PDA

View Full Version : You think our offensive line depth chart looks bad...

Tripp McNeely
04-23-2016, 11:01 AM
I know some guys are out, Little (who is a true freshman...mind you) will start, etc...but look at this hot garbage

http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article/Offense-Post-Spring-Depth-Chart-44956377

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 11:13 AM
I know some guys are out, Little (who is a true freshman...mind you) will start, etc...but look at this hot garbage

http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article/Offense-Post-Spring-Depth-Chart-44956377

In addition to Little, that list also doesn't include Conyers or Rod Taylor who will both likely start. They don't have the most depth, but really haven't ever had OL depth under Freeze but somehow they get by. Their starting 5 will be head and shoulders more talented than ours, that's for damn sure.

Coach34
04-23-2016, 11:16 AM
They do a good job of getting rid of the ball quick

GTHOM
04-23-2016, 11:43 AM
In addition to Little, that list also doesn't include Conyers or Rod Taylor who will both likely start. They don't have the most depth, but really haven't ever had OL depth under Freeze but somehow they get by. Their starting 5 will be head and shoulders more talented than ours, that's for damn sure.

Elgton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun should make our OL better by default

ScottH
04-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Yup.

Their offense, run correctly, can mask deficiencies. Except coaching decisions.

NCDawg
04-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Based on our OL play over the past several years, we shouldn't be criticizing anybody's offensive line.

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 12:32 PM

Lol...so Ole Miss can make things happen this year with inexperience but we can't? Agendasssssss

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Elgton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun should make our OL better by default

I'm not saying either of those guys will be liabilities, but they are sporting the top OL prospects from MS in '14 and '15 and a Cam Robinson / Laremy Tunsil type LT in their starting 5. We are sporting a bunch of "diamond in the rough" types, two of which have already been proven to be average at best and the other 3 it's way too early to tell. Their first five are better and it isn't even close. The guys behind them? That's another discussion.

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Based on our OL play over the past several years, we shouldn't be criticizing anybody's offensive line.

Several or one?

msstate7
04-23-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm not saying either of those guys will be liabilities, but they are sporting the top OL prospects from MS in '14 and '15 and a Cam Robinson / Laremy Tunsil type LT in their starting 5. We are sporting a bunch of "diamond in the rough" types, two of which have already been proven to be average at best and the other 3 it's way too early to tell. Their first five are better and it isn't even close. The guys behind them? That's another discussion.

You left out a juco all American, 4* tackle we signed. If you're gonna hype their unproven guys, why not the one we signed?

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 01:25 PM
You left out a juco all American, 4* tackle we signed. If you're gonna hype their unproven guys, why not the one we signed?

Because I was only talking about the starters. And their unproven guys except for Little all played a decent amount last season, unlike Rankin.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Because I was only talking about the starters.

I don't think rankin not starting is a settled matter. Besides Clayborn and maybe Calhoun, I don't think anyone should be wrote with a pen

PassInterference
04-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Nearly every year we say their OL will be Swiss cheese, but they still score a lot and beat our ass.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Nearly every year we say their OL will be Swiss cheese, but they still score a lot and beat our ass.
If little is good as advertised, they'll most likely be solid at oline. I think they're problems could be on defense replacing guys like Hilton and elston... Those were 2 really good players for them for the last few years

Jack Lambert
04-23-2016, 01:41 PM

I think Josh Robinson would disagree.

mic
04-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Little is no where the talent Tunsil was...

BrunswickDawg
04-23-2016, 01:58 PM
I think Josh Robinson would disagree.
So would LDP and Vick Ballard.

Coach34
04-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Lol...so Ole Miss can make things happen this year with inexperience but we can't? Agendasssssss

**** you doorknob

For 4 years they have done a really good job of getting the ball out quick to overcome their OL weaknesses. That's just a fact. That's why they have thrown so many more bubble screens than us. That's why they beat Bama and their QB didn't get sacked 10 times like ours did.

Agenda is the new code word for "these facts hurt
my ******* feelings"

Coach34
04-23-2016, 02:31 PM
And if you watched our Spring Game- we threw a ton of sideways passes. Maybe that's Mullen's plan to keep our QB's from getting killed

TUSK
04-23-2016, 02:38 PM
**** you doorknob

For 4 years they have done a really good job of getting the ball out quick to overcome their OL weaknesses. That's just a fact. That's why they have thrown so many more bubble screens than us. That's why they beat Bama and their QB didn't get sacked 10 times like ours did.

