
04-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Luke's defense had to be the issue. Still think he would've been valuable as a lh ph.

There is no doubt he would have helped there.

msstate7
04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
There is no doubt he would have helped there.

I don't claim to know what Cohen was thinking, but I bet he thought mangum would fill that ph role and he's a switch. I'm not sure even our coaches knew mangum was gonna be this good. We probably thought rooker, Robson, and hump would be the outfield, but mangum has forced his way in the lineup now

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 12:29 PM

I agree! I really hope Cyr's nuts drop tonight and he shuts Ole Miss down. I would love to give him a weekend start if he can continue to progress

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't claim to know what Cohen was thinking, but I bet he thought mangum would fill that ph role and he's a switch. I'm not sure even our coaches knew mangum was gonna be this good. We probably thought rooker, Robson, and hump would be the outfield, but mangum has forced his way in the lineup now

Mangum is a freaking dirtbag. I love the way that kid plays! He leaves everything he has out on that diamond. He isn't worried about a home run or hitting a double. He's just trying to get on base to start a rally or keep one going. He is the true definition of a team guy that just wants to win at all costs.

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Mangum is a freaking dirtbag. I love the way that kid plays! He leaves everything he has out on that diamond. He isn't worried about a home run or hitting a double. He's just trying to get on base to start a rally or keep one going. He is the true definition of a team guy that just wants to win at all costs.

This seems to be almost our entire lineup right now. I am loving the way this team competes. If we can turn it on the last game of the series then we can be dangerous. No matter what I think we are going to be in good shape going forward especially with the way we are recruiting.

sleepy dawg
04-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Guys is there a reason to think we can't win the whole damn thing this year? I mean I hate to get the cart ahead of the horse but the coaches poll ranked us 4th this week with Florida, Texas A&M and Miami in front of us. We went 1-1 against in series against 2 of those 3 teams. And to be honest I think Miami is overrated in a weaker conference. Not saying they aren't good and they have some good wins but I think the ACC is weaker than the SEC by a long shot. If we can stay hot and finish strong with a little help from some other teams we could get make a run again. I know it's so soon to really say but I don't see any reason why we couldn't if some pitchers can figure it out by the end. I'm usually not that optimistic so I'm not trying to get my hopes up but let's be honest I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we went on to win the damn thing.

Of course we can win the whole damn thing this year... However, we are not the best team in the country this season, or even right now. We're going to have to get hot at the right time. The consensus #1 probably wins less than 50% of time. If you make the post season, you can win it all.

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 12:57 PM
This seems to be almost our entire lineup right now. I am loving the way this team competes. If we can turn it on the last game of the series then we can be dangerous. No matter what I think we are going to be in good shape going forward especially with the way we are recruiting.

I agree this team has shown a lot more grit and want to then the last couple of years.

Tbonewannabe
Of course we can win the whole damn thing this year... However, we are not the best team in the country this season, or even right now. We're going to have to get hot at the right time. The consensus #1 probably wins less than 50% of time. If you make the post season, you can win it all.

Fresno St is proof that you have a chance if you get into the Regionals and then get hot. It is all about playing your best baseball at the end of the year. Our 2013 team wasn't the 2nd best team that year except at the end.

djaymsu5

True. I just hope we can get hot like the 2013 year again but if we get to that natty series bring home the hardware.

breazy
04-26-2016, 01:03 PM

I don't understand your use of the "dirt bag", I generally use that phrase when describing someone whom is of unsavory character. If i were to try to describe the way he's playing right now, I'd say he's the quintessential horror movie villain (think, Freddy, Jason.etc) No matter where you go, how fast you run(pitch), he's there screwing up your day. He's not a dirt bag though. Just plays the role of villain to the other team every time he suits up.

Backwoodsdawg
04-26-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't understand your use of the "dirt bag", I generally use that phrase when describing someone whom is of unsavory character. If i were to try to describe the way he's playing right now, I'd say he's the quintessential horror movie villain (think, Freddy, Jason.etc) No matter where you go, how fast you run(pitch), he's there screwing up your day. He's not a dirt bag though. Just plays the role of villain to the other team every time he suits up.

In "Baseball" the term "Dirtbag" is used for someone who plays their ass off from the beginning to the end. They give 100% no mater what point of the game it is or if they are having a good or bad day! "Dirtbag" is a serious compliment in the world of baseball and we have several of them in the line up right now!

breazy
04-26-2016, 01:23 PM
It's been 15 or so years since I last played, however, I cannot ever recall hearing that before in all the ball I've played, watched, worked, etc. Strange how things that generally have a negative connotation sometimes become a positive thing. Next thing i know we'll be calling him a shitbag because that's dirtier than a dirtbag.

msstate7
04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
In "Baseball" the term "Dirtbag" is used for someone who plays their ass off from the beginning to the end. They give 100% no mater what point of the game it is or if they are having a good or bad day! "Dirtbag" is a serious compliment in the world of baseball and we have several of them in the line up right now!

