PDA

View Full Version : Is giving up 10-10-10-8-1-11 last 6 SEC games reason to worry about pitching?

beretta
04-25-2016, 08:55 AM
glass half full, we just took down LSU 2-3 on the road....

half empty, we got embarrassed at home, and giving up a ton of runs the last 6 SEC games.....

I'm beginning to worry about the last 4 SEC series, even if its against the bottom 4 teams.....Alabama may be down there, but they are no slouch of a team

msstate7
04-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Bama's pitching is gonna force us to play good defense bc we won't score a ton

maroonmania
04-25-2016, 09:08 AM

half empty, we got embarrassed at home, and giving up a ton of runs the last 6 SEC games.....

I'm beginning to worry about the last 4 SEC series, even if its against the bottom 4 teams.....Alabama may be down there, but they are no slouch of a team

I'm personally worried about it. Yes, it was great to see Sexton come out an look like a dominant SEC pitcher, but Hudson has either lost some stuff or folks are figuring him out and then the rest of the staff is just pot luck with what you will get in any particular appearance. A couple of promising things is that Humphreys is actually starting to look like a real closer and Daniel Brown seems to be getting his stuff together. At this point I wouldn't be totally against bringing Brown back to starting on Sundays rather than Pilkington.

msstate7
04-25-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm personally worried about it. Yes, it was great to see Sexton come out an look like a dominant SEC pitcher, but Hudson has either lost some stuff or folks are figuring him out and then the rest of the staff is just pot luck with what you will get in any particular appearance. A couple of promising things is that Humphreys is actually starting to look like a real closer and Daniel Brown seems to be getting his stuff together. At this point I wouldn't be totally against bringing Brown back to starting on Sundays rather than Pilkington.

Yeah, unless Hudson gets back to being dominant, I don't plan on winning a super. I do think we'll make one though

engie
04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Gotta worry about something -- so, sure, why not....

A couple of the freshmen are going to get it together before this is over. The next 4 weeks will be the perfect chance to do it.

msstate7
04-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Gotta worry about something -- so, sure, why not....

A couple of the freshmen are going to get it together before this is over. The next 4 weeks will be the perfect chance to do it.

There are reasons to be concerned, but I think we have the pieces to fix our defeciences... Just have to hope guys step up. Really need Hudson to have a good start Thursday night

Well, we don't really have a good answer for 3b defense; but if Collins hits like he's capable, we should be ok

MetEdDawg
04-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm not really concerned because we've been facing some of the best teams in the country the last couple of weeks. It's going to happen, but like someone else said, I guess we have to worry about something. If we didn't we wouldn't be MSU baseball fans.

But for me I'm not worried. TAMU can hit the baseball as good as anyone in the country. And we were on the road in Baton Rouge against a Top 10 team. Had to know some runs would be given up. And we are still growing as a team. Now if we do this the next 3-4 weeks, then I'll be concerned. But for right now I'm not.

Political Hack
04-25-2016, 10:00 AM
We just played 6 games against two of the best hitting teams in the country. I'm not worried at all about Hudson or Sexton. We can beat anyone in the country when those two take the bump.

maroonmania
04-25-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm not really concerned because we've been facing some of the best teams in the country the last couple of weeks. It's going to happen, but like someone else said, I guess we have to worry about something. If we didn't we wouldn't be MSU baseball fans.

But for me I'm not worried. TAMU can hit the baseball as good as anyone in the country. And we were on the road in Baton Rouge against a Top 10 team. Had to know some runs would be given up. And we are still growing as a team. Now if we do this the next 3-4 weeks, then I'll be concerned. But for right now I'm not.

I'm not that worried about Hudson YET. I think he will get things back together. He actually pitched a decent game against LSU its just that the GS given up by Rigby made things look worse than they really were. I am worried about a 3rd starter because that is not something you can sluff off to "things happen". We are getting blasted with runs consistently in nearly every 3rd SEC series game so that's a problem. It didn't just happen against A&M and LSU. GA and UNM smoked us for big run counts on Sunday as well. You don't expect your 3rd starter to be a shutdown guy but you can't expect to win in the SEC giving up double digit runs. I'm just amazed with all the candidates we have that nobody has really stepped up to claim the 3rd spot. Coming into the season you would have thought that one of DBrown, Houston or Tatum could have easily been a serviceable 3rd starter even without relying on the FR but it just hasn't happened. I actually have mixed emotions to this point about the job Wes Johnson has done.

Jack Lambert
04-25-2016, 10:16 AM

We went 6-6 against the four toughest teams we play and four of the best teams in the country, nine of them on the road and you are worried?

MetEdDawg
04-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm not that worried about Hudson YET. I think he will get things back together. He actually pitched a decent game against LSU its just that the GS given up by Rigby made things look worse than they really were. I am worried about a 3rd starter because that is not something you can sluff off to "things happen". We are getting blasted with runs consistently in nearly every 3rd SEC series game so that's a problem. It didn't just happen against A&M and LSU. GA and UNM smoked us for big run counts on Sunday as well. You don't expect your 3rd starter to be a shutdown guy but you can't expect to win in the SEC giving up double digit runs. I'm just amazed with all the candidates we have that nobody has really stepped up to claim the 3rd spot. Coming into the season you would have thought that one of DBrown, Houston or Tatum could have easily been a serviceable 3rd starter even without relying on the FR but it just hasn't happened. I actually have mixed emotions to this point about the job Wes Johnson has done.

I think the Wes Johnson stuff is two fold. One, I think we are realizing that maybe we didn't do as good a job as we should have recruiting arms over the past couple of years. Hudson and Sexton are great, but I was never really high on the others. The fact that so many freshmen are getting innings should also confirm that. Plus our freshmen have been making some real strides. That's a credit to Johnson

Secondly, we are comparing our bullpen to some of the recent absolute monsters we've had and this group of upperclassmen just isn't that. These freshmen may be in a few years, but I think we knew in the back of our minds that bullpen has the possibility of being the weakest link and it's lived up to the billing so far.

djaymsu5
04-25-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't care how many runs the other teams score as long as we score more

msstate7
04-25-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't care how many runs the other teams score as long as we score more

We're 2-4 in that stretch and 0-4 when we allowed more than 10

basedog
04-25-2016, 06:39 PM
You guys need to do what every good team does, just worry about the next game and take it one game at a time.
Why worry about a regional or super? Lots of games to be played. We had a tough first half and over achieved.

Let's win Tuesday first.