Agenda da is the new code word for "these facts hurt
my ******* feelings"

only Bama beats Bama*

msstate7
04-23-2016, 02:44 PM
only Bama beats Bama*

This past year, I agree. I think bama committing 18 TOs, a missed olinemen downfield on a td, and an absolute freakish td by om were more instrumental than OM's getting rid of the ball quickly... That's just me though

Coach34
04-23-2016, 03:51 PM
This past year, I agree. I think bama committing 18 TOs, a missed olinemen downfield on a td, and an absolute freakish td by om were more instrumental than OM's getting rid of the ball quickly... That's just me though

OM still had to put the ball in the end zone- and they did. They QB didn't get sacked 10 times-'and they even played without Tonsil. It's just a fact they get rid of the ball faster in the offense. I can tell you- but I can't understand it for you

msstate7
04-23-2016, 03:59 PM
OM still had to put the ball in the end zone- and they did. They QB didn't get sacked 10 times-'and they even played without Tonsil. It's just a fact they get rid of the ball faster in the offense. I can tell you- but I can't understand it for you

I never contested that om gets rid of the ball quickly. I contested that's why they beat bama. The 5 TOs, missed call on om td, and fluke td played a much bigger part in their 6-pt win imo

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 04:13 PM
**** you doorknob

For 4 years they have done a really good job of getting the ball out quick to overcome their OL weaknesses. That's just a fact. That's why they have thrown so many more bubble screens than us. That's why they beat Bama and their QB didn't get sacked 10 times like ours did. Its guys like you that think they know it all

Agenda is the new code word for "these facts hurt
my ******* feelings"

So the Ole ball coach is sensitive now? I could call you out for more things but I stick to football. Its guys like you that claim to be super fans that piss me off the most. You get 3rd party info and beat your chest off of it. Get a life.

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I don't think rankin not starting is a settled matter. Besides Clayborn and maybe Calhoun, I don't think anyone should be wrote with a pen

I think that quote in and of itself proves my point. We have one or two guys at most that we can even expect to play above average based on what we know right now, and thats in spite of the fact that we return 4 starters. They have guys like Rawlings, Patterson, and Taylor who have all played and played well within their system. Whether that's getting the ball out quick or just running zone reads or whatever you wanna call it, they have executed it. If Conyers is healthy, thats a 4th guy that is a proven player and then Little is the best of the bunch and that makes 5.

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 04:25 PM
I think that quote in and of itself proves my point. We have one or two guys at most that we can even expect to play above average based on what we know right now, and thats in spite of the fact that we return 4 starters. They have guys like Rawlings, Patterson, and Taylor who have all played and played well within their system. Whether that's getting the ball out quick or just running zone reads or whatever you wanna call it, they have executed it. If Conyers is healthy, thats a 4th guy that is a proven player and then Little is the best of the bunch and that makes 5.

How do you suspect a guy that has never played a down in the SEC to be the best of the group?

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 04:59 PM
How do you suspect a guy that has never played a down in the SEC to be the best of the group?

I think him being the #1 left tackle and a top 5 overall prospect in the country last year has something to do with it. Would you rather have him, Jenkins, or Rankin if you could choose only one to play next season?

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 05:29 PM
I think him being the #1 left tackle and a top 5 overall prospect in the country last year has something to do with it. Would you rather have him, Jenkins, or Rankin if you could choose only one to play next season?

Honestly, Rankin because he has 3 years college experience. There are not many Tunsil's in the world.

Coach34
04-23-2016, 07:53 PM
So the Ole ball coach is sensitive now? I could call you out for more things but I stick to football. Its guys like you that claim to be super fans that piss me off the most. You get 3rd party info and beat your chest off of it. Get a life.

There is no 3rd party info in watching OM on offense vs our team on offense with our West Coast diagonal style of passing attack we have used out of the Spread. There is no 3rd party info in watching how OM gets rid of the ball vs Dakota standing back there holding the ball and Bama hammering his ass.

I've said numerous times that OM losing all the guys on the OL will be a problem for them. It takes time to gel and get comfortable with the little nuances between C-OG and OG-OT. Nobody is disputing that. But I will guarantee that they have fewer sacks allowed in 2016 than we do.

and I'm hungover today. short fuse. We partied last night

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 08:35 PM
There is no 3rd party info in watching OM on offense vs our team on offense with our West Coast diagonal style of passing attack we have used out of the Spread. There is no 3rd party info in watching how OM gets rid of the ball vs Dakota standing back there holding the ball and Bama hammering his ass.

I've said numerous times that OM losing all the guys on the OL will be a problem for them. It takes time to gel and get comfortable with the little nuances between C-OG and OG-OT. Nobody is disputing that. But I will guarantee that they have fewer sacks allowed in 2016 than we do.

and I'm hungover today. short fuse. We partied last night

Alright....party on.

aerodawg
04-23-2016, 09:11 PM
I never contested that om gets rid of the ball quickly. I contested that's why they beat bama. The 5 TOs, missed call on om td, and fluke td played a much bigger part in their 6-pt win imo

The 5 TOs is kind of a moot point if you fail to score off of them. I'm as hopeful as the next guy that our offensive line improves this year, but lets not act like we would have beaten Bama last year if they gave us 5 TOs. Taking defense totally out of equation we would not have dropped 30 on them with 5 TOs. If you have a crappy run game, you gotta have an "extended" run game of passes getting out immediately, which is what Ole Miss does very well. Personally, I would rather we had a really good run game, but we for damn sure need to get the ball out quicker a lot more if we don't.