Yep. I think Brandon Crawford in mlb is probably the guy this term fits better than anyone. Mangum certainly qualifies too

HoopsDawg
04-26-2016, 02:13 PM
When Robson comes back, he, Mangum, and Rooker need to be in the everyday lineup. Then you also have to have Hump and Kruger in there. And you have Collins who has a nice obp and has hit 7 bombs.

I think we need to move Hump to 3rd, let Kruger catch, and put Collins at DH. This gets our best bats in the lineup and improves our defense. Also, Stovall and/or Holland are not doing enough at the plate to justify Alexander so sitting on the bench.

With that in mind, my lineup would be:

1. Mangum, LF
2. Kruger, C
3. Rooker, RF
4. Hump, 3B
5. Lowe, 1B
6. Collins, DH
7. Robson, CF (until he gets back in the swing of things)
8. Gridley, 2B
9. Alexander, SS

This is a much better team defensively and gets our top hitters in the game.

HoopsDawg
04-26-2016, 02:25 PM

I don't think you can give up on Houston. The guy still has great stats and we know he has great stuff. I'm disappointed he isn't starting tonight. I agree with Todd that he is a better fit as a starter than reliever. I think he should be our Sunday guy. He's got a 2.25 ERA which is 2nd best on the team. Teams are only hitting .244 against him. And he's only thrown 20 innings this year. He actually pitched less than Keegan James and Vance Tatum!!!

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I don't think you can give up on Houston. The guy still has great stats and we know he has great stuff. I'm disappointed he isn't starting tonight. I agree with Todd that he is a better fit as a starter than reliever. I think he should be our Sunday guy. He's got a 2.25 ERA which is 2nd best on the team. Teams are only hitting .244 against him. And he's only thrown 20 innings this year. He actually pitched less than Keegan James and Vance Tatum!!!

He seems to be great when he is on but when he gets tired you need to have a quick hook. Wes and Cohen managed him perfect at UF, he was cruising then all the sudden started going down hill.

HoopsDawg
04-26-2016, 02:36 PM
He seems to be great when he is on but when he gets tired you need to have a quick hook. Wes and Cohen managed him perfect at UF, he was cruising then all the sudden started going down hill.

I think a Houston, Daniel Brown, Hump trio on Sunday would get the job done.

Tbonewannabe
04-26-2016, 03:08 PM
I think a Houston, Daniel Brown, Hump trio on Sunday would get the job done.

That would also be a hard throwing Right, Left, Right matchup. I think we need Hump for the 9th inning for any game possible. Unless Houston went 5 or so and Brown got him to the 9th. Hump seems to be able to bring it on consecutive days like Fri and Sat.

HoopsDawg
04-26-2016, 03:14 PM
That would also be a hard throwing Right, Left, Right matchup. I think we need Hump for the 9th inning for any game possible. Unless Houston went 5 or so and Brown got him to the 9th. Hump seems to be able to bring it on consecutive days like Fri and Sat.

Yep Breaux might could give us 1 inning. I like Hudson-Rigby on Friday. Then Sexton, Hump on Saturdays.

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 05:05 PM

Thankyou

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 05:09 PM
It's been 15 or so years since I last played, however, I cannot ever recall hearing that before in all the ball I've played, watched, worked, etc. Strange how things that generally have a negative connotation sometimes become a positive thing. Next thing i know we'll be calling him a shitbag because that's dirtier than a dirtbag.

I understand it's been used in a negative way but I meant it in the most positive way ever. That kid is a ball player

djaymsu5
04-26-2016, 05:24 PM
When Robson comes back, he, Mangum, and Rooker need to be in the everyday lineup. Then you also have to have Hump and Kruger in there. And you have Collins who has a nice obp and has hit 7 bombs.

I think we need to move Hump to 3rd, let Kruger catch, and put Collins at DH. This gets our best bats in the lineup and improves our defense. Also, Stovall and/or Holland are not doing enough at the plate to justify Alexander so sitting on the bench.

With that in mind, my lineup would be:

1. Mangum, LF
2. Kruger, C
3. Rooker, RF
4. Hump, 3B
5. Lowe, 1B
6. Collins, DH
7. Robson, CF (until he gets back in the swing of things)
8. Gridley, 2B
9. Alexander, SS

This is a much better team defensively and gets our top hitters in the game.

I do like that line up although I don't mind having Marerro behind the dish either. He's a freshman and going to be a damn good one. I understand that gives you the best overall lineup though