PDA

View Full Version : Mike Slive has been hired by OM to help fight the NCAA

Coach34
04-25-2016, 06:24 AM
Those Bearsharks getting serious about their track and women's basketball programs. No mercy NCAA. Mike Slive isnt being hired for a bunch of secondary violations in football.

Freezus has retained a fairly big name himself for representation I hear- dont know the exact name though.

Ive seen a few misconceptions on other sites and Twitter- so let's address some of those:

1. Nobody on Elitedawgs expects OM to get the death penalty. Hopeful? Yes. Expects? No

2. Nobody on Elitedawgs thinks Freezus is getting a show-cause for whats in the current NOA. He may not get one at all- but the NCAA is trying. As I told you- at least two coaches will get them- Saunders got his and the coach Texas fired is likely #2.

3. Whether it's a 2nd letter or the NCAA adding on- we certainly believe more is coming. The vessel by which the NCAA delivers those allegations doesnt matter. I see the Bearsharks constantly say Hugh Freezus isnt mentioned in the NOA- ok. Well he has hired pricey legal advice for a reason. That pricey legal advice isnt needed if the NCAA is only dealing with allegations that pre-date Freezus as we keep being told. Coaches dont hire expensive lawyers for secondary violations the school self-reports. So if Freezus isnt named in anything- not just the NOA, and its a bunch of secondary violations- why the expensive lawyer?

4. Mike Slive isnt being brought on board to help negotiate the loss of 3 scholarships per year for 3 years. Anybody dumb enough to believe that needs a caretaker to help them in everyday life.

5. David Johnson confirmed the NCAA is still digging- just as myself and Rosebowl have been telling people. The NCAA doesnt do random interviews of top recruits anymore- they stopped that practice a few years ago. The NCAA does however interview prospects that other schools turn a particular school in for improprieties.

6. I still expect 1 or 2 members of the current staff to get a show-cause before all is said and done. Freezus may escape this bullet- but somebody is going to take the fall.

7. I dont expect a penalties announcement on OM before summer of 2017.

8. Click an ad.

dawgoneyall
04-25-2016, 06:30 AM
Those Bearsharks getting serious about their track and women's basketball programs. No mercy NCAA. Mike Slive isnt being hired for a bunch of secondary violations in football.

Freezus has retained a fairly big name himself I hear- dont know the exact name though.

Ive seen a few misconceptions on other sites and Twitter- so let's address some of those:

1. Nobody on Elitedawgs expects OM to get the death penalty. Hopeful? Yes. Expects? No

2. Nobody on Elitedawgs thinks Freezus is getting a show-cause for whats in the current NOA. He may not get one at all- but the NCAA is trying. As I told you- at least two coaches will get them- Saunders got his and the coach Texas fired is likely #2.

3. Whether it's a 2nd letter or the NCAA adding on- we certainly believe more is coming. The vessel by which the NCAA delivers those allegations doesnt matter. I see the Bearsharks constantly say Hugh Freezus isnt mentioned in the NOA- ok. Well he has hired pricey legal advice for a reason. That pricey legal advice isnt needed if the NCAA is only dealing with allegations that pre-date Freezus as we keep being told. Coaches dont hire expensive lawyers for secondary violations the school self-reports. So if Freezus isnt named in anything- not just the NOA, and its a bunch of secondary violations- why the expensive lawyer?

4. Mike Slive isnt being brought on board to help negotiate the loss of 3 scholarships per year for 3 years. Anybody dumb enough to believe that needs a caretaker to help them in everyday life.

5. David Johnson confirmed the NCAA is still digging- just as myself and Rosebowl have been telling people. The NCAA doesnt do random interviews of top recruits anymore- they stopped that practice a few years ago. The NCAA does however interview prospects that other schools turn a particular school in for improprieties.

6. I still expect 1 or 2 members of the current staff to get a show-cause before all is said and done. Freezus may escape this bullet- but somebody is going to take the fall.

7. I dont expect a penalties announcement on OM before summer of 2017.

8. Click an ad.

Ut Oh, we are in trouble now.

Coach34
04-25-2016, 06:42 AM
and yet one more thing- Slive being hired by OM wont be written about by the C-L- even though it would be a big story

JDog13
04-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Interesting. Very interesting.

msudawg1200
04-25-2016, 07:08 AM
Freeze will be protected. They'll have assistants, boosters, etc. take the fall, but ol' Freezus will be protected and spared. "He knew nothing" will be the cry.