Dawgface
04-23-2016, 09:11 PM

And if you watched our Spring Game- we threw a ton of sideways passes. Maybe that's Mullen's plan to keep our QB's from getting killed

If you can't beat them......join them.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 09:18 PM
The 5 TOs is kind of a moot point if you fail to score off of them. I'm as hopeful as the next guy that our offensive line improves this year, but lets not act like we would have beaten Bama last year if they gave us 5 TOs. Taking defense totally out of equation we would not have dropped 30 on them with 5 TOs. If you have a crappy run game, you gotta have an "extended" run game of passes getting out immediately, which is what Ole Miss does very well. Personally, I would rather we had a really good run game, but we for damn sure need to get the ball out quicker a lot more if we don't.

Do you think om scores like that in the 10th game of the year vs bama? I don't. I don't think we would've scored the same amount of points vs bama early, but I do think we would've looked much better vs them early esp with 5 TOs

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Honestly, Rankin because he has 3 years college experience. There are not many Tunsil's in the world.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. And Rankin only has 2 years experience and those are at the JUCO level.

bulldawg28
04-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. And Rankin only has 2 years experience and those are at the JUCO level.

Did he not redshirt last year? I would think that equals 3 years of college football.

maroonmania
04-23-2016, 10:12 PM
The difference in the UNM offensive lines over ours is they usually have 1 or 2 studs mixed in with a lot of other patchwork. But that makes a huge difference. 2 stud OL mixed in with 3 average guys is just a much better OL than 5 average guys. Last year we just had 5 average guys and that doesn't cut it against SEC defenses. When we had Gabe Jackson it made a huge difference for us and that was just one stud guy.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 10:16 PM
The difference in the UNM offensive lines over ours is they usually have 1 or 2 studs mixed in with a lot of other patchwork. But that makes a huge difference. 2 stud OL mixed in with 3 average guys is just a much better OL than 5 average guys. Last year we just had 5 average guys and that doesn't cut it against SEC defenses. When we had Gabe Jackson it made a huge difference for us and that was just one stud guy.

They're losing 2 nfl tackles... Hopefully little isn't on tunsil's level

Coach34
04-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Do you think om scores like that in the 10th game of the year vs bama? I don't. I don't think we would've scored the same amount of points vs bama early, but I do think we would've looked much better vs them early esp with 5 TOs

Its a moot point and can't be answered. Bama fumbled 2 KO's that night- nobody thinks that's ever going to happen at any point of the season.

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 11:12 PM

Agreed.

HSVDawg
04-23-2016, 11:16 PM
Did he not redshirt last year? I would think that equals 3 years of college football.

I guess you could say he has "college football experience" but I don't know that his limited reps against Torrey Dale while he was on the scout team offense plus two years against JUCO competition really qualifies as much tangible advantage over a talent like Little. They both have the same amount of SEC game experience. I'd sure love for Rankin to come out next year and be the badass we thought he was when we signed him though.

Schultzy
04-24-2016, 02:27 AM
We threw a ton of bubbles early in 2014, especially in our win at Baton Rouge but then we went away from doing that. Never understood why.

bulldawg28
04-24-2016, 06:28 AM
I guess you could say he has "college football experience" but I don't know that his limited reps against Torrey Dale while he was on the scout team offense plus two years against JUCO competition really qualifies as much tangible advantage over a talent like Little. They both have the same amount of SEC game experience. I'd sure love for Rankin to come out next year and be the badass we thought he was when we signed him though.

Your perception of redshirting is not how college football works. Your contradicting yourself talking the potential of one athlete but downing the other based off your measuring scale. Everyone Rankin has faced in the last 3 years is better than anything Little has seen.

HSVDawg
04-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Your perception of redshirting is not how college football works. Your contradicting yourself talking the potential of one athlete but downing the other based off your measuring scale. Everyone Rankin has faced in the last 3 years is better than anything Little has seen.

All anyone knows about Rankin at this point is that he couldn't win a starting job on our putrid OL last year. Maybe he just needed an adjustment year and he improves this season, maybe he just wasn't worth the hype. Who knows. But given the choice and the data available, I'm taking the #1 OL in the nation out of HS over him every single time. Maybe that's just me.

And one other thing, JUCO recruiting rankings are not even remotely close to as accurate as HS rankings, and even when they are accurate they are judging a much smaller pool of prospects. For that reason alone, you can almost always guarantee that the #1 HS recruit in a given class will be more talented than the #1 JUCO recruit at the same position just about every time with very few exceptions.

bulldawg28
04-24-2016, 01:41 PM
All anyone knows about Rankin at this point is that he couldn't win a starting job on our putrid OL last year. Maybe he just needed an adjustment year and he improves this season, maybe he just wasn't worth the hyoe. Who knows. But given the choice and the data available, I'm taking the #1 OL in the nation out of HS over him every single time. Maybe that's just me.

Point well taken.