GreenheadDawg
04-25-2016, 07:12 AM
Freeze will be protected. They'll have assistants, boosters, etc. take the fall, but ol' Freezus will be protected and spared. "He knew nothing" will be the cry.

Bingo. They have plenty of people to take the fall before they allow it to be their head coach.

msstate7
04-25-2016, 07:19 AM

Why would assistants take the blame and perhaps ruin their careers? I can see boosters doing that though

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Why would assistants take the blame and perhaps ruin their careers? I can see boosters doing that though

They wouldn't

I think people are being overly cynicle about how Ole Miss operates.

I'm a little surprised Slive accepted this case. I hope he is charging them out tha ass and doesn't feel like he has some moral responsibility to help them and ask for favors from the NCAA. Surely Slive knows that Ole Miss has gone too far and since it's no longer part of his record as commissioner, I'm not sure why he cares.

BrunswickDawg
04-25-2016, 07:43 AM
They wouldn't

I think people are being overly cynicle about how Ole Miss operates.

I'm a little surprised Slive accepted this case. I hope he is charging them out tha ass and doesn't feel like he has some moral responsibility to help them and ask for favors from the NCAA. Surely Slive knows that Ole Miss has gone too far and since it's no longer part of his record as commissioner, I'm not sure why he cares.

Or maybe Slive is looking out for his own ass??? If I recall correctly, there were rumors floating after 2013 that OM was warned by Slive to "cool it" due to the way they were pissing off schools other than MSU.

AROB44
04-25-2016, 08:00 AM
The hiring of Slive has to help them, but I hope the h*** not.

Coach34
04-25-2016, 08:03 AM
I got to give them credit. We had Bracky and a couple lawyers for our ordeal. They have hired the OJ Simpson legal defense team for some secondary violations that pre-date Freezus.

1bigdawg
04-25-2016, 08:08 AM

He is an attorney and this would be one of his areas of specialization. That is what attorney's do. (No criticism here for it either.)

maroonmania
04-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Bingo. They have plenty of people to take the fall before they allow it to be their head coach.

So its ALWAYS been common practice to insulate the head man to give him plausible deniability, nothing new there. Heck, even Jackie got by with all the A&M stuff because he supposedly "didn't know". But my issue is that its been spouted for weeks now that an "ignorance" defense for the head coach doesn't work anymore? I thought the HC was held responsible for anything his staff does. I might could see Freeze skating by if they put all the blame on the boosters of the "Network" but if any staff members are shown to be complicit or knowledgeable about what was going on or if any on the staff gets a show cause (and a few staff members up there have already been allowed to "move on") then it would seem Freeze would be toast based on the new responsibility rules for the HC set up by the NCAA.

starkvegasdawg
04-25-2016, 08:27 AM
If anything, I believe this backfires. The NCAA is on a mission trying to prove their balls have dropped. Outside of the SEC everybody hates the SEC. Who better for the NCAA to prison rape with penalties than some uppity middle tier SEC school that thinks they are more than what they are. Hell, even most of the other SEC schools hate TSUN for the junk they've pulled the last few seasons so you know the SEC office would be close to ok with them being the member school thrown to the wolves. Them hiring slime just shows their desperation and to the NCAA would like they're saying "We know we're guilty as hell, but we're Ole Miss by damn and above the rules". That might just make the NCAA dig their heels in even deeper for more thrusting momentum to get every inch embedded in Col Rebs posterior.

Coach34
04-25-2016, 08:30 AM
. But my issue is that its been spouted for weeks now that an "ignorance" defense for the head coach doesn't work anymore? I thought the HC was held responsible for anything his staff does.

This is what we are all waiting to see at the outcome of all this. And why Freezus has an expensive lawyer.

rbdog82
04-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Obviously consider the source, but a friend of mine in the neighborhood showed me a house that Jesse Mitchell was building and told me "Jesse told me Ole Miss always calls him when they're being investigated." Not sure if he's representing anyone now, but Mitchell could be a name that a coach or the school has gotten for some representation. The house is easily close to $1M.

maroonmania
04-25-2016, 08:38 AM
The hiring of Slive has to help them, but I hope the h*** not.

Interesting there but I'm not sure how much this helps them at this point. I'm not even sure how the NCAA views Slive. I do know that from the day Slive took over he really had no concern about any SEC school cheating he only had concern that whatever one school complained about another that it was nipped in the bud through the SEC office shutting up the accuser. We became the black sheep of the SEC to Slive when we went around the SEC office in reporting the Cam Newton issues directly to the NCAA. I'm sure he loves him some Plantation since they cheat up one side and down the other but don't really squeal on anyone else.

cheewgumm
04-25-2016, 08:40 AM
To Slive was a snake at the SEC office and likely hid a bunch of stuff himself.

In fact if he were still there ( thank god he's not), probably little of this would have come to light .

Jack Lambert
04-25-2016, 08:43 AM

Unless that coach is compensated hugely I don't see that happening either.

Political Hack
04-25-2016, 08:45 AM
To Slive was a snake at the SEC office and likely hid a bunch of stuff himself.

In fact if he were still there ( thank god he's not), probably little of this would have come to light .

Agree. Anyone think the guy who gets a 7 figure bonus every time an sec school wins the national championship wants to see his most talented teams get popped for cheating? The incentive structure would actually encourage him to promote cheating and his rule that teams can't report one another to the NCAA is a pretty good indication of where his loyalties were placed. It's all about money... For the coaches and administrators at least. The students-athletes aren't getting crap in comparison.

Boodawg
04-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Should we still expect to see something after the 30 day extension? I know penalties will not be issued by then, but I was still hoping to see something.

Coach34
04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Should we still expect to see something after the 30 day extension? I know penalties will not be issued by then, but I was still hoping to see something.

Bdork said everything was coming out in 30 days...and Bdork dont lie soooooo

1bigdawg
04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Potentially relevant: Kayak (sp?) was head of the committee that hired Slive for the commissioner's job.

TrapGame
04-25-2016, 09:19 AM
So, OM couldn't get Richard Shwartz?!!**

mic
04-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Remember it's just Track and Women's Hoops.. #9over3

Dawgowar
04-25-2016, 09:35 AM
So, the NCAA must not be playing nice. So rude of them to insist on accountability after all these years. Hire the, I was led to believe, very ill former SEC commish to defend what? Minor allegations from the Ogeron and Nutt eras? This is an act of desperation.

DancingRabbit
04-25-2016, 09:46 AM
So, the NCAA must not be playing nice. So rude of them to insist on accountability after all these years. Hire the, I was led to believe, very ill former SEC commish to defend what? Minor allegations from the Ogeron and Nutt eras? This is an act of desperation.

Sure sounds like they are desperate. Somebody like Dan Wolken needs to ask if Slive has been hired and shed some light on this.

AlSwearengen
04-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Questions: Why would Slive take this on? What is he currently doing? Is he practicing law? I would say he took it out of loyalty to the conference, but then he is going against bama, georgia, and others that turned them in. This is an interesting turn of events for sure.

I would say that if it were only SEC schools that turned them in, Slive would be of help. But, Michigan and probably Nebraska as well as Texas and maybe Ohio State are expecting the ncaa to do something here. It would be bad optics for the former SEC commissioner to come in and help save an SEC school.

TrapGame
04-25-2016, 09:59 AM

Sure looks like they are fighting tooth and nail over "minor" violations that "barely" include any football. I'd say they're scared. You don't hire an ex-SEC commish for spitting on the sidewalk. They're fighting a show cause for Freeze and additional punishment that would be close to the death penalty for the football program.

Tripp McNeely
04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Questions: Why would Slive take this on? What is he currently doing? Is he practicing law? I would say he took it out of loyalty to the conference, but then he is going against bama, georgia, and others that turned them in. This is an interesting turn of events for sure.

I would say that if it were only SEC schools that turned them in, Slive would be of help. But, Michigan and probably Nebraska as well as Texas and maybe Ohio State are expecting the ncaa to do something here. It would be bad optics for the former SEC commissioner to come in and help save an SEC school.

I thought Slive retired because he was on the verge of death? Serious question

Coach007
04-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Has this been confirmed?

maroonmania
04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Good question, last I heard Slive was in cancer treatment of some type. Not sure why a guy with health issues at his age would even want to get involved with this.

Coach34
04-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Yes it has thru the backdoors

Let's see if a Reporter will do their job and start asking questions. And Fatburger- ask if Slive is being hired by OM or any association that is affiliated with OM during this investigation. They will skirt questions if you don't ask them properly

MadDawg
04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Good question, last I heard Slive was in cancer treatment of some type. Not sure why a guy with health issues at his age would even want to get involved with this.

FWIW, Bo said he tried to confirm this and was unable.

sandwolf
04-25-2016, 10:22 AM
FWIW Robertson said something about some OM boosters reaching out to Slive for advice, but he didn't say anything about OM or anyone else hiring him.

BossDawg
04-25-2016, 10:32 AM
If anything, I believe this backfires. The NCAA is on a mission trying to prove their balls have dropped. Outside of the SEC everybody hates the SEC. Who better for the NCAA to prison rape with penalties than some uppity middle tier SEC school that thinks they are more than what they are. Hell, even most of the other SEC schools hate TSUN for the junk they've pulled the last few seasons so you know the SEC office would be close to ok with them being the member school thrown to the wolves. Them hiring slime just shows their desperation and to the NCAA would like they're saying "We know we're guilty as hell, but we're Ole Miss by damn and above the rules". That might just make the NCAA dig their heels in even deeper for more thrusting momentum to get every inch embedded in Col Rebs posterior.

That would be hilarious if it did backfire. If I was working for the NCAA, it would piss me off for sure.

Schultzy
04-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Since Slive had a file 13 policy for tattletales and some of this reaches back to his tenure, he may be feeling the need to protect his own legacy.

NCAA: "Hey Bama and UGA why are you waiting til now to spill this information?!"

Bama and UGA: "We turned them in to our commissioner years ago per Slive's mandated conference policy. He told us not to go to the NCAA and then just sat on it."

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-25-2016, 10:41 AM
"Head coaches in football and basketball will be held directly accountable for NCAA rules violations by members of their coaching staff..."

There was mention above about head coaches possibly being held accountable for assistants..."And the primary message for head coaches is that ignorance will no longer be acceptable as a defense."

Any coach who is found responsible for the most serious violations under those guidelines will be subject to an entire-season suspension, according to the document. I would consider academic fraud to be a most serious violation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/10/25/ncaa-penalty-enforcement-document-board-of-directors/1659413/

Now I'm sure Dr. Victor Fries (Google it) will maintain that he has thoroughly maintained a pristine atmosphere of compliance and monitored his staff and every fan of the plantation on a daily basis.

AlSwearengen
04-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Potentially relevant: Kayak (sp?) was head of the committee that hired Slive for the commissioner's job.

F*$#ing khayat again. I had a Dr.'s wife (big olemiss fans that had a professional relationship with the khayat family) tell me that the khayat's were crooked as hell. Confirmed the rumors.

Mjoelner34
04-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Since Slive had a file 13 policy for tattletales and some of this reaches back to his tenure, he may be feeling the need to protect his own legacy.

NCAA: "Hey Bama and UGA why are you waiting til now to spill this information?!"

Bama and UGA: "We turned them in to our commissioner years ago per Slive's mandated conference policy. He told us not to go to the NCAA and then just sat on it."

Very interesting take. You could be correct.

Jack Lambert
04-25-2016, 11:16 AM

He had prostrate cancer. It's considered the flu of cancer.

Tripp McNeely
04-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I wonder if they hired him as counsel to keep him from talking to the NCAA? I know it's not a court of law, but attorney-client privilege, in a pseudo-NCAA sense, might be their angle?

parabrave
04-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Obviously consider the source, but a friend of mine in the neighborhood showed me a house that Jesse Mitchell was building and told me "Jesse told me Ole Miss always calls him when they're being investigated." Not sure if he's representing anyone now, but Mitchell could be a name that a coach or the school has gotten for some representation. The house is easily close to $1M.

Find out if a lawyer from gulfport with the initials JSO has been retained. He is the guy you hire to keep your butt out of jail. Plus he is a former OM FB player and a big homer and he has been telling people that there is nothing to the allegations.

BulldogBear
04-25-2016, 11:44 AM
He had prostrate cancer. It's considered the flu of cancer.

In my most angsty sound voice possible:

"...I don't know what that means...."

starkvegasdawg
04-25-2016, 11:49 AM
In my most angsty sound voice possible:

"...I don't know what that means...."

It means that if your'e a guy and have to get cancer then that is the one you want. I've heard that in a lot of elderly men they don't even treat it because you'll more than likely die of something else before that kills you. That said, I'm not making light of it because it does kill people every year, but in most cases it's not the death sentence like a lot of other cancers are. Just be sure and get the finger check once you get up around 45 or 50.

Dawgowar
04-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Just remember, the NCAA plays by it's rules. Due process as it is defined in criminal and civil justice does not exist

TrapGame
04-25-2016, 12:05 PM

Great point! Reminds me of Slive coming down on MSU administration for going directly to the NCAA about Cam and not trying to keep it "in house". Slive's a crooked bastard.

confucius say
04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
He was retained to communicate with the NCAA. He has connections and rships. He ain't in an office pouring over thousands of docs, he is the person talking to NCAA and trying to lessen the harm. That's my guess.

MadDawg
04-25-2016, 12:45 PM
He was retained to communicate with the NCAA. He has connections and rships. He ain't in an office pouring over thousands of docs, he is the person talking to NCAA and trying to lessen the harm. That's my guess.

He's been brought on to "develop the facts" that haven't been "developed" yet.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2016, 12:48 PM
I kind of feel that Slive is out of line helping Ole Miss. I get that he's an independent contractor , but OM's cheating has hurt other SEC programs and I don't feel it's Slive's place to help them. Seems like a father favoring one son over the others that he inflicted intentional harm upon.

Jack Lambert
04-25-2016, 12:58 PM
It means that if your'e a guy and have to get cancer then that is the one you want. I've heard that in a lot of elderly men they don't even treat it because you'll more than likely die of something else before that kills you. That said, I'm not making light of it because it does kill people every year, but in most cases it's not the death sentence like a lot of other cancers are. Just be sure and get the finger check once you get up around 45 or 50.

You nailed it. If you going to get cancer this is the one but I wasn't trying to make lite of it.

BulldogBear
04-25-2016, 02:11 PM

That's coming all too quickly!

You nailed it. If you going to get cancer this is the one but I wasn't trying to make lite of it.

Oh, I didn't think you were. I just consider the flu to be pretty sorry compared to say, a headache. I couldn't tell if you were saying that's the one to get or the one you don't want.

Maybe it should have been the gnat or the McDonald's of cancers***

Reason2succeed
04-26-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm glad that Slive's health is doing better so I'm definitely not being literal when I say this but I hope he gets buried with OM. The NCAA has the opportunity to take their manhood back on OM and slime.

Boodawg
04-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Has anyone besides um denied that Slive has been retained? I was hoping that it would be false, only because I figure with his connections and what not, he could lessen the blow. By how much who knows.

sandwolf
04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Has anyone besides um denied that Slive has been retained? I was hoping that it would be false, only because I figure with his connections and what not, he could lessen the blow. By how much who knows.

Here is Steve's take:

I have been told that some involved with the Ole Miss defense team reached out to Slive for some assistance. Seems like an awfully bold move for a program defending themselves against minor and secondary issues, doesn't it?
It is my understanding that Slive has not been hired, but has offered some advice on how to approach things.
I don't blame Ole Miss for wanting to have the best possible defense. We all would hope of the same should our program be in a similar situation.
It is CLEAR that many want a get of jail card that is simply not coming.
I think the bigger issue is why would Ole Miss feel so comfortable reaching out to the former SEC commissioner? If you recall, Bobby Khayat chaired the search committee to hire Roy Kramer's replacement. He pushed the process and ultimately Slive was hired.
During Mike Slive's tenure as SEC commish ten of the 12 schools that comprised the conference had major infractions cases in various sports. The two that didn't? Vandy and you guessed it, Ole Miss. I don't believe that's a happenstance. Quite frankly, I don't want anyone in charge of anything that Ole Miss wants. I would simply reject that on principle.
Slive and Mike Glazier, who represents MSU in NCAA matters, formed a law firm back in 1990 that specialized in handling NCAA cases for member institutions. I have been told that Ole Miss elected to go with the Lightfoot firm in Birmingham rather than Glazier's group to prevent any possible conflicts of interest. I was told last week that Hugh Freeze is being represented by someone in the Glazier group.
Those are some awfully big guns for what some are framing up as a minor and secondary case. I've learned to judge people more so by their actions than their words. You can't say it's a minor deal and what we expected and then go out and bring in the big guns like it's time for an old fashioned shoot out.

I normally wouldn't post direct quotes from his premium board, but he seems to be ok with broadcasting the OM investigation information to the world.